Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2019, 23:24   #3091
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

TataHARRIER - Calisto Copper Vs Orcus White

Both look Eye Candy!!

Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-ow1.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-ow2.jpg  

kalleo4 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 23:44   #3092
BHPian

Re: First impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Its the combination of multiple QC issues on a much hyped supposed game changer for Tata Motors on a car kept for display in a company showroom that is supposed to convince customers to part with their hard earned money!
Absolutely spot on! Media drive, showroom display and test drive cars should be as flawless as possible because these are the cars that'll convert prospects into customers. And Tata trying to climb up the "premium" ladder and in the process of overhauling its image cannot afford such misses, especially after the hype created by its marketing team!

Is it possible that the media drive cars (pre-production) were bought by the dealers at bargain prices to use as showroom display/demo cars? Could that explain the quality issues and/or deterioration of the parts highlighted?
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 01:06   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A forum is only worthwhile if there is content posted on it. If people don't post their perspectives and findings, this would be like most other forums in India. Dead. And then nobody learns and benefits. Would you suggest as Team BHPians, we find issues in cars and keep quiet about it?

I fail to see your perspective here, so maybe you can help me understand. You suggest that you could hypothetically deceive fellow TBHPians (and non TBHPian readers) by willingly showing incorrect photos of a car and you compare that hypotethical situation to actual observations made by TBHPians in showrooms across the country under the watchful eye of the company salespeople?

I don't recall anyone stating that. The questions that I saw were related to inconsistent quality output from an automated process. Now if an automated process cannot deliver on higher output, then certainly TBHPians will be curious as to the reasons. If other auto manufacturers can improve quality levels with automation, why cant Tata?
Yes a forum is intended to post some content on it. We have contents on many manufacturers here and i do read through all of them. I am not suggesting anyone not to post here.

Since you fail to see my perspective here let me explain - I am not being hypothetical nor intend to deceive anyone, i just want to say that the soft fibre linings etc when pulled on any car flexes, its not just TATA and hence i can show the same on my car or any other car. After reading continuous panel gap posts here i started my observations on other cars here in USA. Big Suvs have more gaps, bigger tolerances (intended) while some hatches and sedans have tight ones. Hence i did mention i can post the photos of panel gaps on many other brands too which clearly have inconsistencies. Now again i don't mean to say that TATA or Mahindra should also have these, but these are inherent.

While you speak about automated processes etc get into the depth of how BIW is manufactured too. The doors, bonnet and boot is not welded onto the main body. Its bolted onto the hinges and the lock, striker and rubber stoppers are used to adjust the gaps and the way it fits. So lets excuse the robotic welding assembly lines here.

Having said that i do agree that humans should check every car with the panel gauges they have on the assembly lines and try to adjust to the best possible tolerances and specifications.

My observation is very much inline with @tushky, somehow i feel since its TATA we are being critical. I feel if we start looking at other side of the coin too readers / prospective buyers will be benefited.

TATA and the showrooms should take utmost care and a daily review of the display cars to take out inconsistencies as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Absolutely spot on! Media drive, showroom display and test drive cars should be as flawless as possible because these are the cars that'll convert prospects into customers. And Tata trying to climb up the "premium" ladder and in the process of overhauling its image cannot afford such misses, especially after the hype created by its marketing team!

Is it possible that the media drive cars (pre-production) were bought by the dealers at bargain prices to use as showroom display/demo cars? Could that explain the quality issues and/or deterioration of the parts highlighted?
True, they should keep the cars clean and defect free. Infact the media cars are handled by special teams and reviewed after every test drive. Media cars are sometimes abused.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st January 2019 at 06:48. Reason: Formatting and spacing
amit_mechengg is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 01:23   #3094
BHPian

Went to Hartron Gurgaon showroom to see the Tata Harrier today. Car looks amazing in flesh but the showroom experience was terrible ! Firstly no one could find the key for the Harrier so we were waiting for 20 minutes to get in. When they finally got it we experienced the interior which was overwhelmingly good considering the segment. We spent a good 30-40 minutes in the showroom - and NO ONE approached us to show even the basic features of the car. If I'm spending 17 big ones , I expect to be treated better ! Not done TATA
JishD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 10:45   #3095
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Went to Hartron Gurgaon showroom to see the Tata Harrier today. Car looks amazing in flesh but the showroom experience was terrible ! Firstly no one could find the key for the Harrier so we were waiting for 20 minutes to get in. When they finally got it we experienced the interior which was overwhelmingly good considering the segment. We spent a good 30-40 minutes in the showroom - and NO ONE approached us to show even the basic features of the car. If I'm spending 17 big ones , I expect to be treated better ! Not done TATA

I had exactly a opposite experience when I visited the TATA shwroom in Bangalore yesterday. They explained more than what we wanted to see.
Even we sat in TD vehicle and the sales person was explaining many other feature and function. The car was amazing ! TATA did a nice job. They also offered for TD but we didn't had time.

arin_12 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 11:14   #3096
Distinguished - BHPian

Context is king, so let me share some thoughts before I continue with posting on this thread so fellow readers can judge themselves if there is a bias against Tata or not, at least from my side as a TBHPian. My family owned a Tata Indica V2 and honestly, it was a pile of junk and we were glad to sell the car off and move on to better engineered products from other manufacturers. My family currently owns hatchbacks from Maruti, Ford, Fiat, Tata and Honda. Despite this sour experience with the Indica V2, my wife and I nearly bought a top of the line Tata Hexa automatic in 2018 because we believed it was a well engineered product and worth the Rs 20L price. Between the Tiago, Tigor, Nexon and Hexa, I strongly believe Tata has the best products in their respective segments and have been recommending them to others over the last year or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I just went down and did similar things on my Dodge charger, pulled out the soft trim lining and took a photo, pulled out a plastic trim and took a photo , can i claim its a QA issue ?
Quote:
Since you fail to see my perspective here let me explain - I am not being hypothetical nor intend to deceive anyone, i just want to say that the soft fibre linings etc when pulled on any car flexes, its not just TATA and hence i can show the same on my car or any other car.
Reading your statements, what I understood is, you could go down to your car, pull out / remove say a wheel lug or a headlight or a plastic trim, take a photo, and then say it is a quality issue. However, the posts in this thread are merely observations of Rs 20L cars kept for display in a company showroom. Nobody is pulling out anything or removing anything from a Harrier and claiming poor quality. That's the big difference.

Quote:
Having said that i do agree that humans should check every car with the panel gauges they have on the assembly lines and try to adjust to the best possible tolerances and specifications.
Quote:
TATA and the showrooms should take utmost care and a daily review of the display cars to take out inconsistencies as much as possible.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st February 2019 at 09:36. Reason: Quoted post edited and cleared
neil.jericho is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 11:45   #3097
BHPian

Went for a TD of the Harrier yesterday. I had booked the car in advance, and hence the TD was a long one. The car on display had no inconsistencies when it came to fit and finish, panel gaps etc. However, I too observed that the ORVM's do create a blind spot. They are simply too huge (maybe it helps in building road presence). Also, the NVH though not bad, was a bit below the benchmark set by the Hexa for Tata motors.
Anyways, I had booked the Harrier just as an option to the Hexa, but after the test drive yesterday, have decided to go for the Hexa XT 4X4. The Hexa is just better at the end of the day on many fronts (NVH, driver seating position, space), while the Harrier is good at some other things (more modern design, more creature comforts that people expect) etc. I only hope now that I can get a XT 4X4 with the dual exhaust tips (stupid feature deletions from TaMo)
AdiSolEn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 11:58   #3098
BHPian

Had a look at the harrier when i had gone to the service center for my Hexa. The car surely has good presence but somehow, the side profile didn't impress me. Really loved the rear look of the car.
Coming to the front, looking at the huge fog lamps on the creta and ecosport, it'll take less time for the Indians to get used to the Harrier's placement of headlamps.

Speaking of panel gaps, it really isn't fair pointing out the rear tail lamp cluster. Hexa has the same if not more gap in its tail light cluster between the body and the boot door.
Shutlines are consistent though a bit bigger but i didn't observe any inconsistencies and this is what matters. Interiors are pretty premium but i like the support provided by the seats in my Hexa than the ones in Harrier. Infotainment looks classy but it would have been great if maps or directions could have been replicated on the screen within the instrument cluster as well.
Overall a very nice product that makes the Hexa look VFM but will definitely sell comparatively more. However i don't see folks who are risk-averse in nature going for this and instead settling for Creta which the Harrier makes it look a segment below. Looks like TATA needs a few more years to gain confidence.

Speaking of after sales service, these 2 years with my Hexa has been very pleasant and the service guys have been very very cooperative. So much so that when my car stalled on the highway (due to rat having a go at the fuel pipe), i had to get the car towed which costed 10k. 2 months later, i get a cheque for the same amount from TATA, no questions asked. Am damn sure none of the other brands would have given me the kind of attention that i now get from TATA Motors. AMC is a boon and maintaining this baby i guess, is cheaper than my santro!
abhi7013 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 12:18   #3099
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to showcase the differences between the cars you mentioned as compared to the Tata Harrier. On close observation, with my untrained eye, I feel the gap in the Harrier is a lot more (even if it is intentional), as compared to the pictures you have shown. Maybe I need to check those cars in person to notice the differences.

Also, is you see my response to tushyk, its not just one issue or two. Its the combination of multiple QC issues on a much hyped supposed game changer for Tata Motors on a car kept for display in a company showroom that is supposed to convince customers to part with their hard earned money! None of us are drawing conclusions on the supposed quality levels of the Harrier by peeking through the window of a test mule spotted in a roadside dhaba.

Well, many of the observations you have made are similar to what I had made and the reaction to the same from forum members has also been similar. Team bhp is getting full of such people ready to ridicule and react with vitriol and pounce on anyone with criticism about any new vehicle. I wonder if marketing people from car companies are corrupting the forum. As we all know the car magazines are already corrupt and it's very possible the same is occurring here too. I strongly suggest any serious buyer spend time and examine each of the points raised for themselves before putting down the big ones.

Last edited by aah78 : 31st January 2019 at 18:32. Reason: Avoid quoting large posts entirely please. Post spacing fixed.
mxh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 12:21   #3100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Infotainment looks classy but it would have been great if maps or directions could have been replicated on the screen within the instrument cluster as well.
I think it does. See this picture.

Name:  Instrument_cluster.png
Views: 4487
Size:  164.6 KB

source
nainan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 12:27   #3101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post

Attachment 1843452

source
Oh man, so it does give navigation directions! Didn't know this and thanks for sharing. Now for the next stage of my expectations: how about a nice widget for a graphic view of the google maps? Too much to ask for the car's price i should say! But looking at the kind of expectations on this thread with regards to TATA, it should be ok with me having this wish!

Ps: that little kink in the needle on the speedo looks sweet!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 31st January 2019 at 12:29.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 12:28   #3102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post

Attachment 1843452

source
Did anyone notice the ODO counter reading?
2.5 Lakhs+ KM
Must be one of the TML's test mules.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 12:49   #3103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Many people are highlighting this section of Harrier that there is a inconsistency in the lines from top to bottom.
Absolutely right. Just to add on, the rear wheel in compass is not in the center of the wheel arch. Even my little son could spot it, the difference is huge. I wonder how Jeep guys could miss it ? It's a much bigger flaw than panel gaps in Tata, or I must say serious design flaws in Compass?

Last edited by aah78 : 31st January 2019 at 18:34. Reason: Post fixed.
veyron-w16 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 13:14   #3104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Did anyone notice the ODO counter reading?
2.5 Lakhs+ KM
Must be one of the TML's test mules.
Most probably a photoshoped picture and the graphic designer doesn't know the significance of the number.
Edit: Look at the speedo, doing 80 kmph while taking a studio quality photo

Last edited by Guna : 31st January 2019 at 13:15.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 13:51   #3105
BHPian

Instead of Tata logo having text logo on the front grill makes this vehicle look so bullish. Found this rendition online (credit due to rightful owner).
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-capture.jpg  

Thilak29 is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks