Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2018, 10:55   #1231
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

I like the rear and the sides. Very classy and elegant. Front seems a bit overworked:
  • There are one too many sections for lamps - The headlamps, Fog lamps and DRLS appear to be all distinct and this makes it look too busy and a bit pimped up. DRL could have been better integrated to make it a single cluster.
  • The front plastic grill work is alos too busy. Three distinct sections, with all the ripples in the black plastic on the main grill. The last part looks especially cheapo, makes it look like a 5 lac "Tiago finish" - compared the rest of the vehicle, which is so elegant and posh looking. Could have gone easy here with all the undulations in the plastic or sprinkled a bit of chrome like the diamond grill in the Merc A-Class. Would have made the vehicle look more classy.

The wheel arches look massive and hopefully the Harrier comes with 18 inch wheels in all trims, smaller rims in cheaper variants would look ugly.

Especially like the way the rear tail lamps merge into the side of the body and converge into a character line running across the side. However, the line seems to stop abruptly near the front of the vehicle and disconnected to the front completely.

Overall, excellent looking vehicle except for the overly busy front. I am sure after-market mods will be available to make the grill look a bit less cluttered.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 12:10   #1232
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Yes the front looks too busy, did not like it at all and yes out of all the colors it just may look better in black, specially the front. I dont think the after market fittings will help a lot. Checkout the soon to be announced Fiat Toro concept, interesting front design.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-fiattorosuvindialaunch450x300.jpg  

Last edited by sreejinair : 31st October 2018 at 12:12.
Old 31st October 2018, 12:38   #1233
BHPian

As they say aesthetics are very subjective. I for one love the front treatment as its quite unique, looks muscular and differentiated. The DRL looks chic ironman in the daytime ( from the mules) and once the headlamps are lit add a menacing set of brows to give an aggressive fascia.

My 2 sore points are the blended C&D pillar look being discarded and that ugly cut that runs below the taillights on which the number plat is mounted behind(in my imagination looks like somebody pulled the Harriers pants down).

My grouse is less with rim size and more with overall tire size as they look a bit small at 29".

Lastly on pricing and positioning I think pricing it near 7 seater territory will be a mistake that both the Tucson and Compass are paying for. So much so that the next gen Tucson Hyundai is contemplating only as a 7 seater.

Also that leaves very little room to maneuver on the 7 seater's pricing considering that given that Mahindra will have a first mover advantage with a more powerful loaded to the brim car and Hyundai coming up with 2 7 seaters the H7X will have a tough job ahead convincing a customer to bet their money on it.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 13:12   #1234
BHPian

The opinions seem to be divided with regards to the looks of the Harrier with the majority being a little disappointed at the end result. I think I belong to the minority, I feel Tata has done a commendable job to stay true to the H5X concept.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrier_before.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrier_after.jpg

Sure, the wheels could've been black and a size bigger but apart from that I honestly don't see where it is deviating from the original. I feel the pictures aren't doing justice, it will surely be a head turner in person.

Talking about the designs staying true to the concepts, here are a few before and after pictures of some of the successful models -

Brezza -

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-brezza_before.jpg
Before

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-brezza_after.jpg
After

Duster -

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-duster_before.jpg
Before

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-duster_after.jpg
After

Kwid -

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-kwid_before.jpg
Before

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-kwid_after.jpg
After

Santro -

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-santro_before.jpg
Before

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-santro_after.jpg
After

Looking at the above, I feel we should give due credit to Tata and not nitpick.
Porschefire is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 13:30   #1235
BANNED

Here is Tata Harrier first look video from AutoCar India.

Last edited by pavi : 31st October 2018 at 13:36.
Old 31st October 2018, 13:39   #1236
BHPian

Doesn't the Harrier face a rip off the Santa Fe as shown in this site?
https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...vour-22683.htm
Old 31st October 2018, 13:55   #1237
BHPian

Considering the revival of Tata Sierra (Brand) - I have a feeling that the 7 seater version of Harrier or H5x could be named as Sierra.

Link
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...gn-tata-410273
FIAT3031 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 13:56   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Doesn't the Harrier face a rip off the Santa Fe as shown in this site?
https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...vour-22683.htm
I so wish it was, but its not. To be honest I now like the harrier better in the camouflage. But thats only for the front everything else looks great.
Old 31st October 2018, 13:58   #1239
BHPian

Quick photoshop of concepts wheels on the Tata Harrier.
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-a1c223be257546649a1f886a4ff637cf.jpeg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-d711a58301fd4833a18c98ba0f819861.jpeg
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 14:14   #1240
BHPian

Smoking-Out.. Everything which was making its Design Busy..
Got this!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-4k3a.jpg  

kalleo4 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 14:31   #1241
Senior - BHPian

take a look at the Fiat Toro SUV. So who copied whom. Was fiat inspired by harrier or is the eyebrow shaped LED DRL housing a common feature on most new SUV's ?
https://www.rushlane.com/amp/fiat-to...-12251879.html
Old 31st October 2018, 14:41   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratiksinhal View Post
Looks really nice. Hope that they price it at par with Creta. Creta is a lone racer in the segment. I want a second car in Creta segment but I can't find any. Hopefully Harrier will be the one.
I am thinking pretty much as you are. But I will differ on the 'pricing on line with Creta' stance. Creta is already a shade overpriced for what it offers, it has had a great run due to the Hyundai brand which is trusted and also because no direct competitor for it. Duster has more dated interiors and other 'compact SUVs' are a segment lower.

Harrier need not necessarily slot into to Creta's pricing. Tata should price what it should be and aim to see if it can undercut Creta pricing whilst delivering stellar quality. We then have a great option in the segment (good interiors, Good looking exterior, Good spec, what's not to like).

The tweet of expected on-road pricing was a masterstroke by Tata Motors. They've clearly mentioned too it was 'expected' pricing. During launch, I am guessing they're going to surprise everyone. Just hope, not with bad pricing.
k_ajay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 14:45   #1243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Sure, the wheels could've been black and a size bigger but apart from that I honestly don't see where it is deviating from the original. I feel the pictures aren't doing justice, it will surely be a head turner in person.

Talking about the designs staying true to the concepts, here are a few before and after pictures of some of the successful models
Excellent post!

Even I felt that the production model has been a bit mellowed down compared to the concept, specially the side profile - but then you are absolutely right. TATA Motors has stuck to the concept as much as it could be realistically possible.

It is easy for us to photoshop and come up with a thousand derivatives - but in the end, they might have limitations making it into a mass market production model that is acceptable to the masses.

As it looks - Harrier looks like a good competition to take on both Creta and Compass.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 15:05   #1244
BHPian

I would wait for a year for Tata to take feedback from the customers and launch a sporty version of the Harrier with bigger black alloys, all black interiors, double barrell exhaust, roof rails, panaromic sunroof, smoked headlamps and contrasting ORVMs. This car looks so good that it deserves a sporty version.

In fact, Tata might already be working on it but they don't want to show that Harrier is a costly car so they are reserving it for the future. Similar to what Jeep did with the late launch of the Limited Plus.
Old 31st October 2018, 15:05   #1245
Distinguished - BHPian

I think its a great thing that the headlight assembly has been pushed down. I find it extremely annoying when the multiple Fortuners and Endeavours drive with their high beam on and since the headlight assemblies are placed right at the top in those cars, it comes straight at your eye level.
drmohitg is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks