Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2019, 00:46   #3781
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Wow this Sugar Honey Iced Tea hit the fan real fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Weird of you to post this as I've just received an email from a Gaurav Sharma who works @ Nokia. He's written to Tata Motors + Guenter Butschek + Mayank Pareek (and copied us on it). In the email chain, Tata Motors have also acknowledged some of his problems (e.g. overheating & radiator leak). Further, he's captured everything on video.

All this in a one month old car . I can only imagine what the long-term reliability of Gaurav's Harrier will be
For a moment I thought you were referring to the one I posted about. Honestly, I went over to those guys and had a word. Since it was late last night I didn't post about it. I was not allowed to take any further pictures. I saw that the electricals of the car was working fine (puddle lamps, interior lights, headlamps, hazard lights). Door lock/unlock was working too (with the request sensor). I am not 100% certain, but I think I heard the engine on for a few minutes too. I politely spoke to the guys there... the guy in charge was from a Tata dealership and his answer was ... "Delivery ke liye gaadi hai... (Pointing to the garland at the front) ... humko bola chalaneka nahi hai ..."
That's all I could get out of them.
In your opinion, could there be any truth in this? Would someone who bought a 20 lakh SUV want it delivered on a flat bed?
P.S.: There is a new Tata Dealership 3.5 kms away from where I saw this Harrier.

My heart really goes out to Gaurav. Is the Harrier made at the same plant as the Compass? I remember some Compass that had such major issues straight out of the showroom. A broken axle was it? & another one with such a radiator issue? Hence asking... Also, remember we have witnessed 2 Harriers crashed by dealerships AND I had also brought up the issue of pre-production Harriers. I sincerely hope the dealership hasn't sold Gaurav one of those!

If possible, please do update us all w.r.t TML's reaction on this. (Just like the Hexa thread and the customer who was manhandled(?) in Gurgaon)

I am fully with you on waiting till 2020 for the Harrier + Cassini + their AT versions. Remember the Zest & Bolt that ran 50,000 kms non-stop ... I don't recall seeing such testing for the Harrier. Even the new LR Defender is being pushed to the limits... they DEFINITELY need time to sort some things out. I have been told a software update released last week has sorted out most of the glitches regarding the central touchscreen unit. I am trying to verify it personally...

What worries me or rather what I hope TML reads this and learns and employs a special 10 member testing team or a customer preview department before launching their 'connected' cars with those BSNL sims and Hyundai Venue like features. That's a whole different ball game and if this is what is happening to touchscreens, I shudder to think what will those 'apps' be like! They better pull up themselves and make some heads roll ... NOW !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
After driving the Harrier last week along with you, I agree to this completely.

The thing is the Harrier has good underpinnings and basic engineering. Just that they just weren't able to bring everything together in time and still went ahead with it.

It's like they had the right ingredients, the right chef but instead of cooking it in a fine dining fashion they chose to make it at a fast food chain like McDonald's.

With these type of issues cropping in a month, the long term is seriously a massive gamble and risk.

These experiences basically undo all the years of hardwork they put in with the Nexon and Hexa.
I was just about to respond above with this food related quip... but it seems more in sync with what you have mentioned here...
I always felt that this khichadi of a LR platform, Fiat engine, Hyundai GB (not yet released I know), Tata parts, JBL(?) software... is the exact opposite of 'too many cooks spoil the broth'... it's like too many ingredients and only one chef! Someone has to take serious responsibility to ensure all these ingredients come together and work in a way that compliments each other and makes the overall experience worthwhile.

Kuch khaane ke cheezein dheemi aanch pe hi pakai jaati hai. Somethings have to take their time. Be tested(tasted?). Like the guy in Toy Story 2 says ... you can't rush art!
I guess their marketing team was eager to get here before MG & Hyundai Venue or maybe they got over-excited looking at the impatience of BHPians who were drooling on scoop after scoop and yelling on the threads... when is it coming! By now, TML should know, you can not please all enthusiasts, all the time... take your time. But do it right.

Can we please include Tiago along with the Hexa and Nexon? Pretty please? It has been selling well and it's actually the one that started the revival. Solid built, almost no known major issues - then followed by Hexa and Nexon carrying it forward, such that Tata was actually trying to change that mindset of 'Buy a Tata car only after 1 year or V2' by deleting features and making customers feel they should 'rush' to buy the cars early on. Alas... that buck stops here. Tata ... stop deleting features and get back to setting new benchmarks and pushing the envelope like you did with Tiago, Hexa and Nexon ... I feel the intent is there, the execution needs a little bit more.

Like GTO said - 15% lacking. I feel, they will have begun sorting 5% after reading TeamBHP, and another 5% they would already be working on for Buzzard/Cassini. The remainder 5% ... we may never get.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 09:50   #3782
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Tata HARRIER Detailed Review..

with details such as Service costs,Quality, Refinement,Finish & Comparison with key rivals XUV500, Jeep Compass
Old 5th May 2019, 10:10   #3783
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
the guy in charge was from a Tata dealership and his answer was ... "Delivery ke liye gaadi hai... (Pointing to the garland at the front) ... humko bola chalaneka nahi hai ..."
Possible, lot of guys prefer delivery at home/ office.

Quote:

All this in a one month old car . I can only imagine what the long-term reliability of Gaurav's Harrier will be
I am not surprised, with TATA/ JLR anything is possible. I clearly remember having personally seen multiple issues on the new RR Sports relating to Audio/ MMI interface on almost all the cars from a batch in Canada last year.

And a friend sent this picture recently from a month old top of the line RR Vogue, incidentally, laser headlights had gone kaput a week earlier
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20190505-10.19.50-am.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th May 2019 at 10:22.
Turbanator is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 13:52   #3784
BHPian

I have been following this thread very closely. It makes me sad reading this. Are the lackings so obvious that even common folks like us are picking them up. Or rather they are so glaringly obvious to be picked up by us. We can make such disheartening statements but if gto and vid are saying these ( and they do a lot of research before commenting) then it simply leaves me heartbroken to see harrier and tml falter like this. I was hoping for harrier to be my next car and was awaiting review. But if senior guys of this forum feel so then probably I would look elsewhere. And does this leave us with only 2 reliable products( Innova crysta and hexa) in this price bracket. Xuv too troubles us but sadly there are no other contenders.
knrn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 14:04   #3785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
And does this leave us with only 2 reliable products( Innova crysta and hexa) in this price bracket. Xuv too troubles us but sadly there are no other contenders.
Yup. You're absolutely right. Those two are the only choices for someone who wants to buy in this segment now. I test drove the Crysta yesterday followed by a badly maintained, 200k km on the odo Hexa. And am again test driving a new Hexa in the next half hour. Let's see how that goes.
rovingeye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 14:22   #3786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Yup. You're absolutely right. Those two are the only choices for someone who wants to buy in this segment now. I test drove the Crysta yesterday followed by a badly maintained, 200k km on the odo Hexa. And am again test driving a new Hexa in the next half hour. Let's see how that goes.

Do share your experience. I have test driven all three. One can't go wrong with the Innova. That's for sure but to get a decent kit it goes upward of twenty lacs(22 lacs in Jalandhar for model v). Hexa has all the niceties but Innova has better drivability. Harrier initially seemed to tick all the boxes lookswise, performance wise and in features. But the way things are going I feel that even though harrier set people's pulses racing it will be some time till it actually delivers.
knrn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 15:13   #3787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
I test drove the Crysta yesterday followed by a badly maintained, 200k km on the odo Hexa.
200k? Would love to know what it felt like with respect to the new one you drove.
damodar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 09:21   #3788
BHPian

Quote:

Aditya is currently shooting some parts of the orange Harrier and we'll be starting the proof-reading of the first draft later this week. Expect it to be up in May!
When should we expect the official review to be published. Eagerly waiting for the review and insights.
Old 6th May 2019, 12:14   #3789
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
When should we expect the official review to be published. Eagerly waiting for the review and insights.
If all goes as planned, I'd say that the Official Review should be up in 2 - 3 weeks. I'm working through my 15 page checklist (was 25 pages earlier ).
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 12:21   #3790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the Harrier made at the same plant as the Compass? I remember some Compass that had such major issues straight out of the showroom. A broken axle was it? & another one with such a radiator issue? Hence asking.

Its Compass and Nexon which shares the same production line, not Harrier.
arun_josie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 12:21   #3791
BHPian

I hope they have ironed out the niggles beforehand beacause nothing escapes scrutiny here. Looking forward to yet another excellent review.
Old 6th May 2019, 15:32   #3792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Its Compass and Nexon which shares the same production line, not Harrier.
Thank you for the clarity. Wonder what the problem is then!
Any further updates on the Harrier I posted? Does Tata offer flat-bed delivery?
Old 6th May 2019, 15:54   #3793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does Tata offer flat-bed delivery?
I don't think Tata has any policy w.r.t deliveries, at least none that I've read on their website. It would depend on and differ from dealer to dealer. However, the few vehicles that I've seen home delivered (non-Tata) have been driven down, not flat bedded.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 6th May 2019, 21:49   #3794
BHPian

We were almost on the verge of booking the Harrier when just yesterday it was called off. As a replacement for dad's Duster, the Harrier seemed like a viable option. But then I came across many issues present owners have been facing on this forum and on WhatsApp that were mainly related to QC.

Though I personally don't mind the notchy gears, a few missing features here and there (the Harrier looses on some but gains on others) or the audible engine that shouts and screams when revved hard, the main reason for choosing the Harrier was due to the fact that it is a full sized SUV, the safety it offers and coming from a Duster, the Harrier is the only SUV that impressed me as much as the Duster did on the ride and handling combo.

But now since the Harrier plan has been called off, we are primarily considering the Creta and the Compass though the top diesel manual is a bit out of budget. Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 6th May 2019 at 21:57.
Old 6th May 2019, 22:33   #3795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer02 View Post
But now since the Harrier plan has been called off, we are primarily considering the Creta and the Compass though the top diesel manual is a bit out of budget. Suggestions are welcome.
I'd suggest you wait for the Honda HR-V to be launched. It seems to be a promising package with probably the best of everything (for you). Smooth engine, check! Plush interiors, check! Compactness, check!

Cheers!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks