Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2018, 19:53   #136
Team-BHP Support

I was really surprised at the overdrive first review by bob Rupani on their website. Didn't make any remarks on the engine at all like what ACI did at least. Sounded more like a advertisement with specs outlined.
Old 18th August 2018, 20:28   #137
BHPian

Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Let's be fair to admit that the 120 bhp, 300 NM 1.6 diesel would just be adequate and nothing more than that in the big CRV. The same engine in the Civic(that weighs lesser) is not a tarmac scorcher, as per the reviews. But the highlight of the 1.6 IDTEC just like the 1.5 IDTEC is it's drive-ability and linear nature which wouldn't have any power spike but would be EASY to drive.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 23:09   #138
BHPian

Find it very surprising no auto journo has the guts to say out loud that the 120 BHP is underpowered Honda on video . Even Hormazd was being diplomatic about it and saying yes it needs 20-30 bhp more but not pounding it down . Spend 40 lacs and get 120 BHP ? Honda has lost credibility .
M00M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 23:26   #139
Team-BHP Support

re: The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I think the City sold in other markets has the 1.6 engine like in the CR-V and that motor has a turbocharger. Now turbochargers improve NVH considerably. So maybe that's the reason the international City's don't have the NVH issue.
I guess you have confused a little bit here. Every diesel engine now has a turbocharger - the last NA diesel engines used in private vehicles was for the Indica. Not possible to meet current emission norms without it.

The 1.5 iDTec is also a turbocharged diesel engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
City doesn't qualify for lower tax rates anyways as it is longer than 4M.
Lower tax rates are applicable only if the length is <4M and engines of <1.2L for petrol and <1.5L for diesels.
Not really. There are three tax slabs even after GST was formed.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/auto....ed-1748188/amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Find it very surprising no auto journo has the guts to say out loud that the 120 BHP is underpowered Honda on video .
That case they lose an all expense paid invite to Phillipines for the next launch. Not to mention advertisement revenue, which is the real income source for these magazines.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 01:20   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

That case they lose an all expense paid invite to Phillipines for the next launch. Not to mention advertisement revenue, which is the real income source for these magazines.
As much as we expose the car mags, have to mention that ACI does a lot of these international drives on their own.

You will see many such drives by ACI where they travel to an international country where the car coming to India is sold and drive it there for a early preview.

These are not Honda paid drives for sure. Honda would never agree for such reviews as the car won't resemble the indian version. Only exception is showcase of technology.

ACI does this from own pocket to get early review advantage which ofcourse will result in ad revenues.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 08:41   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
These are not Honda paid drives for sure. Honda would never agree for such reviews as the car won't resemble the indian version. Only exception is showcase of technology.

ACI does this from own pocket to get early review advantage which ofcourse will result in ad revenues.
I'm not convinced. Sorry.

Car&Bike has come out with their review too. Looks like the same hotel and premises again, as the ACI review.

Zee Business is at Phillipines too, for the CRV review -

Can't be a co-incidence that three media reviews of the exact same spec are out from Philippines on the same day. Has to be a paid for foreign location media preview.

Possible that only the video channels were invited, to create a buzz before the Indian launch? Because I'm guessing from your words that Team-Bhp isn't invited.

PS - I get that ACI does a lot of exclusive reviews on their own. The new Ertiga preview for example, seems to have been done only by them. But can't seem to believe thats the case here. They had done this earlier for the new Innova and Fortuner as well. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Edit - As per twitter posts - Carwale, Evo India, TopgearIndia are all at Phillipines for the CRV preview. This is so NOT an Autocar exclusive. Reviews should come out from these channels also soon.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th August 2018 at 09:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 09:32   #142
BHPian

Quote:

Can't be a co-incidence that three media reviews of the exact same spec are out from Philippines on the same day. Has to be a paid for foreign location media preview.
This is a definitely a media drive organized by Honda themselves. That said, ACI had reviewed the CR-V diesel before (in Thailand?).
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-405931

I actually even found the latest review from Philippines quite unbiased. They highlight the car's strengths, while also admitting that it doesn't provide enough bang for the buck.

Getting back to the car, pricing is critical for this one. IMO it'll be a hit if priced alongside the Tucson, a moderate success alongside the Tiguan, but a flop if priced against the Kodiaq.
Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 11:18   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
This is a definitely a media drive organized by Honda themselves.
Absolutely. Here are some more images, courtesy Twitter -

Carwale -
The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-img_20180819_094836.jpg

Evo India -

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-img_20180819_094801.jpg

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-img_20180819_094757.jpg

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-img_20180819_094754.jpg

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-img_20180819_094747.jpg

CarWale -

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-img_20180819_094740.jpg

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-img_20180819_094735.jpg

Evo India - (We will not be getting this cool digital speedo. It's for the 160hp twin turbo diesel).

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-img_20180819_094720.jpg

Top Gear India -

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-img_20180819_094619.jpg

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-img_20180819_094612.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
IMO it'll be a hit if priced alongside the Tucson, a moderate success alongside the Tiguan, but a flop if priced against the Kodiaq.
Here's a spec comparison from ACI -

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...mpression=true

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th August 2018 at 11:21.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 11:53   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel that Honda has taken a conscious call to pair the 120bhp engine with an auto box and deliver higher mileage . An auto box with higher power variant would be much more expensive and also possibly prone to failures like the VW Dsg boxes. Even on the diesel Amaze Honda detuned the 1.5 engine to prevent damage to the auto box. I only hope that Honda also offer the higher power 1.6 engine with a manual box which will then keep enthusiasts like us happy! Possibly they could do this is in an AWD manual variant and launch it at sub 30 lacs ex showroom. That would also please many people who want a 4*4 but don't need a bulky ladder on frame SUV.
The lower powered auto version would keep city dwellers happy and the higher powered AWD version in manual would keep enthusiasts happy! But this is entirely my thought process and I doubt anyone from Honda would be listening!
That said (and having owned a Honda Civic earlier!) A Honda without enough power just isn't a Honda!!😁

Last edited by Behemoth : 19th August 2018 at 11:56.
Old 19th August 2018, 12:42   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I feel that Honda has taken a conscious call to pair the 120bhp engine with an auto box and deliver higher mileage
Reason as per ACI is that Honda revealed to them the 160hp is around 1.5L more expensive in the Indian context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
An auto box with higher power variant would be much more expensive and also possibly prone to failures like the VW Dsg boxes.
In other markets like UK, the 120hp variant is only for the entry level 2WD manual version. Automatic and 4WD options are available only with the 160hp variant.

Since the journalists were invited to Philippines - we might get similar options as them. So the 2.0 Petrol might come with a 7 step CVT, whereas the 1.6 120hp diesel might come with a 9AT and 9 AWD AT configuration.
Old 19th August 2018, 21:32   #146
BHPian

You know what the impression I’m getting from Honda India these days ?
It’s that of a company run by people who has ZERO passion for the cars they are selling or business they are doing. All they want is to do just enough , just the bare minimum enough to get a model here and then sit back and count the cash, nothing more nothing less.

The d segment buyers are in a conundrum. Their choices are limited to Skoda and VW, pioneers of horror filled ownership experience and Toyota, king of Blandville. There is a real market gap for a car that is premium but which is not a ticking time bomb nor a snoozefest. How can Honda not see this?
The new CRV in my eyes is lame. 120 bhp for 35 lakhs plus is a joke. 2.0 na engine is ancient. Where is the 1.5 turbo petrol ?Now I saw in an earlier post, we won’t even get the cool digital display . What’s the point of bringing this here? Honestly I would just cross my fingers and get the Tiguan or kodiaq.
nakul0888 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 07:11   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda in India is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Our market for larger cars is diesel dominated - and Honda does not have the scale to produce its more powerful diesel at a competitive price. Also I suspect they may have concerns about reliability of the twin turbo in Indian conditions.

Another issue is that the Hondas are designed for the US market - where people still want large NA petrols or hybrids, and the segment that buys Hondas does not care for interior quality. So they can’t just bring a car down and sell it here - they need to upgrade interiors to have a chance to compete.

Hence there is no point trying to compete at the top of the market. Let’s see where they price the CR V - at the Tucson level, there will be chauffeur driven folks who would buy it just for the reliability.
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 10:25   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm not convinced. Sorry.

Car&Bike has come out with their review too. Looks like the same hotel and premises again, as the ACI review.
Ok in this case I agree. I was giving the benefit of doubt to ACI since they have travelled on their own for exclusive reviews in the past. That I am sure.

Ofcourse it does not seem to be the case here with the CR-V.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 10:33   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reason as per ACI is that Honda revealed to them the 160hp is around 1.5L more expensive in the Indian context.
For a person who is spending close to 40 lakhs, does additional 1.5 L matter? When he knows that he is getting an engine which has 40 extra horses?
Guna is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 12:25   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
For a person who is spending close to 40 lakhs, does additional 1.5 L matter? When he knows that he is getting an engine which has 40 extra horses?
Also the 160 bhp tune would have given the owner some bragging rights as well, it being a twin turbo
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks