Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2018, 03:03   #991
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac View Post
I think we should take this supposed 16 base price with a pinch of salt. After all Tata hasn't come out with their official pricing yet and I'm quite certain that the dealerships get to know of the pricing only towards the last hours of the launch since it's the best kept secret for any new hot launch.
The probable pricing of 16-21 lakhs OTR is mentioned in the official tweet itself (posted in the last page). What is surprising is the mention of OTR rather than ex showroom. Also, as a couple of people have already mentioned - this doesn't leave any room for price corrections based on initial feedback. They could have kept the pricing a surprise (with vague prices to gauge feedback), or launched it with an official price list directly instead of this neither here nor there tweet.

I'm not sure if the pricing is right, assuming it is 14-19 ex showroom, probably it is over priced by 60k to a lakh. They could have gone with an introductory pricing and increased it slowly. But I'm sure they have done their market research.

Also, if anyone at TML is reading - please do not delete features from the Harrier in the guise of rationalization a few months after the rollout, like what has been done to the Nexon, Tiago and the Hexa. It's an insult to the customer who'd rather pay a bit more to have a complete package!

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 17th October 2018 at 03:05.
digitalnirvana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 06:51   #992
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Confirmed by there FB account as well. If they officially say this, I bet the launch price will be a Lakh lower. That brings it approximately to 13L-18L ex showroom?
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20181017_065158.jpg

Also someone above said Tata should have launched something in creta segment because that's where people have spending power. What if tata is able to create a whole new segment by itself for getting a much larger vehicle for little more money than Creta?

Last edited by akshay380 : 17th October 2018 at 06:52.
akshay380 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 07:37   #993
BHPian

I think the proposed pricing of 16-21L (OTR) is very good for a vehicle of Tucson's size and with a 2.0L diesel, if it is for Karnataka which has high road tax. This is not very far from Creta which is touching 19L in Bangalore.
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 07:51   #994
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
I think the proposed pricing of 16-21L (OTR) is very good for a vehicle of Tucson's size and with a 2.0L diesel, if it is for Karnataka which has high road tax. This is not very far from Creta which is touching 19L in Bangalore.
Wishful thinking but I guess most prices shared are Delhi/Mumbai OTR prices. So expect the gap from Creta to be maintained.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 07:52   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Also, if anyone at TML is reading - please do not delete features from the Harrier in the guise of rationalization a few months after the rollout, like what has been done to the Nexon, Tiago and the Hexa. It's an insult to the customer who'd rather pay a bit more to have a complete package!
With earlier launches, Tata Motors has generally expected their first batch of customers/ owners to do the 'beta testing' for their cars. Based on their feedback, they made some changes/ improvements. Normally this should be done inhouse before the launch, but perhaps they did not have the expertise so they outsourced it to their customers.

I hope they have learnt from that and bring a fully baked product on to the table. It seems with the Tiago and Hexa they have put these days behind them. Considering their recent approach to sales, it seems they are have also worked on that. Now the only thing they need to really fix is their service centres and dealer attitudes.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 07:59   #996
BHPian

The problem with Tata is the engine refinement and gear box are too bland. Haven't tried the Hexa but most of the other Tata equipment has poor engine refinement and gear box. Plus diesels tend to become noisy after 50-100K kms (depending on usage and upkeep).
Old 17th October 2018, 09:42   #997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldeodhar View Post
The problem with Tata is the engine refinement and gear box are too bland. Haven't tried the Hexa but most of the other Tata equipment has poor engine refinement and gear box. Plus diesels tend to become noisy after 50-100K kms (depending on usage and upkeep).
In case of Harrier, the engine is of Fiat and automatic transmission is borrowed from Hyundai. But yes, we need to see how they've tuned this up. The 1.3 MJD was better tuned by Suzuki than Tata for its earlier cars. I hope Tata manages a good bonding between the engine and both transmission options.

It seems the passenger vehicle department of Tata Motors is very happy with the kind of response they've got for Harrier. Somewhere I feel that Tata might shock everyone with an introductory price hitting right onto Creta and then slowly raise prices as per demand.
Old 17th October 2018, 09:42   #998
Senior - BHPian

Guys is there a possibility that the top end comes with a different engine tune? Probably 170 bhp?

That for 21 lakhs does not seem too bad.

Leaked pricing is slightly above what I expected, but that can be offset by ensuring they provide good levels of equipment on all variants.

Edit: Or possibly since you can configure your variant, you can also pick and select the engine tune and power train along with other optional blocks for all variants?

Last edited by vibbs : 17th October 2018 at 09:58.
Old 17th October 2018, 10:04   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Confirmed by there FB account as well. If they officially say this, I bet the launch price will be a Lakh lower. That brings it approximately to 13L-18L ex showroom?

Attachment 1808771

Also someone above said Tata should have launched something in creta segment because that's where people have spending power. What if tata is able to create a whole new segment by itself for getting a much larger vehicle for little more money than Creta?

OT but did that guy just say we're middle class and can *only* afford above creta and below Compass! I want to be that middle class too!

Coming back to topic, I'm pretty sure the car is worth the 20 lakh top end TATA wants for it but I still have my doubts on how well this will sell. Are people spending 20lakhs willing to go for the TATA brand? The hexa is about the same and hardly sells relative to other brands. TATA really should've stayed in the segment just above the Nexon for a couple of years more. All my personal opinion, I'm going to be putting in the booking amount myself but not very sure if ill go for it finally.
sharninder is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 10:57   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Its very surprising that there is hardly anyone to give Creta a competition. Creta segment is where all the money is, not in the Compass segment.

I’m not saying Harrier should be priced low. Tata could have come up with a competitor to Creta and then worked its way up.
Here is a way to look at it:
  • Why enter into a fight with a competitor (Creta) where your opponent is clearly strong (has already "Dusted" the Duster right?) in it's game?
  • Why not play a NEW GAME with NEW RULES (price range), where there are NO COMPETITION?
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 10:57   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Coming back to topic, I'm pretty sure the car is worth the 20 lakh top end TATA wants for it but I still have my doubts on how well this will sell. Are people spending 20lakhs willing to go for the TATA brand?
I have been following this thread closely and must say the pricing, if true, is a little disappointing. The XUV, and even the Hexa for that matter suddenly looks a lot more value for money considering the discounts being offered.

IMHO, the harrier's top end diesel automatic should be priced onroad for 18L for it to sell.
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 11:30   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Its really unfair for Tata that everyone wants it cheaper.

How a company needs to struggle against perceptions :( Tata should bite the bullet, be ready for lower margins but establish a name for itself. Maruti, Hyundai all have done it and reaping the benefits.

If Tata thinks they are going to create a new segment above Creta, its risky. They did that with Hexa giving a MUV/SUV and contrary to what others think, they failed. You just need to look at the numbers that Innova does with the lofty pricing. If people thought it was good it should be selling higher numbers. Its neither here not there. Or maybe we dont have many people who need that. This will fall in the same category.
Old 17th October 2018, 11:34   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
I did mention it has been good for a major part.
In the automotive world, major might equal 90 or more percent. But, in the owners group, more than half of the active members face some issue or the other.

Quote:
Niggles have become a part of almost every car sold in the market today, affecting all manufacturers. So, it's not just Tata.
We have had cars from all kinds of makes at our garage till now, and Tata is the only one with issues even before I have taken the keys from the maker!

Quote:
The Vista is my 6th Tata and has had its share of annoyances. One major issue is at cold start where the fuel pump doesn't start at ignition. I need to switch on and off a couple of times before I hear the gurgle of fuel. The ill-fitting beadings on the roof have been like that from day 1. The beige fabric is a real pain to maintain. But at 7 years, 136000 kms, 15 kmpl in city, tyres lasting 50-55k, clutch lasting 106k, I have little else to complain.
Glad to know that your car is doing well , but even such small issues are not present in some of the brands. Maruti sells more Swifts than all of the models combined sold by most of the car makers. But, issues are far less and service is taken seriously.

About FNG, I believe that we pay for the car and the infrastructure to service it. Not everyone has the time to leave their car at a private garage and keep track of things.

Quote:
I hope someone at Tata figures out the issue you are facing. As for sales and service, I haven't entered the showroom since I bought the car and have a FNG to cater to my needs.
The issue is not just faced by me. I can even give plenty of common issues that everyone faces all the time! So many of them (including me) couldn't open the fuel lid after just a few weeks of delivery. Imagine the embarrassment I faced when my new car, full of friends, refused to open its lid for fill up at the fuel station!

P.S: I am not trying to derame Tata here. I read too many overly positive reviews online, which lead to my purchase and I don't want that to happen to anyone. Let's give the customers a clear picture of what they are getting into.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd October 2018 at 05:43. Reason: Punctuation, typos
giri1.8 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 11:39   #1004
BHPian

If the top end Harrier is going to cost 21 lakh onroad, then the top end 7 seater version will cost nothing less than 25-26. Now, that is going to be serious money and Tata will have to really get their act together to make it a success.

There are times when i think the 7 seater is a mirage. I hope Tata clears the air on it and, if true, also the expected time-frame.

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 17th October 2018 at 11:41.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 11:51   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Nice gimmick there by TATA.

So basically, by declaring (unofficially) 16-21, they are setting a certain idea on the prospective customer's mind. But I am more than sure that when released, it would be around 12/13L (ex-showroom) for the base variant, thereby making everyone feel it's lesser than expected and hence, a good VFM.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd October 2018 at 05:45. Reason: Punctuation added
SoumenD is online now   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed