Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2018, 22:25   #766
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Harrier can easily target 20% of all customers buying the Top end Creta, City, Entry & mid level variants of XUV500, and that itself is a big volume right there.

And secondly, all folks driving a City or a similar C segment sedan are all looking to upgrade and there are no cars in the 15-20 Lakh territory except the Creta and the XUV. So this is another customer base to tap in to.
I expect TML would price Harrier overlapping mid variant of Creta to top end of XUV500 range.
So, I would expect that Harrier would eat up sales from both Creta and XUV500 across the variants from mid to top end of Creta to top end of XUV500. Top end of Creta is just ridiculous in its pricing and absolutely no value for money.

Talking of "upgrade from Honda City", its an observation that's spot on!
While I was looking for an AT, I did get a test ride of Creta AT and to me, its just worthless for its price. There is absolutely no seating comfort on rear and nothing great to speak about the overall cabin space. XUV500 was an option, but didn't feel paying that much for that cheaper design [may be, my taste is bad] inside out.

TML have a good track record on providing driver and passenger comfort and I am sure, they would continue with their new SUV, Harrier as well.

I am definitely, looking forward to its launch!
Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 22:34   #767
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
Looks like it's just drum brakes at the rear - while it's a segment norm, would have been nice if TATA had provided rear disc brakes as well - but then, everything adds to the cost.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd October 2018 at 22:36.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 08:37   #768
srh
BHPian

Looking at the underbody, that seems like a monocoque

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd October 2018 at 08:55. Reason: Removing embedded video from quoted post.
Old 3rd October 2018, 09:56   #769
BHPian

It is refreshing to see a manufacturer focus on the vehicle during the teasers rather than on some gimmicky stylised video of the car in foreign locales along with some celebrity or model. All these little teasers clearly target the fence sitters who like what they saw in the expo but have reservations ( often justified by their past experiences) with regards to TATA as a brand. I am one of them and I am loving these nuggets of info TATA is presenting. I get the sense they are very confident of this product. In the past I always got the feeling that their new launches are good but I should wait for the next iteration. This time though, the anticipation is unprecedented. This is it. It just feels right.

Last edited by chittybang : 3rd October 2018 at 09:57. Reason: spellcheck
chittybang is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:31   #770
Senior - BHPian

I think the beauty in these teaser videos is that they are not dragged on, but are cut crisp to half a minute. They also speak about only one thing at a time. That makes it easy to remember.

Last edited by navin : 3rd October 2018 at 14:20. Reason: typos
discoverwild is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 14:58   #771
BHPian

Tata Harrier to be unveiled in 1st or 2nd week of November. Media Drives followed in Mid-November. Deliveries would begin in January.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:37   #772
BHPian

Today's tidbit on Harrier

uday.ere is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:46   #773
BHPian

@Uday.ere thanks for sharing the video.

It actually does not show how much standing water is there in the trench. Looks like it could be any where from a foot of standing water to 18 inches
sreedotk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 17:20   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
@Uday.ere thanks for sharing the video.

It actually does not show how much standing water is there in the trench. Looks like it could be any where from a foot of standing water to 18 inches
Looks like you are correct. That is around 18" max.
Old 3rd October 2018, 18:29   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
Looks like it could be any where from a foot of standing water to 18 inches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
That is around 18" max.
Agree, I dont think it is more than 15" to 18".

Now am looking forward to a teaser on the capabilities of an AWD equipped Harrier.

Cheers,
Uday
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 18:41   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
If its bigger than Compass, even slightly, it will be really a challenge for Tata to price it.
It is definitely (minimum) a size bigger than the Compass. It has awesome road presence which is in my opinion a big positive over the Cretas of the world.

I don't think the Compass is as much in the sights for Tata as the Creta and possibly XUV. Though we will eventually see a lot of cross segment movement considering the expected value that the Harrier will offer.

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd October 2018 at 18:42.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 18:49   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I expect TML would price Harrier overlapping mid variant of Creta to top end of XUV500 range.
So, I would expect that Harrier would eat up sales from both Creta and XUV500 across the variants from mid to top end of Creta to top end of XUV500. Top end of Creta is just ridiculous in its pricing and absolutely no value for money.

I am definitely, looking forward to its launch!
Prem.
A lot of people in A category cities still have a mind block for buying Tata cars as compared to Hyundai, Honda or even Maruti, because of maintenance and reliability issues. Infact most don't even consider a Tata product while making a decision. Which is why I don't think Harrier is going to impact Creta sales as much.
Tata has some really nice cars in its portfolio now but none of them are really selling as well as they had hoped. This mindset will change because of the excellent design engineering on offer now, but it will take time.

IMHO - Tata should really consider putting a "Engineered with Land Rover Technology"' tagline in its advts for the Harrier to bring in top end buyers.

Last edited by manishk123 : 3rd October 2018 at 18:51. Reason: spelling
manishk123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 20:17   #778
Distinguished - BHPian

When a single image leaves a lasting impression.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-fb_img_1538577870019.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 20:30   #779
BHPian

Quote:

Prem.
Direct competition with XUV will not be what they should be targeting.
If you see smaller cities, they are the ones which will contribute to most of the XUV sales and not cities like bangalore. I mean the ratio of sales.

And in typical smaller cities, its always the theory that bigger is always better. I don't think Jeep will be selling in huge number in smaller cities.

So, if Tata or any car maker want sales numbers to be high, it'll be typically the new buyers from smaller cities.

If moderate sales numbers, then even existing car owners can be their new customers but that typically will be big cities.

In India, Vehicle size does a play a role in buying or upgrading.
Old 3rd October 2018, 20:37   #780
BHPian

Quote:
We need to keep in mind that they have to price the 7 seater as well a few months down the line. If this is the pricing band for 5X and it does not do well for some reason then even 7X will be dead on arrival since 7X will then have to be priced over XUV.And we all know what happened with Hexa when it was priced alongside XUV.

So i think they will proceed cautiously (priced slightly below Creta) on pricing to see response for 5X as they can always increase price by adding more features later on. And this gives them room to price 7X appropriately later on
JKBKS is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed