Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2019, 12:22   #3406
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

That seems to be a glitch; when you don't have a color rendered for the canvas. I would not assume TML would release the black version since it's not a part of the official color choices available.

On the other hand, the Harrier might not look great in black either since it would mellow down a lot of the design elements especially the tailgate section. Just my thoughts; I love black cars otherwise and my current vehicle is black too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Tata Harrier Black colour shows up on official site via imaginator

(Source)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th March 2019 at 01:39. Reason: Removed URL from quoted post for readability. Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 14:28   #3407
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Range Rover Evoque vs TATA Harrier vs Audi Q7
Road Presence

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190310144958_chrome.jpg

Quote:
" People are already familiar with Evoque and Q7. So Harrier makes everyone turn their heads. "

" Scratch off the Tata logo and 90% of the people can mistake it for a luxury imported SUV. "

TATA Harrier vs Range Rover Evoque
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190310145102_chrome.jpg

TATA Harrier vs Audi Q7
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190310145021_chrome.jpg

Source

Last edited by JS Kwt : 10th March 2019 at 14:52.
JS Kwt is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 19:30   #3408
BHPian

Harrier 💪 ! Looks like high-speed crash since side mirrors are turned forward.
HarshGtR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 21:23   #3409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
Harrier �� ! Looks like high-speed crash since side mirrors are turned forward.
If you search "Tata Harrier" or any new popular car on Youtube, you will find a bunch of bozos taking cars on test drives only to upload videos on YouTube on the car's Max speed and off-roading capabilities. They have absolutely no intention of buying the car whatsoever and I wonder if they even possess a valid driving license. This has become a trend these days and I wonder if this stupidity would ever be put to cease.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th March 2019 at 01:40. Reason: Removed URL from qouted post for readability. Thanks
soji is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 00:46   #3410
Senior - BHPian

Finally, after long wait, I could check out the Harrier today. As much as I wanted, couldn't find time earlier from my hectic schedule. I went to Arya Motors, Sector 14, Gurgaon; the place abuzz with lots of customers, most of them wanted to check out Harrier. The Sales advisor was friendly, but was unable to offer much about the product. There was one silver Harrier getting some parts replaced (front grill area), couldn't get more details on that.

Coming to the product itself, most has been already shared in this thread. So, I'll just focus on points that impressed/ troubled me.
  • It's huge, a 5 seater in space for 7 seater. Boot space is like living room.
  • Exterior is also good, overall stance is excellent; but hood is bit too high for my liking (when I looked from front). Alloy wheel design is boring.
  • Interiors are awesome, materials, fit and finish, Tata has seriously upped the game. Wood finish inserts looked tasteful (at some places the protective plastic film was removed, so true colour/ texture was visible). I don't have much sense of colour/ shade, but my wife was impressed with the interior theme. For me that says a lot about Harrier.
  • Rear seat has recess for headrests, so the headrests won't poke into neck/ back if set low.
  • C/D pillars are really pillars, very thick, constrain rearward view badly. The cladding around rear wiper doesn't help either.
  • As many members have reported, parking brake handle seems flimsy. I couldn't believe Tata screwed up on this part while they focused on rest of the interiors. Though I think it won't have any functional concerns. It's light to apply and has smooth operation (high lever ratio ?).
Now, about the debated seating position :
  • At 5'9'', I am of average height, not very short but with heavy built. Then also, in my current vehicle (Vitara Brezza), I drive with driver seat at the highest position for better overall view.
  • I tried the same in Harrier, but found the sunvisor in my vision cone. Also, steering wheel felt bit low (even when set to highest position). When I moved my left leg to press clutch, my knee hit the centre console. My wife (5'2") had none of these issues. Conclusion : Highest position in Harrier is only for short height people.
  • Then I lowered the seat height to have clear forward view. All the issues faced earlier disappeared; except two. Even in this position, the armrest was useless. Too short & too low. Big miss I must say, that too in a premium offering. In Brezza, arm rest is practical and comfortable for me.
  • With the seat position set, when I tried to get off the vehicle, my left knee got struck with steering column and my head hit the door frame. It was difficult to come out. So, even this seat position can't be used by me.
Test Drive (Good bits) :
  • Steering is light. Brakes are excellent; had to make a hard stop as an idiot in front of me decided to take a sharp left turn without indication.
  • Gears are sorted out for city traffic, it can be driven in 3rd gear for most of the time.
  • ORVMs are huge and thick A-pillars didn't cause any trouble as I am used to moving my head-around for better view.
  • Couldn't take it to open road and check it on higher speeds.
Test Drive (Not-so-Good bits) :
  • Clutch pedal is too too light and has very short travel. The vehicle lunged forward as clutch got released very fast. I almost hit my own vehicle that was parked bit ahead. It will take some time to get used to. Still, partial-clutch driving/ climb (whenever required) might be a tricky affair.
  • Vehicle itself feels heavy while driving; and combined with length, I suspect it'll easily sway its tail on sharp steering inputs. Like driving a fully loaded 7 seater. It's good that ESP is included in package, but not sure if I'll be confident to attempt any quick steer maneuvers that I can easily perform in Brezza.
  • While on road, particularly in city traffic, can't just rely on IRVM. Need more awareness of surroundings, it's easy to loose bikers behind thick pillars.
Test Drive (Bad bits) :
  • Too much vibrations (right from idling to well upto 2000 rpm) on steering wheel, gear shift lever and seat back. I really felt uncomfortable during the whole test drive. I hope this was just an isolated vehicle with something really off. May be this vehicle is from those initial batch vehicles. BHPians who have taken TD, please share your experience. If my schedule permits, I will go to another dealer for TD to verify this.
  • Engine sounded harsh right from the word go. It is mentioned that this is a de-tuned Jeep Compass engine, which in my opinion, should not have major mechanical changes. But, it felt nothing like that. Did Tata missed critical NVH packaging ? Could be the issue with this particular TD vehicle ?
At highest position of seat : my knee hits the console while operating clutch
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1.jpg

At seat position with clear vision cone : my knee is clear of the console while operating clutch
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-2.jpg

Arm rest is useless
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-3.jpg

Rear view is very constrained; cladding around rear wiper eats up whatever view is left. Also, notice the recess on rear seat for headrests.
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-4.jpg

My knee hits steering column while coming out
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-5.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft View Post
But the logistics charge and basic accessories remain at 9500/- and 8500/- respectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soji View Post
You could ask them to exclude the accessories and add some of your own. The 8500 for a set of mats and mud flaps isn't justified. You might choose to add the moulded mats, flaps and other accessories of your choice for this price.
Taking any add-on like basic accessories, extended warranty, insurance from dealer, engine protect cover is at customer's discretion. Since, dealers have commission/ targets on each of these, they present these as mandatory. I have successfully dropped some/all of such add-ons for myself, friends, family at dealers of various OEMs. It just needs a polite but firm stand.

Can't say so about the logistics charge.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 11th March 2019 at 01:07.
AutoNoob is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 15:26   #3411
BHPian

Tata Harrier Off-Roader
Stunning Render

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190312155348_chrome.jpg

Source
JS Kwt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 10:39   #3412
BHPian

At one update a day on this thread, I think it's fair to say Tata has totally failed to keep the excitement alive. Also, shocking is their delay in providing a review vehicle for official TBhp review. They must have a lot of rework to do and are scared to death to put the Harrier under a TBhp scrutiny.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 12:46   #3413
Senior - BHPian

Managed to go to Forum Koramangala to see the Harrier in the flesh. Note that I wasn't able to check any of the electronic features or boot space because the battery was disconnected and the boot is electronically locked. Apparently the boot can only be unlocked electronically and had accidentally been shut by another customer - I cannot verify this.

Full disclosure - I like Tata, and my family has owned the Indica V2, Indigo, and most recently the Zest - all petrols - of which the Zest is still with us and is the most relevant comparison in terms of quality. For reference I currently own a Rapid petrol, and there is a Cruze and Ciaz in the family.

Also please note that I am 179cm and 76kgs, for height and weight reference.

First addressing the most common criticisms of the Harrier:

• Fingers Jamming in the inner door latch - false on two counts, one the latch doesn't need to be pulled that far to actuate the mechanism, and two the fingers would not be curled around the lever to be caught in between the handle and lever. This would only be a problem if one intentionally tries to get the fingers jammed, because otherwise it is not natural.

• Knee hitting the centre console - Depends on the chosen seating position - with my opinion being that it is false. The seating position of the driver seat is more car like than expected. I felt most comfortable sitting lower than I expected, which resulted in more than enough leg room, decent foot space even while using the dead pedal, and ability to fully depress the clutch pedal. For those interested in an SUV like seating position and being able to see the bonnet it will be a disappointment at best and cause the issue of the knee hitting the centre console or steering column as mentioned by others. Why I feel this is false criticism is because a tall driver will not sit high or close enough to cause these problems, and a shorter one wouldn't have long enough legs - it's fairly simple geometry to understand.

• Unusable arm rest - not entirely true provided the previous point is considered. Sitting in a natural position (lower than expected) I found the arm rest usable, though not as much as my Rapid and certainly not whilst changing gears. It is a rest only while resting. This may be true criticism for shorter drivers though.

• Poor fit/finish/quality of welds and plastics - no problems with the welds or metal panel gaps. I'll reserve judgement on the boot because it was improperly (not completely) shut. Plastics are good in all contact points and look good in general. Switches and buttons are well made and damped. For reference the tops of the inner door panel is of better than Zest quality but not as good as the Rapid. Far better than Maruti plastics in feel and "tap" test - and they look good. One really has to start searching for and tapping things one wouldn't normally touch to find hollow sounds, but even those aren't any poorer than the Zests.

• Park brake lever - In my opinion it is form over function, though function hasn't really been sacrificed. What it does mean is a bit of a learning curve, but neither I nor others checking the car had any difficulty engaging or disengaging the brake. This adds character - unnecessary, yet a reminder of what one is driving. It is like the reverse gear actuation in the Rapid - unusual but it is a tangible reminder and characteristic of the car.

General Observations:

• Brilliant seats - This was with the leatherette upholstery, firm seats with great contouring front and back. The rear bench has scoops at each end but the middle seat is in no way uncomfortable despite the mild floor hump and middle arm rest.

• Good ergonomics - probably needs the seating position to be sorted as mentioned, but I found everything to hand, nice short gear shift, good to hold & meaty steering.

• Doors have nice, padded arm rests. The doors themselves close with a nice thunk.

• The car is quite tall, though getting in and out is not a trouble height wise. There is a bit of a stretch to get out of the rear seat unless one adopts the swivel-step method instead of sticking one leg out first. Again a matter of getting used to it IMHO.

• Looks great in person, even in that orange colour. The alloys could have been better designed though.

This was as much as I could focus on in that short period because I'm interested in the car and wanted to identify deal breakers. I'll check again later for engine noise. I'm keen on petrols so might wait for the 1.6T if the launch is in the next year or so.

Sorry if my opinions/observations are incomplete.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th March 2019 at 10:55. Reason: Typo
VeluM is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 13:30   #3414
BHPian

Tata Harrier 0-100 km/h acceleration
in 'City' & 'Sport' modes

Quote:
The first acceleration run is done in the City mode. As demonstrated by the speedo needle, the Tata Harrier seems reasonably quick off the block, but the rise in speed slows down a fair bit once it crosses the 60 km/h mark. Finally, the SUV manages to post a 0-100 km/h timing of 13.407 seconds.

Next, the Harrier is tested in the Sport mode, where the acceleration is a lot more rapid. The speedo needle nudges the 100 km/h mark in a remarkably quick 10.842 seconds.
Source
JS Kwt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 13:48   #3415
Senior - BHPian

Highlights from ET's chat with Tata Motors Managing Director Guenter Butschek

Quote:

Tata Motors’ new SUV Harrier logs over 10k bookings

Tata Motors Managing Director Guenter Butschek told ET the response to the Harrier has been encouraging and that has enabled the company get a new set of buyers into the brand.

'We have more than 10,000 pending orders, which is extremely strong. Could we have done better, sure. I would have loved to. From my own expectations of delivering exceptional quality, we did not meet expectations, but we were good so far and improving every day.'

We are booked for the next four months and I think that is a good show,” added Butschek.

With bookings opening in October and despite the launch in January, the company has not dispatched more than 2,000 units by the end of February, raising questions on quality issues of the product.

Butschek says there were some minor niggles which were addressed right at the dealer end. He said there was nothing fundamentally wrong in the product and the lower dispatches were on account of implementation of new product introduction process being put in place to deliver highest quality to the customers.

On the Harrier itself he said that the diesel automatic is on the way and the one with the sunroof will also come. There will be petrol post BS VI. The company is likely to plant a 1.6 litre petrol GDI on the Harrier post 2020, with eventual addition of hybrid system to meet CAFE norms of 2022.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...6.cms?from=mdr

I'd rather have Tata be slow on delivering Harriers, than meet demand while sacrificing quality at production lines. The time/delay invested now will be well worth it, the Omega platform is a learning curve for Tata with more products in the pipeline. A customer would be far more annoyed with a half-baked product vis-a-vis having to wait longer for delivery.
shortbread is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 15:27   #3416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I'd rather have Tata be slow on delivering Harriers, than meet demand while sacrificing quality at production lines. The time/delay invested now will be well worth it, the Omega platform is a learning curve for Tata with more products in the pipeline. A customer would be far more annoyed with a half-baked product vis-a-vis having to wait longer for delivery.
I agree fully with your point and am happy to know that Tata is prioritising quality over dispatch numbers. A birdie in Tata Motors also confirmed that there is hard push on quality even though its affecting the daily production.

However, I am bit confused why such a simple thing was conveyed by Mr. Butschek in a web of cryptic terms; and which is only partially true. New process (production line operations and/or sequence) was implemented because its a new platform/ product. In case a product is on same/ existing platform, the changes are comparatively less. In my experience, this is applicable to any new product and all such issues should be sorted out before giving Go-Ahead for mass production. So, if Tata is still optimising such processes, this shows slow learning curve. Remember similar concerns had slowed down deliveries of Tiago/ Nexon etc.

And I am still trying to figure out exact meaning of the below process.
Quote:
on account of implementation of new product introduction process being put in place to deliver highest quality to the customers.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 18:48   #3417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
At one update a day on this thread, I think it's fair to say Tata has totally failed to keep the excitement alive. Also, shocking is their delay in providing a review vehicle for official TBhp review. They must have a lot of rework to do and are scared to death to put the Harrier under a TBhp scrutiny.
Lovely car being mishandled by Tata. Although Tata says they have sold 1400 cars, I do not see any cars on the road. Am sure they are holding back production and sale to fix issues. Makes me wonder what the long term reliability of the Harrier will be. After all no Tata car has a reputation for reliability. They do not age well too. And fall apart faster than foreign brand cars.

By the time Tata iron out all issues and have production in full swing, all novelty would have evaporated. Tata should have waited and launched the finished product.
Old 13th March 2019, 18:54   #3418
BHPian

Great product! But Tata is doing their best to kill it Why Tata? The same thing happened with the Tiago and Tigor. The public forgot them in the time during media drives and launch! Not to mention the niggles of the pre-launched vehicles. Tata, I hope you are listening. Iron out the niggles or else end up with a reputation of the 2011 XUV500 And please bring out that diesel auto quick. That will be the trump card against the Compass!
Old 13th March 2019, 19:16   #3419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I agree fully with your point and am happy to know that Tata is prioritising quality over dispatch numbers. A birdie in Tata Motors also confirmed that there is hard push on quality even though its affecting the daily production.

However, I am bit confused why such a simple thing was conveyed by Mr. Butschek in a web of cryptic terms; and which is only partially true. New process (production line operations and/or sequence) was implemented because its a new platform/ product. In case a product is on same/ existing platform, the changes are comparatively less. In my experience, this is applicable to any new product and all such issues should be sorted out before giving Go-Ahead for mass production. So, if Tata is still optimising such processes, this shows slow learning curve. Remember similar concerns had slowed down deliveries of Tiago/ Nexon etc.
Even a large established manufacturer like VW with global operations was brought to its knees when they implemented the MQB modular platform during the early part of this decade. A simple google search will reveal further horror stories about the German giant's struggles. This is not the first time a car manufacturer has gone through a 'slow learning' curve and will not be the last either.

The Omega modular platform is new for Tata in more ways than one. It's the largest monocoque car they have ever produced. If you go through this thread there were comments on the complexity of the cross member used to mount the Harrier's dashboard on. Even the assembly line is brand new! So I do not think there is only 'partial truth' in the message that was conveyed.

True that the platform is derived from JLR, but lets not forget JLR is a separate entity producing cars in another country using completely different production line and workforce. Tata is starting from scratch here including training it's workforce and even getting to grips regarding the quality standards to be met.

Once proven successful the scale-able Omega platform will mean completely different models including the Harrier, Buzzard, MPV etc will be made on a single production line in Pune, taking advantage of parts commonality and having the flexibility to alter volumes as per demand.

Getting the Harrier right off the production line must be priority number one. Tata resolves this and gains confidence on the Omega platform; then the H7X, MPV etc will be easier tasks at hand. If that means slow production numbers initially then so be it.
shortbread is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 20:14   #3420
BHPian

Another Tata Harrier Demo Vehicle Crashed:

https://gaadiwaadi.com/another-tata-...crashed-video/
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks