Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2019, 20:49   #3121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post

Mercedes Benz, Renault and Volvo are some examples I can quote.
That's exactly the issue. Tata is neither Mercedes nor Volvo to ride on the brand value and be courageous enough to sport the same logo for commercial as well as private vehicles.

To this day, that old Tata logo reminds people of noisy 407s and unpleasant indicas.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 31st January 2019 at 20:52.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 21:49   #3122
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Got a chance to drive the Harrier for 20 odd kms today in varied traffic conditions.

A few observations

1. Low end Torque is good enough to crawl in the traffic, be it first gear or 2nd gear. It crawls without being jerky.
2. Clutch is super light, feels weird initially. Stalled it twice, but got a hang of it pretty soon. You dont have to develop leg muscles nor will your legs muscles suffer by using Harrier's clutch on a daily basis
3. The car had only 297 kms when I got to drive it, Engine still felt tight and boomy noise when revved hard. Based on whatever little experience I have with the MJD, this will settle down after a few thousand miles are clocked and will rev a lot more freely.
4. Brakes felt spongy at higher speeds but at low speeds it feels absolutely fine.
5. Ride felt stiff and suspension thudded on the flyover joints. On my return, checked the air pressure to be 40 PSI, recommended is 32 PSI.
6. Steering is neither too heavy nor light. Provides moderate feedback.
7. AC is chilling, blower a bit on the noisier side.
8. Left knee hit the center console when the seat was set at the highest position. It was still uncomfortable for my seating position .
9. Indicator signals on the center console is funky. The display is crisp, but did not include the fuel level indicator (fuel gauge).
10. Alloy design is boring
11. Driver side outer rear view mirror literally blocks space which can easily house an A segment car. Definitely need to stretch to check if there are no vehicles. The A pillar was obstructing the top right corner of the left outer rear view mirror. Could be due the my seating position.
12. Daytime running lights are bright, its reflects off the vehicle in front in broad daylight.

Will try to do a detailed drive again with the correct tyre pressure to check the ride quality.

Last edited by ajmat : 31st January 2019 at 23:11.
nkrishnap is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 22:22   #3123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
To this day, that old Tata logo reminds people of noisy 407s and unpleasant indicas.
Didn't the Indica carry the new Tata Logo and not the old one?
Old 31st January 2019, 22:24   #3124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
Didn't the Indica carry the new Tata Logo and not the old one?
Indica did not carry old logo iirc, but what I meant is that we get reminded of old trucks and old times when Tatas used to be very problematic.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 22:47   #3125
Senior - BHPian

Checked out a Harrier briefly today in a Delhi Showroom. It was almost showroom closing time, no sales guy approached me to show the vehicle. I called for one as I was not able to figure out the telescopic steering thing, silly me. The only observation I had for now is that I failed to find a comfortable seating position for my 6 feet 1 cm, 120+ kg frame. In most of the position my left knee was fouling with the lower portion of the dashboard. Front seats could have been erogonmically better, I won't be able to elaborate on this, maybe later I can after spending relatively more time with it. This I have wrote elsewhere also in the context of Hexa, I am repeating it here, Tata still needs to learn few more chapter from the book "How to make luxury and premium cars".
Old 31st January 2019, 23:18   #3126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
9. Indicator signals on the center console is funky. The display is crisp, but did not include the fuel level indicator (fuel gauge).
@nkrishnap - Didn't you see the fuel gauge in the middle as seen in the image attached above? It does not have a clear, fixed fuel gauge, but is part of the digital console and moves up and down instead of fixed analog or digital (point by point) meter.

Hope this answers your doubt or lack of observation of a fuel gauge. Maybe the fuel level in the test drive vehicle was so low that you may not have been able to see it like how it is shown above.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 23:57   #3127
Senior - BHPian

Re: First impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

Reading your statements, what I understood is, you could go down to your car, pull out / remove say a wheel lug or a headlight or a plastic trim, take a photo, and then say it is a quality issue. However, the posts in this thread are merely observations of Rs 20L cars kept for display in a company showroom. Nobody is pulling out anything or removing anything from a Harrier and claiming poor quality. That's the big difference.

Why make life difficult for cockroaches?
I can't help you with your understanding, because i am not speaking of removing a wheel lug, headlight, doors, engine etc out from the car to showcase a quality issue. Also if you are feeling that i am targeting any of your posts made then i am sorry, that's not the case. I am referring to the general trend that has suddenly popped up here.

Let me be specific, look at the photo below. I hope we all know what the soft trim lining or insert are.
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-untitled.jpg

Now lets see more pics here. These are the various panels on high end cars in global market.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190131_070503.jpg
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190131_070507.jpg
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190131_070520.jpg
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190131_070554.jpg
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190131_070623.jpg
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190131_100140.jpg

Now if someone chooses to be a critic only for tata products then no one can help.

And whats up with continuously mentioning its a 17 lac car ? Can't Tata manufacture a costly car? Are they supposed to produce only cheap cars or sell at lower prices?

Lets not portray as if tata is passing on a average old era product in 17 lacs. The harrier has all that's worth the cost. Its the only 4X2 with terrain control, it has a global architecture used in the build. The interiors are manufactured by Benecke- Kaliko, who are the world class manufacturers and suppliers to BMW too. The in car entertainment is supplied by one of the best audio manufacturers, the touchscreen is supplied by same manufacturer who does it for Land Rover etc. The engine is bought from FIAT and its a proven mill. All this comes at a cost and if TATA is assembling all these world class parts for its customers, lets not try to find discount in it just coz its TATA.

I think they have a killer pricing to offer and customer gets best bang for buck.

I rest my case here. I just hope and pray that Tata and Mahindra keep growing with great products and the auto enthusiasts fraternity get benefited from it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st February 2019 at 10:09. Reason: Spacing, coz > because.
amit_mechengg is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 08:03   #3128
BANNED

Regarding the fit and finish, even the champion Hyundai has still not find a way to make the left side bonnet sit flush with the bumper in Verna. Noticed this in most of the Verna’s I saw, even the latest ones. Less said about the Honda City the better. So let’s wait for sometime and check if the actual customer delivered models also has these kind of minor fit and finish issues. If it is there, let’s hope TATA corrects that in the coming months. Mahindra used to get such an excuse in team-bhp, let’s extend the same to the other Indian TATA too.

Last edited by pavi : 1st February 2019 at 08:16.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 08:17   #3129
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Moderator Note: A lot of posts on this thread have been edited or deleted. Unfortunately, some members have been infracted and / or temporarily banned too. A REMINDER of our forum rules. Team-BHP does NOT permit:

- Sarcasm
- Personal attacks
- Fanboy posts
- Biased messages

We have ZERO tolerance to any of the above. Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 08:53   #3130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Now if someone chooses to be a critic only for tata products then no one can help.

And whats up with continuously mentioning its a 17 lac car ? Can't Tata manufacture a costly car? Are they supposed to produce only cheap cars or sell at lower prices?
I don't feel its bias against Tata motors as a whole but more product specific. I see people complaining about Harrier but praising Hexa and Nexon at the same time.

Also a huge contributor to this scenario is the marketing of Harrier as "premium" product with "pedigree" which has hyped this car to insane levels. So all the spotlight is now on Harrier and many people are going to step into Tata motors showroom for the first time to check it out. People who had unpleasant experience in the past with Tata during the Indica days might also be tempted to give Tata a second chance and check this car out. And if anything in Harrier doesn't match those hyped up expectations, then people will definitely complain. That's just human nature.

I firmly believe that Tata motors should have taken few more months to iron out the niggles and then launched the Harrier. People have pointed out bigger issues like poor NVH levels, blind spot caused by the ORVMs, flimsy hand brake and inability to set a sweet driving position which points towards inadequate testing of the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Regarding the fit and finish, even the champion Hyundai has still not find a way to make the left side bonnet sit flush with the bumper in Verna. Noticed this in most of the Verna’s I saw, even the latest ones. Less said about the Honda City the better.
I hope Tata motors sorts out any uneven panel gaps, alignment issues or rubber beadings/foam sticking out before handing it out to Team BHP, else these will definitely get pointed out in the official review which will be read by more people than our individual comments here.

Secondly, these quality misses might be present in other cars as well from other manufacturers. But those manufacturers might be having better brand recognition, better sales & service experience and better reliability which lets people turn a blind eye to these small issues. Most people here in Team BHP say that the Creta is overpriced, but it still sells ~10k units per month, because of Hyundai's excellent sales service reputation. People buy Compass because of Jeep's brand recognition and desirability.

Does Tata motors have that kind of brand recognition, trust and desirability among the general public? Will the regular car buyer still buy ~ ₹20lakh Tata car after seeing these niggles? These are the questions that prospective customers would be asking themselves.

Last edited by FrodoOfTheShire : 1st February 2019 at 09:21. Reason: Additional points
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 09:46   #3131
Senior - BHPian

Those who are posting pictures of the 'uneven panel gaps' either to criticize or justify them, please note that the gaps will look uneven (or exaggerated) if the picture is not taken from the correct angle. This is tricky as the surfaces/panels are curvy/fluid and the 'parting lines' run on those complex planes (tail lamps taken from three quarter angle is a good example). May be it is a good idea to pause the particular topic until the official review is out.
Guna is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 10:43   #3132
BHPian

50% of the people who go to purchase a car are not even aware of what are panel gaps. I am sure the number is more. Add other 10-15% who see the panel gaps but are not bothered.
For me who is looking for a reliable well sort out car which fits my needs, i don't care about the panel gaps.
As for the quality checks, yes they should be good and strict. But I am sure many people can live with panel gaps. And yes, the way photo is taken also might create a dilution.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 10:44   #3133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Those who are posting pictures of the 'uneven panel gaps' either to criticize or justify them, please note that the gaps will look uneven (or exaggerated) if the picture is not taken from the correct angle. This is tricky as the surfaces/panels are curvy/fluid and the 'parting lines' run on those complex planes (tail lamps taken from three quarter angle is a good example). May be it is a good idea to pause the particular topic until the official review is out.
To add to this, never is there a single pic which shows significant 'uneven' panel gaps. Yes the gaps maybe more than what the posters expect. But i definitely don't think they would be inconsistent. Those gaps are as wide as the ones in the Hexa and the Nexon as well to some extent. Specifically the tail lamp clusters.

Coming to mentality of folks spending 20L and them having high expectations, how's the XUV selling then? With cabin rattles and panel gaps and other minor niggles, do these 'buyers of 20L rupee cars having a keen eye on quality and consistency' turn a blind eye then?

If XUV did manage those numbers with initial niggles, am confident the Harrier too would match those sales numbers if not exceed. Speaking of TATA harping on luxury and pedigree, that is marketing. And i don't think they have done any injustices on that aspect. Take everything with a pinch of salt guys and lets not be so overly critical!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 1st February 2019 at 10:45.
abhi7013 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 10:54   #3134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
With cabin rattles and panel gaps and other minor niggles, do these 'buyers of 20L rupee cars having a keen eye on quality and consistency' turn a blind eye then?
Blind eye? There are almost 4500 posts only on this - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...tions-295.html (Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions)

I doubt anyone in the thread asked others not to buy the car due to panel gaps or other issues - they only reported what they saw or felt for themselves. As always - it is upto individual buyers to look at all facts and decide the value proposition for themselves.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 11:20   #3135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmenon View Post
If you can do 80 in 4th at 2000 RPM and be asked to shift up wouldn't that drop the RPM too low for 5th?
Reasonable for a 2 Lit engine. Hexa AT up shifts to 6th at 80 getting taco to 1350 RPM. Fiat engines like Tata, Toyota and Mahindra are all long stroke engines designed for driveablity from 1200 RPM.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed