Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2018, 17:20   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
If this is the real pricing it seems too aggressive and even if the get some initial movement(which too I doubt) demand will decline like the Compass. My prediction of demand is between 1000-2000 cars in steady state.

There is a bit of disbelief as I had thought they mastered the art of pricing it right after the Aria debacle. The first reaction in the comment section at Autocar says it all.
IMO, the expectations among prospective customers about he Harrier's pricing were a bit unrealistic from the start. Folks, this is not a modified hatchback with raised height and modified body shell. This is based on a true blue SUV platform from Land Rover. Plus the large capacity engine is being sourced from Fiat and the auto transmission from Hyundai. The import content is likely to be on the higher side therefore and with the rupee depreciating like crazy, there was no way an ex-showroom pricing of 12-15 lakhs was achievable

The car looks classy from the outside and I am pretty sure TATA would have gone for even more premium interiors than the HEXA. What I like most is they seem to have resisted the temptation to stuff the outside with garish cuts and gashes like Mahindra seems to do to "spice up" and "Indianize" its otherwise nicely designed vehicle shapes.

The HEXA is an old indegenized platform where a lot of the tools and machinery to make the underlying components would have been depreciated over time and the import content is very low, making it possible for TATA to offer such a competitive pricing. Whereas, the investment required to build a car on a brand new world class platform is going to be quite high.

Overall I think this will be an excellent value product and I just hope they offer the 4X4 Auto in Diesel. However, this may turn out to be impossible. While doing some research on the Hyundai 6-speed auto transmissions, the only one I could find was a front wheel drive automatic (Powertech 6F24). If so, we may only get a 2WD auto variant. I hope I am proved wrong.

http://www.powertech.co.kr/en/product/introduce.do

If all they wanted was a 2Wd Auto, I wonder why TATA went to Hyundai for a 2WD Auto tranmission, they could have gone with the wonderful French Punch Powerglide 2WD Auto from the HEXA)

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 13th October 2018 at 17:34.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 17:21   #872
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
If this is the real pricing it seems too aggressive and even if the get some initial movement(which too I doubt) demand will decline like the Compass. My prediction of demand is between 1000-2000 cars in steady state.

There is a bit of disbelief as I had thought they mastered the art of pricing it right after the Aria debacle. The first reaction in the comment section at Autocar says it all.
After driving the Hexa for almost 300Km, I would disagree that the price is too high. At 13.5 lac, its a lac more than the Hexa "Aria". If its base variant has more safety kit than the Creta, there will be takers "Including me"

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2018 at 09:03. Reason: Poorly typed post
Brishti is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th October 2018, 17:33   #873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
[b]SCOOP!
Will be positioned between Hyundai Creta & Jeep Compass.
That's a real sweet spot for Harrier. Most of us saying the same for some time now
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 17:34   #874
BHPian

I am stuck in a dilemma regarding the Hexa and the Harrier. I have decided that I will put in the booking amount for the Harrier, and once it is revealed, then I can decide which one to go for! The Hexa has an amazing driving position and ride, and is extremely spacious. But the Harrier is an enticing prospect! Only 3 months to go, so no harm in waiting that long. Just maybe, if Tata Motors adds some more features to the Hexa (auto start-stop etc), then it will make the Hexa even better! Till then, I will think of buying a Tiago AMT for the Missus!

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2018 at 10:20. Reason: Filling in the blanks - please type your post out fully & properly
Old 13th October 2018, 17:35   #875
BHPian

Land Rover derived is the key operative phrase. I am sure, if the sticker was that of LR and the price was an additional 10L, no one would have an issue and there would be a huge queue at the booking counter.

Hope TATA comes up with NEXA like premium showrooms and dedicate service centers for these new wheels (and upcoming launches). Also hope that they offer a 5/7 year warranty and 6 Airbags as a minimum.

Eagerly waiting for additional details and trying not to get disappointed with the leaked pricing.

Last edited by sprocket : 13th October 2018 at 17:36.
sprocket is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 18:30   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Well; A lot depends on equipment on offer, and the associated price point.

If 16L OTR has all the basics covered ( say Compass Sport type) plus top safety kit like a minimum of 6 airbags, then it won't seem bad. And if a 4x4 auto is on offer at 21L OTR, I guess there would be takers. I feel TATA is just testing waters with how high they can go, price wise. In my opinion, this is the highest they can price the Harrier at, but again depends on kit on offer. Whether to go for high margin or high volume might be TATAs conundrum. But, at the same time they would be hoping to get both .

Now this means the H7X will sit between XUV and Compass depending on how overall sales pan out at that time. If Harrier sells well, expect them to play the premium card on the H7X.

I just hope TATA lets go; the annoying habit of releasing variants at intervals and launch all basic variants ( MT/ AT/ AWD) in one go. Just imagine all this hype and then no AT/AWD on launch

Last edited by ampere : 14th October 2018 at 01:17. Reason: Typos fixed
400notout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 18:45   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Whether to go for high margin or high volume might be TATAs conundrum right now at the same time hoping to get both .
My analysis(shared earlier says volume figures pretty high.

Quote:
Now this means the H7X will sit between XUV and Compass depending on how overall sales are at that time. And Harrier sells well, expect them to play the premium card on the H7X.
I have started feeling the H7X is an urban myth. Tata's seem to be continuing the too little too late 7 seater tradition of the Safari here too. By the time the lumbering 7 seater comes around we will have the 7 seater Creta, new Scorpio, XUV 700, a new XUV 500 and of course the Jeep 7 seater already carving up territory between them.

I suspect they plan to launch it after 2020 in an electric only avatar. At that size it should dure be able to lug a round a lot of fuel(read batteries)

By the by to kill time they have launched the Storme with 17 inch wheels and added a variant to Hexa which suggests the 7 seater is nowhere on the horizon.

Last edited by theMAG : 13th October 2018 at 20:21. Reason: Punctuation error fixed.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 20:18   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, the prices are pure speculation. And even if it is true, you need to look at what the competition is priced at. Just for reference, the Creta 1.6 Diesel SX variant which is the entry level model of the 1.6 Diesel engine is round about 16.5 Lakhs on road in Bangalore. Its got basic equipment for the price, but nothing phenomenal as such. So even if the base Harrier lands somewhere here, say 16-17 Lakhs on road, with similar levels of equipment, then would it not be a better deal?

Where the Creta has an advantage is the entry level variants. The Creta starts as low as 11 Lakhs on road, and a lot of folks buy the entry level variants and just load them with Alloys and HU and end up with a car for less than 13 Lakhs overall. I do not know the sales split of the variants in the Creta, but just judging by what you see on the road, at least 30% must be of the entry level E and E+ variants. So this is where the Harrier loses out, at least from a value perception point of view.
motorworks is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 20:59   #879
BHPian

Quote:
My analysis(shared earlier says volume figures pretty high.

I have started feeling the H7X is an urban myth.
Lol. Don't lose hope. Like mentioned before by an insider (posts were deleted later) like the Harrier,the H7X would go through the concept-testing-launch process too. My guess is, once the Harrier is on sale (early 2019), expect test mule sightings of H7X, followed by the launch of the 45X hatch (late 2019). A concept or pre production H7X to be showcased (auto expo 2020?) Followed by launch mid / late 2020. A very optimistic expectation would be an auto expo launch. The pricing would be dependent on TATAs position then.
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 21:08   #880
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Saraspathi Devi for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
There has been a discussion on the Harrier thread about the position of the front indicators. I have seen a YouTube video showing the same.

Attached below is a screengrab from the video. Please share this with other members on the group.

Full credit to the owner of the video : "Night Howler Tech Gaming"
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_201810131537111.png
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 22:07   #881
Senior - BHPian

A few snaps of the Tata Harrier shot today and a couple of videos.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrierpune4.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrierpune3.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrierpune2.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrierpune1.jpg

The photos and videos were taken by my son who was riding as a pillion on my bike.

I added the Team-BHP logo as a watermark in the images.

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2018 at 10:22. Reason: typo
pjbiju is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 22:47   #882
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the Harrier in the videos and the relative size to the vehicles around, car seems to be about the size of a Duster/Torreno. May be little longer (10-15 cm) I like the shorter height and the planted feel of such cars but those who prefer the car to have more imposing size may be disappointed as this car will be dwarfed by the likes of XUV500.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 23:23   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata Harrier diesel automatic spied for the first time!
The harrier is indeed being equipped with Hyundai sourced 6 speed auto which does the duty on Tucson.

The next upgrade on Tucson scheduled for 2019 uses a 8 speed gearbox that's why they gave it to Tata to generate residual revenue, mahindra and tata play in a segment where in-house auto gearbox development is deemed unnecessary. It's all mix and match job to present a decent product considering market expectations. Hyundai skoda ford have launched global products that make Indian offering look rather less than stellar, even honda crv diesel at 39 Lacs for 119 bhp is nothing short for sick joke.

TATA have the in-house tech to present a global SUV, maybe it's time for creation of a brand use it something on the lines on nexa, albeit with competent products and not tin can jugad.

Case in point nexon with actual cvt or tc......

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th October 2018 at 23:46. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 13th October 2018, 23:47   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
A few snaps of the Tata Harrier
The photos and videos were taken by my son who was riding as a pillion.
Good one pjbiju and thanks to your son for the super duper camera work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yay! I was right after all. The DRLs do double up as indicators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
those who prefer the car to have more imposing size may be disappointed as this car will be dwarfed by the likes of XUV500.
I think the Harrier will be able to hold its own in terms of road presence. Size wise also it's not way off as can be seen in the pics from this post.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4461035

Cheers
Uday
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharriersuvspotted11536912126.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tata45xpremiumhatchbackspotted21536912114.jpg  

Last edited by uday.ere : 13th October 2018 at 23:52.
uday.ere is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 06:24   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
but those who prefer the car to have more imposing size may be disappointed as this car will be dwarfed by the likes of XUV500.
Here is size comparison between the two;
XUV - 4585 x 1890 x 1785
HARRIER - 4575 x 1960 x 1686

Length is almost same, Harrier is wider than XUV by 70 mm, and XUV stand taller by 99 mm.
Latheesh is online now   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks