Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2018, 00:01   #2371
R_R
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Irrespective of how many people buy it or not, I think an SUV to be called an SUV needs at least AWD, if not full-scale 4WD with selectable low-range gears. I understand the corporate interest in not wasting effort or money on putting in capabilities that not a lot of people want or are willing to pay for. And I even understand people who are not keen on them because they are rarely going to use them. My only complaint is about calling such vehicles 'SUV'. Otherwise I don't understand the difference between such vehicles and say, the Innova, or Chevy Enjoy or (the appropriately named!) Renault Lodgy or others like that. Unless, of course, folks want to call them SUV too.

[And thanks, but I am going to hide for a couple of days to let the outrage die down ]
R_R is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 01:30   #2372
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Demo cars start reaching dealerships.
Even the dealership TD cars in the same shade? The overdose of that Orange shade now needs to stop! TATA should do itself a favour and start displaying the other shades. (Not that they are head turners) They have already done a mistake, in my opinion, by not having a Blue and a Red on the palette. It almost feels like they are reluctant to sell the Harrier in any other colour.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd December 2018 at 18:20. Reason: One more typo
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 10:14   #2373
BHPian

Pratap Bose tweets Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-661d3c86e2684c43bfaf649f8fd5f906.jpeg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-6aad1144bad54762b0fc5b70ef87581f.jpeg
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 10:30   #2374
BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Those are some sweet looking rims+tyres. Can't ignore the expertise of the photographer!
Old 22nd December 2018, 10:31   #2375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Damn, why can't he show us a glimpse of the rear too. Looks like the white does suit the Harrier. I have a feeling the vehicle will look more handsome from the rear in light shades than the orange.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 10:38   #2376
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
Those are some sweet looking rims+tyres. Can't ignore the expertise of the photographer!
Mostly photoshop, not photographed if you look closer. They wheels, tyres etc lack any detail as compared to the rest of the image.

Looks sweet nevertheless.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 11:55   #2377
Senior - BHPian

Just returning from the Tata Harrier event at St. Joseph's ground, opposite UB City. Initial impressions of family is that its good. Dimensions seem only as big as the Duster. Plastics are OK, same like Hexa. Will jot down my views soon.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20181222_113431.jpg

The spokes on alloys can be painted to accentuate the design.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20181222_120904.jpg

They could've done better crowd management especially for customers who wanted to sit in the cars. Some people had to wait very very long while people saw the car. There was this guy before me overtly cribbing about the door-plastics & indifferent to the crowd while opening & closing doors. Then there was this pushy guy who was getting impatient and loud. I calmly waited & whispered to the organisers to start giving some sort of tokens to customers (sour feelings during initial impressions could've definitely happened).

Anyway Tata, learn how to manage customers, especially those who've shown confidence & booked early. Those early adopters are fairly significant influencers.

Btw, they should've kept the area covered. I can't imagine how this set up will work in the hot afternoons.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 22nd December 2018 at 12:11.
GrammarNazi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 13:41   #2378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
The spokes on alloys can be painted to accentuate the design.
As per your thoughts. Just burnt the alloys a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20181222_120904.jpg  

discoverwild is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 14:24   #2379
Senior - BHPian

I went all the way there, saw the bad crowd management, and returned - without a closer look. Saving it for another day. That alloy is a serious put-off and even though I'm sold on the product would not have them - no matter what the 'sell'.

BTW, was there any 'memorabilia give away' at the event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
They could've done better crowd management
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 15:37   #2380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Demo cars start reaching dealerships.
I am curious to know if that armrest is sliding type ?

Because, if its not, then in most driving positions its nothing more than a lid. Many vehicles around have practically useless armrests, the recent most that I encountered was Yaris. I hate it when, engineers miss such basic function and then talk big about occupant packaging and ergonomics.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 22nd December 2018 at 15:39.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 17:28   #2381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Pratap Bose tweets Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Even when it is clear that there won't be any AWD, it is silly to continue the Harrier as a thoroughbred off road vehicle! Why spend on R&D when you can hire a photoshop guy who can put the car in any challenging terrain (Photoshop guy has put a oversized wheel, which will not fir in the wheel-arch)
PS: Pun intended. I still appreciate the effort from Tata. Just that the half hearted attempts won't give full results.In their position, they should not leave any stone unturned.

Last edited by Guna : 22nd December 2018 at 17:33.
Guna is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 17:31   #2382
Senior - BHPian

My impressions :
Engine Bay/Mechanicals
  • Transversely mounted engine is neatly laid out. It's NOT cramped in, so any components should be easy to reach during service. At idle, the engine runs with a gentle hum. The display car had done 2000kms but must've been kept ON for days at end.
  • Air intake is from the right/passenger side, not pointed directly straight ahead.
  • There's significant gap between front grill & radiator, thereby being well protected from road debris.
  • When 4 people sit inside, the car goes down a fair bit : Soft suspension ?
  • Good gap between tyre & wheel arch, even if suspension is soft, this will leave good room for suspension travel.
  • NVH may not be best but all 4 wheel-wells have cladding : this will significantly reduce noise from road, tyres & from any debris the tyre lifts.
Exterior design
  • The cars front seems busy but the rest is good.
  • Huge ORVMs. Suggest don't take this into small roads, or be super careful.
Interior : Driver seat
NB: Before judging anything, I suggest you find a good seating position. If you're tall & the center console fouls your left knee, just go abit lower & back, the rear passengers have huge legroom.
  • Now, look around & you'll realise the large external dimensions of the car. That reverse parking camera should've been a standard accessory. Maybe even a 360° cam!
  • It's like you're sitting inside sunken a second layer. The front bonnet is barely visible and you're quite far from it. Driving with this perspective is something that will require practice. The car is unable to mask it's size & the heftyness will be accentuated by the HPS.
  • The A pillar was thick. Watch out at positions of 2PM (right) & 9½AM (left).
  • Driver Right hand window controls are abit too back, it was almost in the center of the wrist & elbow.
  • The left arm-rest is TOO far back from the steering & even center console.
  • People who were worried about the cooled arm-rest & power socket, please don't worry. That a/c vent inside blows barely as much air as an infant breathes. Very little.
  • IMO The steering feels good to hold. The mounted controls are easy to use & tactile. The horn needs abit stretch to reach.
  • Remember this : Steering controls on the right are for the MID & the left are for the music system.
  • MID : Has all relevant info well laid out & appropriate font helps easily make out info.
  • Indicator stalks being used are the same since Zest.
  • The top of dashboard has soft touch, rest of the plastics seem to be same quality interior plastics since Zest.
Passenger side Interiors
  • Noticed the way doors handle is designed. Doors didn't feel light as such, yet not as heavy as my Linea.
  • Plastic wood design is done well because it's not overdone & not shining. Soft touch dashboard is across the top. Nice feel.
  • Hope Tata has ensured suppliers QC is tight & good quality materials are used & put together well such that these interiors age well.
  • Nice large window.
  • Glovebox is large & opens well as theres a good gap between the knees & glove-box lid.
Rear Interiors
  • Ample knee-room. A/C unit on B pillar is very very good : this way both passengers get to choose where they want the blower or to close it out completely.
  • Rear windows aren't very large, but you're seated so deep within that the window sill will be barely a few centimetres below the shoulder height. Anyway, visibility is good.
  • Armrest is abit too high.
  • 3 adults can easily sit comfortably.
  • Seats are abit too soft. Soft cushioning compound can cause fatigue after long drives.
My 2¢.

P.S. : Some broken piece of plastic from the car was kept in the rear center recess for mobile phones. Indians should respect others people's property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Nice! Very much how it should've been!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
...BTW, was there any 'memorabilia give away' at the event?
Nothing. They really could've atleast planned something where they allow few customers batch wise & professionally present the car to each batch.

Even if this took time, and batches got filled for a while, say 1hr, they could've directed that batch to the cake show next door, so the customers can return after an hour & be shown the car properly.

The event managers should've devised something like that. This was a very crude experience for people & led to a not-so-good first experience for some.

P.P.S. : There was this one person from the Tata team showing me the car, he was really informed about its features & genuinely tried his absolute best to help people experience & understand the car. I appreciate such people. Some customers I DO NOT appreciate when they were overtly grilling about insignificant things like the door plastic having a few scratches near the bottle holder. If someones actually interested & appreciates an effort & is being reasonably inquisitive, it is good, but I really don't appreciate people being deliberately contemptuous, mind repels thinking " -_- Get a life ".

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 22nd December 2018 at 17:57.
GrammarNazi is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 18:22   #2383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
even I Foreseen similar Blacking-of-Alloys on TataHARRIER
here are mine..

1st option- Is a direct & Easy one
2nd option- Is to achieve H5X alloy design.

PC: RavenAvi
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img20181221wa0062-1ab.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img20181221wa0062-1abrecovered1a.jpg  

Last edited by kalleo4 : 22nd December 2018 at 18:24.
kalleo4 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 06:59   #2384
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Even when it is clear that there won't be any AWD, it is silly to continue the Harrier as a thoroughbred off road vehicle! Why spend on R&D when you can hire a photoshop guy who can put the car in any challenging terrain (Photoshop guy has put a oversized wheel, which will not fir in the wheel-arch).......
I endorse the view wholly. And it is silly to put out the story that mfrs have to provide AWD in international markets because those markets demand it. As anyone can confirm with access to media, demand for AWD in pseudo-SUVs (like the Harrier) in those markets is just as poor as it is in India. By far the largest bulk sold are FWD versions. And yet they make sure that AWD remains a viable option.

TML (& JLR now!), like the rest of the domestics, has also learned the art of riding on the SUV gravy-train - take the bean counter's route of a monocoque structure with FWD only, and, like the Pied Piper of Hamlin, lead the buyers up the garden path with candyfloss & frills, while laughing all the way to the bank!
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 08:51   #2385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I endorse the view wholly. And it is silly to put out the story that mfrs have to provide AWD in international markets because those markets demand it. As anyone can confirm with access to media, demand for AWD in pseudo-SUVs (like the Harrier) in those markets is just as poor as it is in India. By far the largest bulk sold are FWD versions. And yet they make sure that AWD remains a viable option.
Also, remember it is not just Indian market. I hope they are trying to build a world class product and have ambitions to sell it in the international market (even if it is developing countries). Tata has been building 4X4 vehicles (even their MUV has 4WD!) and not offering 4WD is not in keeping up with their tradition and image.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks