Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2019, 16:45   #3346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harrier Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
I did not find the engine to be noisy. Music was shut while we were moving, and my figo is definitely noisier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteddriver View Post
Compared to the petrol Punto's noise I am used to, I didn't feel the Diesel engine noise to be very high. I felt the cabin to be pretty well insulated. Even the horn could be heard only feebly inside the cabin.
Noise should be benchmarked against competition, not against hatchbacks.

That said, and especially after watching that last video review in Hindi, am beginning to wonder if noise is restricted to ‘Sport’ mode only and is intended to enhance the sporty feeling, because I drove it ONLY in sport mode for a longish TD. I didn’t bother with the other modes.
Old 26th February 2019, 18:16   #3347
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

I spent some more time with Harrier this weekend. Last time I got only few minutes during the 'Discover' event but this time I had the entire car to myself after waiting for 1 family to check it and move.

Earlier I couldn't find my seating position easily. This time it was different. I found it pretty easily and quickly. Maybe someone (my height & build) must have adjusted it and I found my driving position quickly.

Once you peek to your right, one thing that really stands out is the huge ORVM. I mean it is *huge* and creates a big blind spot. I guess this will require some getting used to. Just worried about night time with no lights around. Will have to test during the TD.

My left leg kept brushing against the gear dash earlier but once I found my position, I had ample space and did not face the issue of my left leg touching it.

The view is definitely great once you are inside. It feels majestic and high (I drive a hatchback currently) and you can easily see the bonnet.

Tried to test the audio but did not have USB with me. Didn't try with bluetooth. FM wasn't receiving much signal for some reason and all I got was interference in the audio. Will have to check that later.

I started the car and was waiting for the NVH to be high but was pleasantly surprised. There was hardly any engine noise inside the cabin. The gear wasn't shaking either.

Hand brake works well and fits well when disengaged - though didn't feel sturdy. Not sure if it will last long with usage. Hope Tata fixes it and makes it better.

The front seats were very well cushioned. Rear bench has a lot of space - something sorely missing in Creta & Compass.
Getting in was very easy - didn't feel any climb but getting it felt like I was sitting really high and had to actually step down. This was felt on both the front & back seats.

Checked the fit & finish, panel gaps and found everything to be consistent. No bad welding spots, no wide or inconsistent gaps. Nothing stood out quality wise.

Overall I came back extremely impressed. Just waiting for the Automatic to launch before I book it.

I spoke to the Sales executive and he said that in official capacity there is no information about the automatic version. Later on during casual chatting he mentioned that it is being worked upon and will be released later with probably a sunroof (his guess). He also mentioned that H7X will launch around the same time as automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Quite a comprehensive review of the Harrier where he touched a lot of minor details missed by the established you tube channels. I test drove the Harrier twice and I agree with all of his views.

He is the first guy to give feedback on the terrain modes albeit on tarmac, I am sure most of us who test drove the car would have hardly got the time to check them out.
Those beeps over 80 & 120 are present. At 80, it is still ok - appears only once in a while. Over 120, it is persistent. Slightly irritating in the beginning - but can me masked with either audio & a/c combination or the mind will tune it out after a while.

Having said that, in most cases the cars on highways are around 90-110 range with very few going over 120. It should suffice for now. But with roads getting better, I'm sure folks will find it irritating with time. There might be a way to turn it off.

Last edited by sngautam : 26th February 2019 at 18:18. Reason: Removing youtube link & preview
sngautam is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 20:57   #3348
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Here is an update of my experience with Harrier's booking till now.

We booked the Harrier in the first week of November. Estimated delivery promised in February. No email confirmation received. No allotment number given.

February comes, now estimated delivery in first week of March.

I am informed that when the deliveries start, we are eighth in line for the White XZ variant.

A couple of days back, I am told that a customer who was before us in the line, can't manage the payment, so if we are interested, we can get his car. But, we will have to deposit the down payment the same day. I refused. I said, unless the car reaches the dealership, I am not paying anything.

Yesterday I get another call, I am informed that my car is in transit and I should deposit the down payment.

Today, they call again, urging me to make a deposit. If not full, at least 25% of the down payment.

The reason I was given is that 'there is a lot of demand' for the Harrier.

When I asked, hasn't a Harrier been allotted to me. He says no. I asked about the ₹30,000 booking amount I paid. That's doesn't mean allotment, he says.

I asked him, if is this an auction of some sort they are hosting. The one which pays the earliest, gets the delivery. What about an allotment order. He evaded giving a clear response.

I am starting to think, what kind of circus this Tata's system is. So unorganised.

No allotment letter.

No written updates.

All verbal.

And the dealers have made it worse.

Last edited by ashutoshb : 26th February 2019 at 20:58.
ashutoshb is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 21:55   #3349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sngautam View Post
Those beeps over 80 & 120 are present. At 80, it is still ok - appears only once in a while. Over 120, it is persistent. Slightly irritating in the beginning - but can me masked with either audio & a/c combination or the mind will tune it out after a while.

Having said that, in most cases the cars on highways are around 90-110 range with very few going over 120. It should suffice for now. But with roads getting better, I'm sure folks will find it irritating with time. There might be a way to turn it off.
Don't worry we Indians will find a way to disable the alarm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I am starting to think, what kind of circus this Tata's system is. So unorganised.

No allotment letter.

No written updates.

All verbal.

You can trust Tata and it's dealers to really screw up the ownership experience even before you get the car. This is pure 'shady' under hand dealing don't give in. How come they don't give you an acknowledgement and booking number even after taking the 'booking' amount.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 22:29   #3350
BHPian

Quote:
When I asked, hasn't a Harrier been allotted to me. He says no. I asked about the ₹30,000 booking amount I paid. That's doesn't mean allotment, he says.

I asked him, if is this an auction of some sort they are hosting. The one which pays the earliest, gets the delivery. What about an allotment order. He evaded giving a clear response.

No allotment letter.

No written updates.

All verbal.

When I booked my Nexon at Concorde Motors even I was told that the booking does not guarantee anything. Even if the dealer does not have a single car in his yard, he can still take bookings.
Invoicing, which is done on payment of at least 80% of the price of the car, can only done when there is a physical car present in the dealer's yard.

So yes, booking does not mean an allotment and the dealer is correct about this.

However, the dealer must give you your booking receipt and a yellow form called commitment form. This form usually contains the details of your negotiated price, accessories etc with the dealer.
ayankm is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 13:37   #3351
BHPian

Has anyone encountered "Handling/logistics charges" levied by showrooms, while buying Harrier or Tiago?

In Bangalore, when I visited authorized TATA showroom, in the price list that I was shown, had a separate "Handling charges" mentioned for all models.

When I questioned about it, I was told, the handling charges are levied by TATA MOTORS itself and they have written communication about the same.

The reason they gave was absurd. If TATA MOTOTS levy those charges, it should come under Ex-factory price and eventually included in Ex-Showroom price, not separately.
redbaron91 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 13:50   #3352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron91 View Post
Has anyone encountered "Handling/logistics charges" levied by showrooms, while buying Harrier or Tiago?

While buying my Tiago in November last year, i asked them to remove Rs.6500 handling charges. I told them that i have worked in the car showroom before and i know these charges are Illegal. They didn't say a word against it and removed the handling charges.
tushky is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 14:08   #3353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
While buying my Tiago in November last year, i asked them to remove Rs.6500 handling charges. I told them that i have worked in the car showroom before and i know these charges are Illegal. They didn't say a word against it and removed the handling charges.
Even I tried all means. I'm into automotive field as well, and I showed them the court orders that I got from web search, related to illegal handling charges. I have tweeted about the same to Tata motors as well, but nothing have helped so far, and my sister has gone ahead in booking Tigor, and she paid around 6K for handling charges.

After all these years, finally customers are flocking to TATA dealership, thanks to exceptional products & pricing by TATA MOTORS. But with all these issues related to deliveries and the behavior of TATA dealerships, i think the some damage to their good products will happen sooner or later.
redbaron91 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 14:12   #3354
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayankm View Post
So yes, booking does not mean an allotment and the dealer is correct about this.
This is really strange! In Ashutosh's case, he booked a White XZ which I guess might be a popular colour/variant combination. But what if someone books a less popular option? Shouldn't the dealership send that order to the factory, and then the factory manufacture that car against said booking number?

When I bought my EcoSport few months back, the dealership gave me a printed receipt/acknowledgement along with a booklet filled with my details, the order details and the accessories they had agreed to give for free. This booklet was signed by the dealership manager. Later that day I received an email from the dealership again confirming my booking and quoting a tentative delivery date.

My order details were then forwarded to Ford and later a car was built in their factory as per my colour/variant and allotted to my name. It was then sent to the dealership, I did the PDI and then paid the rest amount. Till then I had paid only the booking amount.

Although I did hear from the dealership manager that once the car is manufactured against their booking, the dealership has to buy the car, only then it'll be sent to them. After that if the customer cancels booking, then it remains in their stockyard for any other customer to pick up, or they may sell it to another dealership who has the same booking.

Not sure how it works for other companies/dealerships. Maybe in case of Tata dealership, they want to be sure that the customer won't cancel booking after the dealership buys the car from factory. So they might be asking for some additional amount on top of booking amount.

But the other issue with no confirmation or clarity regarding booking itself is really pathetic
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 15:18   #3355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Not sure how it works for other companies/dealerships. Maybe in case of Tata dealership, they want to be sure that the customer won't cancel booking after the dealership buys the car from factory. So they might be asking for some additional amount on top of booking amount.
The way things happened in your case, is an ideal way. All dealers are expected to follow this process but some dealers bend these rules to their own benefit. If a dealer is undergoing financial issues, he may not have the capital to 'buy' the car from the OEM and thus asks the customer to deposit the amount first. Anyways, whatever be the reason, a customer should not make the payment before physically seeing the car. This is what i have learnt (in a nutshell).
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 16:08   #3356
Senior - BHPian

Follow up on Tata Motors' booking circus.

Earlier, the dealer sales rep had promised me that if I pay the same day, I will get my car in two days. He meant the car will reach the Delhi depot in two days, the next day I can take delivery.

I took note of @ayankm's post. I somewhat agreed that in order to get the allotment, I can pay a little bit more. It wasn't necessary, but I thought I will pay anyways after two days.

So I agreed to pay 50% of the down payment. I paid the next day.

Today was the day the car was supposed to reach the Tata Motor's Delhi depot.

Here is how the conversation went:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-concorde.jpg  

ashutoshb is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 17:30   #3357
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, what is the actual waiting time for a fresh Harrier booking? It sounds like if people are willing to put down the cash, the vehicle can be had in 2-3 weeks, irrespective of if and when the vehicle was booked or not.
Old 1st March 2019, 00:35   #3358
BHPian

Meanwhile 5 Harriers were delivered in Kerala the other day by Malayalam Vehicles.

Slowly the other colours have begun to make their way to showrooms. Would be interesting to see the numbers for February. Interestingly it's only XZ everywhere.

Source YouTube.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-20190301_002729.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-20190301_002630.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-20190301_002701.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190301002016_youtube.jpg  

Last edited by uday.ere : 1st March 2019 at 00:37.
uday.ere is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 19:42   #3359
BHPian

I had quite a pleasant experience with the test drive of the Harrier. The sales person was courteous was in conversation with me for a couple of days post which he drove down, around 8KM for the test drive.

The experience was fantastic and my only concern was if the vehicle would fit in my narrow parking spot currently being utilized by my XUV (2014). The reason being, the Harrier feels a lot more spacious from the inside which makes you feel it's a larger car, though in actual there's not much variance from the XUV. It also drove much more refined and handled on bad roads really well.

I made the booking the same day and is expecting delivery by April. I do however wish the experience at these Tata dealerships were more desirable.
soji is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 21:33   #3360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron91 View Post
You can get that waived off but that needs escalation to Tata Motors. I had done the same last year while buying Hexa. I had started by writing an email to customer care and finally dealer received instructions from Tata Motors. Dealer himself will not waive it off.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks