Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2019, 13:03   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

Revised price list from the official website

Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh-screenshot_20190411125652.png

Interestingly, the Xpedition variants have not been updated with this safety feature yet.
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 07:59   #122
BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

ABS is a welcome addition. The question is whether it's having option to turn it off? As during off road trails ABS will be a hindrance. As it was planned earlier that the ABS in Gurkha will get engaged when it will cross certain BHP mark, that's mostly for high-speed run. Is there any body to give a full spec of the ABS functionality in Gurkha as none of the automobile journal has came up yet with the insight.
Old 20th April 2019, 00:58   #123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Eric,

I have driven the pre-extreme avatar of the Gurkha and I can tell you that it is a total slouch. You cannot safely overtake in the hills. The 140 bhp version, I have not driven yet, but if it makes peak Torque at 1600 rpm, I am sure it makes reasonable torque from about 1400 rpm

So in my opinion, modern diesels in the 2000 to 2500 cc should be fine for majority of consumers except taxi operators and cave dwellers . The Japanese have been making mid-capacity diesels which give a good balance between between torque/bhp for decades. Forgive me for saying this, but the Mahindra MDI engine is not the gold standard by any stretch of imagination. It is essentially a reliable tractor engine and not to be put in a passenger vehicle. The world has seen much much better engines with the same CC and better balance of power and Torque.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post

I'd say - despite whatever turbo lag, and in a polar opposite manner than this tractor engine - but I still like the MDI very much, I'm sorry if this bothers anyone, it is a very different animal but one worthy of some appreciation in my view.

Wherever I go (North Delhi last week, Manali Bazar today, Manimajra Chandigarh earlier, on a back street this afternoon where someone was complaining - once again - about the 2.2 mHawk's deplorable hill performance (vs. his T-MDI Camper in this case!!)),

Re: my actual gold standard, in my limited experience, in terms of actual performance: the original Scorpio 2.6 Turbo (90bhp?) in 4x4 form; Though I admit the FE is lower and emissions higher than present machinery - both highly valid considerations in our modern, polluted age, at least where populations are dense. Why do I love it? It's not overly biased towards low-end OR top-end, it just seems to strike the perfect balance. It did have the torque there just about right off idle, it had plenty of power to overtake anywhere, hill or highway, it could cruise at 150kmph on the expressway (I know from personal experience). It had extremely lively throttle response, unlike any modern turbo-diesel that I know of. Granted it sounded a little truck-like, but personally I actually liked that.
-Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
The Sumo Gold doesn't have 4x4 and there's a reason it was never fitted with the Tata DI - the drivetrain doesn't clear the tall (deep) engine. Thar as mentioned is a 3-door and as we've seen in a recent thread, the SC is saying that mods are not acceptable, certainly not a 5-door conversion on a short wheelbase. Bolero 4x4 could probably work though my experience with the m2DICR in Spiti left me cold - we smoked (admittedly, in 2wd) the clutch nicely trying to get out of a spot the old DI would have idled easily out of (in 2wd). And it is underpowered in general, the Marshal is just so much more responsive.

-Eric
Though ,this thread is for Gurkha, but I have huge respect for MDI engines found in Mahindra Pickups and Campers. My personal experience, Our own Thar CRDE struggled to climb the same steep stretch of inclined road which this pickup carrying more than 25 cement bags did like a breeze and surprised us and forced me to get my ECU remapped to compete with the MDI engine's low end grunt around 1000-1500 rpm.

Wholly agree with Eric, I know how it used to feel like bogged down with not having enough low end torque in traffic jams in hilly terrain and using clutch slippage to overcome the disaster which was about to happen.

Last edited by The King : 20th April 2019 at 01:02.
The King is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 10:44   #124
BHPian

Any owners feedback on the Gurkha Extreme. Now that new Thar is expected soon, will there be any updates to this as well.
Old 31st July 2019, 12:46   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Any owners feedback on the Gurkha Extreme. Now that new Thar is expected soon, will there be any updates to this as well.
I stay very close to the Force motors plant and on and off keep seeing their products on test.
Off late, I have seen a few of those awkwardly front shaped road test travellers doing the rounds.
Along with that are a couple of four door gurkha's with noticebly longer bonnet (as compared to the current crop). The bonnet portion is highly camouflaged in these test cars.
I hope BSVI engines are being tested. Knowing how eager and proactive Force motors has been in the past, I can only hope they might be looking forward to Auto Expo to showcase their updated vehicle range.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 14:26   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I stay very close to the Force motors plant and on and off keep seeing their products on test.
They are being tested for crash test compliance as well along with BS6.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st July 2019 at 19:34. Reason: Quote content trimmed
Old 31st July 2019, 15:29   #127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
My cousin just picked up a Gurkha two days ago, a replacement for an 8 year old Thar. The Thar was a work vehicle doing duty in a plantation, hauling produce, fertilizer, saplings and sometimes hooked up with a trailer. The Isuzu wasn't considered because it's dimensions make it unsuitable for cramped spaces.
Hi,

Thanks so much for sharing the pics. Just wanted to confirm on your cousin's experience after owning this mighty beast. I too have lot of fantasy for this machine and is surely on my list. Would be great if you could please share any negative point that your cousin has come across so far.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st July 2019 at 19:34. Reason: Quote content trimmed
Old 31st July 2019, 17:57   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timussharma View Post
Hi,

Thanks so much for sharing the pics. Just wanted to confirm on your cousin's experience after owning this mighty beast. I too have lot of fantasy for this machine and is surely on my list. Would be great if you could please share any negative point that your cousin has come across so far.
I'll contact him and update this thread. This is a good time to check, being monsoon in Kerala, how this vehicle performs in sticky mud. One thing that he mentioned, compared to the thar, is that the vehicle is heavy and slow. He's quite hands on with maintenance, so that's one thing you should be aware of, service experience is nothing great.
avira_tk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 20:32   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
The Gurkha Extreme & the 2020 Thar are completely different animals.

One should buy a Gurkha Extreme only if one wants a more off-road biased vehicles and is willing to live with poor interior design/ergonomics for better off-road performance and ruggedness . It comes with solid axles front and back and also RCB steering. Hence, the ride and handling will be inferior to the 2020 Thar that comes with IFS inf front and coil springs at the rear. The interior of the2020 Thar will also be much better.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 31st July 2019 at 20:36.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 20:53   #130
BHPian

A Gurkha Xtreme with 5 doors would have been a wonderful expedition vehicle. Hope Force realizes that.
nishkamm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 21:34   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishkamm View Post
A Gurkha Xtreme with 5 doors would have been a wonderful expedition vehicle. Hope Force realizes that.
Five doors + front facing rear seats would make it a mouthwatering proposition.
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:11   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishkamm View Post

The 3 Door itself is pushing 16.x lakhs on the road. The 5-Door version will probably push 17.x lakhs. Not sure there will be many takers for it. Besides, the V-Cross will server as a better expedition vehicle.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:05   #133
Senior - BHPian

Pardon my ignorance but does the new Gurkha Extreme come equipped with airbags? If not, will Force plonk these in post April 2020 or just drop the ball on this model and go back to the drawing board?

Also, does the Extreme come in a soft top avatar as well?
Old 6th August 2019, 17:54   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Pardon my ignorance but does the new Gurkha Extreme come equipped with airbags? If not, will Force plonk these in post April 2020 or just drop the ball on this model and go back to the drawing board?

Also, does the Extreme come in a soft top avatar as well?
No air-bag. Explorer 5 door seems to be the only variant comes in soft-top. It'll be great if they add air-bag in the next edition.
Old 12th August 2019, 16:01   #135
BHPian

Did test drive Gurkha 3 door extreme from Khivraj motors, Bangalore. My impressions are same as many of you have written. Good solid built, no lag at all (except slightly in 5th gear), very cheap interiors. I was informed that there are only 4 in stock Gurkha extreme available as of now, and all have been booked with advance payment(waiting for loan clearance). On-road price for Extreme ABS version is 16.90L. He indicated that max discount can be of 20K. No non-ABS versions available as of now and the production has already been stopped for BS4 vehicles. There is no option to switch off ABS. He is expecting BS6 versions sometime soon in next 3-4 months, and these variants will have a lesser output power than current BS4 variants due to emissions controls. It looks like they have their hands full for now. he says, if you are planning to buy in next months, only BS6 will be available.
sad:) is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed