Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2018, 22:26   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs

CR-V has its share of loyalists, but pricing will be key for the wider market. Button based autobox seems like an ergonomic disaster at first view, but I'll wait for drive reports to form an opinion.

It appears the basement chap with an abrasive rag and black liquid of indeterminate origin in a rusty bucket was on cleaning duty for Honda.

The swirls on that paint job, under spotlights no less, at a premier auto show!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th February 2018 at 22:29.
Old 8th February 2018, 23:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Is it only the diesel which would have the button based shifters ? Some markets seem to get a shift lever too. Frankly, I prefer the lever over the buttons, but thats just me being old school.

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-20182019hondacrvinteriormotortrend.com_.jpg
sajo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 03:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Why is Honda giving us the 2.4l when there is a modern 1.5l Turbo petrol available in the International market? Not that this really matters as we are a diesel market in this segment. When you are bringing in the latest and greatest, might as well offer new engines too.

Pricing will most definitely be key to the success of the CR-V. Apart from the electronic instrument cluster and reworked dashboard, there is nothing luxurious about the CR-V. Typical of Honda, practicality takes precedence over anything else.
Old 9th February 2018, 09:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

While I’m very impressed with the 2018 CRV and the kit it offers, I have my doubt if the version displayed is the same one they will bring here.

This seems like the top of the line version since it has a blind spot camera hence the absence of a sunroof is suspicious. Especially since other markets have a panaromic roof on offer! This would defiantly appeal immensely to Indians. Secondly, a black Honda almost always has beige leather interiors which is another favourite colour in our market that Honda knows. Lastly, the gear lever, while I love the buttons most people won’t as heard here too.

An international review also did mention that the AWD version would not have the third row but the version displayed has a AWD badge and 7 seats. Again seems suspicious.

I was hoping Honda will launch the CRV in the next 3 months so I can finally replace my fortuner but Motoroid website now claims a 2019 launch! Don’t think I’ll wait that long, hope Honda pulls up its socks!!
Old 9th February 2018, 09:57   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I was hoping Honda will launch the CRV in the next 3 months so I can finally replace my fortuner but Motoroid website now claims a 2019 launch! Don’t think I’ll wait that long, hope Honda pulls up its socks!!
Oh that's news to me. I was under the impression this is a mid 2018 launch.

I'm just curious, with Euro 6 coming in 2020, wonder whether they will launch a Euro Vi compliant car if its as late a launch as 2019 or simply launch it and update in 2020. To me, the former makes a lot more sense. A brand new launch in 2019 will hopefully be Euro VI compliant already.
Old 9th February 2018, 10:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Will this be equipped with an AWD and any guesstimates on prices?
One of the first pictures shows an AWD badging. So I guess its coming with AWD. Don't know about the pricing though

AWD Image In first Post
Old 9th February 2018, 11:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Out here in Australia, the CRV is perhaps the ugliest in the segment which has lookers like the awesome new Mazda CX-5, VW Tiguan, Hyundai Tuscon etc. Looks aside the CRV is a winner as its practical efficient and roomy.
Old 9th February 2018, 11:17   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Oh that's news to me. I was under the impression this is a mid 2018 launch.
That's what I thought and hope too. Fingers crossed.
You never know with the Indian auto websites, they are usually not accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Out here in Australia, the CRV is perhaps the ugliest in the segment which has lookers like the awesome new Mazda CX-5, VW Tiguan, Hyundai Tuscon etc.
Looks are really subjective. I frankly think the CRV, especially the front end, looks great with the LEDs turned on!
The VW Tiguan I think is the most boring and quintessentially plain jane.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 12:02   #24
BHPian

I came away thoroughly impressed with the CR-V when I checked it out yesterday. It looks really good especially in black and I personally like the rear end styling. The interior felt really premium, much better than the Tucson and Fortuner.

I spoke to a few dealers and they said that the CR-V will definitely be priced above the Tucson but below the Fortuner. I expect it to be priced bang against the Tiguan.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 12:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
• The 1.6L diesel is from Honda's 'Earth Dreams' range. It's a 4-cylinder twin-scroll turbo engine putting out 158 BHP and 350 Nm of torque.
Are you sure it is a twin scroll turbo setup?

I always thought that it was a twin-turbo setup. That's what the specs seem to say as 160 HP from a single turbo 1.6 diesel seems unlikely.

The angle of the engine bay pic makes it difficult to check details.

PS Reports on the web say that it is twin-turbo.

Last edited by theredliner : 9th February 2018 at 12:24.
Old 9th February 2018, 12:45   #26
BHPian

The third row seems impractical. I agree with everyone who has commented on the exterior, the earlier gen had a cleaner, nicer look. And what's with Japanese and sunroofs. I wasn't a big fan of the previous strip types but the panoramic ones have added significant value to in-car experience and long distance cruising. My brother's Superb has been a huge hit with my kid and wife. For me no sunroof is a deal breaker.
Old 9th February 2018, 13:27   #27
BHPian

No Gear Shifter??

Imagine you are in traffic and going D->N->D

Drive Neutral Drive -

Pressing buttons will be so severely messed up. There are some phenomenal designs for gear shifters - wonder why this silly move! Maybe for uniqueness?
Old 9th February 2018, 16:27   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
No Gear Shifter??

Imagine you are in traffic and going D->N->D

Drive Neutral Drive -
Why would you do that?! All you got to do is push drive(or reverse) and straight to park. In traffic, you can either keep your foot on the brake or use the auto hold function that works very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
I expect it to be priced bang against the Tiguan.
Tiguan has flopped at because of it's pricing but the CRV offers better value in most way(besides the panoramic roof, hope they get that in) hence it should sell well even if priced at par. However, Honda should perhaps try and undercut the Tiguan by maybe a lakh to really see volumes flow in.
Old 9th February 2018, 16:49   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

Tiguan has flopped at because of it's pricing but the CRV offers better value in most way(besides the panoramic roof, hope they get that in) hence it should sell well even if priced at par. However, Honda should perhaps try and undercut the Tiguan by maybe a lakh to really see volumes flow in.

I hope you are right but Honda will likely see itself as offering a product that is more comparable to the kodiaq and therefore may well benchmark its pricing to the latter. Or if anything between the two and not try to undercut the Tiguan per se.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 17:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
This is a move that solves no problem but certainly creates some new ones. It is easier to move the shifter than to look and press couple of buttons.
in practice, it is not a problem at all. come to think of it - for each of those shifts, you have stop anyway. Drive->Park / Drive -> Reverse. Drive mode has a sport too and that's about it. Nobody changes from Drive-> sport mid-drive. some could though but thats where muscle memory and instinct will work.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed