Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2018, 23:52   #106
Team-BHP Support

Could anyone comment generally speaking on what is the water wading capability of any to end CRV. How would it cope in serious flooding situations in a city like Mumbai. Thanks.
Old 8th August 2018, 08:46   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Could anyone comment generally speaking on what is the water wading capability of any to end CRV. How would it cope in serious flooding situations in a city like Mumbai. Thanks.
This is a million dollar question that I’ve asked several times but the answer does not seem to exist anywhere online. Honda does not declare this figure hence unless someone physically measures the distance from the ground to the air intake,we won’t know.

I hope TBHP reviewers take note of this as this info is vital for SUV buyers and should be part of every official SUV review ‘s spec sheet.

My fortuner has saved me several times from getting out of flooded situations and I feel insecure about replacing it with the new CRV.
While I’m pretty sure the CRV wading Dept will not be as much as a ladder on frame SUV, but it still good to know.
Old 9th August 2018, 04:56   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
This is a million dollar question that I’ve asked several times but the answer does not seem to exist anywhere online. Honda does not declare this figure hence unless someone physically measures the distance from the ground to the air intake,we won’t know.

I hope TBHP reviewers take note of this as this info is vital for SUV buyers and should be part of every official SUV review ‘s spec sheet.

My fortuner has saved me several times from getting out of flooded situations and I feel insecure about replacing it with the new CRV.

While I’m pretty sure the CRV wading Dept will not be as much as a ladder on frame SUV, but it still good to know.

Exactly Sahil. I could not find meaningful info on this anywhere online. I am keen to consider an SUV for a range of reasons but this is a key one. An Endy still feels quite bulky to pilot in a city and the crv as a product gives a perfect balance of luxury comfort and hopefully some capability in difficult situations that our cities nowadays can throw up. I'm not talking of taking it to 4x4 events but can it survive a proper deluge is a million dollar Q. If it is no better than the BMWs of the worlds then frankly owning a butch SUV and living with its XXXL size seems to be the only compromise.
Old 9th August 2018, 09:27   #109
BHPian

No matter how well Honda may have tuned the 1.6 diesel, the fact of the matter is a 35 lakh car with a 1.6L-120 bhp engine is pathetic. This is par for the BRV segment, not CRV. Even the Compass which is half a segment down from CRV has a much more powerful motor.

Honda built a reputation for its engines, they owe their brand equity to engines and now they are hoping that people will ignore the engine for their brand value!!
octane_100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 09:37   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
This is a million dollar question that I’ve asked several times but the answer does not seem to exist anywhere online.
Quote:
Exactly Sahil. I could not find meaningful info on this anywhere online. I am keen to consider an SUV for a range of reasons but this is a key one.
I'm not talking of taking it to 4x4 events but can it survive a proper deluge is a million dollar Q.
A check on the US model shows ground clearance to be 8.2 inches which roughly translates to 208 mm. Whether this is laden or unladen is not known.

I too am eagerly waiting for this launch and as per various articles available online, I understand that this vehicle is going to be seriously under specced for a 7 seater.
Specially for the premium Honda will charge.

Ground Clearance

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-grnd-cl.jpg

I know this seems off topic, have you checked out the Tucson and / or Compass.
Old 9th August 2018, 09:59   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post

I know this seems off topic, have you checked out the Tucson and / or Compass.

I have. The Compass is simply too small. I want a proper luxury size SUV. And the Tucson just does not seem special enough. I feel if I want a car for 7-9 years and as my primary car, it will feel too much of a downgrade from a 3 GT.

Somehow, Hondas tend to feel better built and will just give that sense of luxury a bit more than the Tucson is my perception. If I cannot have any of this I would much rather just stick with my GT for the long haul. To me, the only cars that seem to feel right in replacement of the GT are the Endy and CR-V. If it had not been for the badge, even the Kodiaq and Tiguan would be in the reckoning but I want peace of mind rough use vehicles - neither of those badges would make me feel secure for any period of time let alone 7-9 years of ownership.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 10:06   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Media drives for the new CR-V are going on in Manila and the auto journalists are mostly there. Here is a tweet from Hormazd
https://twitter.com/hormazdsorabjee/...173528064?s=19

As per Autocar the launch date is confirmed for October 2018

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...er-2018-409319

Last edited by Behemoth : 9th August 2018 at 10:12.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 18:01   #113
Team-BHP Support

Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Yes. As per one of Hormazds tweets, in the city the diesel is adequate but on the highway it could do with about 20 hp more. Disappointed at this aspect. :-(

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th August 2018 at 18:06.
Old 9th August 2018, 18:52   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI's review of Honda CR-V.

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-h1.jpg

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-h3.jpg

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-h2.jpg

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-h5.jpg

The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-h6.jpg

Quote:
You need. a certain athletic ability to clamber into the third row of the new #Honda CR-V. Best for kids.
The Honda CR-V, now launched at Rs 28.15 lakhs-h4.jpg

Drive:
Quote:
Refinement is quite impressive, to begin with. Idle is smooth and the diesel clatter from under the bonnet, though noticeable, is well damped. Tap the throttle, and the 1.6 responds instantly, pulling with a fair amount of zest off the line. There is almost no delay or hint of turbo lag when you put your foot on the throttle, and what's pleasing is that the CR-V moves forward quite smartly even when you press down a bit more

Quote:
Yes, it does run out of breath at the top of the powerband, which can be quite irritating, and 20 or 30hp more would have made a world of a difference. Overtaking isn’t an effortless task and the engine takes its own sweet time to reach the conservative 4,500 rev limit. Enthusiasts will be disappointed with the lack of top-end punch, but, for the most part, power, torque and performance are sufficient.
Expected Price:

Expected to be priced north of Rs 30 lakh (prices for the 2.0 petrol are likely to start from Rs 27 lakh), it doesn’t give enough bang for the buck.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th August 2018 at 19:15.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 20:48   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
A check on the US model shows ground clearance to be 8.2 inches which roughly translates to 208 mm.
Ground clearance and wading dept are two different things. As mentioned earlier, wading dept is the distance from the ground to the air intake.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 22:36   #116
Team-BHP Support

I am just curious. Would the more tech endowed know how easy it would be to soup up the 120 bhp engine? To address the power deficit issue?
Old 9th August 2018, 22:44   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Expected to be priced north of Rs 30 lakh (prices for the 2.0 petrol are likely to start from Rs 27 lakh), it doesn’t give enough bang for the buck.
3 lakhs premium for the diesel engine, even after offering the cheaper 120hp option? Hopefully not the case when the launch happens.

The engine may be adequate for most people unlike the popular sentiment here, but this kind of pricing won't do it any good.
Old 9th August 2018, 23:02   #118
Senior - BHPian

If the price difference between the 120 hp and 160 hp diesel would be 1.5 Lacs, the 120 hp should be sold on par with the petrol motor.

Quote:
I have. The Compass is simply too small. I want a proper luxury size SUV. And the Tucson just does not seem special enough. I feel if I want a car for 7-9 years and as my primary car, it will feel too much of a downgrade from a 3 GT.

Somehow, Hondas tend to feel better built and will just give that sense of luxury a bit more than the Tucson is my perception. If I cannot have any of this I would much rather just stick with my GT for the long haul. To me, the only cars that seem to feel right in replacement of the GT are the Endy and CR-V. If it had not been for the badge, even the Kodiaq and Tiguan would be in the reckoning but I want peace of mind rough use vehicles - neither of those badges would make me feel secure for any period of time let alone 7-9 years of ownership.
Tell me about it...

Using a 10 Yr old CRV.... wanting to replace the decade old vehicle myself.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 9th August 2018 at 23:05.
Old 10th August 2018, 06:38   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

If the Honda is able to deliver 120 bhp of actual power at the wheels , it should be good enough for the CRV. The Compass while it claims 170 bhp, actually delivers only around 130bhp at the wheels (as per the dyno results shared by Arjun). The 0-100 time of the Compass is also around 11 seconds. So with a 0-100 time of 11.2 seconds the CRV is almost as fast. End of the day the torque curve needs to be seen and also the 9 speed auto box will be a boon and plus the mileage is bound to be decent and above 12-15 kmpl.
With the Kodiaq costing 40L on road and the Tiguan also costing 32L on road, if Honda price it at 30L on road for the diesel auto 2WD it will be a fair deal and it may convince many buyers.

Last edited by Behemoth : 10th August 2018 at 06:42.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 07:39   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
With the Kodiaq costing 40L on road and the Tiguan also costing 32L on road, if Honda price it at 30L on road for the diesel auto 2WD it will be a fair deal and it may convince many buyers.

Chief the current petrol crv top end retails at 31-32 lakh on road. Why will an all new, bigger, plusher 7 seat diesel come at 30 lakh on road. Expect a 38-40 lakh odd tag for the diesel top end and you can accordingly work your guesses downward for lower variants.

Tiguan is a 5 seater with the top end coming at about 36-37 lakh on road. Honda will perceive itself closer to Kodiaq as a comparison not Tiguan. Despite being 120 bhp.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks