Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2019, 13:55   #3076
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Is this what you are trying to say?
Exactly. Sorry - I missed this being pointed out already, but how can someone from the design team miss this obvious flaw?
This was disappointing as I really want Tata to succeed in this new chapter of theirs and have been singing praises of their new line of cars to my friends and family whenever the topic arises.

Last edited by SDP : 30th January 2019 at 15:01. Reason: Added missing word
Old 30th January 2019, 15:42   #3077
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Finally went ahead with my cancellation. As stated earlier main reason being lack of automatic option. Though I would've preferred a test drive before cancellation but TD vehicle is not available at BTM showroom yet.

For those who are interested, if the booking is postponed tentative waiting period is as follows [from dealer email] - we can assume this is the case for fresh bookings as well:

Harrier XE Diesel 18 - 22 *Weeks
Harrier XM Diesel 12 - 15 *Weeks
Harrier XT Diesel 12 - 15 *Weeks
Harrier XZ Diesel 12 - 15 *Weeks
somspaple is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 15:50   #3078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
For those who are interested, if the booking is postponed tentative waiting period is as follows [from dealer email] - we can assume this is the case for fresh bookings as well:

Harrier XE Diesel 18 - 22 *Weeks
Harrier XM Diesel 12 - 15 *Weeks
Harrier XT Diesel 12 - 15 *Weeks
Harrier XZ Diesel 12 - 15 *Weeks
I wonder if the longer waiting period for the XE variant is due to higher demand or lower scheduled production. I would tend to imagine it is the latter!
Strangerintown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 16:29   #3079
BHPian

I managed a quick 5 minute visit to the KHT TATA showroom on the intermediate ring road. Noticed two identical harriers so decided to check out neil.jericho's excellent observations on quality. What I found mirrors his findings, and this was on BOTH vehicles which points to bad QC.

On the good points, I think the car looks great, has enough space on the inside and also manages to look classy for the most part. I didn't have a problem finding a comfortable driving position as has been indicated by some, but I do agree that the handbrake is a bit of a disaster.

I don't know if anyone has picked this up, but when I peered under the vehicle I found that the rear coil springs are really not very thick and are about the same gauge as my Linea!!

Enclosing some pics of the issues I found with comments attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrier1.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrier2.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrier3.jpg  

keroo1099 is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 19:22   #3080
BHPian

Looks like interest is gradually tapering off.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-20190130_191901.jpg

Blue=Harrier
Red=Creta
Yellow=Compass

Source: Google trends.
rovingeye is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 19:30   #3081
BHPian

Received a call from KHT WHITEFIELD today to collect my cancellation cheque and there was no deduction. Got all of 30,000 INR back. Requested cancellation on 23rd and received the cheque on 30th with 0 followups or reminders from my side. Really well handled by KHT and TATA. The only fly in the ointment was no one, NO ONE asked why I am cancelling. though, I am not complaining about the West like treatment.

Last edited by GTO : 31st January 2019 at 08:13. Reason: Typo fixed.
v6kgang is offline   (6) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 30th January 2019, 19:34   #3082
BHPian

Does anyone know the turning radius of Harrier? When is the official bhp review expected to be available?
Old 30th January 2019, 19:52   #3083
Senior - BHPian

Re: First impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Sorry Tata, but with the Harrier, Im reminded of the famous quote - your mouth (marketing team) wrote a cheque that your body (production team) cant cash.

Many people are highlighting this section of Harrier that there is a inconsistency in the lines from top to bottom.

So I went to the the VW showroom and clicked photos of Tiguan (bright white door) which is a segment higher than harrier and of course it is from VW. German quality.

And yes there is a inconsistency in Tiguan as well.

Well, I have posted photos of Hyundai Creta (silver door) and Jeep Compass in my earlier post however posting again for reference. Similar inconsistency in both cars.

However no one will complain about Tiguan, Creta and Compass. So when it comes to other manufacturer. The gap is on purpose or design element. When it comes to TATA, it is a panel gap and poor quality from Tata.

I am not saying that Tata's quality is always excellent in every car. there might be few cars with little paint defect or rubber not inserted properly. However this happens with every manufacturer and no one discuss so seriously. However people love to highlight such things when it is about Tata.
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img20190130172424.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img20190130172441.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190130_193019.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190130_193103.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190130_193140.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 30th January 2019 at 20:56. Reason: Typos fied. Pictures inserted in-line.
tushky is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 20:11   #3084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Many people are highlighting this section of Harrier that there is a inconsistency in the lines from top to bottom.

So i went to the the VW showroom and clicked photos of Tiguan (bright white door) which is a segment higher than harrier and of course it is from VW. German quality.
This is indeed not a defect and done deliberately. Since the bottom plastic cladding is bulging outside the metal surface, there has to be more gap compared to the sheet metal part. Otherwise, the plastic parts will rub each other (where they are hinged) when the door is opened. You will also see the edges of the plastic cladding are chamfered to address the same.

Last edited by Guna : 30th January 2019 at 20:14.
Guna is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 20:14   #3085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is indeed not a defect and done deliberately. Since the bottom plastic cladding is bulging outside the metal surface, there has to be more gap compared to the sheet metal part. Otherwise, the plastic parts will rub each other (where they are hinged) when the door is opened.
Exactly, however people are highlighting this gap in harrier as inconsistency in the upper and bottom line.
tushky is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 21:10   #3086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So I went to the the VW showroom and clicked photos of Tiguan (bright white door) which is a segment higher than harrier and of course it is from VW. German quality.

And yes there is a inconsistency in Tiguan as well.

Well, I have posted photos of Hyundai Creta (silver door) and Jeep Compass in my earlier post however posting again for reference. Similar inconsistency in both cars.

I am not saying that Tata's quality is always excellent in every car. there might be few cars with little paint defect or rubber not inserted properly. However this happens with every manufacturer and no one discuss so seriously. However people love to highlight such things when it is about Tata.
Bang on. I too read few pages here and the general trend is - > Go to the showroom, start finding creases and gaps and come and post here.

I just went down and did similar things on my Dodge charger, pulled out the soft trim lining and took a photo, pulled out a plastic trim and took a photo , can i claim its a QA issue ?

The tail gate has rubber stoppers which can be adjusted to tightness and plushness as and its assembled after the BIW structure is prepared. People here are going overboard and claiming that robots cant do a great job.

I have volvos, hondas, toyotas, BMW and Lexus in my parking lot. I have seen all of them closely after seeing the overall bashing on the panel gaps and measurements which is expected to be in microns , since its TATA and believe me all these cars have similar panel gaps, either by design or by the virtue of manufacturing.

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2019 at 08:08. Reason: You can get your point across without being RUDE. Next time, infraction
amit_mechengg is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 21:36   #3087
Distinguished - BHPian

So finally got down to checking out the Harrier in the Tata showroom on Sohna road, Gurgaon. Walked into the showroom at around 5 30pm and spent a good 30min seeing the car thoroughly. I could not start the engine or check out the audio system though. The showroom staff also seemed least interested in showing me the car due to the backlog of 4 months which they already have. They seemed a happy lot content with the sales they have already got! Anyway I was also happier checking out the car in peace and without any intrusions!
Overall the design looks quite impressive and modern and looks very evoquish and also a bigger size comaparable to the Land rover Discovery sport and it does resemble that a bit in the side profile.
The panel gaps and fit and finish on the display car were consistent and there were no alarming mismatches that I could see. The panel gaps are definitely higher than German cars but they were consistent in most places. The Harrier is a huge step up from any of the previous Tata cars and even the Nexon. There are a few oddities here and there like the handbrake lever which is fiddly to operate and the door opening lever which is too close the the doorpad, but overall the ergonomics are decent. There is good amount of headroom and legroom also in the car, both in front as well as the rear seat. The boot space is also fairly large and well shaped. Below the boot floor also there are also two compartments where one can keep things like a laptop bag out of prying eyes.
One still needs to climb into the Harrier using the side step as it is a high car.
Overall a good effort from Tata and I will probably wait for the Auto box to come in along with the seven seater and this will be a contender for my next car probably after 8-9 months to replace our Laura. Sharing some pictures that I took.
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190130_175509.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190130_175643.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190130_175457.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190130_175352.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190130_175403.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190130_175239.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190130_175257.jpg
Behemoth is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 22:05   #3088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly, however people are highlighting this gap in harrier as inconsistency in the upper and bottom line.
What one should look for is, whether the gap is constant within the metal section, or plastic section. It is for a similar reason you see more gaps between 2 sections of the split tail lamps. More gap is provided to account for any possible mismatch in the panels beneath.

@amit_mechengg, while some of these issues pointed out may not be genuine, many others are 'genuine issues' (or rather 'areas of potential improvement). Gaps will be there in all cars but in 'well made' cars, they appear deliberate .

Last edited by Guna : 30th January 2019 at 22:11.
Guna is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 22:21   #3089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However no one will complain about Tiguan, Creta and Compass. So when it comes to other manufacturer. The gap is on purpose or design element. When it comes to TATA, it is a panel gap and poor quality from Tata.

Thank you for taking the time to showcase the differences between the cars you mentioned as compared to the Tata Harrier. On close observation, with my untrained eye, I feel the gap in the Harrier is a lot more (even if it is intentional), as compared to the pictures you have shown. Maybe I need to check those cars in person to notice the differences.

Now I don't think everyone is losing their collective minds about the issue you have highlighted, but I do feel, as someone who almost bought a Rs 20L Tata in 2018 and as a fairly unbiased TBHPian, that the following issues in my earlier post (some of which has been validated by other BHPians in other cities) are concerning
- Differences in tail light gaps
- Poor paint quality in certain sections
- Gum peeling off the hood of the dash (on a 3 day old car)
- Rubber beading coming off
- Screw sticking out from the front door corner assembly
- Rubber pieces of inconsistent length
- Panels near the headlight completely misaligned

Again, please note that I am not bashing it because its a Tata. Im pointing out QC issues that I don't expect from a Rs 20 L car, irrespective of the badge. More so, when the marketing team has gone all out to promote it for months on end for its pedigree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Bang on. I too read few pages here and the general trend is - > Go to the showroom, start finding creases and gaps and come and post here.
A forum is only worthwhile if there is content posted on it. If people don't post their perspectives and findings, this would be like most other forums in India. Dead. And then nobody learns and benefits. Would you suggest as Team BHPians, we find issues in cars and keep quiet about it?

Quote:
I just went down and did similar things on my Dodge charger, pulled out the soft trim lining and took a photo, pulled out a plastic trim and took a photo , can i claim its a QA issue ?
I fail to see your perspective here, so maybe you can help me understand. You suggest that you could hypothetically deceive fellow TBHPians (and non TBHPian readers) by willingly showing incorrect photos of a car and you compare that hypotethical situation to actual observations made by TBHPians in showrooms across the country under the watchful eye of the company salespeople?

Quote:
The tail gate has rubber stoppers which can be adjusted to tightness and plushness as and its assembled after the BIW structure is prepared. People here are going overboard and claiming that robots cant do a great job.
I don't recall anyone stating that. The questions that I saw were related to inconsistent quality output from an automated process. Now if an automated process cannot deliver on higher output, then certainly TBHPians will be curious as to the reasons. If other auto manufacturers can improve quality levels with automation, why cant Tata?

Also, is you see my response to tushyk, its not just one issue or two. Its the combination of multiple QC issues on a much hyped supposed game changer for Tata Motors on a car kept for display in a company showroom that is supposed to convince customers to part with their hard earned money! None of us are drawing conclusions on the supposed quality levels of the Harrier by peeking through the window of a test mule spotted in a roadside dhaba.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 30th January 2019 at 22:27.
neil.jericho is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 22:30   #3090
Team-BHP Support

Saw the Harrier for the first time in person at the Delhi airport, and although it was a pretty short meeting to note anything worthwhile - first impression was that its a much better design in flesh rather than pictures.

PS: Quality of this car was ok. Didn't find any panels or plastics falling off shape.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190130_181152_960.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (27) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks