Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 20:29   #3511
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I didn't face that reported problem of the left leg rubbing against the center console (as posted by other BHPians). Maybe it only affects shorter / heavier folks?
When I had visited Concorde motors and checked out the Harrier, I face the same issue that was reported by many others. And I am 5'10 and about the same build as you too. At that time, I figured out and concluded that it occurs only if the seat is at the highest position (this was also observed by BHPian VeluM).

Now that you mention the reach adjustment, I realize I didn't try that and perhaps the problem will go away if the seat height and steering reach can both be adjusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
If "half-baked" is the remark that got you worked up, would you accept "three-quarter-baked" as an acceptable compromise? Or say 90% baked? It is clear that Tata had work to do, and I am willing to concede on the percentage. So how much is it?
See, in your attempt to go one-up, you are taking it personal now. I think I know my English and I am most certain a half-baked product can't be equated to a good product. A half baked product is something that can't be consumed, but a good-yet-not-great-one can very well be used by those who are not stickler for perfection.

BTW, you show one 100% baked car and watch how much time it takes an expert to tear it apart and come up with tens of flaws. There's nothing like a 100% baked car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
See, my opinion would/should not prevent your from buying the Harrier. So if you can live with it, please buy it. Does not change my opinion that it is a half-baked car. Or should I ask for a vote before I voice an opinion?
Yes, we all very well know what your opinion about the Harrier is, but just wonder why you are twisting GTO's words to support your agenda. In a crude sense, you are putting words in GTO's mouth by quoting his "Good but not great car" and inferring that as a half-baked car.
prakash_ajp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 20:40   #3512
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

People expected a lot from this product. After all the marketing and hype before the launch, they expected it to be better than competition. People were not wrong, the whole product was pitched as if it will be the best.
Seems like the marketing team and the product team did not go hand in hand, they had to launch it anyhow by January, leaving a lot of loopholes and quality checks.

Having driven one for long time, had a friends car for a day, it is good in terms of what it has to offer. But it lacks the finesse what the H & J badge offers. But it is better put together than the XUV. My driving experience was similar to GTO's. Can live with anything apart from that engine note at high RPM's, it kills the whole luxury feel of the car. At 20L its a big turn off.
That said Harrier has its own positive's, it depends on people who can live with the -ve's and enjoy the +ve's.

If this product was launched without the over-marketing done by Tata's team, would people have got a different opinion about the Harrier? Like say the same marketing which Nexon or the Tigor got? Would like to know what you guys think about this.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th March 2019 at 10:12. Reason: spacing
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 20:56   #3513
BHPian

I had this problem initially but then I found the sweet spot after a couple of adjustments to the height and slider. I'm 6 1".

The sales folks usually keep the seat at the highest position for visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
When I had visited Concorde motors and checked out the Harrier, I face the same issue that was reported by many others. And I am 5'10 and about the same build as you too. At that time, I figured out and concluded that it occurs only if the seat is at the highest position (this was also observed by BHPian VeluM).

Now that you mention the reach adjustment, I realize I didn't try that and perhaps the problem will go away if the seat height and steering reach can both be adjusted.
soji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 21:13   #3514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I am most certain a half-baked product can't be equated to a good product. A half baked product is something that can't be consumed, but a good-yet-not-great-one can very well be used by those who are not stickler for perfection.

BTW, you show one 100% baked car and watch how much time it takes an expert to tear it apart and come up with tens of flaws. There's nothing like a 100% baked car.
This baking talk is making me hungry for some cake!

I think the full review will add more detail but the consensus is fairly clear - the Harrier needs a bit more quality control and engineering before it matches the segment's quality benchmarks. For those purchasing who can afford to wait, the signal is clear - wait till they iron out these flaws and then buy.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 00:16   #3515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
This baking talk is making me hungry for some cake!
... or those purchasing who can afford to wait, the signal is clear - wait till they iron out these flaws and then buy.
I am not into baking, but love good cakes.

Had high hopes from Tata after checking-out/ driving friends' Tiago and Nexon. However, Harrier TD left me disappointed. As someone very senior said, "Tata Motors makes customers part of their development process", I'll wait for atleast one year to let them iron out niggles based on customer feedbacks.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 00:39   #3516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
At 20L its a big turn off.
This is the Harrier's number 1 problem. The word premium and the pricing set an expectation. Had the car been a bit more conservatively priced it perhaps would be a different story.

Quote:
If this product was launched without the over-marketing done by Tata's team, would people have got a different opinion about the Harrier? Like say the same marketing which Nexon or the Tigor got? Would like to know what you guys think about this.
I feel they did a decent job with the Nexon. Having said that I feel the Buzzard(Cassini still is not sitting right with me) will benefit from all the experience with the Harrier and in time the benefits will trickle down to the Harrier. I just wish they dont compromise on the 4x4 or the auto there and fix all these small niggles as it has all the elements of a smash hit there.
Old 28th March 2019, 01:39   #3517
BHPian

Hi GTO. You stated the button to scroll through the MID gets stuck. Is this button also used for incrementing/decrementing the cruise control speed when cruise control is engaged? If yes, then it may be a hazard to use. What if the button gets stuck when cruise is engaged and the driver doesnt notice it?
Old 28th March 2019, 08:06   #3518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Hi GTO. You stated the button to scroll through the MID gets stuck. Is this button also used for incrementing/decrementing the cruise control speed when cruise control is engaged? If yes, then it may be a hazard to use. What if the button gets stuck when cruise is engaged and the driver doesnt notice it?
XUV5OO has a safety feature that cruise will turn off if either of the buttons (increase or decrease speed) is held for more than a few seconds. Also, cruise will turn off on brake or accelerator usage - am sure similar safety interventions are there in all cruise enabled cars...
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 08:37   #3519
BHPian

Why am I seeing a lot of negative conclusions around this vehicle even from people without any first hand experience? Let's cut some slack here.

And what exactly is it with the conversations revolving around the '20 lacs' price bracket? I have seen very well put up cars above this segment ending up in ditches because of suspension failures, cracked alloys and what not; and these are common problems which cannot be highlighted while reviewing the vehicles, due to the nature of it.

While I accept there are smaller niggles which could have been avoided, they aren't blockers that people will have to bear them throughout. And for those who find these as blockers, all you have to do is wait until they're sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
No. There is another toggle switch for cruise control speed adjustments.
soji is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 09:16   #3520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1863090

Attachment 1863091

And so, the Tata Harrier finally arrives!!! I had some work in Pune over the weekend, so what better car to take on the 300 km round-trip than the Harrier.

Disclaimer = My quick + short review below. Full details will follow in our Official Review (as always).

In a nutshell, the Harrier is a “good” SUV, not “great”.
When GTO says "GOOD", we can take it as a "Very Good" for normal user

Nice short and crisp review. I didn't find anything deal breaking as such in Harrier from the review. SUV has to be good looking & it scores very high in that in IMHO. Also it's priced very sensibly, sits nicely between Creta & Compass.

All the best Tata. You have a great product in Hand, just make sure to market it properly and keep improving.
aniketi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:03   #3521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soji View Post
Why am I seeing a lot of negative conclusions around this vehicle even from people without any first hand experience? Let's cut some slack here.

While I accept there are smaller niggles which could have been avoided, they aren't blockers that people will have to bear them throughout. And for those who find these as blockers, all you have to do is wait until they're sorted.

No. There is another toggle switch for cruise control speed adjustments.
Hi Soji,
Since you are among the first few Harrier owners on TBHP, it would be great if you could start an ownership thread with all your experiences. It will really be helpful for everyone!
Also, another request I have is that if you could measure the boot dimensions of the Harrier and put it up on this thread for reference:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-your-car.html (Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car)

Thanks!
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:03   #3522
BHPian

GTO sir’s short drive and review has only confirmed it for me: The Compass is a superior vehicle on all counts IMHO and is completely worth the premium. Sure, it has lesser space and gizmos but it does have that emotional appeal few cars can match. But I feel that the Harrier makes for a superb case against the lower variants of the Compass (not the higher variants).

Here are my opinions:
  • Harrier XZ>Compass Sport/Longitude
  • Harrier XZ<Compass Longitude (O)/Limited/Limited Plus
  • Harrier XZ>Creta SX(O)
I think the Harrier must primarily target the XUV500. It has similar gizmos to the Mahindra and fit and finish is better in the Tata. Where the Mahindra gains (over the Tata) ,is AWD and AT. Tata

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th March 2019 at 10:13.
Old 28th March 2019, 10:16   #3523
BHPian

Definitely! I am planning to drive down to Mysore over the weekend; Would start a thread post that and will jot down what I've observed Most of my driving has been within the city traffic until now, which has been a breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Soji,
Since you are among the first few Harrier owners on TBHP, it would be great if you could start an ownership thread with all your experiences. It will really be helpful for everyone!
Also, another request I have is that if you could measure the boot dimensions of the Harrier and put it up on this thread for reference:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-your-car.html (Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car)

Thanks!
soji is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 13:38   #3524
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the short, but an effective review I must say! Reading the comments from fellow BHPians, it seems each one has perceived your "Good" to their own ratings . For some, good is not enough and some it's more than what they can expect in this price bracket. I have personally seen the vehicle and driven for a short ride and feel the same way as you.

In my opinion, what may not be working for TATA with Harrier (for now) is that, they are late (laggards) in the market with this SUV and hence the customers expect the SUV to have all the things sorted out and features available as the latest Creta/Compass/XUV has to offer. TATA can't claim that it's V1 and things will take time to sort out the issues. If they expect customers to have that kind of approach, they might well have launched something similar when XUV hit the market. Even now, without bringing the AT, AWD and Sunroof into the picture, i think Harrier still drives and handles better than the current XUV.

The vehicle is a stunner by looks and has a lot of potential to be a money-spinner for TATA. They need to fix things quickly and offer new specs by year-end so as not to lose the customer base. Personally, I will be in the market for next year for new vehicle and I am looking at HX7 with AT, more power and SunRoof. BTW, GTO's "Good" is "good enough" for me
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 14:04   #3525
BHPian

Quote:

And so, the Tata Harrier finally arrives!!! I had some work in Pune over the weekend, so what better car to take on the 300 km round-trip than the Harrier.

Disclaimer = My quick + short review below. Full details will follow in our Official Review (as always).
Hey GTO, thanks for the brief review.

Quick question, which would you pick between the XUV 500 and the Harrier? (irrespective of the 3rd row of seating)

I feel the direct competition to the Harrier lies not with the Creta but with the XUV 500. A potential customer of the Creta is bound to take into account the XUV 500 and the Harrier since it is in the same price bracket however the Creta caters to a different demographic (i.e. one who is more brand conscious and wants a relatively smaller vehicle with the consequential benefits), whereas a buyer who is ready to shell out decent money on a XUV 500 will diffidently give the Harrier a try.

Best,
Enigmatic

Last edited by SDP : 28th March 2019 at 14:23. Reason: Formatting of quoted part corrected
Enigmatic is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks