Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2019, 10:54   #3256
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I usually wouldn't comment, but drove a brand new Tata Harrier with around 200km on the Odometer (it was neither a media car nor a so-call "pre-production" car that's all over this forum), and all I can say is, this car has been made in a hurry and lacks finesse. The reason I'm saying this is that in the car that I drove, the electronics malfunctioned; the engine clatter was too loud and sounded really unrefined for a Rs 19 lakh car; fit-finish was just as bad as any Tata from the early 2000s, with stuff breaking off
Thanks S2! I think that kind of explains why Tata is yet not sending us the Harrier media car. They probably want to sort out all the issues first because they know our detailed photoshoot will capture EVERYTHING. It'll pretty much be documented for life.

Sucks that Tata had to give such treatment to such an important product and what appears to be a nice car (I haven't driven it yet).

Sorry Tata, you haven't done your homework before this launch. In a fiercely competitive segment, you haven't come prepared.

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2019 at 11:28.
GTO is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 11:12   #3257
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks S2! I think that kind of explains why Tata is yet not sending us the Harrier media car. They probably want to sort out all the issues first because they know our detailed photoshoot will capture EVERYTHING.

Sucks that Tata had to give such treatment to such an important product and what appears to be a nice car (I haven't driven it yet).
I think you should not delay the Harrier Official review any further, request you as per your convenient time just walk into a TATA showroom & borrow their car TD for a few hours complete the remaining observations (as the major bit would have been complete during the official media drives in Rajasthan last year where TEAM-BHP already went) & also TEST DRIVE yourself (as you mentioned above you haven't driven it yet), This should allow the completion of the official review sooner than TATA Motors respond and send their media/fleet car.
karan561 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 11:28   #3258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Need to also question the handling and logistics charges of 9.5k. For comparison - Hyundai qoute has 3k as handling charges for the Creta, TATA motors needs 3 times the amount?

Anyways - Will get a proper breakup from them during the next visit. One thing is for sure - dealers are trying to make hay while the sun shines!
That's probably an overly greedy dealer - I forgot to mention, but I did have a glance at the price sheet; "logistics" were 5k for all variants. Insurance was as bloated as you saw.
Also, this is the sole Tata dealership in Jabalpur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sorry Tata, you haven't done your homework before this launch. In a fiercely competitive segment, you haven't come prepared.
Agreed! They messed up BIG TIME. Even other than this seeming discrepancy in different units, it was stupid to build up all the buzz in December and not have an absolute FLOOD of cars ready to go.

Mahindra were SO GOOD with the Marazzo's launch! Cars were here not only in (relatively) small Jabalpur right on launch day, but I even saw a test drive unit in (relatively) remote HP beyond Shimla a couple of days later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
request you as per your convenient time just walk into a TATA showroom & borrow their car
@GTO - I must say I agree with karan561. Not necessarily hurry up with the review (the conscientious buyer should not only be patient anyway, but should really benefit from Tata's choice of vehicle sent to you - for better or for worse), but it's at least time we hear of fit, finish and build from the enthusiast extraordinaire himself.

Though of course I understand why you always wait to put your impressions only after the review (usually the very next post after the review set) - I imagine you'll stick to that. But FWIW, I personally think an exception with a set of "normal" TD impressions might not go amiss (even if not strictly in order).

Cheers!
Here's hoping the review isn't hurried in any case. Quality and reality over quickness and quantity, always.

Last edited by Mu009 : 11th February 2019 at 11:46. Reason: Added some stuff
Mu009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 11:30   #3259
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I think you should not delay the Harrier Official review any further, request you as per your convenient time just walk into a TATA showroom & borrow their car TD for a few hours complete the remaining observations
Will need it for 5 days minimum because of the photoshoot + city drive (Aditya) + highway drive (Aditya) + Sunday highway drive (me). No way we can do a review in a matter of hours. And especially for such an important car, we really need to spend a lot of time with it to understand it.
GTO is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 11:43   #3260
BHPian

went to TAFE Access , Chennai and saw the Harrier in the flesh. It looks really good, but not mind blowing. I could not get a test drive though as the car was "out", whatever that means. The important issues that I noted was the lack of commitment in trying to sell the car by the dealer. There was no rush and I was the only customer and the sales guy had all the time in the world to explain the features, but he seemed very disinterested and/or not very knowledgeable.

Two incidents to get my point across.

1. There was a plastic shield above the battery and I tried to access it. The sales guy stopped me and said even for removing the battery terminal, I have to take it to the authorized service center.

2. There is a trapezoid shaped cover over the front bumper near the skid plate. I asked him what it is for and he did not have a clue.
I cant say whether the Harrier production was rushed without driving, but the launch was definitely rushed going by the dealer apathy. I sincerely hope TATA motors gets its act together as ASS is a vital part of sustained sales numbers.

Now the eye opener. TATA Hexa feels more premium, sturdy, complete and a better put together vehicle compared back to back with the Harrier. From the looks it, Harrier has got only the Fiat engine and the Rover pedigree going for it on paper. I will definitely revert with more info once I drive the Harrier.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th February 2019 at 07:09. Reason: Splitting paragraphs for improved readability
Neil Roy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 12:25   #3261
Senior - BHPian

Both Tata and Mahindra seem to have committed the same mistake ? Tata with Harrier and Mahindra with Jawa !
I could really see the frame of tail gate having lot of inconsistencies. The metal is not pressed uniformly and welding and part alignments (with rear lamp) not being good. If you see the car with doors/tail gate closed, it looks good (except the front for me)
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 21:01   #3262
BHPian

Well harrier is one vehicle which really has me glued to this thread. No wonder it is a landmark vehicle by Tata, with the very potential of becoming a game changer(phrase credit GTO). But I am really appalled to see the issues of fit, finish and lack of build quality crop up. And consistently as noted in the initial impressions of various members here. I hope that Tata is working on to settle out these niggles before the official launch to public and our esteemed forum. I really hope. And not me, I am sure there will be plenty of people looking for a comfortable, reliable, well built, involving to drive and spacious 5 seater.

For all of those who desire a bigger butch SUV but are taken aback due to the 30 plus price tag club, Harrier was one of the few welcome options. You see, I am holding back buying a new vehicle because I am looking for a mile munching, good looking and reliable 5 seater. And by 5 I mean 5, not 2+2+-1. XUV though brilliant is plagued by niggles. After spending 20 hard earned ones I cannot even think of visiting the ASS frequently. Would really pain my heart. And mind you the vehicle will stay for at least 10 years.

Hexa is a little uninvolving to drive. Creta/compass are small and expensive for the price. So does that mean we are at the mercy of the mighty crysta. It seems they are holding everyone to ransom because of their reliability.

I really really want the Harrier to break all the myths and be an outstanding product. Coz then it wouldn't break my heart when I buy it. Plus it will be good to have at least some competition and options in the near 20 lac segment.

If the Harrier fails on the team bhp review- that would seal or rather end the deal for me

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th February 2019 at 07:08. Reason: Splitting paragraph for improved readability
knrn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 01:52   #3263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
I hope that Tata is working on to settle out these niggles before the official launch to public and our esteemed forum.
The official launch happened on 23rd Jan itself, and some of the dealers have even commenced deliveries.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 06:29   #3264
BHPian

Quote:
The official launch happened on 23rd Jan itself, and some of the dealers have even commenced deliveries.
Oh. You see I have visited the Tata showroom here multiple times. The SA who has now become a good friend of mine said that TATA is taking bookings but it will take another two and a half months before Harrier really starts flying off the shelf and refrained me to wait out this time. By the time Tata is done taking customer and dealer feedback about various issues and sorting them out. So I thought.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th February 2019 at 07:06. Reason: Removing additional spacing
Old 12th February 2019, 07:40   #3265
Distinguished - BHPian

With no intention of contributing to Tata bashing, this approach does look a bit half baked. After all this is your flagship vehicle. Till now that used to mean something. After creating months of hype and managing to create all that excitement and anticipation for a 20L Tata vehicle, the company is now unnecessarily wasting all that good by delaying launch. Tales of preproduction vehicles having gaps etc. is not going to inspire confidence in customers.

Do we see such trends with other successful carmakers? MSIL, Hyundai, Toyota and the likes. No wonder then that people vote for these cars with their pocket regardless of the premium being charged.

I really wish Tata handled the launch better because on paper the Harrier appeared as a clear winner and thanks to this mismanagement, it might not be able to achieve those numbers. Tata was already lucky once when the Email fiasco where they inadvertently attached the list of customer names and Email Ids who have booked the car rather than the Harrier brochures. Goes to show the kind of attitude that is being tolerated in the company.

The same even happened with the Tiago and Tigor JTP versions. After doing all the hard work and risk-taking in launching a sports version of the twins and managing to create all that positive atmosphere with multiple reviewers giving it a thumbs up, they lost it all away by not making the cars available at the showrooms. Now the world has moved on and I do not see people talking about them anymore.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 08:41   #3266
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
....the company is now unnecessarily wasting all that good by delaying launch...
I am not sure what you mean by this.
As CD has mentioned a few posts above, the Harrier has already been launched officially on 23rd Jan and even the deliveries have started.
SDP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 09:45   #3267
BHPian

Wow! What a car!

A perfect XUV500 and Compass rival. The Creta should be nowhere in this catagory.

Small gaps here and there? Minor ergonomic issues that might exist for some and not for others? Very very small things about hand touching this or leg touching that for person A? Person B will have none. Person C might have but won't care.

We can replace the Harrier with the Jaguar or any car, but still all the above will be applicable .

I am eagerly looking forward to the official review in which the only thing not done is dismantle the car.

I really hope the Harrier is a smashing success!
Nalin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 10:00   #3268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
I hope that Tata is working on to settle out these niggles before the official launch to public and our esteemed forum.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
After creating months of hype and managing to create all that excitement and anticipation for a 20L Tata vehicle, the company is now unnecessarily wasting all that good by delaying launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I am not sure what you mean by this.
As CD has mentioned a few posts above, the Harrier has already been launched officially on 23rd Jan and even the deliveries have started.
Well I guess it is a problem of having released too many teasers and promo videos, followed by lot of customer engagement activities and display shows. Many people seem to be unaware that the Harrier has actually been launched and is already on our roads. I was not very surprised when many of my relatives and colleagues were not aware of the launch, but even team-bhpians seem to have missed the official launch news!

I happened to suggest checking the Harrier out for a relative who wanted the Compass, but was finding it very expensive. He was quick to reply that he wants the car by March, and cannot wait till Tata launches it during the festive season later this year.

Tata should come up with ads that explicitly mention "At Tata showrooms near you" or "Take your test drive now" or something like that which clears the air.
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 10:22   #3269

Quote:
Have the deliveries started? The dealer is Bangalore is clueless(Adishakti motors)They have not received a single lot till date and have no update either on this issue. Awaiting eagerly to see if the delivery lot is any different from the test drive ones.
Old 12th February 2019, 10:43   #3270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
Have the deliveries started? The dealer is Bangalore is clueless(Adishakti motors)They have not received a single lot till date and have no update either on this issue. Awaiting eagerly to see if the delivery lot is any different from the test drive ones.
Yes. As stated above, Harrier deliveries have already started. Last night, I saw an orange one in my locality with some puja done. Two people drove it into a residential society. Should be a new delivery, IMO.

That said, the car is huge in size. Lucky for me, a Compass and few Cretas passed around the same time. I would put the Harrier at par with the XUV and looks bigger than the Compass. And the Creta looks compact in its company.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks