Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2018, 14:26   #586
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Above the Hexa? All speculation so far has been that the 5 seater at least will be around the Creta/Compass price band and thus lower than the Hexa.

Checkout the on road price below, the hexa is lot cheaper than the Compass. There is no such thing as Creta/Compass

Pune on road price for top end variants

Creta - 18.37
Hexa - 21.94
Compass - 26.90

Tata can still place the harrier above hexa and keep it below compass. However if they place it above the Creta there is a strong possibility that it might not sell as much. Its too soon to tell we dont even know all the features yet. Its getting exciting

Last edited by sreejinair : 6th September 2018 at 14:34.
sreejinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 14:34   #587
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
'SPECULATION'......exactly!

I genuinely think there will be a lot of disappointed faces when the Harrier prices are announced. This is definitely not a 9-12 lac car, I think the Harrier's prices will be well north of 17 lacs!
Well neither is Creta a 9-12 lakhs car. Top end on road closes in on 18 Lakhs.

Nexon and Creta frankly belong to different segments.

Please dont mis understand me. I dont intend to say that Harrier will be priced lower than Creta. However I do expect it to under cut the Hexa slightly or at par. Top end Hexa itself is over 20 Lakhs on road. Which I guess could be the spot for Harrier Top end as well.

Where will the H7X be priced, if Harrier itself is at a premium to Hexa.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 14:36   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
Quoting a line from the source:

"Tata Harrier will be positioned above the Hexa and will be the company’s new flagship model."

Will this have any bearing on the price?
No way!

Harrier in its 5 seat avatar would be there to compete with Hyundai Creta and Jeep compass. It shall be positioned above Nexon, in my opinion.

Though I suspect the future of Hexa until we get a well thought update next year (Jan-Feb 2019), the 7 seater Harrier sibling would start a good 2-3 lakhs above, model to model compared to Hexa. Expect to see downward sales numbers for Hexa for sure (Morazzo, Harrier, refreshed XUV effect).
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 15:00   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

Where will the H7X be priced, if Harrier itself is at a premium to Hexa.
Top end XUV is 25+ on-road in Bangalore. I expect the H7X to cost a lakh or 2 more. Even at that price, it should be competitive (assuming it meets the quality, build and refinement standards) as all other SUV options from Japanese and Korean brands cost anywhere between 32 to 45 lakhs.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 15:26   #590
BHPian

Creta 1.6 Diesel starts at around 13.5L Ex-showroom, and Compass 2.0 Diesel starts 16.6L at Ex-showroom. So the start price should be between them.

Harrier is a segment above Creta INHO and belongs to Compass/Tucson Segment. It should definitely undercut Compass as it uses a slightly detuned version of the same engine. I would like to believe to be launched at 14L for the base model.

Hexa starts at around 12.5L and goes upto 18L Ex-showroom. So it is kind of given that Harrier would be priced slightly above Hexa.
rish_arora is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 16:19   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Top end XUV is 25+ on-road in Bangalore. I expect the H7X to cost a lakh or 2 more. Even at that price, it should be competitive (assuming it meets the quality, build and refinement standards) as all other SUV options from Japanese and Korean brands cost anywhere between 32 to 45 lakhs.
Tata had indeed launched a very capable crossover a few months before the XUV 500 but with a more premium price. The Aria and its restyled avatar the Hexa even with mechanical updates, phenomenal capabilities are still lagging in sales. Tata hopefully has learnt the lesson from that and will price the H7X competitively (understanding that brand value and premium pricing go hand in hand).

The Japanese brand which sells has created the brand value over decades starting from the venerable Qualis with no duds in this long period. The Koreans have not enjoyed much success north of Rs 20 lakhs.

As for Mahindra in the SUV segment they too have a continuous history of superhit SUVs which helped them build their brand.

For Tata it has been a journey with a lot of ups and downs the latest from which they are just recovering. Hence it will not help their cause to price these two wonderful machines at par or premium to comparable offerings from reigning brands.

Challengers need to do better at all aspects from the competition and pricing is no exception. My take 15 lakh for the Harrier and a ceiling of 20 lakh for the H7X will ensure success. Anything above is in serious danger of repeating an Aria.

Another example is the Pulsar of 2002 where the top end Pulsar 180 with disc brakes and the bells and whistles was priced at par with the CBZ 150 to create history in Indian motorcycling. Wish Tata could do that with a Harrier/H7X combo.

Having seen Tata SUVs from the Sierra days and having owned a Safari I really wish they come up with a winner. So please Tata please do not forget the brilliance in the pricing and service aspects too.
nainan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 18:43   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
Tata had indeed launched a very capable crossover a few months before the XUV 500 but with a more premium price. The Aria and its restyled avatar the Hexa even with mechanical updates, phenomenal capabilities are still lagging in sales. Tata hopefully has learnt the lesson from that and will price the H7X competitively (understanding that brand value and premium pricing go hand in hand).
In my view there are reasons for the lukewarm success of Hexa and I had predicted such response.
  1. In India (probably the world over), stereotypes work. People either want a minivan/MPV (Innova) or SUV (XUV, Scorpio.....) There are few takers for a crossover which may be more practical (best of both worlds)
  2. Few features like sunroof, bigger display for the top of he line model would have helped
  3. Aria legacy (which was somewhat apparent)

Now with the H5X/H7X, looks like they have a vehicle which will not be mistaken for anything but an SUV. If the cars have the right features/specifications and buyers believe that they are buying a kind of poor man's LandRover (Tata needs to project this aspect, This will play a big role in the image makeover), I think it will sell well. Actually creating a sub brand (like Nexia) can really help.
I myself was not happy with the Hexa (liked the Nexon expect the rear) but eagerly looking forward to the H5X/H7X.
Guna is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 20:35   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
In my view there are reasons for the lukewarm success of Hexa and I had predicted such response.
  1. In India (probably the world over), stereotypes work. People either want a minivan/MPV (Innova) or SUV (XUV, Scorpio.....) There are few takers for a crossover which may be more practical (best of both worlds)
  2. Few features like sunroof, bigger display for the top of he line model would have helped
  3. Aria legacy (which was somewhat apparent)
It was the Aria I was talking about. The XUV too is a crossover in the real sense and was marketed as such. At launch which was within a year of the Aria the XUV was 1.7 to 3 lakhs cheaper by variant and the pricing was a big factor.

Mahindra XUV500 vs Tata Aria vs Toyota Innova

7 reasons why the Mahindra XUV 500 will be a tough competitor for premium SUVs

So I believe pricing will be very crucial considering XUV rules the 7 seat market and will be the most direct competition.

Similarly for the 5 seater since Compass sales are on the down trend and the Creta will be the obvious competitor pricing will be super key. The Tucson sales are too little for it to matter.
nainan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 10:39   #594
Senior - BHPian

Why is there a sentiment to "SAVE" the Hexa?

The Hexa has not been the stellar performer for Tata so far. If the Harrier has the (obvious) potential to sell many times over than Hexa, then so be it.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 13:50   #595
BHPian

ok just found this compass sunroof article on rushlane, an increase in creta and xuv500 sales after the addition of sunroof

are you listening TATA

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/jeep-co...-12273225.html
sreejinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 12:24   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Checkout the on road price below, the hexa is lot cheaper than the Compass. There is no such thing as Creta/Compass

Pune on road price for top end variants

Creta - 18.37
Hexa - 21.94
Compass - 26.90

Tata can still place the harrier above hexa and keep it below compass. However if they place it above the Creta there is a strong possibility that it might not sell as much. Its too soon to tell we dont even know all the features yet. Its getting exciting
If priced anywhere close to Compass, I'll pick up Compass anyday. At around 15-20 lakh ex showroom, I'll extend by budget by 1-2 lakh and get proven compass.

I am actually waiting for harrier to be my next car but the price is important. We all saw how hexa was premium and deserved the price but we also saw the numbers did get affected. So, its not only that the product has to be good but also that the price needs to be considered practically.
Practically, I think we have new XUV, proven compass, highly in demand Creta, so the pricing will be important.

Gathering momentum and good positioning initially is very important as that determines the future. Its very rare that a product which starts good, becomes weak after 2-3 years. And the vice versa is also true, if the product is premium but slow at the start, its future most of the times is weak.
turbo_delight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 13:14   #597
BHPian

The Tata Harrier has been spied in Bangalore as reported by Rushlane.
The spied Harrier seems to be sporting the Red colour under the camo with blacked out A pillar, similar to the Jeep Compass.

While Rishlane mentions Creep function being added to the AT variant, the AT variant itself has not been sighted yet. Below pics seem to be of the manual

Source : https://www.rushlane.com/amp/tata-ha...-12280808.html
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharriertestingbangaloretrafficjamacheat3600x337.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharriertestingbangaloretrafficjamacheat2600x338.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharriertestingbangaloretrafficjamacheat4600x338.jpg  

Last edited by uday.ere : 9th September 2018 at 13:16.
uday.ere is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 18:04   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
ok just found this compass sunroof article on rushlane, an increase in creta and xuv500 sales after the addition of sunroof

are you listening TATA...
I remember someone tweeting on a similar detail and TATA's head of design - Pratap Bose acknowledge it as a good insight to have. Guess this was around Nexon's launch - pretty sure Pratap now knows what could be a differentiating feature in the segment.
swiftnfurious is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 22:25   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post

While Rishlane mentions Creep function being added to the AT variant,
Isn't that a basic expectation? I don't know how this is a new s for Rushlane! Kwid AMT was probably the last AT/AMT without creep function and now even Kwid gets that feature. Torque Converters have the creep function by default.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 04:12   #600
BHPian

An extremely interesting discussion seems to be going on in the forum regarding the positioning of the Harrier.

I feel Tata will soon discontinue the Safari Storme as it has an extremely limited sales now and has become an old vehicle.

Also, there are no concrete news regarding the launch of the next generation Safari. Please correct me if I'm wrong in this aspect.

Hence, I have multiple view points, either the price of Hexa will be slashed and it will take the Safari's position just above Nexon with a change in equipment list and overall nomenclature positioning the Harrier twins as a premium offering.

Another way to see this, Harrier's five seater version might take the place of the Safari Storme as already the base LX 4x2 trim retails at around the 13 Lakh mark which seems to be a pretty good price for the mid variant of Harrier. Furthermore, the top end Safari almost touches the 19 Lakh mark which is way too overpriced for such an old vehicle hence Harrier's top end should retail at around 18 - 18.5 Lakhs under cutting the Hexa which retails at around 20 Lakhs for the XT variant. This way they will also have enough scope to price the Harrier 7 Seat version a little higher.

Also, as I said earlier, Tata might just play with Hexa's nomenclature and also decrease the price by a little removing a few variants, giving the Harrier 7 Seater an opportunity to play the sales game a little better being the most modern from Tata's portfolio.

Overall, Tata's ideal line up in my opinion would be Nexon, Harrier 5 seater, Hexa, Harrier 7 Seater.
YashD is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks