Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2018, 20:40   #976
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Completely agree with this statement.
Looking at the launch schedule, delayed launch of the AT would give me little more time to arrive at the final decision.

At first look, the rear of the Harrier looked just like the Tucson. That is not a bad thing.

Tata could be facing the same issue as FCA and awaiting the BS VI version engine for the automatic. The Compass diesel automatics are delayed , apparently for this reason.

The probable other reason being TATA wants a SHOCK STICKER pricing range at launch and will keep the more expensive variants for later.
Old 16th October 2018, 20:48   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Confirmation of the pricing range by Tata Motors on Twitter, albeit with an addendum of some suspense:

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img20181016wa0074.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 21:22   #978
Senior - BHPian

Booking announcement video
Latheesh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 21:36   #979
BANNED

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

As per the Sales executive there is no Diesel Automatic launch in January. So I think people who are looking for automatic will get a reasonable time to come to know about Harrier by the time Automatic launches. At the price range of 16-21 lakhs Tata would hope to get around a sales of 1500-2000 monthly. I don’t think Tata is expecting voulmes with Harrier.

Tata have just left open the segment above Nexon and below Compass, albeit a very narrow one to Creta alone ( ₹ 12-18 lakh range ). Its very surprising that there is hardly anyone to give Creta a competition. Creta segment is where all the money is, not in the Compass segment. I’m not saying Harrier should be priced low. Tata could have come up with a competitor to Creta and then worked its way up.
The Rationalist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 21:38   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
The next set of releases from the Tiago, Tigor and Nexon have also reiterated that point. The cars for a majority have been trouble free.
As a Tigor owner I beg to differ! My car has the infamous fumes smell issue even though the car has been in the market for almost a year before I bought. Even the initial owners have been chasing Tata to resolve this but no luck Positive changes are only for regular service and how they treat customers who have come for service.

Sales is still the worst I have experienced.

Car has lot of positives no doubt, but I bought it thanks to all the extremely positive posts online, but our owners group paints a different tale.
giri1.8 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 21:52   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Confirmation of the pricing range by Tata Motors on Twitter, albeit with an addendum of some suspense:
Looks like the same guys who priced the Aria are in charge. I am wondering where they will get sustainable numbers from.While this might not be the most reliable assessment and the market will definitely decide on the number but most potential buyers I know(people who have an XUV/Scorpio or plan to upgrade to an SUV from a B2 hatch/C1 sedan) seem to be disappointed with the pricing. Coming from an IT company spending potential does not see the problem but people seem to want more(seating/brand oomph) at this price.This might end up being a capable enthusiast's car with limited numbers. My reading is 1000-2000 units per month and long waiting times for spares.

Not sure if this is what Tata intended.

Last edited by ampere : 17th October 2018 at 07:02. Reason: compacted quoted post
nainan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 22:52   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post

Tata have just left open the segment above Nexon and below Compass, albeit a very narrow one to Creta alone ( ₹ 12-18 lakh range ). Its very surprising that there is hardly anyone to give Creta a competition. Creta segment is where all the money is, not in the Compass segment. I’m not saying Harrier should be priced low. Tata could have come up with a competitor to Creta and then worked its way up.
Very true. But it depends on the package that they give us in 16 lakh on road price. If the base package is equipped to compete with similarly priced creta, then that should be good enough.

Also ,it'll be good to see what TATA does for getting people into their showrooms to have a feel of the harrier.

The creta ads were like the price starts at less than 10 lakhs and they were able to get sufficient footprints and then people slowly started getting feel of creta.

Slowly over 2-3 months of time, we'll be able to see their perspective customers. Will they be targetting young people in their early late 20s or early 30s, or family people, their upcoming ads will surely give us some indications.

Their target category should have the money and the will to buy a TATA. This is what is going to help them achieve good sales numbers for long term. We all want them to succeed and hope they would have done all their analysis correct and not assume that a brilliant product will sell only beacuse it's brilliant.. 😀
turbo_delight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 22:59   #983
BHPian

I was expecting that Tata will price it between 12 to 20L OTR for the Harrier. With this pricing, I am not sure if they will find the success they are looking for, especially with 5 seats. But it is interesting to see that the Safari price range is till kept open, which leads me to believe that the Safari brand is here to stay. Hope they refresh it ASAP and bring in a proper, modern, medium sized SUV so that the whole price-band for up to 20L (or 25L with H7X) is covered.
DieselAddikt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 23:10   #984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
As a Tigor owner I beg to differ!
I did mention it has been good for a major part. I'm in no way saying that they are the best. I did read about the smell of fumes but couldn't come up with a logical reason why it was happening. Maybe the refresh has this issue sorted out. I have no idea.

Niggles have become a part of almost every car sold in the market today, affecting all manufacturers. So, it's not just Tata.

The Vista is my 6th Tata and has had its share of annoyances. One major issue is at cold start where the fuel pump doesn't start at ignition. I need to switch on and off a couple of times before I hear the gurgle of fuel. The ill-fitting beadings on the roof have been like that from day 1. The beige fabric is a real pain to maintain. But at 7 years, 136000 kms, 15 kmpl in city, tyres lasting 50-55k, clutch lasting 106k, I have little else to complain.

I hope someone at Tata figures out the issue you are facing. As for sales and service, I haven't entered the showroom since I bought the car and have a FNG to cater to my needs.

I'm waiting for the Harrier and the Tiago JTP to be launched and might plonk my money on the Harrier sometime next year. The Vista will continue its city duties.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 23:24   #985
BHPian

16 for base. Alas!
Such a shame they didn't learn their lesson from Aria. 16 for the mid variant would have hit the sweet spot IMO.
Old 16th October 2018, 23:38   #986
Sac
BHPian

I think we should take this supposed 16 base price with a pinch of salt. After all Tata hasn't come out with their official pricing yet and I'm quite certain that the dealerships get to know of the pricing only towards the last hours of the launch since it's the best kept secret for any new hot launch.
Old 16th October 2018, 23:42   #987
Senior - BHPian

Pricing numbers aside, unable to comprehend on why would a manufacturer leak out the much awaited price months before the launch , unless they decide to conclude the final price only after testing waters initially with some randomly quoted figures.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 00:14   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
Looks like the same guys who priced the Aria are in charge.
Even when Manza sold in 500s I didn't face any problem in the availability of spares; with Renault selling as many dusters they do, except for ORVM nothing seems to be in stock across all service center's atleast in Bangalore. 2000 units month on month of 20+ lakhs car is not bad at all IMHO, especially with other cars from the stable selling as good as they do currently.

Last edited by ampere : 17th October 2018 at 07:03. Reason: compacted quoted post
v6kgang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 00:28   #989
Distinguished - BHPian

Now, is that another marketing trick?? Not one manufacturer so far has ever released a ON-THE-ROAD price. Am sure, on the launch date, TATA is going to declare the Ex Showroom price which will be close to 2L lesser? Which means, suddenly everyone following the current 16-21L price will feel the car has launched at a better price than they expected?!!

I am also yet to think about any manufacturer who has ever released a price too, on a vehicle which is yet to be even unveiled. There are so much surprises from TATA on Harrier.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th October 2018 at 00:32.
swiftnfurious is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 00:44   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6kgang View Post
Even when Manza sold in 500s I didn't face any problem in the availability of spares; with Renault selling as many dusters they do, except for ORVM nothing seems to be in stock across all service center's atleast in Bangalore.
2000 units month on month of 20+ lakhs car is not bad at all IMHO, especially with other cars from the stable selling as good as they do currently.
I did face it with the Safari 2.2. The spoiler scraped off on one road where they wanted to stop trucks and the service centre took their time. Another time a overzealous guy took my mirror off while overtaking. I was mirrorless for months. Then the A/C knob disonnecting which even their best man with the spanner took a whole day or two to get fixed every 2 months to the point that I developed a phobia of turning it. Then some og the small rubber pads whose absence I started to ignore any any small bit parts which I hunted and kept like treasured lest they are lost to my vehicle forever. Overall in spares my experience was much better with Hyundai and much worse with Fiat.

2000 units might not be enough if a good number comes off the Hexa and Safari numbers which too are in the same price range especially given they leave the 11 - 16 band wide open.

Now in case you think I am a potential buyer let me clarify I am not. The 7 seater interests me because with a popular 5 seater having lots in common ( mirrors, lights and other commonly broken bits) a well made 7 seater would be good and easy to maintain. Else I might have to bite the bullet and go for the popular choices which I know are overpriced and much lesser in terms of appeal which I might do anyway as the 7 seater seems to be unlikely in the age of the diesels.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed