Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2018, 13:09   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
How much weight do you think will those 2 extra seats add to the car? Negligible.

If the petrol 7 seater is a fuel guzzler, so will be the 5 seater.
It's the buyer profile that changes, urban petrol SUV buyers don't care about running costs and the CRV had quite a following. Their primary concern is reliability and refinement, low running means that fuel costs don't pinch. Airport runs are also easy like Sahil has mentioned.

Diesel tends to be used for hauling more passengers and Honda had wisely provided the extra seats.
Old 16th September 2018, 13:53   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Of course, as always it’s only after the TBHP review and a test drive will I put the full payment down.
Will this also come before Diwali?
Old 17th September 2018, 10:50   #183
BHPian

Some excerpts from the Zigwheels review -

Quote:
There is a sense of Euro premiumness to the CR-V, which means its design is understated and has an air of quality. The faux wood trim on the door pads, the grain of the leather and the simple piano black strip that streaks across the dash are subtle but handsome touches.
Quote:
While its 120PS of power and 300Nm of torque are lower than the competition, the 9-speed automatic bridges the gap. Be it for commuting or or cruising on the highway, the CR-V diesel capable and relaxed. However, if you hurry it, the gearbox, related to the ZF unit used in the Range Rover Evoque, feels a bit slower than you’d expect it to respond.
Quote:
The all-wheel drive is brilliant to throw around some corners. Then there is the torque-vectoring, which makes the CR-V turn almost impossibly well, even on loose surfaces!
Quote:
Its cabin is calm and relaxing to be in, for instance in the way it cuts out the noise outside on Indian roads. Simply, the CR-V just glides over bad patches. At highway speeds, broken sections seem to melt away and big bumps are padded over gracefully. It is only at lower city speeds that some stiffness can be felt over broken roads.
Quote:
If you want a CR-V that handles, the diesel AWD would be the one to go for. As a taller occupant intending to spend time in the backseat the added headroom of the petrol CR-V would be welcome. And if you want the peppiest pick, the diesel 2WD would be the right fit. All these variants offer you a premium in-cabin experience and a rather extensive feature list too. Prices for the CR-V will be announced in the second week of October, and if priced in the Rs 26 lakh - 28 lakh range, would make this Honda a very tempting pick once again.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 17th September 2018 at 10:52.
Aaron:) is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 21:29   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

PowerDrift's review of the CR-V,

volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 06:53   #185
Senior - BHPian

Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
It's the buyer profile that changes, urban petrol SUV buyers don't care about running costs and the CRV had quite a following. Their primary concern is reliability and refinement, low running means that fuel costs don't pinch. Airport runs are also easy like Sahil has mentioned.

Diesel tends to be used for hauling more passengers and Honda had wisely provided the extra seats.

When I initially heard about the 7 seats in diesel And 5 seats in petrol, I was like why would Honda do this? But it does make some amount of sense. Honda Accord and CRV buyers have been typically owners who are chauffeur driven, and for them rear seat Space is of paramount importance. And when they occasionally drive they are used to a honda petrol and a CVT gear box. So Honda satisfies this customer base, and also some customers who may be upgrading from a Honda City or so.

And now for the diesel, this is like stating, we got a diesel, 7 seats and AWD, same as the fortuner and the endeavour. Potential buyers looking at the T-fort and the endy look at these 3 factors, so Honda has all of it now in a more urban looking car. Someone who wants all three can now consider the CRV as well.

So I do not know about the diesel folks needing the extra seats, rather I see it as a way to satisfy loyal Honda customers and also take on competition at the same time. Honda can always introduce a 5 seat version of the diesel or a 7 seat version of be petrol at a later stage based on sales and customer feedback. I do not think it will be that tough to implement.

Last edited by motorworks : 20th September 2018 at 06:55.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 08:25   #186
Senior - BHPian

I hate those shift buttons on these new Honda ATs. Drove the new Odyssey a few months back and shifting was a big chore for me! I had to look down and confirm the button whenever I needed to shift.

Give me a shift lever over these buttons any day! Even if its at the cost of a bit of space on the console. Other than that the Honda was totally accomplished. Brilliant for a big family! And so practical, especially those automatic sliding doors.
Attached Thumbnails
The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-img_3631.jpg  

deetjohn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 10:42   #187
Team-BHP Support

Autocar India Review -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 23:40   #188
Senior - BHPian

I have seen ALL the video reviews... and there are a lot of them..

Either all of them have been "silenced" or the lack of power is really not that big an issue.

One observation, the car is getting released in very boring colours.

Looking forward to the Team Bhp review and a test drive before booking the car.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 01:30   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post

One observation, the car is getting released in very boring colours.
I’d call them “safe” colours. Red, silver, white, black,dark grey are what we have seen in reviews. The red is quite bold, not my cup of tea,but it is far from boring. The previous gen CRV was also in similar color offerings, infact the maroon earlier was down right boring.
Personally, I wish they got the navy blue.

Last edited by Sahil : 22nd September 2018 at 01:32.
Old 22nd September 2018, 23:13   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I’d call them “safe” colours. Red, silver, white, black,dark grey are what we have seen in reviews. The red is quite bold, not my cup of tea,but it is far from boring. The previous gen CRV was also in similar color offerings, infact the maroon earlier was down right boring.
Personally, I wish they got the navy blue.
I loved this blue, at least in this photo. I really hope they release it.

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-hondacrvfront2018india960x640.jpg
AbhiJ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 03:02   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I loved this blue, at least in this photo. I really hope they release it.

Attachment 1801219
Me too. It’s my fav color on almost any car. Even Audi has this color called sepang blue.
But I highly doubt they are launching this or they would have def shown it off at the press test drive event.
Old 23rd September 2018, 08:45   #192
Senior - BHPian

If Toyota can get away with a 1.4 diesel in it's Corolla @ ₹25L OTR then why not rip Indians of with a 120 bhp diesel CR-V 7 seater SUV @ ₹ 40L OTR.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 11:29   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
If Toyota can get away with a 1.4 diesel in it's Corolla @ ₹25L OTR then why not rip Indians of with a 120 bhp diesel CR-V 7 seater SUV @ ₹ 40L OTR.

That precisely has to do with the different positioning of the 2 products. The Corolla diesel is (9/10) times bought by the chauffeured clientele. If you remove the engine from the discussion and just focus on the rear seat, it's a comfortable ride.
Now talking about the CRV, I don't think it's positioned in the same way. In fact it comes with a 9 speed ZF sourced GB which definitely wants to lock horns with the likes of Kodiaq. So for an owner who is spending 35-40 big ones and is gonna drive himself a power bump would have been much appreciated, specially if Honda already has it ready in the form of a 1.6 twin turbo.

The following imaginary discussion comes to my mind :
Me : Honda, you should have provided the 1.6 twin turbo in the CRV top end at least given that it's not gonna come cheap and is meant to move 7 people.
Honda : Be happy that we are at least providing the 9 speed auto with it. If you buy the Civic you won't get that combo!

That's precisely Honda for you.
Waspune is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 20:35   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post

The following imaginary discussion comes to my mind :
Me : Honda, you should have provided the 1.6 twin turbo in the CRV top end at least given that it's not gonna come cheap and is meant to move 7 people.
Honda : Be happy that we are at least providing the 9 speed auto with it. If you buy the Civic you won't get that combo!

That's precisely Honda for you.
My hypothesis is that Honda wants to be careful with price positioning. They probably want the top end variant to be below the 30L ex-showroom mark, to draw in the Tucson/Tiguan/Fortuner/Endeavour customers. Initial impressions about pricing are almost always based on the top end price and once set, it is difficult to reverse customer perception on value. So the twin turbo can come later, say a few months down the line and it won't hurt perception. For instance, we still think of Compass as very good VFM because of attractive introductory pricing - the high end Limited 4X4 was priced at Rs. 19.99 Lacs at launch.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 21:11   #195
BHPian

Well, I will bet on Honda giving smaller engine & still asking a price higher than Fortuner, Endeavor etc
Thats Honda for India!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed