Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2019, 00:23   #3646
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
They should either fire the agency & the marketing team, or stop making cars and stick to ad production.
Or maybe get the panels to work as designed. I think that the goal is to have a good NVH level.
Old 10th April 2019, 13:09   #3647
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

A written comparison on the trio is up on Autocar: XUV, Compass and the Harrier. Few statements regarding the NVH and Engine sound.

Quote:
Engine refinement isn’t the Harrier’s strength though, and it feels a bit louder than the Compass at idle, although both sound equally boomy on the move. You will also feel some vibrations filtering through the Harrier’s steering and clutch at idle.Both, the Harrier and Compass feel well insulated and cut passengers off from what’s going on outside.XUV500 scores poorly when it comes to cabin insulation; it’s below par for a nearly Rs 20 lakh car, with various extraneous noises filtering through at all times.
Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 4773
Size:  13.0 KB

Source

Last edited by amrutmhatre90 : 10th April 2019 at 13:16.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 14:39   #3648
BHPian

I think it should be kept in mind before bashing Autocar and Tata that NVH is not just about the engine alone. It also points to the overall insualtion and refinement of the platform as a whole. Harrier being a much newer platform is always expected to have better insulation.
coldice4u is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 15:35   #3649
Senior - BHPian

On the point of NVH, slightly off-topic post since it doesn't concern the Harrier directly as such.

However from a manufacturer's perspective, here is a typical diagnostic flow chart for NVH in a car:-

Name:  NVH.PNG
Views: 4560
Size:  124.4 KB

Sourced from VW's Self-Study program, attached PDF for reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 861503 Noise, Vibration, and Harshness.pdf (1.89 MB, 844 views)

Last edited by JoshMachine : 10th April 2019 at 15:36.
JoshMachine is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 16:55   #3650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
On the point of NVH, slightly off-topic post since it doesn't concern the Harrier directly as such.

However from a manufacturer's perspective, here is a typical diagnostic flow chart for NVH in a car:-

Sourced from VW's Self-Study program, attached PDF for reference.
This seems to be for 'vibrations' alone (that too non-engine related) and not for NVH (Noise, vibration & Harshness)
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 22:34   #3651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

3. That blind spot due to the XXL ORVM and wrongly placed in field of view is insane. When making a turn it completely blocks the kerb as well as any vehicle or cattle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

6) ORVMs look great but are two sizes too big. On my short drive, I failed to spot a cow whilst making a right turn solely due to the mirror! It's amazing how the large mirror directly hinders your field of vision. Should have been a touch smaller and positioned a 3-4 inches lower.
After having seen the vehicle in flesh, its very surprising as to how the manufacturer chose to ignore during the product safety checks, such a huge blind spot that the ORVMs create in the Harrier due to 1) huge size of ORVMs and 2) high positioning of ORVMs and 3) narrow A pillar window which directly obstructs the drivers field of view particularly when turning.
There is a very high risk of the driver totally missing any object, animal or vehicle on the sides (particularly the right side) that the vehicle may approach.

It is better to realize the risk associated with this huge ORVM blind spot and make the ORVM correction proactively rather than wait for real life troubles/incident reports from customers and then make the correction of the ORVM blind spot as a reactive measure (our typical Indian mentality where everything is done reactively rather than proactively)

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th April 2019 at 22:36.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 23:34   #3652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
It is better to realize the risk associated with this huge ORVM blind spot and make the ORVM correction proactively rather than wait for real life troubles/incident reports from customers and then make the correction of the ORVM blind spot as a reactive measure (our typical Indian mentality where everything is done reactively rather than proactively)
I wonder if any of the crash tests rating agencies take such points into account, things that could potentially lead to a crash. I guess they don't look at these things. But since TATA motors have time and again publicly proclaimed that they want to make the safest possible car, such things should be looked into and rectified. After all prevention is better than cure!
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 23:48   #3653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Few statements regarding the NVH and Engine sound.

Attachment 1867324

Source
This is a valid point by Autocar - the XUV does let a lot of outside noise through which the Harrier does a good job of cutting off. Sarcasm expressed earlier is humbly withdrawn.

Different ways of looking at refinement.

On the point of mirrors, I did not find anything alarming about the size of those mirrors - I’ve driven vehicles with bigger mirrors. I wonder what the fuss is about?
Steeroid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 00:08   #3654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
On the point of mirrors, I did not find anything alarming about the size of those mirrors - I’ve driven vehicles with bigger mirrors. I wonder what the fuss is about?
Maybe the "fuss" about the blindspots created by the ORVMs has something to do with the height of the driver and/or the driving/seating position adjustment? Almost every BHPian who has driven the Harrier has mentioned about the blindspots, including GTO.

Even BHPian Soji (who is 6ft tall) has mentioned the same in his initial ownership review -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4569721 (Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs)
Old 11th April 2019, 01:06   #3655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Maybe the "fuss" about the blindspots created by the ORVMs has something to do with the height of the driver and/or the driving/seating position adjustment? Almost every BHPian who has driven the Harrier has mentioned about the blindspots, including GTO.

Even BHPian Soji (who is 6ft tall) has mentioned the same in his initial ownership review -
I drove it for quite a distance through traffic and some narrow lanes. It seemed quite normal to me.

Perhaps I am an outlier in this group
Steeroid is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 01:19   #3656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
A written comparison on the trio is up on Autocar: XUV, Compass and the Harrier. Few statements regarding the NVH and Engine sound.

Attachment 1867324

Source
This puts lot of apprehensions and hearsay to rest. Many were infused with a bug in mind that there is a huge unacceptable noise level that needs to be critically examined while taking a test drive.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th April 2019 at 17:27. Reason: Typo
amit_mechengg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 06:37   #3657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After having seen the vehicle in flesh, its very surprising as to how the manufacturer chose to ignore during the product safety checks, ...
That part of your posts indicates either there is a standard check-list issued by some authority to all manufacturers, or the manufacturers go by their whims and fanices when designing cars.

I am not aware what car you drive. Having owned a Ford Ikon earlier, an A-Star now - both with small mirrors - and my primary ride being the Storme, I have seen both sides of the sizes of the mirrors. The mirror on the Storme is among the largest on Indian cars, and I have never had a problem with this. The A-pillar itself has been a bigger concern in the Storme and other cars too, including the A-Star and the Ikon.

Blind-spot should not even be applicable here. You are going towards a turn, and you have a good view of it as you approach it. You would be seeing what is there at the corner or ahead of you and appropriately manoeuver your car.

The way the arguments about this perceived blind-spot have been thrown around in this thread would indicate that even during a turn, the driver must have clear view of the road/kerb/corner immediately to the left of the vehicle - which is never possible (unless the vehicle is may be a door-less Jeep or Spacio - or an Auto). In every car, the driver will NOT see the actual road on his immediate left. He would have seen things before he reached the spot, and would be driving accordingly.
condor is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 09:38   #3658
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, a walk around of the XM variant-

I think it looks quite decent. Even the halogen DRLs don't look half as bad as I imagined it to be. Talking about the interiors, what sticks out like a sore thumb are those manual AC knobs. The design looks absolutely plain and basic. It is a reminiscent of the Nexon's lower variants, which further reminds me of the manual AC controls in the Tiago. They could have at least given the manual knobs a better design.

Other than those knobs, the interiors look quite decent. Yes, the faux wood trim is missing, but nothing I would really miss. And it is something which can be fitted after-market with relative ease.

The XT appears like the most VFM variant in the Harrier line up.
AYP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 10:54   #3659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I am not aware what car you drive. Having owned a Ford Ikon earlier, an A-Star now - both with small mirrors - and my primary ride being the Storme, I have seen both sides of the sizes of the mirrors. The mirror on the Storme is among the largest on Indian cars, and I have never had a problem with this. The A-pillar itself has been a bigger concern in the Storme and other cars too, including the A-Star and the Ikon.
I think this is crux - I was used to a Verna for 6 years (sold) and a Nano for 3 years (still going strong), and when I moved on to a XUV5OO from the Verna, I took a couple of 100 KM to adjust my driving to the bigger A pillars and ORVM of the XUV. 3 months and 9000 KM later, I do not find it a bother at all - it's just instinctive now.

When we move from one car to another there is some amount of getting accustomed to the characteristics of the new drive - a few minutes or hours of test drive will not get us that. I'm with you in saying a larger ORVM and the blind spot it creates is not a flaw, just a matter of getting used to.
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 11:18   #3660
BHPian

Quote:
After having seen the vehicle in flesh, its very surprising as to how the manufacturer chose to ignore during the product safety checks, such a huge blind spot that the ORVMs create in the Harrier due to 1) huge size of ORVMs and 2) high positioning of ORVMs and 3) narrow A pillar window which directly obstructs the drivers field of view particularly when turning.
There is a very high risk of the driver totally missing any object, animal or vehicle on the sides (particularly the right side) that the vehicle may approach.

This is an image from a comparison report in Autocar. The OVRM does not look particularly large to me. Maybe it is the shape or placement that comes in the way of your normal field of view.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-0_0_0_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_reviews_20190327022503__dsc5875.jpg

Anyway Tata needs to fix this ASAP. The thick A pillar in my Compass has hidden a bike or cycle a number of times, so I have to be extra careful at intersections.

A thick pillar is difficult to fix now, but the OVRM could be. So Tata should move quickly and change the design and roll out the changes via a recall.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks