Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2018, 20:01   #946
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post

Along with its cousin, it also has a resemblance, specially the stance (except for the rear window) with its neighborhood friend who has shared its gearbox.

Hyundai Tucson
Length 4475mm
Width 1850mm
Height 1660mm.

Tata Harrier
Length 4575 mm
Width 1950 mm
Height 1686 mm

Happened to drive with a Tucson alongside and noticed that it almost matched the dimension specs of the Harrier.

To think that the Harrier is being considered as competition to the Creta when the larger Tucson actually matches the Harrier!!

I think the comparison would be like how Skoda matches the specs of a higher model of Mercedes for the price of a lower one. For ex: Size and space of an S-Class at around C-Class price.
discoverwild is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 20:23   #947
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Attachment 1808210

Along with its cousin, it also has a resemblance, specially the stance (except for the rear window) with its neighborhood friend who has shared its gearbox.

I just hope it does not end up matching number of sales too. Tata wants to win sustainably on the Turnaround 2.0 vision. For that they need to make a good number of sales on the Harrier.

Someone was earlier mentioning feature preferences being asked during booking. Is that a one off case or has it been the same with everyone?
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 20:25   #948
BHPian

Went ahead and plonked ₹30K for booking. Got the same XZ variant confirmation via email.

On the way home stopped outside Concorde Motors at Prabhadevi, Mumbai and there was not a soul inside. Anyways got a call from the dealership 30 min ago asking for a copy of PAN and address proof to enter into their system.

Model Harrier
Variant Harrier XZ
Colour
Web Ref No TvbC18*********
Sales Order Number SO-CcdMum-1819-00****
Sales Order Date 15/OCT/2018
Dealership CONCORDE MOTORS (INDIA) LTD - 3005800
Dealership Address LIOYDS CENTRE POINTDEVCHAND HOUSING COMPOUND, OFF G B ROAD, OVALA

Will only proceed if the A/T variant is loaded with better rims.. Now I have to wait for only 4 more months and further leaks ..
mikem is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 21:09   #949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1808210

Good point, it looks like a Disco sport from front and a Tucson from the rear.

Was researching a bit in the 140 HP tune of the Multijet 2.0 engine. It appears to be quite competent. Makes the same torque (350 NM) as the higher tune of the engine. Does 0-100 in around 10.2 seconds in the UK spec of the new Compass with a manual tyranny. The only grouse if the powerband is too narrow only really alive from 1750 to 2500 rpm or so. I am sure the auto tyranny can mask that a bit.

The Hyundai sourced auto box is said to be fairly smooth but somewhat slow to respond to quick throttle inputs. It does seem to have various eco drive technologies and also a sport mode. In contrast to what I posted earlier, I saw from further research that it had indeed been paired to a mildee version of four wheel drive system in the previous generation Jeep Compass and Patriot. So we can probably expect a 4X4 auto though not for hardcore Off road applications.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 21:44   #950
BHPian

And thats exactly why I didnt put in the booking amount, I want to test drive the automatic and see how it responds. The tucson despite having 182hp does not seem punchy to drive. Does anybody think it will be different in case of Harrier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Good point, it looks like a Disco sport from front and a Tucson from the rear.

Was researching a bit in the 140 HP tune of the Multijet 2.0 engine. It appears to be quite competent. Makes the same torque (350 NM) as the higher tune of the engine. Does 0-100 in around 10.2 seconds in the UK spec of the new Compass with a manual tyranny. The only grouse if the powerband is too narrow only really alive from 1750 to 2500 rpm or so. I am sure the auto tyranny can mask that a bit.

The Hyundai sourced auto box is said to be fairly smooth but somewhat slow to respond to quick throttle inputs. It does seem to have various eco drive technologies and also a sport mode. In contrast to what I posted earlier, I saw from further research that it had indeed been paired to a mildee version of four wheel drive system in the previous generation Jeep Compass and Patriot. So we can probably expect a 4X4 auto though not for hardcore Off road applications.
Old 16th October 2018, 04:52   #951
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I just received the booking details from Tata motors. The variant mentioned is Harrier XZ. I hope we can change the variant later as I am interested in the AT variant only.

Selling the Ecosport? Or the Bimmer? Or Corolla? Buzz me if it's the German..or just looking to add to the current garage😊
Old 16th October 2018, 05:06   #952
Distinguished - BHPian

A Harrier was booked by my cousin, XZ variant was assigned by default. And a price of 16-21L on road is very much there. Now what we need to see is that, is that on-road price for Mumbai or Delhi or Bangalore! If it's Bangalore price, Delhi will get it much cheaper, if it's Delhi price, Bangalore has a tough call.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 05:38   #953
Senior - BHPian

To be honest I like the looks of the Harrier more than the Tuscon. There I said it. And if the execution, and by execution I mean the fit and finish of how the parts fit together, is close to Hyundai, I see no reason of why anyone would want to plonk extra money on the Hyundai. C'mon Tata.
extreme_torque is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 06:36   #954
BHPian

Two thoughts:
- Even adjusting for the fact that this is an enthusiast forum, the buzz and excitement that Tata has created with the Harrier concept and launch have been impressive. Hope they deliver to their promise and meet or exceed the high expectations
- While I appreciate the passion that drives many of you who have put money down and intend to get the vehicle soon after launch, is it not prudent to wait for the first refresh which sorts out most if not all the niggles?

Last edited by BackInTheFold : 16th October 2018 at 06:38.
BackInTheFold is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 07:00   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
- While I appreciate the passion that drives many of you who have put money down and intend to get the vehicle soon after launch, is it not prudent to wait for the first refresh which sorts out most if not all the niggles?
While what you say is true, Tata have shown enough capabilities in managing a well-built Hexa with few issues right from start. They also have been very customer-friendly and attended to whatever initial issues a customer had. That was also a miniscule number. I guess that has helped in changing the perception in the minds of the buyers that the company has made a genuine turnaround for the better. The next set of releases from the Tiago, Tigor and Nexon have also reiterated that point. The cars for a majority have been trouble free.

The amount of real world testing that we have seen of the Harrier is also a positive impression of the quality and capability. I'm sure that Tata will address whatever gremlins crop up in production as quickly as possible. And customers, especially Team-Bhpians know it well.
discoverwild is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 07:03   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
is it not prudent to wait for the first refresh which sorts out most if not all the niggles?
Times are changing, maybe?

Tata’s recent new launches (Hexa, Tiago, Nexon) seem to suggest that the ”wait for six months to buy a Tata car” is a thing of the past. The new cars from Tata stable appear to be reliable and niggle free (there are going to be few cases which defy this statement, but that is true for any manufacturer)

And with so much riding on this car for Tata, one can be pretty sure that they are going to leave no stone unturned and learn from the past to deliver a reliable and niggle free product from Day One.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 07:41   #957
Distinguished - BHPian

Browsing through the papers today, I was expecting an AD saying "bookings open for Harrier". But there was no such as and not even a news item. Perhaps TATA wants to keep this quiet till after the festive season so as not to cannibalize sales of Hexa.
Old 16th October 2018, 08:27   #958
BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Are we sure of the dimensions of harrier vs tuscon? If yes then Tata has a winner cos tuscon looks like a proper suv (unlike Cresa) and on road price of 23 lakhs for top end vs 30 lakhs of tuscon would make it a winner. Now we must not forget its a Fiat engine plus Land Rover chassis and tuscon automatic gear etc and not expect magical prices. Lets also keep in mind the dollar value increasing, I am guessing all cars will increase drastically but hopefully Tata will be lesser being more India made or assembled.

Ultimately the question would be if people would be willing to invest 23+ lakhs on a TATA brand. I am still thinking and want to wait till next year for the Nissan kicks and Kia suv to come and then take the decision. All said and done dont expect a 20+ lakh car to have waiting period more than 45 days.

Last edited by urajkumar : 16th October 2018 at 08:33.
urajkumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 10:18   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
And thats exactly why I didnt put in the booking amount, I want to test drive the automatic and see how it responds. The tucson despite having 182hp does not seem punchy to drive. Does anybody think it will be different in case of Harrier?
While I have not driven the Tucson automatic I do know that the one on the Verna is sluggish. It takes its own sweet time to shift and I find myself switching to manually changing gears on the highway so maybe its a trait with Hyundai gearboxes.

I wonder why Tata did not use the excellent auto gearbox from the Hexa with the sport mode which is much peppier. Given that the Hexa makes around the same amount of power and more torque it should not have been too difficult to port it.
nainan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 10:36   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
I wonder why Tata did not use the excellent auto gearbox from the Hexa with the sport mode which is much peppier. Given that the Hexa makes around the same amount of power and more torque it should not have been too difficult to port it.
Good point, however basic drive for both the Tata cars is different. As you are aware the Hexa is a RWD (Rear Wheel Drive) car with a longitudinally mounted engine and a propeller shaft powering the rear wheels. As against this the Harrier has a FWD (Front Wheel Drive) configuration or an AWD (All Wheel Drive), which means it will have a transversely mounted engine and the crank shaft powering the front wheels. Hope now you know why the Hexa's automatic gearbox is not a straightforward lift and shift in the Harrier.
AutoIndian is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks