Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2018, 07:22   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,298
Thanked: 3,589 Times
Default re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

Either way these vehicles in their current form cannot be sold after 2020 once the BS-VI & New Safety/Crash Test norms kick in. So in 2020, the Gurkha/Thar will either have to be discontinued or upgraded significantly.


I decided that I will just push my Thar DI for another two years and upgrade to either the the Gurkha or the Thar CRDe after they are upgraded to meet the 2020 rules which should happen some time late 2019 or early 2020. There is no point in buying new vehicles that cost over 10 Lakhs on the road and dont' even come with ABS.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 21:38   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 186
Thanked: 78 Times
Default re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Either way these vehicles in their current form cannot be sold after 2020 once the BS-VI & New Safety/Crash Test norms kick in. So in 2020, the Gurkha/Thar will either have to be discontinued or upgraded significantly.

I decided that I will just push my Thar DI for another two years and upgrade to either the the Gurkha or the Thar CRDe after they are upgraded to meet the 2020 rules which should happen some time late 2019 or early 2020. There is no point in buying new vehicles that cost over 10 Lakhs on the road and dont' even come with ABS.
Makes absolute sense to wait till either is significantly upgraded to meet the BS VI and new safety norms. In any case, you already are using a Thar.

Just speculating but maybe the delay in the launch of the Gurkha Extreme is to ensure that the new norms are met.
Zezé is offline  
Old 17th October 2018, 16:24   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

Any idea if they released 140bhp version ? The website still have 85bhp version engine on offer.
sad:) is offline  
Old 18th October 2018, 10:31   #34
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,298
Thanked: 3,589 Times
Default re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad:) View Post
Any idea if they released 140bhp version ? The website still have 85bhp version engine on offer.

Looks like it is further postponed. With the revised safety norms kicking in a couple of months, maybe they want to integrate the revised dash with airbags and also ABS.


Even if it takes a couple of months longer, tbey may as well offer a proper product rather than another 80% there product.
4x4addict is offline  
Old 18th October 2018, 20:21   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 186
Thanked: 78 Times
Default re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Looks like it is further postponed. With the revised safety norms kicking in a couple of months, maybe they want to integrate the revised dash with airbags and also ABS.

Even if it takes a couple of months longer, tbey may as well offer a proper product rather than another 80% there product.
Yes, since the launch has been delayed for so long, I too believe it makes sense for Force to integrate the new safety norms before launching upgraded Gurkha. In fact, as I mentioned earlier, it may give the Gurkha a bit of an advantage it the launch of the next gen Thar is delayed till mid 2019.
Zezé is offline  
Old 28th October 2018, 01:26   #36
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 8
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

The update we were waiting for... It was just a hoax. And/or, Force Motors doesn't care. Either way, its the same, there is no update coming.
Maybe the "leaked" brochure was just a marketing gimmick.


Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh-gurkha.jpg
ClassicD is offline  
Old 11th December 2018, 13:00   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PNQ/MUM/PKD
Posts: 1,410
Thanked: 1,254 Times
Default

It seems Force has finally brought out the Gurkha 2.2-
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...99-lakh-410756

Last edited by Aditya : 18th December 2018 at 16:15.
rakesh_r is online now  
Old 11th December 2018, 14:15   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
84.monsoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,320
Thanked: 3,614 Times
Default re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
It seems Force has finally brought out the Gurkha 2.2-
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...99-lakh-410756
The engine (OM611) was introduced by Mercedes in 1999 and withdrawn around 2008! There have been two new generations of the engine after this - OM651 (Introduced in 2009) and OM654 (Introduced in 2017). So we are using a 20 year old engine for the Gurkha!

I hope we are not starting to become a disposal yard for global manufacturers to make some last few pennies from their old platforms and engines before declaring them dead.
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 14:46   #39
BHPian
 
Rshrey22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Delhi
Posts: 283
Thanked: 475 Times
Default re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The engine (OM611) was introduced by Mercedes in 1999 and withdrawn around 2008! There have been two new generations of the engine after this - OM651 (Introduced in 2009) and OM654 (Introduced in 2017). So we are using a 20 year old engine for the Gurkha!
Old is not always bad! Rather old merc diesel engines are very reliable. Plus I believe the fact that it is almost 2 generations old means that most R&D has already been done on it and is now a ready product without any loopholes.
Rshrey22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 15:28   #40
BHPian
 
Cuatro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TS13
Posts: 62
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

The news article says that Force has launched the Gurkha Xtreme, however their website has no details of the Xtreme. Strange!
Cuatro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 16:19   #41
BHPian
 
007 Bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 255
Thanked: 152 Times
Default re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

A complete new body is in development & as per expectation should be available for the next off road season.. expect a launch by march - april frame.

This should be a BS6 engine or a BS6 ready engine, with all new chassis, body, etc

so that should be the final major update for this vehicle.
007 Bond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 16:27   #42
A M
BHPian
 
A M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Panchkula
Posts: 515
Thanked: 509 Times
Default re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

Very optimistic pricing by Force I must say. It's a very tough sell at this price point.
No safey features and a spartan cabin at 13 Lakhs ex-showroom is an opportunity lost again.
A M is offline  
Old 11th December 2018, 17:19   #43
BHPian
 
Cuatro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TS13
Posts: 62
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

I was expecting this to be the much talked about BS6 engine with ABS, Airbags and something that conforms to the new crash test norms. If it is not, then its a major let down!
Cuatro is offline  
Old 11th December 2018, 19:22   #44
BHPian
 
indian21r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 890
Thanked: 654 Times
Default re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

Did the launch really happen? Don't see any information on the force India website
indian21r is offline  
Old 11th December 2018, 20:27   #45
BHPian
 
aaychat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 54
Thanked: 197 Times
Default re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
This might not be too relevant, but will this model pass the upcoming mandatory crash-test or will they think about an update again? Cars like Gurkha and Thar are extremely rugged, but wish to know what they plan to do to make them crash worthy.
I think it's very relevant because if they haven't thought about it, it's going to lead to their own irrelevance.

Awaiting safety info.
aaychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks