Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2018, 00:07   #1456
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

My family has doubts that bookings would've have even crossed the 10,000 mark, else Tata Motors would've advertised the hype (like how Hyundai advertised about the Verna).

Anyway, Harrier has been in development since 2+ years. They would've strategised the market positioning. Wonder why then could Tata not anticipate demand (especially for automatic variant during the initial surge for the launch period) & build production capacity for good availability!?

It might be a very capable product, but it's coming disgustingly late to the market - Creta has dominated the landscape & it'll be next to impossible to compete if Tata has developed cold feet with barely any bookings.

People can say the car is great this way or that way, but unless Tata manages the launch period decently, it'll kill the last hurrah of the Tata brand.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 12th November 2018 at 00:09.
Old 12th November 2018, 00:09   #1457
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Is it just me or did someone else think of Harrier as modern version Breaking Bad's Walter White's first car?

You just compared the Harrier to the Pontiac Aztek, which at one point was one of the Worlds ugliest cars.

However now that you have mentioned these cars I can relate a bit
karan561 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 00:18   #1458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
A reliable source tells me that there will be no AT at launch and it will come later.
Autocar India reported this earlier this week and this has led to lot of anguish amongst the people here who had booked the Harrier hoping to drive home the automatic. I am one of them unfortunately.
Hoping against hope that your source and ACI are wrong about it.

On second note: Did your source disclose when Tata plans to introduce the automatic into the lineup? I am back in May, so perhaps can wait a few more months. Of course, all that depends on how good a car the manual Harrier is.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 12th November 2018 at 00:27.
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 06:37   #1459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it just me or did someone else think of Harrier as modern version Breaking Bad's Walter White's first car?
Haha, but better get used to the look. Everyone is on this thin led LED light + triangular lower light setup including Hyundai and KIA.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 07:25   #1460
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Shouldn't Tata be getting the AT from manufacturers like ZF, Aisin etc ?

ASIN already supplies the 6-Speed Transversely mounted Auto to Mahindra for the XUV500. Tata should source from an OEM Manufacturer rather than a competitor. So Diesel Engine from Fiat & Automatic from Hyundai. The engine atleast comes from a plant jointly owned by Tata, but top source the 6-Speed from a major competitor in India is pointless.

Quote:

Already beat you to this mate. See my post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4487535 .
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 08:32   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously.. You're comparing this modern beast with beautiful curving lines to the Aztek, which was all straight lines and strange angles? The Aztek, while amazingly practical for those who love the outdoors, was rated an extremely ugly vehicle. I think the Harrier deserves slightly better comparisons, how much ever on hates Tata.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th November 2018 at 11:38. Reason: External smiley deleted
HighwayofLife is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 10:15   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
how much ever on hates Tata
As someone who bought Nano when people did not give it second look and now Nexon, yes.

The comment was purely on the headlights layout. Nothing else.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th November 2018 at 11:36. Reason: Fixing quote tag
avingodb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 12:46   #1463
BANNED

Quote:
As someone who bought Nano when people did not give it second look and now Nexon, yes.

The comment was purely on the headlights layout. Nothing else.
There are similarities in the overall layout, but are not identical. There is something called 'eventually the design will grow upon you'. Wait and see other manufacturers too upgrading there SUVs to such a design when they see the market has accepted this design.
Old 12th November 2018, 12:51   #1464
BHPian

that is correct we will have to wait and see if it gets accepted. I just hope the 2nd gen Harrier doesnt have the front this bad. Hopefully there will be some after market stuff available to make the current one look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
There are similarities in the overall layout, but are not identical. There is something called 'eventually the design will grow upon you'. Wait and see other manufacturers too upgrading there SUVs to such a design when they see the market has accepted this design.
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 15:07   #1465
Team-BHP Support

Us Bangalore Mods tested a Discovery Sport over the weekend. Based on our observations on the chassis
  • Good ride over rough roads, slightly firm but liveable. Bumps are dispensed with at ease.
  • Slight pitchy movements at higher speeds
  • Good space for 5 passengers but for the +2 folks, it is a joke
  • Well weighted steering
  • Pretty good handling - not BMW X3 type but competent

I am only limiting comments over here to what we know will be shared with the Harrier. Enough to say, what we observed, we quite liked.

Last edited by ajmat : 12th November 2018 at 15:09.
ajmat is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 15:13   #1466
BHPian

I see lot of rumours and negative comments on Harrier, without even looking at the vehicle in person, people are already passing judgment and influencing other people's sane thoughts

- No AT: People are claiming that "reliable" sources are telling that AT will not be available at the launch.

Please share who has told this because in the meeting held at Taj Bangalore, TML made it very clear that future is of AT and releasing cars with AT will be their first priority.

So, I am not sure how true is the "No AT" rumour.

- Comparing Design with Aztec.
I don't know where is the similarity between the two.

To me it seems people are hell bent to say all the negative things against TML.

And I am sorry to say the TBHP is allowing these comments and so called rumours to flourish without verifying the authenticity of the source.

Good luck TML.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 15:21   #1467
BHPian

On all this AT not available at launch discussion, IMO, Tata should at least try their best to shorten the delay of AT introduction post launch and give a date. This will help the interested AT buyers to relax a bit and most of them will wait rather than cancelling their bookings if the wait is not too long.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 15:40   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
- No AT: People are claiming that "reliable" sources are telling that AT will not be available at the launch.

Please share who has told this because in the meeting held at Taj Bangalore, TML made it very clear that future is of AT and releasing cars with AT will be their first priority.

So, I am not sure how true is the "No AT" rumour.

- Comparing Design with Aztec.

-PK
There are sources that cannot be named and I understand that. And then you have Autocar India, a reputed publication who will not publish an article on hearsay. They are the one's that mentioned that Harrier will be available in manual/diesel combo at the launch. Link to the ACI article.

Second, Tata motors did reply to my tweet but they were non-committal in their reply regarding the automatic. I have shared their reply for the benefit of the forum a few posts up.

Third, regarding the comparison with the Aztec, well to each his own. I find absolutely no/none/zero resemblance to that ghastly looking vehicle, and believe Tata has done a commendable job on the Harrier with a rather toned down and mature design as compared to its stablemate the Nexon.

Regards
hiren.mistry is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 16:53   #1469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I am back in May, so perhaps can wait a few more months. Of course, all that depends on how good a car the manual Harrier is.
No exact dates but May/Jun seems to be a safe bet. Am sure they are mindful of people's preferences and are doing all they can to accelerate the launch.

They are super pumped about the vehicle's capabilities and potential to break new ground. Hoping for the best!
spindoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 17:48   #1470
BHPian

Stumbled upon this resource while researching Tata's future product roadmap. Admittedly, I was researching the Hexa. However, it has some interesting tidbits about the Harrier as well.

Here is the link.

Mods : Please delete if shared already.
rovingeye is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks