Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th February 2020, 07:16   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
So Force Motors have official beaten the Thar to the expo by having a BS6 ready, dual airbag compliant version with an updated dashboard (including touchscreen?) You have to hope that Mahindra revise the Thar significantly to justify their somewhat delayed launch. If they bring a Thar that just matches the new Gurkha in terms of equipment and capability, then the joke will surely be on Mahindra.

I sure hope you're being sarcastic. Because that 90HP engine of the new Gurkha is nothing if one wants to offroad. Their 2.2L 140 bhp isn't ready.

Features? They just tweaked the existing dashboard to include airbags and a aftermarket touchscreen unit.

Have you followed the new thar thread? Do you see the vehicle which will be offered. Please have a look.

If Force cannot have that mercedes derived 2.2L engine ready in BS6 garb, nothing will matter.
navpreet318 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 07:23   #167
BHPian

Default Re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I sure hope you're being sarcastic. Because that 90HP engine of the new Gurkha is nothing if one wants to offroad. Their 2.2L 140 bhp isn't ready.

Features? They just tweaked the existing dashboard to include airbags and a aftermarket touchscreen unit.

Have you followed the new thar thread? Do you see the vehicle which will be offered. Please have a look.

If Force cannot have that mercedes derived 2.2L engine ready in BS6 garb, nothing will matter.
Spy pictures don't reveal much in terms of product quality, honestly speaking.
The Thar in its current avatar has been nothing significantly different in terms of cabin product quality from the Gurkha. In fact both are pretty appalling to say the least. If Mahindra enhances the cabin quality to the levels of, say the XUV300, it would be hugely surprising. Perhaps they will not, certainly not if they want to keep prices in check. Now with respect to the engine, I am sure the Gurkha engine will do well in the area its supposed to, i.e. extreme off-roading. Its not meant to be a comfy highway cruiser anyway. Do you expect the Thar to be a great family adventure 4x4 with creature comforts priced under 18 lac or so? It would kill its own siblings in that case.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 7th February 2020 at 07:25.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 07:41   #168
Senior - BHPian

The thar positioning would definitely change now. How many people do extreme offroading? Moreover the indefinite wait for parts has lead to dismal sales of the gurkha extreme as well. It had the contents- hard top, solid axles, great engine, decent cabin for offroading. Why didn't it sell? I am still getting calls for extremes left over in NCR.

The hardcore offroading community is already small. And then there are people who believe they don't need gear to offroad and have taken stock thars to when even modded gypsies haven't gone. And had fun at failing at a lot of obstacles as well.

They don't ring the cash registers. I wanted to buy a thar. I took a friend's thar for a week. Drive it for 2 days and parked it. It wasn't meant for me. My daily drive.

I look at the new thar for exactly that. Be my daily drive. Then head into an offroad area maybe once a month and have some fun. That is now the potential thar customer. I don't want a comfy adventure vehicle for 4. For that I have my large SUV. This is my small SUV. True SUV. Not the pseudo SUVs of now a days.

With what Force has made, it doesn't look like it.

And moreover true that thar test vehicle pics don't give out that much, but whatever is being seen and the panel gaps and casting quality of the dashboard plastic, says that it's going to be good quality stuff.

Look at the Gurkha Gear Knob for instance. It has casting flash around its center. Who does that in this day and age??
Old 7th February 2020, 08:01   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechebe View Post
can we expect a 5 door with a more powerful engine?
No, they will have only 3 door variants in future.

Quote:
Also was there any Force Motors vehicle with BS-6 Diesel Engine other that 2.6 90hp?
This thread can answer UK your queries

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4746738 (Force Motors @ Auto Expo 2020)
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 10:38   #170
BHPian

According to Sirish Chandran of Evo India, the platform is a modular one and 5 door model might be developed.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh-screenshot_20200207102200249-1.jpg  

sechebe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 11:14   #171
BHPian

I hope someday in the near future Force brings out a Gurkha that retains its rugged outer shell with completely redesigned interiors and a better powerplant generating atleast 400Nm of sheer Torque ! That would give the upcoming new Thar some stiff competition.
Old 7th February 2020, 15:13   #172
Senior - BHPian

Since the sharing of powertrain has become the norm, I don't know what would stop them from asking for the 2.2L 400Nm Varicor from Tata and plonk it into the Gurkha. As it is Tata is upgrading it to BS6. I'm sure as far as royalty goes, Tata should work out to be cheaper than Mercedes. Then again who knows what goes on behind closed board room doors.
Old 26th February 2020, 15:06   #173
BHPian

Finally got a chance to capture the Force Gurkha 3 door on test today.

It has a massive road presence. The engine is fairly quiet too. Did not sound like the usual tractor type.

The vehicle was on emissions test it seems as there was equipment hooked to it.

Could not capture the front; however rest assured it looks way more proportionate and rugged.

Request for mods: Can you please watermark these images with Team-BHP?

Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh-img_20200226_145638.jpg

Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh-img_20200226_145702.jpg

Name:  IMG_20200226_145733.jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  186.1 KB

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th February 2020 at 15:33. Reason: Watermark added
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 01:05   #174
BHPian

The motor is based on the Mercedes OM61X motor that was equipped in the G Wagon from the 1980s!!! I have this motor in my 1976 and 1984 Classic Mercedes cars.

They really need to equip the vehicle with the Mercedes OM611 motor (1st generation common rail - 140 bhp) for it to finally gain mass appeal.
Screwdriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 18:18   #175
BHPian

NextGen Gurkha launch by June 2020

Quote:
There are talks of a more powerful 2.2-litre engine being considered for later. The carmaker has stated it has plans to introduce a two-wheel-drive model, more body configurations, and multiple wheelbase options as well.
Source
Old 24th March 2020, 13:22   #176
BHPian

Comparing the steering wheel of both the vehicles displayed, the standard one seems to have a more driver facing one rather than the old sky facing one like the travellers. Looks like they have reworked on this for a better driving position.

But the customised version still seems to have the old position.

Or is it just the pictures/camera angles confusing us?
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh-gurkha.jpg  

Old 24th March 2020, 15:04   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post
Comparing the steering wheel of both the vehicles displayed, the standard one seems to have a more driver facing one rather than the old sky facing one like the travellers. Looks like they have reworked on this for a better driving position.

But the customised version still seems to have the old position.

Or is it just the pictures/camera angles confusing us?
What I understand from those pics is that Gurkha has Tilt (Already confirmed in auto expo videos) and Telescopic steering adjustability.

Mod Note: BHPian MohammedEza's Force Gurkha Ownership Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 24th November 2020 at 12:46. Reason: Adding link to review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed