Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2018, 07:40   #316
BHPian

I don't think Toyota Can do anything about it as Tata has already registered it as their TM.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1531361404008.jpg  

Thilak29 is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 07:46   #317
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Considering Toyota already may have copyrighted the name Harrier for their RX series of SUVs - can Tata still do a world launch with this name?
That's what I was thinking; they should have chosen a different name instead of picking an existing Toyota model name - that too another 5-seater SUV/Crossover.
The teaser looks awesome though!
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 08:40   #318
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That's what I was thinking; they should have chosen a different name instead of picking an existing Toyota model name - that too another 5-seater SUV/Crossover
I don't think it should matter much once the product is able to speak for itself. In any case, most of us here associate Sierra and Safari with those seen by us. regardless of who sold it first by that name elsewhere in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
They keep harping on pedigree so much, as if the Tata pedigree is something that will excite the indian car buyer. What pedigree? The pedigree of Tata Indica, Indigo, Sumo, Zest or Nano?
The only pedigree I know is dog food. Everything else seems to be marketing whitewash. Tata Motors should continue to let the product speak for itself. They would not want to get into a discussion if someone relates the pedigree to their service and workshops in the current state. I seriously hope they are investing efforts in upgrading the quality of service being provided. This has been one of the bugbears for them. People stay away from the product due to inefficiency of their service centers though they may like the product itself. If they want to gloss over something, it should be the service centers/ workshops than the product/ pedigree/ whatever else they deem worthwhile.

Just think of how Ford tried to change its perception by marketing targeted towards service costs. To think about it, they could do with a nice set of brand ambassadors; perhaps look at the emerging sports stars outside of cricket.
selfdrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 08:59   #319
Team-BHP Support

No news about the H7X?

It would be interesting to choose between both. Harrier would be a better choice, as even if you tour to all places, at the end of the day, you will have to commute or while touring, face congestion at various places or park at tight spots.

Lets see how H7X shapes up.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 11:35   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
No news about the H7X?

It would be interesting to choose between both. Harrier would be a better choice, as even if you tour to all places, at the end of the day, you will have to commute or while touring, face congestion at various places or park at tight spots.

Lets see how H7X shapes up.
Have been waiting for a capable 7 seater ever since I sold my Safari. Not sure why Tata is mum about the 7 seater. Tata guys we need a proper reveal.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 12:33   #321
BHPian

TATA has definitely come of age! Wonderful design and and I am pretty darn sure that this will come with some segment best features yet priced competitively!

All the pedigree talks aside, I am looking at this as a worthy upgrade to my EcoSport. Pretty sure this guy will come with a proper AT box to pit it against the Creta.

Just hope the features distribution across variants is not something similar to Nexon though. Nexon could have done a little more better with a well spread out features list.

My two cents worth..
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 12:49   #322
Senior - BHPian

Thats a lousy name for a sharply cut and beautiful SUV. In normal conversation, it can be mistaken for "Hairier". Feel they missed the opportunity to bring back the Seirra name just like Maruti did for the Baleno.
motomaverick is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 14:07   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Thats a lousy name for a sharply cut and beautiful SUV. …. Feel they missed the opportunity to bring back the Seirra....
How true!! Its a lost opportunity to have resurrected the Sierra as Sierra -Redux! It would have brought back fond memories to many erstwhile Sierra owners..

On another note, now their website is active and it describes the vehicle as a 5 seater..so the 7 seater (if there is such a version) will roll-out later.
Rigid Rotor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 14:10   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
The name looks apt for the SUV. I don't think Toyota should have any issues with the name as they are not offering their Harrier in India. It might be a matter for concern when TATA decides to launch the new SUV in international market in the same name.

I think they should go with the same name for both SUVs if they share the same design (looks). Maybe add a suffix to the existing name (like Harrier Plus, etc).
The Toyota Harrier is a Japan only product and it's unlikely these products are going to see a market overlap. Everywhere else the Toyota Harrier is sold as a Lexus! There are a few that have been individually imported from Japan but Toyota does not sell the Harrier worldwide!
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 14:56   #325
BHPian

Sorry if i missed this earlier. Is this a compact SUV like the Brezza or more in the league of XUV 500?
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 15:06   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Sorry if i missed this earlier. Is this a compact SUV like the Brezza or more in the league of XUV 500?
Brezza range SUV from Tata is Nexon

This 5 seater looks like competition to Creta and Compass. We do not have much information on 7 seater version yet.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 15:10   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Thats a lousy name for a sharply cut and beautiful SUV. In normal conversation, it can be mistaken for "Hairier". Feel they missed the opportunity to bring back the Seirra name just like Maruti did for the Baleno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
How true!! Its a lost opportunity to have resurrected the Sierra as Sierra -Redux! It would have brought back fond memories to many erstwhile Sierra owners..
I doubt the name would make much of a difference. Case in point 'CRETA', even that sounded weird relating it to ex-creta , but that didn't deter its sales whatsoever. I guess if the vehicle is good enough it will get what it deserves. But agreed 'Sierra' name would have sounded really nice.

As far as naming disaster goes , I cant think of anything as bad as skoda 'laura'. In this case am sure the name did have an influence on some people

Last edited by SoumenD : 12th July 2018 at 15:13.
SoumenD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 16:05   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
I think they should consider a 1.6L diesel option. 2L may be a bit much for India.
Power and lights - are never enough
ihrishi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 16:27   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The Toyota Harrier is a Japan only product and it's unlikely these products are going to see a market overlap. Everywhere else the Toyota Harrier is sold as a Lexus! There are a few that have been individually imported from Japan but Toyota does not sell the Harrier worldwide!
You are both right and wrong. The Toyota Harrier IS manufactured only in Japan supposedly for the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) but it is quite a sought-after parallel import vehicle across south-east Asia. I myself have seen quite a few in Singapore! Typically in such cases, the Toyota logo is replaced with a fancy one which makes it legally possible to sell in the destination country. Service I think is easily available in Toyota SG workshops, warranty I'm not so sure about.

Parallel imports like this:
http://www.oneshift.com/new_cars/car...&model=harrier
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 17:57   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Harrier is sold in Malaysia by Toyota Malaysia. Not as an import but like other regular Toyota cars. They use the name Harrier itself and it doesn't come under Lexus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Typically in such cases, the Toyota logo is replaced with a fancy one which makes it legally possible to sell in the destination country. Service I think is easily available in Toyota SG workshops, warranty I'm not so sure about.
All Harriers come with that logo in the front. That is the logo of Harrier in Japan as all JDM Toyotas get their own logo. Other places (rear, inside) will have Toyota logo (T logo). They are not there to overcome any legal hurdles. Even in Singapore Harrier is now sold through Toyota dealerships. Customers doesn't have to go through the hassles of importing. It is available right out of the showroom. Like a CBU which come with warranty etc.

Note to Mods: Posting back to back, because the edit widow expired. Please merge both posts. Thanks.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th July 2018 at 12:27. Reason: back to back posts merged
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks