Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2018, 15:19   #811
Senior - BHPian

Ok, one car that the Harrier will also have to compete with, the KIA SP, which is also due next year. And that would be bang in Harrier territory. If my assumption is right, both of these cars will be priced almost similarly. So Hyundai lets KIA launch the SP at a premium over the Creta, and the KIA will then compete with the Harrier, and also the base versions of the Compass. Hyundai then would use the SP platform for the next gen Creta, price it slightly lower than the SP and have the 15-22 lakh segment covered quite well.

But the credibility and Capabilities of the Harrier is what would make the difference!
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 21:00   #812
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Source - https://auto.ndtv.com/news/tata-harr...rce=googlenews

If the news report is to be believed, harrier engine will be BSVI compliant on arrival. Wow! That's a game changer. At the same time it'll definitely push the prices higher than what has been speculated widely in the past few months.
Old 6th October 2018, 22:08   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman_30 View Post
If the news report is to be believed, harrier engine will be BSVI compliant on arrival. Wow! That's a game changer. At the same time it'll definitely push the prices higher than what has been speculated widely in the past few months.
Just out of curiosity, how does BS IV or BS VI compliance matter to a car buyer? How does it become a game changer? Is it that one may not be able to re-register BS IV cars in Metros once BS VI comes into effect? In that case, yes, it is better to go for a BS VI car for people in metros. Other than that, what advantage does it have apart from environment friendly nature (which is important)? I am just trying to understand.
Old 6th October 2018, 22:12   #814
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman_30 View Post
Source - https://auto.ndtv.com/news/tata-harr...rce=googlenews

Does it mean it going to be an all new engine developed by TATA and not Fiat sourced engine which is also ding duty on Compass?
Old 6th October 2018, 22:23   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Just out of curiosity, how does BS IV or BS VI compliance matter to a car buyer? How does it become a game changer? Is it that one may not be able to re-register BS IV cars in Metros once BS VI comes into effect? In that case, yes, it is better to go for a BS VI car for people in metros. Other than that, what advantage does it have apart from environment friendly nature (which is important)? I am just trying to understand.
Pretty soon BSVI will no longer be an option but a mandatory requirement. Amongst other things, for one Tata will get early mover advantage wherein they can market the vehicle as future ready and 'cleaner' than the competition.
These days the buyer is much aware and things that are seen to be in line with changing (and future) norms will definitely auger well with the aware buyer.
sandman_30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 22:28   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Does it mean it going to be an all new engine developed by TATA and not Fiat sourced engine which is also ding duty on Compass?
Looks like they are only changing the EGR of the same engine to match BSVI standards. Is that easier and cheaper to filter/recirculate what's already emitted?
Somebody with the know how please explain..
Old 7th October 2018, 06:39   #817
Senior - BHPian

This is the latest on the Harrier. The have christened the engine as Kryotec. No other information is divulged other than the fact that it's a 2.0L.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20181007063552.png  

discoverwild is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 08:42   #818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
This is the latest on the Harrier. The have christened the engine as Kryotec. No other information is divulged other than the fact that it's a 2.0L.
This was tweeted by Sirish Chandran.
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20181007083202__01.jpg

Link to Tweet- https://twitter.com/SirishChandran/s...968181761?s=19
BoneCollector is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 10:16   #819
BHPian

"Tata Motors will soon shift gears to 'Do it Yourself' mode as a business strategy with the launch of Harrier, a five-seater sports utility vehicle.As part of the plan, a digital configurator comprising a three-dimensional graphics-based front-end application (app) will allow customers to choose the power train, brakes, suspension types, seating configuration, add-on kits and align the output generated by the tool to company's back-end manufacturing and supply chain, to churn out the specific order."

I feel Tata Motors will bank on DIY app for Harrier, which will help them to keep the costs flexible for the end customer with giving them an option to get what he need in his car and keep the cost in control

Last edited by bageherath : 7th October 2018 at 10:18.
bageherath is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 10:28   #820
Senior - BHPian

I hope the DIY option is true. Similar options are available in most developed countries, and gives flexibility to the customer.

For e.g if I want an auto tranny but not many fancy features, I still have to dish out a lot for money because it's only available in top model (in most models). Basically, I am paying for features I don't need.
Old 7th October 2018, 10:31   #821
BANNED

DIY, finally someone is thinking about it. Wish it becomes a norm. Do we know how many fuel stations are already selling b6 standard fuel
Old 7th October 2018, 15:49   #822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
This was tweeted by Sirish Chandran....
171 bhp? I thought Harrier is coming with the 140 bhp tune and the 7 seater in 170 tune!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 16:45   #823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
171 bhp? I thought Harrier is coming with the 140 bhp tune and the 7 seater in 170 tune!
If they had to give 140bhp engine, they wouldn't have taken the 2L engine from Fiat, rather continue with the Varicor 2.2L for Harrier. If the engine is in same tune as Compass, it'll have 171bhp I guess.
Old 7th October 2018, 16:55   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
True!!
Now where did the 171 bhp come all of a sudden? All this while we were speculating prices based on a 140 bhp tune for Harrier with the 171 bhp coming on the 7 seater.

Is it a typo?
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 17:39   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
If they had to give 140bhp engine, they wouldn't have taken the 2L engine from Fiat, rather continue with the Varicor 2.2L for Harrier. If the engine is in same tune as Compass, it'll have 171bhp I guess.
To me that makes perfect sense and couldn't agree more with the rationale.
The million dollar question though is if Tata thinks that way.
I really do hope we get the engine with higher state of tune like on the Compass.
sandman_30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed