Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2018, 20:43   #1021
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Few things to consider,

These speculated launch price are just a testing grounds on how market responds to the news. Are they happy or not happy about it.
With launch of Tata Harrier, Tata is looking to strike two or more cars with a single launch - Creta, XUV and Compass.

To have a successful strike Tata needs to get few things right:
- Space / interiors
- Powerful Engine / Gearbox Combo
- Looks / Features on offer
- Most importantly price with proper features around the price bracket.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 00:21   #1022
BHPian

The price is similar to xuv 500, about 21 lacs for auto awd.

Two ways to look at this, 1) when the xuv launched tata had safari. A very delayed reaction saw tata come up with safari storme. Xuv shows up with automatic transmission, while tata had nothing to offer. Meanwhile Mahindra acquires sangyong, and JLR was bought by TATA.

2) Mahindra launches rexton and upcoming xuv 700 or whatever it may be called.
Meanwhile tata manages to use JLR derived chassis, fiat engine, Hyundai gearbox, and now aims at XUV ?

Kryotec, impact 2, alpha omega pie theta platform, are all lofty words (marketing gimmick)

Case in point Why is xuv and hexa which is a dolled up aria have similar power figures "? Maybe both used the same engine block to begin with (AVL)

TATA could have punched one segment higher rather than targeting xuv price bracket. If they were late to the party they should have arrived in style. Eg 180 ps 400 nm and match Tucson, to show xuv is passé. That would have buried the CRV. It means market evolution. The domestic manufactures have to wear boxing gloves and come out swinging considering the resources available.

Instead JLR is sold at ridiculous premium and harrier is a hand me down JLR with cosmetic surgery.

140 BHP kryotec could have been ingenuim family.

Instead what we will get is JLR chassis with made to cost car. Sure it will sell some but I wouldn't put booking amount without TEAM-BHP review, and wouldn't want to be a test subject.

Meanwhile a macro, super hybrid mumbo jumbo with same power as previous xuv and no electric propulsion capability can be expected from Mahindra.
Don't get me wrong marketing can invent words it's part of their job, as long as legal definition is complied with its fair game. This is where information smart customers turn the tide, mediocre doesn't mean it's real deal no matter what it's called in advertising.

After so long harrier targets xuv price bracket where as the customers are expecting and 21 lac Land Rover. Iam pleasantly surprised the harrier is not launching with a AMT, for that iam grateful. At least a lesson learnt by the the Indian manufacturer is at 21 lacs we need to provide actual automatic transmissions. Forums like Team-BHP play their significant part in achieving this MILESTONE.
Sparks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 01:25   #1023
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

We have seen quite a few pricing reactions mine included in the last couple of days.

I was looking at the other side of the equation. The Harrier should be 100 % localised(MJD 2.0 & Omega Arc made in India) while the Creta is 90%, Tucson 50% & Compass 70%. Would in this case not Tata have a significant production cost advantage against the above and should that not be factored in its pricing.

A bit off thread but relevant is Royal Enfields pricing strategy for the 650 twins where they are focusing not only on the product but price also being the major incentive to disrupt the market.The Bajaj's made this disruption with the Pulsars twins which too were good technology fully indegenised and priced well. I suppose launching twins also helps spread the customer segment coverage and enable cross sell and up sell in a better manner.

This too could have been a strategy considering both the 5 and 7 seater were co-developed, share a lot of parts and platform and most importantly cover a good part of the market supporting sales, improving parts availability and more importantly getting more customers to the showroom.

I also dont understand the rationale of moving from a large 7 seater flagship to a smaller 5 seater flagship when they had the opportunity to have a replacement. Lastly if they did not intend to have the 7 seater in the 5 seater timeline was it not better to tease it later and garner as many customers for the Harrier as possible.

I also think there is disproportionate hype around the Land Rover pedigree, completely ignoring the Tata one.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 02:59   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

If I were the product manager/pricing in charge of this product - then I would absolutely let this 16-21 lakh on road price thing be out. It could be that this is deliberately let out, and still kept vague to get potential market acceptance of the product at this price point.

The final pricing may be decided on the actual response of the price. It's also let out in a way so that it disseminates to the target segment buyer. Could be..

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 18th October 2018 at 03:00.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 09:35   #1025
BHPian

After reading through all these posts, it seems that the general feel amongst the BHPians seems to have gone down from overly positive to neutral stance after the release of on-road prices by Tata twitter handle. Does that ring any bell on the expected sales numbers of Harrier? However, this may also be an "inception" by Tata to plant a higher price in the buyer's mind and launch it with a shocking sticker "ex-showroom" price.

Is there any one on the forum, who has pre-booked the Harrier, cancelled or thought of cancelling the booking?

Last edited by jpcoolguy : 18th October 2018 at 09:36.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 10:18   #1026
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
However, I might change my decision and end up buying TATA
I have a Duster AWD and it is a great car. It is short on space though. I think the Harrier is probably the most logical upgrade to the Duster. I am sure it will ride and handle like the Duster with a 2.0 mutlijet to boot. If they can price the AWD-Auto variant at within 25 Lakhs on the road, it will be a great choice. The XUV500 has 2 extra seats, but it is really long in the tooth at this point and the design is nowhere near the Harrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
Instead JLR is sold at ridiculous premium and harrier is a hand me down JLR with cosmetic surgery.

I disagree. It is not some minor cosmetic surgery of the older discovery sport. It is largely inspires by the Disco Sport, at 21 lakhs you cannot do minor cosmetic surgery on the Disco Sport and build a Harrier.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 18th October 2018 at 10:22.
4x4addict is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 10:42   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The XUV500 has 2 extra seats, but it is really long in the tooth at this point and the design is nowhere near the Harrier.
I think if the Harrier had those two extra seats and the Multijet 2.0 in the 170 bhp tuning i.e the H7X then maybe a lot of people would see value in this pricing proposition. I do know there are some of us who see value in the current proposition but there are quite a lot of negative reactions too.

If Tata wanted to gauge customer reaction and then price the product that would have been a better bet IMHO because even if their pricing strategy failed the H7X volumes would anyway be lesser than the Harrier so they could get to a more attractive pricing on the Harrier which is what they want to sell in more numbers anyway.

I know some of you may say Tata has a marketing team and that they are way smarter than us and they have an ace up their sleeve looking at the feature cut thread I am beginning to have my doubts if Tunaround 2.0 has really managed to take off as intended and if there is a spectacular change in attitudes.

If they are holding back the 7 seater thinking of loosing potential Hexa/Storme customers the competition is not sitting idle and there are a variety of 7 seaters inching ever closer to launch which will tap that market with better and newer products.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 11:09   #1028
BHPian

I suggest that Tata should position this as a premium product. They dont have any premium offering under Tata's badge (Not considering JLR and Hexa is not as per me). This is a right product for them to build the brand in the premium space and set the context for products to follow.

This product has all the right ingredients like a premium platform, decent and reliable engine, looks (as per the spy shots). Well equip the base variants as well and price it at a premium (not exorbitant). Build the desirability quotient (Safari) and if the product is good, it should do well and may get a cult following aka Safari.

Else, even if they launch this at aggressive pricing now, Tata has a tough task to sustain the sales numbers once the initial hype dies down.
NaviRai12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 11:19   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post

If Tata wanted to gauge customer reaction and then price the product that would have been a better bet IMHO because even if their pricing strategy failed the H7X volumes would anyway be lesser than the Harrier so they could get to a more attractive pricing on the Harrier which is what they want to sell in more numbers anyway.

I know some of you may say Tata has a marketing team and that they are way smarter than us and they have an ace up their sleeve looking at the feature cut thread I am beginning to have my doubts if Tunaround 2.0 has really managed to take off as intended and if there is a spectacular change in attitudes.
Totally agree with you. They are not in a position where they can command a premium because the product is excellent. We saw tigor Tiago as their next generation products but nowhere close to being Market leades. Also with JLR not doing a great business, they must use all their experience in making 2.0 a great success.

With all this and pricing still to be decided, they must be careful. I think they are in somewhere in middle of 2.0 ,H7X anyways will not have much sales numbers as it's price point will also be higher and they don't have many high profile launches after this.

If people start talking that 2.0 is not doing well, then it'll be difficult for the TATA motors passenger unit as a whole. With their share prices are already going down, they must give their best shot for Harrier to make their 2.0 story a sucess.

Harrier launch for them should be more than just any product launch, it's make or break for their 2.0 ��

Last edited by turbo_delight : 18th October 2018 at 11:24. Reason: Added few points
turbo_delight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 13:18   #1030
BHPian

Reserving my comments on the pricing as of now, but I am sure it will be in a good 'introductory' bracket to get the initial customer batch happy.

2 things i wanted to contribute and not sure whether discussed already is the :-

IRON MAN inspired styling!

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-iron_man_harrier.jpg

And whether they had to give initial H5X design blueprints to Hyundai for sharing their 6-Speed Auto Gearbox, going by such a close similarity to the frontage of the Hyundai KONA. Incidentally, the below image is of the 'Iron Man edition' of the Kona showcased in the previous Auto Expo.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-kona-suv.jpg

Synergies everywhere
Moto$apien is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 16:22   #1031
Distinguished - BHPian

Those slim lights are the new normal. See the newly unveiled Skoda Vision X.
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20181016011948_skoda_visionx7.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Those slim lights are the new normal. See the newly unveiled Skoda Vision X.
And the Kia SP Concept!
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20180816_170006.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 18th October 2018 at 19:16. Reason: Posts merged on request.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 18:25   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Is anybody adventurous enough to buy a first year model from Tata, of all companies?
DirtyDan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 19:03   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Is anybody adventurous enough to buy a first year model from Tata, of all companies?
That is an indirect insult to people who have already reserved it online, bhpians or otherwise. Out of curiosity, what was the last Tata you owned?
DieselAddikt is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 19:10   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Several have bought the Hexa, Nexon, Tiago, Tigor etc.

Going by your logic, Tata should be posting zero sales from its new models - instead it is growing by a healthy margin.

What exactly is your point here?
Steeroid is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 19:17   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I remember correctly, our erstwhile Yeti, Sam Kapasi, not only got one of the first Nanos, but also drove it all the way from Mumbai to Delhi.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ive-delhi.html (YetiBlog® - The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!)

Funny that after all these new line of cars, Tata still has to manage so much of negative perception, mostly from people who never tried them or intend to.
discoverwild is online now   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks