Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2019, 10:05   #2956
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
They keep harping on pedigree so much, as if the Tata pedigree is something that will excite the indian car buyer. What pedigree? The pedigree of Tata Indica, Indigo, Sumo, Zest or Nano?

Why don't car manufacturers focus on giving information on specific engineering features rather than trying to resort to gobbledygook? Like what in heavens name is one supposed to understand from the term "Optimal Modular Efficient Global Advanced Architecture"?

That being said, Harrier seems interesting. Would like to test drive the vehicle, but scared of a Tata product. Definitely not impressed by the pedigree, if one can call it that.
I learnt driving on a TATA indica Dicor (an endangered species), even have a detailed page here dedicated to our first family car TATA estate. It was one of those really long cars that still managed a smaller turning radius. TATA Safari and Sierra have their respective fan clubs.

When I test drove the Zest, i realized the effort taken to tune the suspension, the responsive steering feel and value for money In Car Entertainment system. And even now when i sit in Zest cabs that have run atleast 75k and above, I feel they are holding up much better than earlier TATA cars.

So they definitely have a pedigree of their own in many aspects but we just have to have an unbiased eye to look at it

Cant speak much about the Land Rover as never had the privilege of driving one.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th January 2019 at 11:16. Reason: Formatting for improved readability
shridhar.s.i is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 12:14   #2957
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
Multiple Harrier power train options under development:-

If the below id true I suppose the power and torque curves could be substantially different from the Compass.

source

source

I'd be very interested in a 180hp AT option for the Harrier.

Any idea when the AT options are coming?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th January 2019 at 15:10. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 25th January 2019, 12:29   #2958
BHPian

I am watching this thread since the beginning. Harrier is what it offers at a price point, either you hate it or love it. Now people want AWD, Sunroof and bhah blah as luxury. I fail to understand -

1. How sunroof is relevant in the Indian weather context as a luxury item? Why I should pay for it if I don't want it?
2. How many people use that AWD? What percentage? Why people need luxury with off-roading capabilities?

Can anybody please enlighten me on the above points? How does it make harrier any less VFM?

Last edited by Zappo : 25th January 2019 at 13:56. Reason: Next time please do take your time to compose your post well. Far too many grammatical issues and typos exist in your post.
omishra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 12:40   #2959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
1. How sunroof is relevant in Indian weather context as a luxary item? Why I should pay for it if I don't want it.
2. How many people use that AWD? What percentage? Why people needs luxury with offloading capabilities?
Agreed. But these 2 items are more of a show-off/bragging factors which many customers look for. So what people are saying is that these items should be there as an option for customers to choose if they want, especially when the competition offers them.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th January 2019 at 15:12. Reason: Edited quoted post
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 13:15   #2960
BHPian

I'm surprised there are no print ads in the newspapers.

Are there any TV commercials?
Old 25th January 2019, 13:18   #2961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. How sunroof is relevant in Indian weather context as a luxury item? Why I should pay for it if I don't want it.
2. How many people use that AWD? What percentage? Why people needs luxury with offloading capabilities?

Can anybody please enlighten me about above points, how it makes harrier less VFM?
It doesn't make it less VFM but makes it less desirable for 'some people' . IMHO these 'some people' (and the ones who are particular about finer details) are decided by Maslow's need hierarchy.

Last edited by Guna : 25th January 2019 at 13:27.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 13:49   #2962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleo4 View Post
Orcus White HARRIER would be my Color, if I'll Pick one!
The white indeed looks good.

But I'm more interested in the dark colors.
If anyone finds the Telesto Grey, please post it on the forum.
Haven't seen anything other than the brighter colors on the Harrier.

Still remember how good our Indica V2 back in 2006 looked draped in Black.
Old 25th January 2019, 13:59   #2963
BHPian

This car could be a smash hit in Europe if priced against the Dacia but quality control could kill it

Last edited by ajmat : 25th January 2019 at 14:56.
Tstag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 14:08   #2964
Distinguished - BHPian

Just Test Drove the Harrier;

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190125_131418.jpg

My initial observations are as under;

1) The clutch is too light, everything is happening in the 1st 25% of the actuation & then it's kinda blank. No sort of mechanical feel to it, it seems it's engineered to be artificially light.

2) 1st to 2nd gear wheel spin observed, interesting as the car is not too powerful & definitely not light.

3) Engine is loud and unrefined after 50% of the rev range.

4) Braking is excellent.

5) Ride Quality is excellent.

6) Visibility is Good.

7) Seating position was not a problem.

8) Everytime you change the mode there is a lady talking to you and informing you what mode you are in (WoW , but very annoying and unnecessary).

9) Steering is good at high speeds.

10) Steering hornpad finish is concave ! Why ?

11) Hill Hold assist works well.

12) Hill descent control works both in Gear & also in Neutral.

13) Indicator stalk felt good to use.

14) Seat /Leather quality is great.

15) ORVM are Big and provide good Visibility and enhance the looks.

16) A lot has been positively said about the space, IMO it's good but the terms 'acres of legroom' does not apply.

17) Gearshifts quality is just OK, though I did not grind/ miss any gear but it's not crisp. The shifting experience is very average, sorta liquidy.

18) The car beeps once you cross some speed (under 100kmh too it happened)

19) Rear camera quality is poor.

Conclusion;

I definitely did not enjoy driving the Harrier, dare I say I enjoyed the Nexon more, but in flesh the desirability of the Harrier & USP is definitely the way it looks, the way it rides (chauffeur driven audience), music system of the XZ & that's all I can personally think of.

Was extremely eager to buy the Harrier but after this test drive I am confused. Though I'd still recommend it for the chauffeur driven audience who never take the wheel, but in my case though this would have been chauffeur driven I wouldn't have felt Driving it much.
Request prospective customers to test drive before finalizing your Harriers.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th January 2019 at 22:26. Reason: Minor formatting
karan561 is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 14:13   #2965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Agreed. But these 2 items are more of a show-off/bragging factors which many customers look for. So what people are saying is that these items should be there as an option for customers to choose if they want, especially when the competition offers them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
It doesn't make it less VFM but makes it less desirable for 'some people' . IMHO these 'some people' (and the ones who are particular about finer details) are decided by Maslow's need hierarchy.
Thank you both for the explanation. So that population of 'some people' might be including few KB warriors just posting rants, may be on this product in this thread? But generate sense of negativity towards Harrier.

Last edited by omishra : 25th January 2019 at 14:17.
Old 25th January 2019, 15:06   #2966
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1. How sunroof is relevant in the Indian weather context as a luxury item? Why I should pay for it if I don't want it?
2. How many people use that AWD? What percentage? Why people need luxury with off-roading capabilities?

Can anybody please enlighten me on the above points? How does it make harrier any less VFM?
As for the sunroof, everybody thinks they live in a Mediterranean climate until reality hits them. Ony use in India are for cheering fans after an Indo-Pak cricket match and for parent who want to kill their kids.

However in Bangalore, the winter weather makes it viable as also early morning.

I doubt Tata will introduce the sunroof. They will not get the return on investment to engineer this. If it uses the same roof panel of the Freelander, we might get a fixed panoramic roof but that adds a good 30kg onto the car.

When it comes to AWD - For reference, JLR told me that only 10% of Range Rover owners use AWD capability. Much less for us humble folks. Thats why Jeep are dithering about the 4WD Compass. Unless there is a fleet (read military order), we might not see it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Its like us wanting a 1000W stereo !

Last edited by SDP : 25th January 2019 at 20:48. Reason: Minor typos
ajmat is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 15:23   #2967
BHPian

Quote:
I am watching this thread since the beginning. Harrier is what it offers at a price point, either you hate it or love it. Now people want AWD, Sunroof and bhah blah as luxury. I fail to understand -

Every year I go on 4-5 road trips. Some of them are over the western ghats. As you drive along the twisties, I can see the beautiful tree covered roads in front of me and I wish my car had a sunroof (a panoramic one if money permits) so that my 3 year kid and parents sitting behind me could enjoy all the greenery. Don't know how much it costs, but I also don't see why cars at this price point cannot provide it at least as an option.

For the rest of the time (in cities or in summer) I will keep it closed though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The panoramic sunroof for me is like 10W RMS Class A

Last edited by sprocket : 25th January 2019 at 15:26.
sprocket is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 15:55   #2968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I doubt Tata will introduce the sunroof. They will not get the return on investment to engineer this. If it uses the same roof panel of the Freelander, we might get a fixed panoramic roof but thatadds a good 30kg onto the car.

Well, when I checked out the car, the center console on roof near windshield has a dummy in the center which I am sure would host the sunroof button in some months. Like it or not, sunroof has become one of those features which a lot of manufacturer’s would like to tick.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th January 2019 at 22:10. Reason: Manf to manufacturer.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 16:19   #2969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

2) 1st to 2nd gear wheel spin observed, interesting as the car is not too powerful & definitely not light.
3) Engine is loud and unrefined after 50% of the rev range.
Look at the Torque curve of the engine in this tune vs that of the 170 Bhp tune in Compass.

Thi engine in this tune puts out more torque upto 2000rpm, about the same till 2700 and then the curve starts dropping.

If you get a chance to TD again try up-shifting early and putting the A pedal to metal, and again up-shifting as soon you reach 2500rpm or so.

You will actually get to feel the torque curve.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th January 2019 at 07:25. Reason: Minor formatting to improve readability
Rahul Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 16:37   #2970
BHPian

Saw this intriguing quote from Business Today;
"The new Tata Harrier will be launched in four trims with diesel engines only, namely XE, XM, XT and XZ. While the base XE variant has been priced at Rs 12.69 lakh, the top end XZ variant will come with a price tag of Rs 16 lakh. The price will include insurance costs and registration fee, Tata Motors has assured"

Link - https://www.businesstoday.in/sectors...ry/312775.html
redbaron91 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed