Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2018, 12:14   #1006
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Its really unfair for Tata that everyone wants it cheaper.
Its not about pricing it 'cheaper' - its all about VFM (and VFM varies person to person)
There are other options in the same range which are already established and 7 seaters to top it.

And lets be real, Tata just does not have the history of a well established premium product to demand that price. They need to start building that trust and then move the prices accordingly.

I have nothing against Tata. I am sold on the product, but just not at the price of 21L. I would not pay 21L for this even if it had a different badge.

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th October 2018 at 13:25. Reason: Fixing quote tags
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 12:26   #1007
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
If the top end Harrier is going to cost 21 lakh onroad, then the top end 7 seater version will cost nothing less than 25-26. Now, that is going to be serious money and Tata will have to really get their act together to make it a success.

There are times when i think the 7 seater is a mirage. I hope Tata clears the air on it and, if true, also the expected time-frame.
25-26 lacks for well designed, well built spacious 7 seater SUV with premium features (6 airbags, sunroof, AWD, 170+ bhp engine, powered seats etc etc) is not only 'reasonable' it is even 'ambitious' or 'unrealistic'. Next car with equivalent specs is almost 20 lacks more. Even XUV500 top end costs 26ish in Bangalore (which of course still has rough edges and not something most desirable)
My gut feel is, 21 lakh is for the 2WD, Manual model even for the 5 seater. 5 seater top end with AWD, AT and all other premium features will be 25 lakhs on-road.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 12:48   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
25-26 lacks for well designed, well built spacious 7 seater SUV with premium features (6 airbags, sunroof, AWD, 170+ bhp engine, powered seats etc etc) is not only 'reasonable' it is even 'ambitious' or 'unrealistic'. Next car with equivalent specs is almost 20 lacks more. Even XUV500 top end costs 26ish in Bangalore (which of course still has rough edges and not something most desirable)
My gut feel is, 21 lakh is for the 2WD, Manual model even for the 5 seater. 5 seater top end with AWD, AT and all other premium features will be 25 lakhs on-road.
Is it possible-Yes, of course.

Is it going to be easy- I wouldn't bet on it considering the brand image TATA has and the perception in the market. A competent product is a necessary but not sufficient condition.

But, as i mentioned, i am not even sure if there is going to be a 7 seater in the first place
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 13:04   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
If Tata thinks they are going to create a new segment above Creta, its risky.

They did that with Hexa giving a MUV/SUV and contrary to what others think, they failed.

One Minor difference. The HEXA was/is nowhere as"Desirable" when compared to the Creta.

Whereas what I saw at the Expo, the H5X concept in terms of desirability was simply mind blowing enough to blow away the Duster/Creata/XUV500/Compass.

Indians in 2018 does not just look for VFM products, but "Desirability" now plays a huge factor.

For example, just Look at the success of the following models: Maruti Swift, Maruti Dzire, Maruti Baleno, ROYAL ENFIELD, Creta, Fortuner. - All are basically Commuters but DESIRABLE Commuters.

Last edited by payeng : 17th October 2018 at 13:14.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 13:24   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post

But, as i mentioned, i am not even sure if there is going to be a 7 seater in the first place
Dimensionally, H5X seems to be big enough to go for a 5+2 configuration (with the 2 additional seats which are strictly meant for kids/short distance, just like the competitors). 7 seater could be based on the same body, just like what CRV is doing.
Old 17th October 2018, 13:35   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
In automotive world major might equal 90 or more percent, but in the owners group more than half of the active members face some issue or the other.

We have had cars from all kinds of makes at our garage till now, and Tata is the only one with issues right before I takes the keys from the maker!

Glad to know that your car is doing well , but even such small issues are not present in some of the brands, Maruti sells more Swifts than all of the models combined sold by most of the car makers, but issues are far less and service is taken seriously.

P.S: I am not trying to deframe Tata here, I read too many overly positive reviews online which lead to my purchase and I don't want that to happen to anyone, lets give the customers a clear picture of what they are getting into.
I understand your point of view, Giri and I expect Tata to ensure their vehicles are trouble-free too. Regarding other manufacturers being better, check the issues with the Dzire, Baleno (steering column issues?), Ciaz (chassis flex), Ecosport (engine overheating here in India, catching fire in UK, US and SA), Innova Crysta (plenty of issues with the tyres bursting, rattling etc), XUV (airbags!), VW and Skoda (DSG gearboxes).

We could go on but then we are already off topic. The issue is that these gremlins do occur in most vehicles but get highlighted more, when it is from Tata, because of the perception. I had to replace the silencer in my Santro 3 times before I sold it.

Regarding the FNG, I used to go to a Tata A.S.S since 1997, but that changed hands a couple of years ago and since then I prefer going to the FNG which is closer to my place and the person worked at a Tata A.S.S before setting up his own garage. I visit him once in about 5-6 months, just to check on the vehicle. Regular service is once in 10,000 kms. For most people, that's a service visit 1-2 times in a year. Not more. Out of warranty now, my cost of maintenance is much under control, 4-5k. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I really hope Tata is able to pull up their socks and not disappoint customers like you, who have taken a chance with them. I also dislike their latest move of reducing/removing features from the models a few months after launch. Certainly a step in the wrong direction.

Coming back to the Harrier, I still haven't decided if I need one. I would love the space it offers as I'm 6'2" with a growing son. I don't need 7 seats ever. Between the Nexon and the Vista, the space increment is marginal (the boot is definitely larger) but the Harrier would be a whole size bigger. So, I'm just thinking about it. Use the Vista in the city for another 2-3 years and keep the Harrier for the highways.

Last edited by discoverwild : 17th October 2018 at 13:59.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 13:36   #1012
BHPian

TATA HARRIER
In Multiple Colours
- Rendering

source: indianautosblog
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierorangerenderingde94.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierredrendering91e3.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierwhiterendering3372.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharriergreyrendering85e2.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierbluerendering7dcc.jpg  

Last edited by kalleo4 : 17th October 2018 at 13:38.
kalleo4 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 14:26   #1013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Dimensionally, H5X seems to be big enough to go for a 5+2 configuration (with the 2 additional seats which are strictly meant for kids/short distance, just like the competitors). 7 seater could be based on the same body, just like what CRV is doing.
Strictly looking at the Video and Omega Arc platform capabilities. Omega Arc can accomodate a length of upto 4800 mm and since the 7 seater would be the largest car on the platform it logically should be 225 mm longer(H5X was 4575 mm). In the video too the 7 seater has a bigger rear overhang. The 7 seater has a stepped/upward sloping roof like the Safari or LR Discovery to accomodate the 3rd row. This is evident on closer examination of the video screenshot and the reason fore the roof rails(for aesthetics). The head and tail lights are like the Harrier but this has a bigger cluster for the tail lights (again in the video). The third row will be cramped but not as much as the Disco Sport.

Yes the basic body is same till the waistline but I expect a higher centre of gravity and additional weight.

This might be all electric if it ever gets released considering that it will need a year or two of testing.
nainan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 14:45   #1014
Senior - BHPian

So many discussions on pricing and that at the tweeted pricing this will fail.

We are always looking at the current segments and price points to determine if a few car will be a success or failure. If that was the thought process, neither would the Creta have been a success at the price at which it sells now.

One needs to acknowledge the general increase in disposal incomes in the past 3-4 years and the shift towards SUV body style while "projecting" the Harrier could do.

Also consider all those tens of thousands of Creta owners who are looking for an upgrade ? What would they want to move to ?

There could be a reasonably large market/segment to be created to fill that gap. So one needs to wait and see what the Harrier looks like in flesh along with specs/quality before concluding on possible numbers.
narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 15:47   #1015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleo4 View Post
TATA HARRIER
In Multiple Colours
- Rendering

source: indianautosblog
Wow! The White looks stunning, will surely be my choice. The Red and Orange are a close second. Seeing the spy pics, renderings and partial reveals by Tata I am eager to see how the car looks in person/metal.
Old 17th October 2018, 15:56   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Also consider all those tens of thousands of Creta owners who are looking for an upgrade ? What would they want to move to ?
Absolutely agreed.
In addition to that, Duster has been sold in huge numbers in the past, and for some of those people (in addition to the Creta owners) there are no good options to upgrade into. For example, I found Tuscon to be overpriced for what it offered (though I did like the car) and Compass seemed hardly an upgrade in terms of cabin and boot space.

Hence, pricing it slightly above Creata, but at some time providing some features which make it more practical at that price point (extensively discussed throughout this thread), could be a great strategy.
ralto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 16:17   #1017
Senior - BHPian

All recent launches by Tata are good. Hexa, Tiago, Tigor and Nexon are good cars and quality is been good in all cars. All cars are VFM in their respective segments as well. Still they are not doing that great, why? I totally blame their dealers for the same. In one word, most of their dealers are hopeless. They don't know how to sell cars, how to make customers happy, how to make follow up with prospective buyers. If they have dealers like Maruti and Hyundai, the sell will at least increase by 50% without doing anything.

Car like Harrier needs to be sold by very professional dealers and I really doubt if TATA have any available right now for them. They really need to work very hard on this to get success in the market. First part of launching good, quality cars is done. Second and biggest part to sell them is still not done properly, lots of improvements are required. Hope they are working on this. All the best TATA.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 16:37   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Just so everyone is on the same page, lets look at Creta on road prices, in Bangalore for a moment.

If you leave out the base E and E Plus variants out of the equation, then even the 1.4 S Diesel is priced close to 15 Lakhs.

The 1.6 Diesel SX which comes with a 2 airbags and some touchscreen HU etc costs more than 16.5! And the ones with the 6 airbags and sun roof are way higher, nearly 19 Lakhs!

So lets look at the prices of Harrier in this context. The only place where Tata loses out of the is the lack of a variant under 15, which the Creta has in the form of E plus variant. But then again that variant is of 1.4 diesel and almost no features except 2 airbags.Attachment 1808915Attachment 1808916
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1539774194.697633.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1539774205.110489.jpg  

Last edited by motorworks : 17th October 2018 at 16:40.
motorworks is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 20:11   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Just so everyone is on the same page, lets look at Creta on road prices, in Bangalore for a moment.

If you leave out the base E and E Plus variants out of the equation, then even the 1.4 S Diesel is priced close to 15 Lakhs.
Spot on !!
Even if we see Tiago or nexon, they offer more value for money in their segment and not necessarily under priced

This car has all it takes to disrupt car sales from 15-20 lakhs and that is where they will be pricing it too.

I wouldn't be surprised if they even overlap with the base compass
Old 17th October 2018, 20:16   #1020
BHPian

I currently own a Duster. Planning to upgrade in 2019 ( With a budget of around 20 lakhs ).
Jeep Compass is ruled out due to it's compact size. Not to my liking.
XUV is also not in my list after recent issues about Airbags not deploying during severe crash. Lost the trust on M&M.

I was thinking of pre-owned Ford Endeavour / Toyota Fortuner. They are plenty available in Bangalore in the range of 18L - 20L.
Need some effort in getting a good deal though. Also, Pre-owned market has its own risk.

However, I might change my decision and end up buying TATA Harrier! It looks stunning ( with leaked production ready images ).
Kudos to TATA for building such an amazing product. Top end diesel MT at around 20 lakhs looks fair

If Mahindra can price the XUV close to 25 lakhs ( W11 AWD AT is close to 25 lakhs Bangalore OTR! ), why can't TATA price the Harrier at around 20 lakhs???
Just because of TATA Brand and Harrier being a 5 Seater?
RAHS is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed