Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2019, 17:15   #3616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
I have a habit of rising the revs to 1200-1300 & then releasing the clutch, even in diesels. I developed this habit since I have to frequently drive a 99 Omni, that car needs a good amount of accelerator input before releasing the clutch.
Buddy, you need to change this habit ASAP, atleast with diesel engines, or you risk wearing out your clutches sooner.

Even with current set of petrol engines (particularly 1.2L or below), best is to have a sync between accelerator press and clutch release; rather than pressing accelerator first, letting the revs go higher and then releasing clutch.

Bigger petrol engines have enough torque and can pull ahead without accelerator input.
AutoNoob is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 19:23   #3617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I think the Harrier has the potential to be the next Creta. Once the Final version of the car is out (I think we are still under testing :P), it will best the Creta because of the sheer value for money. Plus with >2000 sales, the car is not a Dud. And that has a virtuous effect on car sales. (Sales brings more sales)
That's the issue. The final version of the Aria is the Hexa. I hope the final version of this is not another model!

My FIL is in the market for a new car and he's not much into the whole car market, just needs a good car. When I mentioned the Harrier to him, he dismissed it saying it has issues already. That's the image the Harrier is raking up in the market already.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th April 2019 at 13:06. Reason: Typo. Area -> Aria / spacing
Old 7th April 2019, 11:00   #3618
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Harrier, Jeep and XUV500 comparison by Autocar.

Space - XUV500>Harrier>Compass
Interiors - Harrier>Compass>XUV500
Exterior - Harrier>Compass>XUV500
NVH - Harrier>Compass>XUV500
Driveability - Compass>Harrier>XUV500
Ride Quality - Compass>Harrier>XUV500

Winner of the shootout based on above criteria PLUS price/VFM is the Harrier

Last edited by FrodoOfTheShire : 7th April 2019 at 11:18.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 12:34   #3619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post

How about Fuel economy?

Last edited by SDP : 7th April 2019 at 13:47. Reason: Removed video link from quote
Old 7th April 2019, 12:48   #3620
BHPian

Quote:

Conveniently missed the automatic part which only XUV500 has.

Last edited by SDP : 7th April 2019 at 13:46. Reason: Removed video link from quote
diwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 13:37   #3621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just saw the video and felt they were trying their best to ensure XUV came last. While the car is due for a full upgrade soon, it can still be a tough Challenger in the price point

Last edited by SDP : 7th April 2019 at 13:46. Reason: Removed video link from quote
rajshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 13:46   #3622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
Conveniently missed the automatic part which only XUV500 has.
But it wasn't a comparison on automatics.
They picked equivalent models of all 3 cars. Non-4x4. Non-AT (or MT) and same fuel type. And pitched those exact models with their respective specs at the respective price points of those precise models. Once you put any other variant into perspective, price also varies.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 13:52   #3623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The one in bold tells the story of this review
neoonwheels is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 20:17   #3624
BHPian

Harrier has better NVH than XUV? I find it hard to believe. I've stopped trusting Autocar reviews lately. They seem to be becoming into a PR machine for the automobile companies.

Last edited by SDP : 7th April 2019 at 21:20. Reason: Capitalized the first letter of proper names :)
Old 7th April 2019, 23:27   #3625
BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post

+1
Totally agree. It's news for me that Harrier has the best NVH. Compass or even XUV definitely is better as far as NVH is concerned.
Old 7th April 2019, 23:57   #3626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Harrier has better NVH than XUV? I find it hard to believe. I've stopped trusting Autocar reviews lately. They seem to be becoming into a PR machine for the automobile companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Well it looks like the review says Harrier has the highest NVH, if you compare the way the have expressed the space parameter.
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 01:22   #3627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I can't comment on the second part of your reply, maybe they really are a bit biased, but the part about NVH is true. The NVH levels in the Harrier is much lower than that in the XUV, I have been in both. The Harrier and the Compass are a class apart in these kind of things, not to degrade the XUV, it certainly is a very good VFM package, but insulation levels are not up to the mark. The Harrier feels better put together, as far as I'm concerned.

Although this doesn't directly involve the XUV, Zigwheels recently uploaded a Harrier vs Compass vs Creta comparison, I think you should check that out as well. They also highlighted the Harrier's above average insulation levels.

Last edited by SaiSW : 8th April 2019 at 01:27.
SaiSW is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 01:23   #3628
BHPian

My 2 cents on this. As a previous gen XUV owner for 4 years, a current Hexa XTA owner and a guy often driving the latest gen XUV W11(O) AT of my friend, I'll say Tata does know a thing or two about sound insulation and Mahindra is yet to learn that trick. The Hexa punches a segment above in terms of sound insulation. The latest gen XUV is more or less at same NVH levels as was my 1st Gen. It was and is horrible in short. The tyre and ambient noise outside is more than just a little intrusive in the XUV cabin. So let's not even call for comparisons with Compass.

Now that this discussion is related to Harrier, I have test driven the Harrier and it certainly was the later batch car and it had no infotainment screen freeze, fit/finish issue or the high NVH levels reported, unless revved to its gills. So my opinion is not merely a digital opinion dissection based on the reviews I have read. And it's opposite to how most others are assigning a probability to how much can they trust a review, that goes against their current reading and acceptance / bias developed based on previous reviews / comments.

Now if a manufacturer has been able to get later production vehicles fixed in terms of sound insulation (either on their own or via Intel gained through reviews and social media), how is that a reflection of tainted journalism or questionable reviewing ability of Autocar, unless we are talking about test driving the exact same car used by Autocar for review ? I would request cut Tata and Autocar, both, some slack. If TML has taken reviews seriously and rectified some low hanging fruits, it calls for appreciation vs calling for their heads.

The reason for posting the Hexa reference above was to remind people that Tata isn't alien to this game of NVH control and it's not particularly an engineering marvel to accomplish. The issue on earlier batches of Harrier, can be best described as Tata's oversight in getting to the market as early as possible. I wouldn't call it a quality issue as well because you can't drop noticeable decibels inside the cabin by simply improving quality on the production line. It has to be a reengineered effort and I'm glad that a company lesser know for quick reactions to market opinion is doing something in that regard.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 09:21   #3629
Senior - BHPian

I have driven 2 Harriers from different batches and both the cars had audible engine noise from 2k rpm. Jeep Compass is a lot better when it comes to NVH. I have not driven XUV that extensively so cannot comment.

Also, somehow I felt the Compass is well put together compared to Harrier but lacks in cabin space big time. I dont know if TATA supplies differently tuned cars to big review publishers but the demo car's NVH is nothing to write about.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th April 2019 at 09:30. Reason: Edited to correct typo -> NVH
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 11:20   #3630
BHPian

Tata Harrier's windshield withstanding the impact of a Chris Lynn sixer in IPL 2019. Insane!

https://www.iplt20.com/video/165445/...a-lynnsane-six
Nazzy is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed