Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2018, 15:45   #1381
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

I was wondering if this news of no AT and no AWD at launch was indeed true, what could be the plausible reasons for the same. The following scenarios came to my head and sharing this with fellow members:

1. The Harrier is on a new platform with new engine. Probably TATA wants to get its QC and service right from day one. Too many unknowns and variables would be hard to control.

2. To avoid sticker shock at launch. No way a Harrier with AT and AWD can significantly undercut the current Compass manual top end or be priced on par with Creta. The engine is borrowed, there will definitely be significant royalties making it more expensive than say, the HEXA.

3. To save some novelty for the 7 seater when it is launched. This way it doesn't have to come to market with the only differentiation of having additional 2 seats. It may also be Tata's ploy to extract more from the customer who is willing to pay more for AT and AWD and enthusing him with more seats as well!

Comments welcome!

Last edited by octane_100 : 6th November 2018 at 15:50. Reason: fixing typo
octane_100 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 15:49   #1382
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Was really hoping for the diesel automatic, that is the sole reason why I haven't gone for the Jeep Compass Limited Plus model.
If auto ain't coming on launch then Jeep Compass diesel manual would be my choice. Atleast will get 4x4 & more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleo4 View Post
Made a little effort to clear the TataHarrier released & spy pics..

Its Indeed Stellar!!
I though the earlier spy pics were already clear enough.
But good effort.

Last edited by deepjaju : 6th November 2018 at 15:51.
Old 6th November 2018, 16:10   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
More on the C/SUV.

Tata Harrier to launch with diesel manual 6-speed gearbox as standard fit only.

Supply constraint anticipated would be unable to meet the surge in demand expected for the AT variant.

Link
This is such a bummer. I just booked it couple of days back and was seriously anticipating a auto option but alas, so good to be true. I'm contemplating to cancel the booking though I'll wait till mid December for trim details to be out. I hope TML does everything it takes to remain true on 'leaks'. They did a very good job in building the hype however last few leaks or updates are not very encouraging.
Old 6th November 2018, 16:13   #1384
BHPian

I thought Tata opened advanced booking much earlier only to collect information on credible buyer preferences and if I'm not wrong most of us have opted for diesel automatic version. But now this news about not releasing automatic because of huge demand is like committing suicide.

This is something similar to a movie in which villain wanted to make a very bad movie intentionally so that it flops at box office .

Last edited by somspaple : 6th November 2018 at 16:14.
somspaple is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 16:25   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Was really hoping for the diesel automatic, that is the sole reason why I haven't gone for the Jeep Compass Limited Plus model.
If auto ain't coming on launch then Jeep Compass diesel manual would be my choice. Atleast will get 4x4 & more power.

I though the earlier spy pics were already clear enough.
But good effort.

Same for me as well, if no diesel AT then need to cancel the booking. i wait till Jan.

any other 5 seater options other than Compass?
Old 6th November 2018, 16:52   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
My only concern now, is that Tata may omit the 4*4 and the automatic at launch.

For some strange reason most manufacturers tend to omit or not have automatic on their top-spec models at launch.

Quoting myself and my post from 1st November. These manufacturers have become so predictable.

No Diesel automatic
No 4*4
No sunroof etc

So I guess GTO was right. The top end may be now available for 18 lakhs OTR.

The Harrier is off my shopping list.

The wait for a good diesel auto continues.:

Last edited by Aditya : 6th November 2018 at 18:26. Reason: Fixing quote tags
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 17:02   #1387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanthosh View Post
Same for me as well, if no diesel AT then need to cancel the booking. i wait till Jan.

any other 5 seater options other than Compass?
I am still searching for a viable semi-luxury compact SUV for everyday use. Compass(Limited plus an excellent option, but no diesel auto),
Harrier(New, so exciting),
Tuscon(A little too big for my liking and lets face it its not Hyundai's best seller)
Creta(Really boring, nothing special),
Nissan Kicks(not really interested in Nissan brand)
Brezza(A segment lower but still a good car)
Used Audi Q3(Thats a nice idea isn't it?)
Used Mini(That car is a hoot)

That was my list.
Old 6th November 2018, 17:11   #1388
BHPian

a little OT:

If only Ford plonks a good Auto tranny in Ecosport Diesel variant. Otherwise at present I see Duster Diesel AMT as the only option. With superb discounts- fully loaded option costs 15lacs on road in B'lor [you can bargain for few cool accessories too]. My friend recently bought one and has already munched close to 10K in couple of months.
Old 6th November 2018, 18:06   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
More on the C/SUV.

Supply constraint anticipated would be unable to meet the surge in demand expected for the AT variant.
Not to add to the already frantic speculation revolving around this launch and hoodwink, I have heard in good authority that Tata is going to launch the AT version by July 2018. However, the 4x4 option will be delayed by a further 2 quarters minimum.

Still hopeful despite Autocar's article, and wishing everyone here a Happy Diwali.
Old 6th November 2018, 18:09   #1390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I know Tata had to suffer a lot for choosing 19" rims for the Hexa, but they still look great and there haven't been too many reports of blown tyres or bent rims, have there?
Hexa XTA owner here.
Absolutely no problem with the 19 inch tyres and rims. The cars been all over, highways to rough roads. No problems.

They look absolutely gorgeous, i wouldn't have them smaller. As the saying goes, you've bought the wrong car if you don't look back at your car while walking away from it. From that perspective, I've bought the absolutely right car.
Yes, the replacement cost will be high, but that's the ONLY downside, although probably the looks make up for it.
jalsa777 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 19:21   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
Hexa XTA owner here.
Absolutely no problem with the 19 inch tyres and rims. The cars been all over, highways to rough roads. No problems. .....
I second that my friend has an Hexa and has driven over 10000 kms in less than 6 months and loves the comfortable ride,prefers it more than his 320d. Not sure who is facing the problems with the tyres..
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 19:45   #1392
BHPian

Why am I not surprised at the lack of features and the missing diesel with Auto GB version? When I went to buy the Hexa, I wanted a 4WD with Auto GB. To this end, I had a most interesting conversation with the Tata people who told me that the version I want is feasible but they are not going to be making it. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4314809 (Tata Hexa : Official Review)) So i went ahead with the Auto version seeing that it will be a highway vehicle for father who goes mostly with a driver. This elephant (the Endeavour is the big woolly mammoth) has covered approx 24k km so far and no complaints from the 19'' tyre and wheel combination. No bulges or cracks. Planning to change them once the 2019 monsoon sets in. I am a happy owner

I am not on the lookout for another vehicle but the initial news did get my attention. Now of course, I m not going to bother any longer.
N33raj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 20:12   #1393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
The sunroof is more of a bane than a boon in India. The dust, heat, rain etc. don't quite make a sunroof exciting. Frankly, the safety issues that the sunroof causes / has potential to cause far outweigh any benrfits that it may have. Eg., It's not uncommon to see kids standing with their heads out of the sunroof.

One may say that it could be used at night, would it still be a sunroof?
I think it's not something we can't live without in a car. I'm not keen on a sunroof with a weather like ours. Also the maintenance after years will be an issue. My friend used to have an Opel Astra with a sunroof and it did start to leak after a service. Might be a one off case but it surely isn't a thing I want in my car. Plus the added safety issue... I see kids standing on highways and expressways with the car speeding well over 80kmph and I wonder how can be people be so careless with safety of their own kin. I witnessed this on Sunday in a Honda city. The kid was enjoying it and the parents too were kind of feeling good that they got a car which made their kid happy. Strange!

Quote:
More on the C/SUV.

Link
I'll wait until the launch and see what they are offering. I booked an Harrier with an expectation that it will come with an auto box. If that's not happening then I will switch to the Hexa XTA version. I need my ride at the earliest and it gets difficult on a day to day basis travelling on Ubers and Ola with driver strikes and heavy surge on certain days and hours of the day.

PS: I love manuals but, with the traffic and the distance I drive through on a daily basis in the city; I eagerly want to switch to the auto box. I love the manuals when it comes to highways, but that happens only 15 - 20 percent of my total drive.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th November 2018 at 17:08. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 6th November 2018, 21:01   #1394
BHPian

Happy Diwali!

source: https://www.instagram.com/tataharrier/?hl=en
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20181106205542632_com.instagram.android.png  

kalleo4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 21:37   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
The sunroof is more of a bane than a boon in India. The dust, heat, rain etc. don't quite make a sunroof exciting. Frankly, the safety issues that the sunroof causes / has potential to cause far outweigh any benrfits that it may have. Eg., It's not uncommon to see kids standing with their heads out of the sunroof.

One may say that it could be used at night, would it still be a sunroof?
I also feel that way.

In fact, one of the key safety tests in a rollover is the "roof strength test" (https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ra...-strength-test). The roof is the one thing that should never tear off or get damaged in a rollover, else the occupants heads would collide/rub against the road in a rollover! (God forbid!)

A glass roof seems dangerous to me, and esp more so if a rollover happens over non-flat terrain (rocks, etc).

Also see https://www.compare.com/auto-insuran...redesigns-cars

And if people are unbuckled and standing and looking out the sunroof, that is really asking for trouble (from a safety standpoint). You might as well buy a car without seatbelts and airbags!

Remember, one may be a good driver. But it just takes *another* idiot to come and dash into one (again, God forbid), so one can never be safe behind the thought that "But I am a safe and sedate driver", when it comes to justifying sunroof as an option.

I once had a car with a sunroof, used it a few times, and then the fad went away. But the safety downside stuck with the car forever!
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed