Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2019, 11:24   #3136
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Yesterday, I test drove the Tata Harrier and I must say that I came away impressed. It is the perfect size between the Full Size SUVs and the mid size Creta/Duster type SUVs. Overall the ride and handling was great. Good space for passengers and luggage. Comfortable suspension etc.

The sales guy told me that they had over 120 cancellations from people who wanted automatic. My partner also cancelled his booking and decided go get a Hexa Automatic instead.
4x4addict is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 11:28   #3137
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
My partner also cancelled his booking and decided go get a Hexa Automatic instead.
Our prediction - "Harrier will sell more Hexas" is slowly coming true. I think this is the second reported case where a buyer went to buy Harrier, ended up buying Hexa.
rovingeye is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 11:52   #3138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Blind eye? There are almost 4500 posts only on this - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...tions-295.html (Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions)

I doubt anyone in the thread asked others not to buy the car due to panel gaps or other issues - they only reported what they saw or felt for themselves. As always - it is upto individual buyers to look at all facts and decide the value proposition for themselves.
I was speaking of the general public. Members on the forum can deliberate and find solutions. But what about the majority of those who buy and choose to live with those little irritants in their cars? I was just referring to the portrayed mentality of the buyers in this segment.

To summarize, every buyer would want his car to be top on quality for what he's paying and is not limited to segments (say 6L to 30L). So it would be wrong to make statements like 'buyers in this segment want their cars to be perfect without niggles'. Everyone would want that!
As for the Harrier, the supposed QC issues are unnecessarily being blown out out of proportions in these last few pages. I dont think there are issues with this car that would force a customer to look elsewhere. Hence my point: if xuv sells so much, then the harrier too can. As someone said, a normal buyer wouldn't even know or care of these panel gaps, unless they are inconsistent or cause hindrance to functionalities.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 1st February 2019 at 11:55.
abhi7013 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 12:12   #3139
Senior - BHPian

Both Tata Harrier and MG's upcoming SUV (albiet in LHD mold) are on display in Delhi's T3 domestic terminal. I came away thoroughly impressed with the Harrier's design and interiors. MG's SUV looks good too, but is definitely a size below Harrier and doesn't have the space or presence of the Harrier. Also, it was shod with really puny tires - maybe of the same size as the Innova.

I will be surprised if the Harrier doesn't do well for Tata Motors.
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 12:45   #3140
BHPian

Worked a little on the TataHARRIER - Orcus White MODS.

like to Share it with you Guys!

MODS done:
1. Front Bumper-PROTECTOR GUARD Skip Plate (for tht additional BUtch look)
2. Blacken Wheel Rims (this should have come right-away from Tata - adds much needed Sportiness to its side)
3. Side Step (to Complete the Look)

Tata Harrier XZ White Color | Ready for Delivery

Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-white1abcd.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-white1abcd1.jpg  

Last edited by SDP : 1st February 2019 at 14:50. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
kalleo4 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 14:39   #3141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
My partner also cancelled his booking and decided go get a Hexa Automatic instead.
Basically it gives TML a 15-20 Lakh sale regardless of whether Harrier or Hexa.

The Hexa is too good a proposition for people who want an people mover. The Harrier might just create the footfalls the Hexa really needs.
Steeroid is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 14:50   #3142
BHPian

I did a test drive of Harrier yesterday for one of my Uncles, who is more than 60 years of Age. He was deciding between Compass, Harrier and Creta. Low NVH, Driving Comfort and 6 Airbags is a must for our Criteria. We felt Harrier to be equivalent in features, build quality, fit and finish. Compass is better but, Harrier is similar to Creta and Innova Crysta. I have a 5 year old Safari Storme and I could easily see that Tata did a commendable job in achieving this level of fit and finish.

My uncle was not inclined to buy a Tata car as he is coming from a Hyundai Verna (using 3 versions of it from last 10 years). Before doing the test drive, I was batting for Tata and convinced him to do a test drive. After the test drive, he was impressed with the features, price, safety, NVH, Size vis a vis Creta and Compass. Everything is good or better, but as many have pointed out in this forum, the driving position and ergonomics led us to reject it from our options. As always, Tata couldn't get the clutch right. It is light, but the play length is too much. The distance between the floor and the highest position is like a one foot. I am 5'11" and If I adjust seat to my comfortable position, I am unable to completely press the clutch. I stalled it twice or thrice due to this. If I move the seat forward for proper clutch pressing, I am too close to the Steering and my Knees are touching the dashboard. Also in this position, my left leg is uncomfortable and pressing half clutch, which actually burned the clutch on the Test Vehicle (Showroom people didn't notice it, but I could smell the clutch burning and the clutch remained half pressed even after removing the foot. I have to literally pull it up with my foot.)

Last edited by GTO : 3rd February 2019 at 08:08. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts correctly
Rach is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 1st February 2019, 16:34   #3143
BHPian

Tata Harrier
Most Awaited Car Of The Year 2019

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190201170037_twitter.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190201170025_twitter.jpg

Just a week since its launch, the Tata Harrier has already bagged the award for Most Awaited Car Of The Year 2019, at the Exhibit Auto Tech Awards.

Source
JS Kwt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 16:44   #3144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post
As always, Tata couldn't get clutch right. It is light, but the play length is too much. The distance between floor and highest position is like a one feet. I am 5'11" and If I adjust seat to my comfortable position, I am unable to completely press clutch. I stalled it twice or thrice due to this. If I move seat forward for proper clutch press, I am too near Steering and my Knees are touching dashboard. Also in this position, my left leg is uncomfortable and pressing half clutch, which actually burned the clutch on Test Vehicle (Showroom people didn't notice it, but I could smell the clutch burning and clutch remained half press even after removing the foot. I have to literally pull it up with my foot.)
This is true, especially for tall drivers (if you lower the seat height, problem becomes more pronounced)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post

Clutch has long play. Made my ankle to strain in the high position
Attachment 1830750
Old 1st February 2019, 16:45   #3145
Senior - BHPian

That is true. This thread alone has around 2.9 Million views, and number of posts are just 10 below Ecosport thread (and it is going to overtake that today itself)
Latheesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 18:05   #3146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post

Tata Harrier
*Facepalm* We really have something like this?!

Looks like the automotive industry is moving towards direction taken by Bollywood where ridiculous award categories are getting invented every year to award something to everyone!
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 18:05   #3147
BHPian

Can't wait for the Harrier review to settle the fit and finish concerns. I was hoping for a vehicle from TATA that matches or betters the Hexa in quality. That was their benchmark and it makes sense they won't fall short on that front. Reminds me a bit of how the initial batches of XUV's had a lot of quality concerns. It still went on to set the sales charts on fire. Sometimes when the buying public loves the design it just grabs the initial sakes and soon everyone wants one. I suspect the Harrier does have that factor to pull in the initial buyers and this will lead to good sales for the first few months. There are always more buyers for successful cars. The Harrier will do for TATA what the Ecosport did for ford.
Old 1st February 2019, 18:54   #3148
Senior - BHPian

So I got a slightly extended TD of the Harrier today, over an hour on highways, tiny bylanes, heavy (very heavy, thanks to Venkiah Naidu) traffic, some non-existent ‘roads’ and a few stretches where you could floor it.

For a vehicle that is on the larger side (for India) it is surprisingly compact and nimble on the road. The ease of driving this vehicle around is extremely surprising, and given the Torque On Tap nature of the engine, getting past traffic is a breeze especially because of how it shrinks around you.

The clutch is a revelation - even the Yeti’s light clutch felt heavier after the Harrier TD.

It took a while of fidgeting to find the right driving position but this process is something am used to in the Yeti - others might find it takes more time. It IS possible to arrive at a good driving position, just that it takes some effort initially.

The engine is a delight in terms of drivability, though 1st gear felt a bit too low. You can take off from 2nd quite comfortably. Progress through the gears is pretty brisk with 120 coming up before you know it, around 2000 rpm or so. The trick seems to be to shift up at around 3200~3500 max - the engine seems tuned to do all of its work in the lower rpms. Don’t bother revving beyond - power is not forthcoming, but noise is. In traffic you can stay in 3rd gear almost permanently.

On the subject of NVH, the engine is vocal if pushed hard, and has a gravelly sound at lower revs. For reference - it is nowhere as smooth as the Hyundai 1.6, but is not as bad as the old Innova and significantly better than Honda diesels. It’s does not vibrate or clatter, just that the engine didn’t sound as smooth as some of the better motors. This comes to the fore when you push it, which you don’t have to as its behaves decently enough within its band. You don’t have to shift down for torque.

The vehicle is very spacious - it’s a generous 5 seater where the 5th guy won’t feel shortchanged unless all 3 at the back are bodybuilders or something. The backrest of the rear bench is perfectly angled. Boot space is generous too - especially because it is so uncluttered. In terms of space and comfort it beats its target market competitors (Creta, Compass and XUV) hands down.

Suspension is comfortable but firm and so the vehicle stayed composed when jumped (unintentionally) over a particularly nasty dip after one of the bridges on the Cochin bypass. It’s not wallowy-comfy like an XUV but firm and comfortable like the Yeti but without the slow speed harshness of the Yeti.

Overall a really good vehicle and better than what you can buy with that kind of money. I’d like to buy it, but am not sure if I want to spend 19.98 OTR for a vehicle I will use only when am in India - if I lived here I guess I would’ve bought it. May still consider it if the Yeti starts needing more frequent attention - it’s a great vehicle when it’s trouble free but replacement spares are very expensive.

Last edited by Steeroid : 1st February 2019 at 18:57.
Steeroid is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 19:13   #3149
Senior - BHPian

Spotted two mules under testing in full camouflage this evening. They were ahead of me in traffic and though I inched forward, I couldn't guess if they were AT because of the difference in height between the Vista and the Harrier. Couldn't follow it as I had to take a deviation.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 19:24   #3150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post

Tata Harrier

Attachment 1844028

Attachment 1844029

Just a week since its launch, the Tata Harrier has already bagged the award for Most Awaited Car Of The Year 2019, at the Exhibit Auto Tech Awards.

Source
Good to see automotive manufacturers striving for more diversity at award functions...
sprocket is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed