Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2019, 11:23   #3661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
This is an image from a comparison report in Autocar. The OVRM does not look particularly large to me. Maybe it is the shape or placement that comes in the way of your normal field of view.

Attachment 1867465

Anyway Tata needs to fix this ASAP. The thick A pillar in my Compass has hidden a bike or cycle a number of times, so I have to be extra careful at intersections.

A thick pillar is difficult to fix now, but the OVRM could be. So Tata should move quickly and change the design and roll out the changes via a recall.
Very true. I was a bit nervous maneuvering Harrier in City traffic as most of my FOV on my right was blocked due to the ORVM. Of course it will take time getting used to and eventually you will but then that does not hide the fact that its a design issue which needs attention.
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 11:51   #3662
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
This is an image from a comparison report in Autocar. The OVRM does not look particularly large to me. Maybe it is the shape or placement that comes in the way of your normal field of view.

Anyway Tata needs to fix this ASAP. The thick A pillar in my Compass has hidden a bike or cycle a number of times, so I have to be extra careful at intersections.

A thick pillar is difficult to fix now, but the OVRM could be. So Tata should move quickly and change the design and roll out the changes via a recall.
This is not a normal viewing angle for anyone. The perspective in the picture is that of the steering wheel, or possibly the front passenger - if they lean forward.

Granted the exaggeration helps put the point across, and it is an issue that needs addressing, but not a deal breaker in my view. Anyone migrating from a smaller/lower car would be adjusting to this and a lot more, and eventually would get used to it. Better addressed ASAP though
VeluM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 12:20   #3663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Blind-spot should not even be applicable here. You are going towards a turn, and you have a good view of it as you approach it. You would be seeing what is there at the corner or ahead of you and appropriately manoeuver your car.

The way the arguments about this perceived blind-spot have been thrown around in this thread would indicate that even during a turn, the driver must have clear view of the road/kerb/corner immediately to the left of the vehicle - which is never possible (unless the vehicle is may be a door-less Jeep or Spacio - or an Auto). In every car, the driver will NOT see the actual road on his immediate left. He would have seen things before he reached the spot, and would be driving accordingly.

Some drivers do have this habit, when taking a turn to, also look at the opposite side RVM for the "just-in-case" factor. When taking a right (for example), at times some article (bike or cycle mostly) can creep up and also try to take a turn along with your vehicle, but from your left. I guess, that is the prohibition which people are mentioning for the Harrier. There is way too much noise on our streets, and RVMs' are the only magic ball out there.
Old 11th April 2019, 14:29   #3664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Some drivers do have this habit, when taking a turn to, also look at the opposite side RVM for the "just-in-case" factor..
Again, not an issue. I do that all that time. With the kind of riders we have out there, and with the size of vehicle I drive, I need to do it. The size of the mirror is not a problem at all.

Even with what you have stated, the driver has to be looking into the mirror to see what is coming up from behind, The mirror only blocks what is on the other side. These are two different things.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 14:51   #3665
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The way the arguments about this perceived blind-spot have been thrown around in this thread would indicate that even during a turn, the driver must have clear view of the road/kerb/corner immediately to the left of the vehicle - which is never possible (unless the vehicle is may be a door-less Jeep or Spacio - or an Auto). In every car, the driver will NOT see the actual road on his immediate left. He would have seen things before he reached the spot, and would be driving accordingly.
Have you taken a TD of the Harrier yet?
BTW, it's not the left side ORVM that bothered me, but the one on right.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 14:54   #3666
BHPian

Finally, I sent email to TML customer care of cancellation of the booking I made in November. My requirement is strictly AT for which I don't think will be equipped in Harrier before new BS norms kicks in next year.

I got a response from TML in 24 hours to reconsider my decision and take a TD of vehicle before taking final decision. I appreciate their promptness and concern which shows they're really upping the game in customer experience. I was even willing to make peace with few shortcoming here and there however lack of AT is non-negotiable.

I haven't yet seen many Harriers on road in Ahmadabad yet. On the contrary, I see quite a few new Civic on road. The loyalty for Honda in this region is quite amazing.

PS: I'm now eagerly waiting for Hector launch. Fingers crossed.
LeoMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 16:54   #3667
BHPian

Finally got time to go and check out the Harrier in all its glory. Will try to keep it shorter as much has been said already

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-front.jpg

Few Personal Observations:

- The first thing anyone will notice about the car is the size, presence and the stance it offers. Definitely strengthens the 'more car per car' theme. The large size and proper proportions impart great space on the inside too.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-legspace.jpg
Driver seat set to my driving position. I'm 5'7" and I was enjoying acres of space at the back.

- Panel gaps were okay-ish. Acceptable. But guess Tata has to take care of QC as things are inconsistent across different Harriers as pointed out by a couple of BHP-ians.

- The car has been a designer's dream. I'm a designer (non-automotive niche niche) myself and know that the initial design board that the designer loves is scrapped or watered down always in favor of practicality or real life constraints. That isn't the case here. Though due to the same, there are some ergonomic issues like the huge blind spot or front console brushing against the driver's left leg, etc. I think they are more acceptable than an altogether ergonomic flaw that is ugly to watch as well. For example, Scorpio's seat height adjustment or reaching out to the front door pocket. So I do give this car a pass in certain areas.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-head.jpg
What a wicked face.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tail.jpg

Tail section looks to me like a good cocktail of F-Pace and Velar, shaken, not stirred.

- Favourite elements were the face, the rear, the Jaguar inspired cockpit style curve that extends from doors to the dashboard, door grab handles, digital instrumentation, sound and the terrain management features!

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-bpillar.jpg
AC Vent on the B-Pillar reminds of the Safari Lineage. And JBL is all out this time with its branding, just like Meridian or B&O in premium cars. Good touch though. While an average Indian might not know even the brand Bose, JBL is very common and known.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-handle.jpg
The grab handle is given a good treatment and the door open lever is solid!

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-horn-pad.jpg
-The steering wheel looks nice and freshly new, and is good to hold as well. But the design of the hornpad is the only thing that doesn't somehow gel with the entire interior of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Appalling lack of attention-to-detail is inexcusable in a 20-lakh car. See how the numbering is all crooked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
The numbers do seem to be misaligned, as observed by GTO. Please see image below.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-gear.jpg
-The Gear lever has misaligned numbers. But on second thoughts, what if it was done deliberately? Tilting the numbers slightly towards the driver's plane of sight rather than the rear middle passenger's. Just a thought, as these many cars with this exact issue is either something hidden or a big goofup on a 20 lac car.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-wood-panel.jpg
-The wooden finish looks real! Explains itself. Also notice the faux grab handles. There's a mesh in between, hence its all show.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-rear-pocket.jpg
The pocket at the rear carries forward the design from the front and isn't just utilitarian. Might disturb taller middle rear occupant.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-projection.jpg
The Logo projection is a cool blingy feature. But I think since they made this logo already, and also that this car is so important to Tata Motors, why not give the car a much deserving separate logo embossed key, something what Toyota did to Fortuner. The Nexon key looks little cheap on the Harrier.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-console.jpg
-The digital part is good, crisp to read, has good micro-interactions (small animations) and seamless integration with the infotainment screen, which is a big thumbs up! On the analog part, liked the needle's light treatment. Design attention is everywhere in this car. However, The entire combo console shape looks ugly to my eyes. Could have been made better.

- The front armrest is comfortable useless for someone my height (as most average Indians are. They should have made it a sliding one like the Verna.

First Drive impressions -

- Did slight offroading, and it came out with flying colors. The electronics are playing the magic here big time.

- Thick A-Pillar + Huge ORVM will take time getting used to.

- While the brakes have a good bite, the Brake+Suspension combination gave a spongy feeling as there is nose dive as well as a significant rise in sudden stop-accelerate situations. Will again take time getting used to.

- One noteworthy thing, I was accompanied by a friend of mine for the test drive. We drove in a similar style on the same road over same potholes, you get the picture. When he was driving and I was on the rear seat, could feel almost every pothole or broken patches on the rear seat, there were some evident thud sounds too on broken areas. Not the ones which toss you horizontally or vertically, but still the jerk was felt. When I took the driving seat, to my surprise there was no such feeling on the driver's seat, it is so comfortable! This however, wasn't the case when I test drove the Tigor or Hexa in similar fashion sometime back.

- Reverse Camera is outright poor to say the least. My opinions would stay the same even if the same camera is found on the Nano. Please Tata, be better here.

- The car has a good seating position, commanding view and visible bonnet ahead, but drives like a big and mature sedan. One needs to take care of its proportions while driving. While the Hexa drove like it was one size smaller, driving a Harrier feels like the opposite to some extent. The Compass felt more agile and eager to cut corners or change lanes maybe due to the size. In fact I have taken some sharp overtakes or turns in Compass I'll really be afraid to do those on the Harrier. Setting a driving style on the Harrier will take time getting used to.

- NVH levels are good but typical Multijet engine clatter is harsh and makes the otherwise plush cabin feeling uncomfortable.

- The clutch is super light but has a long travel range. Happened to stall the car twice at an incline. Hill start assist came in handy.

- The ABS appears to be calibrated bit on the lesser sensitive side. While it does work efficiently, kicks in on a little harder panic braking than say Figo or Ecosport or Compass or Rapid (cars I've driven extensively).

Despite being in different segments, comparison with Hexa does kick in, and one can't stop. I'd still prefer the Hexa over this one due to the solid and abuse friendly build, and the exemplary ride quality alone. Engine noise is better contained in the Hexa and the additional usable third row (or a bigger boot space)+availability of an automatic that makes it a sweeter deal, as the Harrier is anyway on the bigger size to be driven around in the city.

Nevertheless, I loved the Harrier for what it offers and the crazy looks inside out, and I might have bought one if I had 50 big ones in a pocket to buy, as one more car to the garage. If I only had 20 big ones, Hexa emerges as a clear winner for me.

This car MUST come in Black and Berry Red (From the Tiago and Tigor). These two shades alone will increase the sales of the car I believe.

Last edited by PrasunBannerjee : 11th April 2019 at 16:57.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 06:33   #3668
BANNED

I don't know if this is the right thread for posting this. Yesterday while watching the election news channels, I paused at BBC World News and was jolted by the news reader mentioning that JLR would be shutting its UK plant due to the current Brexit turmoil.
Also noting that PM May has got a conditional reprieve of 1 year to come up with a viable Brexit deal, how is this likely to affect TML-JLR's Indian operations?
Old 12th April 2019, 06:37   #3669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
.. was jolted by the news reader mentioning that JLR would be shutting its UK plant due to the current Brexit turmoil.
Not the right thread for this, but JLR likely to move production to EU instead.
Old 12th April 2019, 10:37   #3670
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I don't know if this is the right thread for posting this. Yesterday while watching the election news channels, I paused at BBC World News and was jolted by the news reader mentioning that JLR would be shutting its UK plant due to the current Brexit turmoil.
Also noting that PM May has got a conditional reprieve of 1 year to come up with a viable Brexit deal, how is this likely to affect TML-JLR's Indian operations?
They had made a scheduled shutdown to offset any shock during the planned Brexit on March 28th. That did not happen and it was too late to defer.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 12th April 2019 at 10:41.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 11:07   #3671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1867465

Move the XUV behind the mirror a bit to the left and ahead. The mirror is big enough to hide it, leave alone a human or a cow or a bike.
Bigger the mirrors the better, just give us blind spot cameras with a small screen near the mirror to show us what they hide.

Rahul
Old 12th April 2019, 11:37   #3672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Move the XUV behind the mirror a bit to the left and ahead. The mirror is big enough to hide it, leave alone a human or a cow or a bike.
Bigger the mirrors the better, just give us blind spot cameras with a small screen near the mirror to show us what they hide.

Rahul
Aren't blind spot cameras meant to show what's coming from behind you and not what is in front of the ORVM?

And ideally while coming to a road intersection to take a U-Turn, you would have ideally seen who all are coming from the right of the road towards the intersection from where you're taking a turn to avoid any last minute surprises.

Correct me if I'm wrong there! But that's how I avoid the huge blind spot created by my Nano's A-pillar and have never been in a tricky situation because of a blind spot in my field of view.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 13:07   #3673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
And ideally while coming to a road intersection to take a U-Turn, you would have ideally seen who all are coming from the right of the road towards the intersection from where you're taking a turn to avoid any last minute surprises.
Unless you are driving in Pune, where people usually drive more on the wrong side rather than on the correct side.

By the way have we received fresh car for review from Tata? When is the review coming out? Eagerly waiting to see what this one is capable of. Will be checking the car post reading the review here.

Last edited by malgudi : 12th April 2019 at 13:09. Reason: added comment.
Old 12th April 2019, 14:41   #3674
BHPian

Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread before, but any news on Harrier AT? Of course, I would love to see that with the top-most variant.
Old 12th April 2019, 15:06   #3675
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread before, but any news on Harrier AT?
Where have you been ? 50% of the 3500+ posts on this thread would have been on the Harrier A/T

To answer your query, this wont be happening till early next year or atleast till the 7 seater variant is out.
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks