Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2018, 08:27   #886
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Here is size comparison between the two;
XUV - 4585 x 1890 x 1785
HARRIER - 4575 x 1960 x 1686
Length is almost same, Harrier is wider than XUV by 70 mm, and XUV stand taller by 99 mm.
Thanks, and just to add another data point for a vehicle with a similar engine, here are the specs for the Compass: 4395 x 1818 x 1640 (significantly smaller on all dimensions)

The Compass has decent road presence, and if the Harrier's stance is similar to the version shown at the Auto Expo, it'll look substantial as well.
Amartya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 08:50   #887
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

A glimpse of what to expect:

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-43730571_2178236349113199_1820896452231036928_n.png
RavenAvi is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 09:02   #888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Good one pjbiju and thanks to your son for the super duper camera work.
Yay! I was right after all. The DRLs do double up as indicators.
Thanks Uday - my son spends more time on the forum than me now. Yes, the DRLs were working as the indicators - my son noticed that and told me so. Unfortunately I did not ask him to capture that in video. He also said that the rear light clusters were not LED - at least that is how he was able to make it out. He also thought DRLs appearing above the headlights looked very different from other vehicles. In fact I had no plans for these photos and videos since we already have many on the forum. Then after a while I asked him to do it. You can see the Ertiga and Creta passing by the Harrier in the videos to give some idea about how the Harrier compares with those.
pjbiju is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 13:26   #889
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Well; A lot depends on equipment on offer, and the associated price point.

If 16L OTR has all the basics covered ( say Compass Sport type) plus top safety kit like a minimum of 6 airbags, then it won't seem bad. And if a 4x4 auto is on offer at 21L OTR, I guess there would be takers.

I just hope TATA lets go; the annoying habit of releasing variants at intervals and launch all basic variants ( MT/ AT/ AWD) in one go. Just imagine all this hype and then no AT/AWD on launch

Wow, you want the Harrier to come with 6 airbags at 16 Lakhs on road? That is cheaper than the Creta! The Creta variant which has 6 airbags is well over 17-18 Lakhs on road!

So this is what we wish, a car that Is bigger than the Compass, must be priced lower than the Creta, and that is because its Tata!

The Harrier has dimensions that almost match the XUV500 and bigger than the Compass, comes with a 2.0 Diesel engine and supposedly some pedigree, but we are still hearing comments that the Harrier should be priced almost lower than the Creta!

Why not voice such opinions for the CRV or even the Honda City which has a top end retailing at 16-17 Lakhs? Lets stop preaching Tata that they should get this price right by suggesting abnormal prices.

May be let us all just wait for the car and judge for what it is, rather than pretending to say that Tata should probably price it low to sell well.
motorworks is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 13:54   #890
Senior - BHPian

When Ford can give 6 airbags in an 8 lakh car, then giving it for 16 lakhs should be no big deal. And what's the harm is expecting Tata to make it standard across variants. They are already making the safest cars anyway.
samaspire is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 14:33   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

So this is what we wish, a car that Is bigger than the Compass, must be priced lower than the Creta, and that is because its Tata!
I suppose you have misunderstood my friend. If Toyota can make 7 airbags standard on the Yaris. Is it unreal to expect other manufacturers to follow this good practice?

Keeping safety options standard would only enhance appeal. I don't care about cruise control, touch screen size, cooled/heated apparatuses etc. There was news about TATA providing customisation options, I hope it's more than just choosing chrome and seat covers.
400notout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 14:57   #892
Senior - BHPian

With Tata positioning Harrier as their flagship, they should try to full fill these things,

• Make 6 Airbags Standard across range and offer Segment 1st 8 Airbags on Top Variant. They should offer it both on 4x2 & 4x4 hardware. Unlike Jeep which offer only on 4x4.
  • Offer LED Headlights as standard across range. Headlights are part of essential kit. And whether you buy base or top spec, your car should light up the road well.
  • Offer Alloy Wheels in Single Shade in Mid Variants & Dual Tone Diamond Cut types in Top End Variants.
  • Offer Sunroof in Top Spec Variants
  • Leather seats should be only on Top Spec Variants, base variants can live with Leatherette Type.

These are only few I have listed, there are many more.

Tata should make sure they don't restrict all features for Top Spec Harrier like Honda Does. Instead they should follow Skoda and Volkswagen (More Standard Features across variants).

Do this and price it between Creta and Compass like they are doing and you'll see it work for them.

IMO, Base Variants should undercut top Spec Variants of Creta (SX/SX+SX(O)) and Top Variants should undercut Compass variants (Longitude/Longitude Option).
CarguyNish is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 14:57   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, you want the Harrier to come with 6 airbags at 16 Lakhs on road? That is cheaper than the Creta! The Creta variant which has 6 airbags is well over 17-18 Lakhs on road!
It did not start at that price. The point is that like the Creta or any other car in India it has to start at a pricing which is value for that brand in that segment. Hyundai did a good build up starting small and building the brand up. Tata is doing the same and now they are at a point where they up their game.

Yes those of us who take the time to evaluate and understand the vehicle may still buy it. But we are what a miniscule percent of the buyers. And even for us enthusiasts dont we want to see more Harriers on the road so that you dont have to wait two months for a spare if you broke a tail light. Above all do we not want to see a proper SUV with 4x4, slip differential etc rule the roost in India rather than an a raised SUV shaped hatchback. If yes then more people should come to the showroom drive the Harrier feel the difference and then put their money on it. A lower starting price coupled with a good advertising campaign can do that. They can progressively add premium later. Now the Compass sells 1000 units barely at this point. Unless we want the Harrier to see the same fate we should learn from Hyundai not Jeep. Lastly I do not believe the Creta offers much over the i20 or Verna except ground clearance and in my perfect world does not deserve its price. The Harrier in this world should cost more but thats only when they have a level playing field and numbers.

I like Hyundai cars and service but I find their pricing not quite where it should be. I dont think of it as an SUV brand either.
nainan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 15:30   #894
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
When Ford can give 6 airbags in an 8 lakh car, then giving it for 16 lakhs should be no big deal. And what's the harm is expecting Tata to make it standard across variants. They are already making the safest cars anyway.

The question here is should Tata offer 6 or 7 airbags as standard. Ford does offer 6 airbags in the top most variant. And if it is no big deal then why would none of the other auto manufacturers offer it as standard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
I suppose you have misunderstood my friend. If Toyota can make 7 airbags standard on the Yaris. Is it unreal to expect other manufacturers to follow this good practice?

Keeping safety options standard would only enhance appeal. I don't care about cruise control, touch screen size, cooled/heated apparatuses etc. There was news about TATA providing customisation options, I hope it's more than just choosing chrome and seat covers.

Toyota could do it coz they have 2 cash cows in the form of Innova and the Fortuner. They knew that the Yaris had nothing special and that is why they had to have other USPs, which was the standard 7 airbags and the automatic option in every variant. Anyway, look at where the Yaris is now in terms of sales. Not able to match up to the Ciaz, City and Verna.

Secondly, none of the cars like XUV500, Creta, Compass, Innova offer 6 or 7 airbags as standard.

My point is not about not wanting additional safety equipment. I would be truly happy if all manufacturers offer safety equipment such as 7 airbags standard. But my only concern is that a lot of people here expect Tata to load the vehicle to the hilt, price it abnormally low, and what not!

Anyway, this discussion is not heading anywhere. Some of you folks want the Harrier to be loaded, priced lower, all in the pretext of saying that this is the right approach since its Tata and that they need to generate x numbers. My whole point is this, consider the product, its dimensions, engine, build and everything else and then arrive at the right price expectation, which I think anyway Tata will get right.
motorworks is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 16:57   #895
BHPian

Quote:
The question here is should Tata offer 6 or 7 airbags as standard.
Nothing like it if they do.

Quote:

Toyota could do it coz they have 2 cash cows in the form of Innova and the Fortuner. They knew that the Yaris had nothing special and that is why they had to have other USPs, which was the standard 7 airbags and the automatic option in every variant. Anyway, look at where the Yaris is now in terms of sales. Not able to match up to the Ciaz, City and Verna.
And how many cash cows does TATA have? Tiago is doing well now, but it's not a high margin product. Nexon sells, but far from segment best sales. This makes Harrier quite an important product.

And guess where Yaris loses, pricing?

Quote:

Secondly, none of the cars like XUV500, Creta, Compass, Innova offer 6 or 7 airbags as standard.
Seriously? The cars you mention are all established sub brands themselves. Toyota made the same mistake when launching the Yaris against the more established competition.

From the info that we have, Harrier is trying to slot between Creta and Compass. To make sure it's not a case of neither here nor there, the Harrier should be competitive against the respective Compass/Creta variant against which it would be priced.

Quote:

But my only concern is that a lot of people here expect Tata to load the vehicle to the hilt, price it abnormally low, and what not!

Anyway, this discussion is not heading anywhere. Some of you folks want the Harrier to be loaded, priced lower, all in the pretext of saying that this is the right approach since its Tata and that they need to generate x numbers. My whole point is this, consider the product, its dimensions, engine, build and everything else and then arrive at the right price expectation, which I think anyway Tata will get right.

The Harrier has a detuned Compass engine and dimensions bigger than both Creta and Compass. The "leaked" prices suggest overlap between top variants of Creta and mid variants of Compass.

Price will always be a factor when answering the question on why should one buy the Harrier over the Creta or Compass? IMO the comparison is inevitable even if the Harrier is a superior product.
400notout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 19:18   #896
BHPian

I got a call from Tata motors, they confirmed bookings to start tomorrow both online and dealer oriented. Did not confirm on booking amount though.
bageherath is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 20:57   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
With Tata positioning Harrier as their flagship, they should try to full fill these things,

• Make 6 Airbags Standard across range and offer Segment 1st 8 Airbags on Top Variant. They should offer it both on 4x2 & 4x4 hardware. Unlike Jeep which offer only on 4x4.
  • Offer LED Headlights as standard across range. Headlights are part of essential kit. And whether you buy base or top spec, your car should light up the road well.
  • Offer Alloy Wheels in Single Shade in Mid Variants & Dual Tone Diamond Cut types in Top End Variants.
  • Offer Sunroof in Top Spec Variants
  • Leather seats should be only on Top Spec Variants, base variants can live with Leatherette Type.

These are only few I have listed, there are many more.

Tata should make sure they don't restrict all features for Top Spec Harrier like Honda Does. Instead they should follow Skoda and Volkswagen (More Standard Features across variants).

Do this and price it between Creta and Compass like they are doing and you'll see it work for them.

IMO, Base Variants should undercut top Spec Variants of Creta (SX/SX+SX(O)) and Top Variants should undercut Compass variants (Longitude/Longitude Option).
Excellent list. I for one will be happy without a touchscreen, sunroof, alloy wheels and bling bada boom on the base variant. Instead please provide us with a huge accessories list to customize based on individual requirements and upgrade later.

Safety first - I hope Tata continues to lead in build quality and makes 6 Airbags standard.

The car - They have it covered great on paper (Omega Platform + 2.0L Fiat + 6 Speed Tuscon based AT).

Are the seats the same as Hexa's?
sprocket is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 22:24   #898
Senior - BHPian

Guys I thought they are going to offer us configurable variants. So basically that means you can pick and choose what options you want over the base model. In that manner, I don't think there will be one defined variants perhaps?
Old 15th October 2018, 01:29   #899
BHPian

Watermarking :)

Got this one as a whatsapp forward. Sorry for the poor quality pic.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-image00001.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2018 at 11:03.
BipB is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 01:37   #900
BHPian

Anything from the head front, or front left or front right or rear or anything else. It looks like, well I dont know what to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Got this one as a whatsapp forward. Sorry for the poor quality pic.

Last edited by ampere : 15th October 2018 at 06:15. Reason: Typo fixed
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks