Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2019, 20:08   #3151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
Can't wait for the Harrier review to settle the fit and finish concerns. I was hoping for a vehicle from TATA that matches or betters the Hexa in quality. That was their benchmark and it makes sense they won't fall short on that front.
They won’t. Fit and finish is good. If you insist, perhaps those JBL speaker grills seems bit low rent, but speakers are meant to be heard and not seen. Is it fault-free? Probably not, like most other vehicles you can find faults if you wish to. My focus was on the automobile and not the accessories.

Last edited by Steeroid : 1st February 2019 at 20:09.
Steeroid is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 20:15   #3152
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Spotted two mules under testing in full camouflage this evening. They were ahead of me in traffic and though I inched forward, I couldn't guess if they were AT because of the difference in height between the Vista and the Harrier. Couldn't follow it as I had to take a deviation.
I would not imagine that they would camouflage the vehicle just to test the AT. That would probably make it more conspicuous than if tested uncamouflaged. As someone pointed out earlier on this thread, it is probably an old test vehicle still running around and they have probably just not removed the camouflage.
Old 1st February 2019, 21:20   #3153
BHPian

Thermisto Gold & Telesto Grey colours.

Don't know the authenticity though!

Source - https://www.facebook.com/groups/clubharrier/?ref=share
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190201_074143.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190201_074120.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-fb_img_1549036178627.jpg  

arif_t01 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 21:25   #3154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
...Just a week since its launch, the Tata Harrier has already bagged the award for Most Awaited Car Of The Year 2019, at the Exhibit Auto Tech Awards...
As in the car which made people wait the most to get the details ??!! Sure, it has to be the Harrier!!
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 21:32   #3155
BHPian

Got to see the Harrier up close a couple of days ago. It was an orange XZ variant. I felt that it is a very imposing vehicle which will give it the 'hustle' value which IMO the main competition lacks. It looked quite nice overall and the orange shade looks much better in real life than in pictures. However, I still find the front a little obnoxious with the headlights in the bumper et al.

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 00:49   #3156
BHPian

I have been a silent spectator on this thread, and have read nearly every post made after the Harrier was put on display for public viewing in several states, I attended the display event at Cyber Hub, on the last day so there wasn't much of a crowd around the car, hence I got a chance to check the car out properly. The car looks great, has good presence and the sheet metal feels solid too. Step inside and the smart yet modern interior catches your attention almost immediately. The instrument cluster looks fab. But that's where the good things kind of stop. The car definitely had quality issues like the misaligned bootlid, on one of the cars, the glovebox just wouldn't close, the matte silver finish on the centre console looked worn out and dull as if it was in a 10 year old car.

Now, several people complained about all these quality control issues, and I've seen replies stating that people wouldn't have a problem with all these small issues if the car was from another manufacturer. I feel, the problem lies in the fact that we were promised a global car. And that means a car with fantastic quality levels and finesse, which the Harrier definitely lacks. The car just feels rushed and feels as if too many corners were cut. We were told that the car would have Land Rover pedigree, and hence we expected similar or atleast close enough quality levels. For me, the Compass and Creta's cabin just feels far more superior in quality and finesse. The Compass, even though it has a simple interior design, WOWs you with the quality of materials used and the fit and finish is great too. The car feels far more premium and well finished than the Harrier. The Harrier, even though it has a very modern interior design, just lacks those quality of materials used in the Compass and feels like a product from a lower segment and that's what gets my goat.

If you cannot give us a product that you promised, created so much hype about and assured brilliance at every step, then you should not have made the promise in the first place! People definitely had high expectations from the Harrier, whether it be the AWD+AUTOMATIC combo being available from the beginning, whether it be the great quality interiors, whether it be a superbly insulated vehicle like it's own cousin the Hexa, or some people, just wanted the car they were promised and Tata has definitely let us down on all fronts. Hence, people are bound to be angry. These are my views entirely, and I mean no offence to anyone who likes the car or has booked one.

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd February 2019 at 17:25. Reason: made paragraphs for an easier read
CarLoverJosh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:18   #3157
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata's Harrier starts off in the Jan -19 sales charts. Dispatches/sells 420 copies.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:58   #3158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata's Harrier starts off in the Jan -19 sales charts. Dispatches/sells 420 copies.
Good to see this! Looks like Tata has made good strides with their supply chain management. The product dispatch in the initial months will be crucial for a product in our market with a ton of social pressure.

No marketing campaign can match the effect of Harriers on the road and standing at homes everywhere.
deetjohn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:46   #3159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
I would not imagine that they would camouflage the vehicle just to test the AT. That would probably make it more conspicuous than if tested uncamouflaged. As someone pointed out earlier on this thread, it is probably an old test vehicle still running around and they have probably just not removed the camouflage.
Like I said, I couldn't confirm because I barely drove 100 mts alongside. The vehicles looked clean, no torn camouflage anywhere. It still could be the manual continuing with the tests. The vehicles probably left Tafe Access service center on Trichy Road.

I spent half an hour in front of the showroom that evening, waiting for a friend and the test drive vehicle was busy all the time. Plenty of people who were interested. The display vehicle had moved inside the showroom (it was on the display porch earlier).
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 14:36   #3160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
On one hand waiting period is 15-22 weeks and just 420 shipments on the other hand does not add up IMO.

Any idea what is their production capacity or monthly sale targets.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th February 2019 at 13:20. Reason: Spacing
Old 2nd February 2019, 15:31   #3161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
On one hand waiting period is 15-22 weeks and just 420 shipments on the other hand does not add up IMO.
Any idea what is their production capacity or monthly sale targets.
Well even demo vehicles haven't made it to Trivandrum. On enquiry the showroom personnel mentioned that it would take a week at least.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 2nd February 2019, 16:49   #3162
Senior - BHPian

Took TD (2-3 KM) of the Harrier today in Pune. Below is my personal observation which might differ with your experience:

1. All TD vehicles available at Concord Pune are Media vehicles since Concord is owned by TATA Motors. The one which I drove had 6K KM on the odo.

2. The fit and finish looked ok to me. The quality of materials is acceptable in this price range. The faux wood looked good in the showroom car (White) than this media car. May be as we speculated, media cars are pre-production.

3. This thing has acres of space for a 5 seater. For a family of short people like mine, this is like a 2 BHK flat on wheels . AC is quite good at front and can be controlled using voice commands (Also other features).

4. The sound system as I had mentioned earlier is top notch. It felt much crisper and more premium to the one I had in my Jetta. The infotainment screen is big enough and has good touch response. The feedback and response is missing on the Nexon system which I tried earlier.

5. The car felt pretty peppy in 1-2-3 gears and these are pretty much all you need in City. The 3rd has good range from 30-90/100 and most of the times I did cruise in this gear. The engine is audible once you cross 2800-3000 rpm but I feel you really don't have to go till 3K since the torque is available lower down which makes the drive effortless. The steering feedback is good and you feel connected to the car even on rough roads. Even at parking speeds, you dont feel like going to a gym while maneuvering the car. People make way while on roads, thanks to its road presence, you seldom have to use horn on this thing.

The only reason I sold off my Jetta was its clutch. It was heavy and had a long travel. Clutch on Harrier feels heavenly in comparison as its feather light even though it has long travel. The clutch however had vibrations when fully depressed . I hope its only on this media car and will be sorted out on customer cars.

This is a big deciding factor for me for my next car. Either it will be an AT or should have a light clutch.

6. The big ORVMs have an equally big blind spot and it can easily hide an elephant. You really have to get used to it or otherwise you will end up putting people on your bonnet.

7. The rear window visibility is very limited and since I have never owned an SUV, this was a surprise for me. People or cars behind you are not visible unless they are in the field of view of ORVMs or you are looking at rear camera display. BTW, the display quality sucks big time.

8. Now a big surprise - The driving modes on this vehicle were not functional. Tried shifting to different modes and then the SA mentioned that they are malfunctioning. A car with 6K on odo with a malfunctioning feature is not confidence inspiring, especially when people are going to buy your car based on this TD experience. The SA said, new cars wont have this issue but then since those will be available only next week or two, you dont have a choice but to feel pity about the QA process.

9. On road price including extended warranty in Pune for XZ is 20L. Waiting period as per him will be 3 months. TATA is still figuring out how many people have cancelled the booking and when prospective owners will get delivery. BTW, not even a single car is delivered in Pune yet.

10. Now when I compare my TD experience of Harrier and Compass, the latter surely feels like a better put together product. The ride quality and handling of the Compass is in a league of its own. Its small footprint is very handy when you drive in city most of the times. Now, when I see pricing of equally comparable Compass, its almost 4L dearer and thats when Harrier starts to appeal you.

11. Will I buy this car? - Looking at the media car, certainly, NOT. I really hope the actual TD cars will be better put together and wont have any malfunctioning features. SA mentioned that new TD cars will be here in 2 weeks and then I can take a long TD. He said these days even college going students visit showroom with Go-Pro cameras and ask for TD. As they cannot deny, they have limited the TD to 2KMs because such crowd takes the car on a joyride with no intention of buying but in the process, abuse the cars.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd February 2019 at 08:02. Reason: typos
neoonwheels is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 18:26   #3163
Senior - BHPian

Will be interesting to see how many customers who have pre-booked the car have actually got delivery? A friend recently spoke to Concorde in Mumbai and was told not to expect delivery before end of March for any variant.
Old 2nd February 2019, 20:42   #3164
BHPian

Autocar interviews Mayank Pareek - President, Passenger vehicles, TML.
Mukund is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 20:54   #3165
Senior - BHPian

Test Drove Harrier today. Few points from the test drive.

1. Physical presence is good ! Impressive and more so when we factor in the asking price. Display car was in orange color, a color that enhances appeal of this car. Kudos to Tata for designing such a head turner. Large wheels were instrumental for aesthetic pull of this car. However, headlights were slightly odd in design.

2. Interior design is good, more than contemporary. We have mentioned this many times and read it at multiple places, but it never ceases to surprise me how far Tata Motors has come. Overall quality is good too. Steering wheel felt good to hold, and dial/s weren't as tiny as they are in Hexa. That said, the digital tachometer is damn impressive ! Tata motors got it right here. Lights and wiper stalks are of good quality and felt the same while operating them.

3. Space is never in short supply. Rear seat is noteworthy with an impressively comfortable back rest incline coupled with practical under thigh support plus impressive legroom. For chauffeur driven, this car is too good to ignore. Boot is more than reasonable and shape of the boot is very practical enhancing utility. For the record, IIRC as I read somewhere earlier at that time, Manza had its rear seat incline equal to S-class at 27 degrees.

4. Ride Quality. In one word : Amazing! Note that I took my 2012 Innova with 68K on odo and on the same route Harrier felt better. It joins Duster and Hexa for ride quality, that good it is. And it doesnt have initial firmness of Compass, Tata got a practical approach to its priorities and then got it right. Test drive vehicle was top trim.

5. Drive quality : Steering is too light and stays that way even at regular highway speeds. Why Tata ? Why so light Tata ? Sure would be a breeze and blessing in urban driving but once road opens up, it should weigh up sufficiently. This was second disappointment.

6. Ergonomics. The Biggest Disappointment. Why on earth can Tata mess up here ? With handbrake engaged, it overlaps with cup holders, finding USB beneath the AC controls is a task in itself, front arm rest isn't useful. Bewilderingly the greatest shock was driver's foot-well space and left knee hitting dashboard. Irrespective of how I tried to get comfortable, my left knee hit dashboard and only solution was to get the height of driving seat down and move the seat backwards. Why they left it like this is beyond me. This is a single factor which lead to overall disappointing experience, not an issue one can ignore and live with. Only solution is to have an automatic transmission which, I dont know why, but Tata couldn't come up with till now. Add to that long travel of clutch which means finding a comfortable driving position was a task in itself.

Front visibility is good, hood is visible from drivers seat. But it ends there. Blind spots are massive. Those mirrors are sufficiently tall but need more width. Plus the way they are placed hampers visibility specially in our operating condition where traffic sense is little.

7. Front seats are very comfortable. Note than I have broad shoulders and weigh in at around 100 kg. Its a pity that driver's ergonomics are messed up so bad. With an AT, this car would be a good complete package.

8. Doors didnt feel as heavy as I expected, but not bad at all. Hood is reasonably heavy, batter placement is slightly deep into the engine bay but Tata has proived a panel above battery than can be opened to access battery. Some finishing touches weren't good looking as previous posts on this thread have indicated.

9. Engine: Was noisy to the extent that it made its presence felt. Not as loud as my 2012 Innova or Honda's 1.5. Not a deal breaker at all. Test drive car had functional modes and found that sports mode was unique. Managed to stall the car in sports mode while passing over speedbreaker in 2nd gear. My friend accompanying me and having Honda City diesel as his primary drive somehow ended up doing the same.

But post 1200-1300 rpm, engine response is really good. It pulled well from 1500 rpm in 6th gear. At 100 kmph in 6th gear, there was no stress at all for occupants or engine. The way it masked speed at 100 kmph, we ended up questioning if speedo is accurate or not. Straight line stability is solid, but light steering spoils the game. Felt that braking was adequate.

Overall, this is a great product from Tata but marred by poor ergonomics. AT would solve that problem though.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th February 2019 at 13:20. Reason: Spacing
aaggoswami is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks