Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2019, 06:09   #2986
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
But I'm more interested in the dark colors.
If anyone finds the Telesto Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
I think the silver and grey would be too bland for this car.
I am unsure but the very first undisguised pic posted on this very thread may be of the Telesto Grey?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tapatalk_1548462551962.jpeg  

uday.ere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 08:54   #2987
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Tata Harrier Imagined in Different Body-styles.

Looks Good in various forms.
CarguyNish is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 10:22   #2988
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Hexa prices hiked.

Quote:
Now, the prices range from INR 12,99,000-18,16,548*. The motive behind the hike seems to be the very positioning of the Hexa, with a plan to ensure that it is seen as a product priced between the Harrier and the H7X in the future.
Quote:
The most basic grade sees the biggest hike, of INR 41,748

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 10:30   #2989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata Hexa prices hiked.
Link
Oh, man! Seriously? I had a thought that Tata would have liked to sell it along with the Harrier keeping the Hexa as VFM. They have already stripped down many features as discussed here in the forum. Now, what about the cabbies? Is it still going to sell in triple digits? Is it still a VFM? Was the price hike necessary?

My heart skipped a beat when I had first misread it as the Harrier.

Last edited by SDP : 26th January 2019 at 13:36. Reason: Formatting of quoted portion and a corrected a minor typo
RedStallion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 11:35   #2990
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Now people want AWD, Sunroof and bhah blah as luxury. I fail to understand -

1. How sunroof is relevant in the Indian weather context as a luxury item? Why I should pay for it if I don't want it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
As for the sunroof, everybody thinks they live in a Mediterranean climate until reality hits them.

Its like us wanting a 1000W stereo !
I think what we are doing is to judge the buyers rather than the product. Does it really matter to this thread what prospective buyers do with their sunroof?

The simple fact is - ALL three of Harrier's competition (as identified by TATA themselves) offer sunroof as an option. This can't be mere co-incidence, as variants are usually decided based on market clinics on consumer preferences. If ALL three companies arrived at a decision to include sunroof - then it is evident that it has the potential to affect a purchase decision at this price point. You may not want it, the climate may not allow it - but it does have the capacity to influence purchase decisions.

Not only this price point, but lower ones too - The compact SUV space has WRV, Ecosport and XUV 3OO offering this option now, with Nexon offering the same at dealer level.

The question of usefulness in India has been discussed in this thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...hem-india.html (Sun/moon roof: Do we need them in India?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStallion View Post
I had a thought that Tata would have liked to sell it along with the Harrier keeping the Hexa as VFM.
The strategy is extremely clear now - isn't it?

Harrier skips many features in favour of a good price tag, and for a good reason that H7X might become the real heavy hitter from TATA Motors. Hexa will mostly soldier on till H7X as the 7 seater option, post which the 4*4 and top end versions might get discontinued, making it the VFM 7 seater in the family.

This twin sword attack might actually work. Going by Harrier's pricing - they can position a fully loaded 7 seater 4*4 SUV right against the Compass. Whereas those who don't want the features, or 7 seats - can get the Harrier at a much lower price point.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th January 2019 at 17:14. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 11:50   #2991
BHPian

Just finished the 12km test drive. My observations are:
1. Surprised to see a huge vehicle and good road presence.
2. Seating position was comfortable (I am 5.8"), didn't face the issue of touching dash white strip (don't know the exact name)
3. Steering is very heavy and comfortable. I didn't find OVRM issue
4. Felt clutch too light(as many pointed out) but too long, not responded till certain point on stop-start condition.
5. Gear shift is very smooth.
6. Superb visibility. Seating position is high, felt like driving a Fortuner
7. Felt little more on 2nd and 3rd gear and top its not much. Still little more refinement could have been better
8. Audio system is fantastic.
9. Comfortable driving in B2B in Bangalore traffic
10. Suspension is good.
11. Door plastic black panel had many scratches already in few days

Overall I liked it given a perfect 5 seater (only reason didn't buy Creta and Compass earlier) which I have been waiting for sometime. I will wait for all the colors to see in person before deciding and of course wait for Team-BHP reviews.

Dear BHPian,

There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by SDP : 26th January 2019 at 13:30. Reason: Please see inline
csanthosh is offline   (18) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 26th January 2019, 13:10   #2992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
--
Tata HEXA : Will move to double digits in sale figures
--
Quote:
Could you please elaborate the reason for the Hexa downfall? --
Quote:
Tata Hexa prices hiked.----
So you get it. The strategy will make it see those numbers.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 14:19   #2993
BHPian

Did a brief 10 min test drive of the Harrier in the city. Couldn't test the music system or AC.

My only negative points are (compared to the Tucson):
- Too noisy inside (I drove in 1st - 4th gear)
- Huge mirrors are a major blind spot. If they're mounted an inch or two lower, it may help.
- Driver's left armrest is quite useless
It's too far back. They should have made it sliding.

Rest all good.
Old 26th January 2019, 15:11   #2994
BHPian

Quote:
So you get it. The strategy will make it see those numbers.
If Harrier is a consistent seller bringing in additional volumes for TATA, and in the process it looses a few hundred monthly sales of HEXA, which is selling around 800 units a month it's a better for the brand in the long run. End of the day it will increase the overall sale for the company. We have been reading from different news sites about imminent closure of NANO from past two years, has it happened? The latest news says they will stop it by 2020!
TATA has a definite roadmap for Hexa upgrade to Euro6 norms so it's not going out of production anytime soon even with lower sales.

Last edited by damodar : 26th January 2019 at 15:22.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 15:21   #2995
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually the relative pricing of the Hexa vs Harrier should not matter at all. Both are in different segments, and cross-hopping should not really matter or happen. The fight will be with competing brands.

But hats off to Tata Motors for the brilliant pricing. Just like Hexa gave so much for a fraction of the price of the Innova, the Harrier too takes on the Compass.

The main concern I see is the after-sales service. People like who used to "good" servicing by the likes of Toyota, Renault or any other will expect similar service levels. Tata Motors could look at premium service centers for Hexa and Harrier. May be include the JTP twins too. Pick-up and drop as standard so that even 1-2 centres per city can cater to this segment. Servicing can be staggered: start in the morning & complete in the evening. For others, pick up in the afternoon and return the cars next day morning. Such a staggered approach can keep the drivers engaged much better. And also reduce the rush at these premium service centers. Pricing was the first part and they hit a home run with that. Now if they can get the servicing right, it can make nice sweep.
condor is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 17:08   #2996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The main concern I see is the after-sales service. People like who used to "good" servicing by the likes of Toyota, Renault or any other will expect similar service levels.
Share the same concern.

Tata's recent success with cars like Nexon, Tiago, Tigor is pulling a different class of customers used to better service experience.
And the main concern after owning a Tata car is the Big ? regarding service. If its Not upto expectations, then it becomes a Pain throughout the ownership years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
their next big strategy should have been a complete revamp of their customer touch points.

Products like the Harrier and H7X will bring in a different set of customers, and
existing TATA showrooms may not be all apt for this premium customer expectations.
The customer experience at the Showrooms is Just for a few days, and Tata has reasonably improved that forte. It is still not at Par with the leading Rivals, but its acceptable.

But the Service Centre experience is what the Customer has to GO THROUGH so many times.

There lies Tata's real threat to downfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
We just purchased a Nexon and the first day to the Service Centre was an unpleasant experience.

If you ask me, i will not buy another Tata car, even if it is a Harrier.
If someone buys a new Car and his first Visit to the Service Centre leaves a Negative impression. It is Not Good for Tata.
From first hand experience, although Tata is trying to change things, there is a LONG way to go.

The current atmosphere is still the dreaded "Taxiwala" attitude, albeit just a bit better.

Quote:
Tata Motors could look at premium service centers for Hexa and Harrier. May be include the JTP twins too. Pick-up and drop as standard so that even 1-2 centres per city can cater to this segment.
+1
Nexon would be a worthy inclusion, it is changing the whole perception of brand Tata

Quote:
Pricing was the first part and they hit a home run with that. Now if they can get the servicing right, it can make nice sweep.
This is every current Tata car owners DREAM.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th January 2019 at 22:29. Reason: Big ? Alignment corrected / minor formatting
JS Kwt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 17:30   #2997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
Share the same concern.

And the main concern after owning a Tata car is
the Big ? regarding service.

If its Not upto expectations, then it becomes a Pain throughout the ownership years.
Actually, I dont think that is the case at all. This point is being blown up. When this point is mentioned in the official reviews, there are many readers who think this is cast in stone. There are problems will most brands one way or other. Maruti is not cheap, Hyundai asks for replacements all the time, Toyota and Honda have a take-it or leave-it approach. Every brand has issues. We have seen horror stories with VW, Skoda. Luxury brands are not 100% above board either. I have had issues with Maruti A.S.S - even though I went via a reference who knew the people well enough.

We have had Tata cars for the past 18 years. It is all about building a relationship with the folks at the A.S.S.

At the T.A.S.S, the staff is again exposed to a lot of the cabbies and I have seen arguments between the sides. But with the new generation vehicles, the customers coming in are not the cabbie type, and must be treated in a different way. The approach is required from both sides. And this is why I suggest a selective approach to maintain separate service centres.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th January 2019 at 22:30. Reason: Minor formatting
condor is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 19:30   #2998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Initial reports depicted that only pre-production versions could have higher NVH. I believe that Tata has not reworked after pre-production version to curtail NVH into acceptable limits.
I dont think so.

Quote:
Does Tata provide an option to switch off the mode indication?
Not sure, but i believe it should

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Thanks Karan! Almost all your observations are pretty accurate and I found myself nodding the whole time I was reading your post.
Thanks SDP

Hope the TEAM-BHP Official Review is out soon
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 21:02   #2999
BHPian

I had the opportunity to test drive the harrier today in Whitefield, Bangalore.

Following are my personal observations.

What I liked:

+ Fit and Finish on the car I drove seemed better than most NON-Euro brands. Near Hyundai levels. For a Tata / Made in India car it's a new high.

+ Quality of interiors on the top model XZ was just a level below the luxury badges. Hyundai's interior (which is decent in built) seemed basic when compared. The seats, dash, door panel and everything you touch and see had a premium feel.

+ Refinement/NHV level was better than expected once the car got moving

+ With 5 full sized adults and AC on, the bottom and mid range seemed quite meaty. The car felt more responsive than what a 140 bhp motor pulling ~1700 KGs + 5 adults appears on paper. Third gear was able to pull from 10 kmph onwards without any perceptible lag. The "technical" representative in the dealership who accompanied on the test drive (an employee of Tata Motors) attributed this to dual mass flywheel.

+ Nimble nature of the car given it's size was a surprise as I was able to throw it around like a car. Body roll was well controlled. Suspension had a slight hint of stiffness but at no point seemed uncomfortable.

+ Striking exterior and interior design - which in person seemed more impressive. Great visibility from inside.

+ Safety aids on XZ seemed comprehensive as well as useful.

+ JBL Tuned audio is so good that it needs to be called out.

What could have been better:

- NHV at idling. The gear level had minor vibrations at idling which was unexpected. The TAMO rep said he will get it checked, as it was not expected.

- Top end of the motor was somewhat loud and harsh. In terms of power too it wasn't great. To compensate, the bottom and mid range was better than expected.

- The handbrake release action was not very intuitive

- Lack of comprehensive safety kit on lower trims, which makes XZ logically the most VFM variant despite being INR 20L+ on road in Bangalore.

Last edited by srvshaun : 26th January 2019 at 21:06. Reason: Typo correction.
srvshaun is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 22:38   #3000
BHPian

Ariel Silver colour. Picture courtesy Sachin Ghag in Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/clubharrier/?ref=share
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-fb_img_1548519005518.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-fb_img_1548519012760.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-fb_img_1548519010436.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-fb_img_1548519008130.jpg  

arif_t01 is offline   (21) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed