Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2018, 22:57   #46
BHPian

re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

A machine suited to the puritans of offroading. No frills, embellishments or unnecessary fancy stuff. The Tsars at Mahindra should have a look of this vehicle.

Last edited by Zappo : 12th December 2018 at 11:32. Reason: Please avoid unnecessary references that we can do without while making our point.
Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 15:50   #47
BHPian

re: Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh

Force Gurkha Xtreme Brochure

Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh-force-gurkha-xtreme-brochure.jpg

Source
Torque_Curve is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 17:29   #48
Senior - BHPian

Just received a call from force motors regarding my interest in new Gurkha.

They said that the launch is on 17th of this month.

Last edited by jeepster : 12th December 2018 at 17:48.
Old 12th December 2018, 17:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

I think they use the same engine in the Tempo Traveller as well. That said NVH is horrible in the Tempo Traveller, just imagine what it would be in this contraption!
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 20:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I think they use the same engine in the Tempo Traveller as well. That said NVH is horrible in the Tempo Traveller, just imagine what it would be in this contraption!
No sorry. This engine was used in the Force one. It's an excellent engine, with very low nvh, super linear acceleration and decent fuel economy. The engine in the Traveller is a Desi jugaad of this engine, that's why it's not so refined.
AirbusCapt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 22:16   #51
BHPian

Enquired in bangalore, the vehicle will be here in next 4 days.. Representative says its the same engine and gearbox in c200 Mercedes cars and interiors are same as the old model. No change in interiors.. Will try to check with him over this week.. The showroom is near by my office
Old 12th December 2018, 22:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Those are 2.6 & 3.2L versions with G-28 GB.

Do check TT with 2.2 engine & G-32/5 GB .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
This engine was used in the Force one. It's an excellent engine, with very low nvh, super linear acceleration and decent fuel economy. The engine in the Traveller is a Desi jugaad of this engine, that's why it's not so refined.
Force one 2.2 is refined and TT 2.2 is not?

How? can you explain?

Last edited by jeepster : 12th December 2018 at 23:18.
Old 13th December 2018, 07:20   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I hope we are not starting to become a disposal yard for global manufacturers to make some last few pennies from their old platforms and engines before declaring them dead.

Older the diesel the more reliable and less compliated it is. The derivative of the OM616 currently doing duty in the Force range of vehicles including the Traveller range is known to be a very reliable workhorse. I don't think we should worry about the generation of the engine. Force has been making these engines for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
A complete new body is in development & as per expectation should be available for the next off road season.. expect a launch by march - april frame.

I am a bit worried about the body update. I hope they don't change the core essence of the G-wagen. The current body look very hot and if you ask me is the most appealing part of the Gurkha let down by a lousy power-train and even more lousier interiors. The first problem hs been covered. The second one needs to be addressed. And the addition of a basic safety feature like ABS which has already been incorporated into the Force Traveller range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
This should be a BS6 engine or a BS6 ready engine, with all new chassis, body, etc
The OM611 engine and the new gearbox should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
Very optimistic pricing by Force I must say. It's a very tough sell at this price point.
No safey features and a spartan cabin at 13 Lakhs ex-showroom is an opportunity lost again.

I agree about the safety features. But regarding the price it is a debatable question. The only direct competition in the Thar CRDe which is about 10 lakhs ex-showroom. The Thar engine is a much older generation, it comes with a not too sturdy Independent front suspension. No manual lockers. No hard top much more cramped cabin. Leaking front windshield etc. So for someone like me who is looking for a hardcore mud plugger, I would prefer the Gurkha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatro View Post
I was expecting this to be the much talked about BS6 engine with ABS, Airbags and something that conforms to the new crash test norms. If it is not, then its a major let down!

For Air-Bags, they may need to make modifications to the dash to incorporate the air-bag & sensor. There maybe some limitations with the current body shell. However, for ABS there is no excuse as it can be incorporated in to the current vehicle atleast as an option.

My friend spoke to the KA Sales Manager and he said that ABS expected sometime early 2019 but no news of Air-Bags. I think that will happen only in 2020 to meet the safey norms. I think ABS is a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Did the launch really happen? Don't see any information on the force India website
It is kind of like a soft launch. Since I am in touch with the dealer in my home town, I got a call from them asking me if I would like to buy the new version. It is definitely available, but I think they are kinda testing the waters with off-roaders.

But, I decided against it until they can give me a decent interiors & ABS. I am not looking for leather wrapped, wood accented dash with an 8 inch touch screen. A simple functional 80s japanese dashboard is fine with me. Not this horrible one they have now. My boarding school toilet was better designed that the current Gurkha dash.
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 07:55   #54
BHPian

Thanks 4x4addict. Well another 4 days to go I see. I hope the vehicle will be displayed in Hyderabad as well.

Quote:
the transfer case misses out on the shift-on-the-fly system, and instead, it gets a dual-mass flywheel.
How much of a difference will this make in off road driving. I see this being mentioned as miss.
Old 15th December 2018, 18:12   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Those are 2.6 & 3.2L versions with G-28 GB.

Do check TT with 2.2 engine & G-32/5 GB .

Force one 2.2 is refined and TT 2.2 is not?

How? can you explain?
Derated engine. From 138bhp/320 nm torque in the Force one to 127bhp/300 nm torque in the 2.2 CR. It's one thing to derated an engine and another thing to do it properly. In the Traveller the 2.2CR is a boomy, viby and coarse mill.
Old 16th December 2018, 09:31   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Derated engine. From 138bhp/320 nm torque in the Force one to 127bhp/300 nm torque in the 2.2 CR. It's one thing to derated an engine and another thing to do it properly. In the Traveller the 2.2CR is a boomy, viby and coarse mill.
AFAIK Detuning is doesn't increase engine's NVH levels.

Ex. Fiat 2.0L
  • Jeep Compass 171 BHP @3750rpm and 350 Nm of torque @ 1,750-2,500 rpm
  • Tata Harrier 138 BHP @3,750 rpm and 350 Nm of torque @ 1,750-2,500 rpm
See any harrier review.. all are praising engine's smoothness. (lesser turbo lag in harrier compared to compass)
Old 16th December 2018, 09:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Harrier is not really detuned, both have same torque. So it is like a little bit of top end grunt sacrificed for more mid-bottom level acceleration. The 1.3 mjd in maruti and fiat behaves similarly. The maruti mjd gives instant acceleration and fiat mjd gives more power in top end especially after 80 kmph.
Old 16th December 2018, 10:45   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
AFAIK Detuning is doesn't increase engine's NVH levels.

Ex. Fiat 2.0L
  • Jeep Compass 171 BHP @3750rpm and 350 Nm of torque @ 1,750-2,500 rpm
  • Tata Harrier 138 BHP @3,750 rpm and 350 Nm of torque @ 1,750-2,500 rpm
See any harrier review.. all are praising engine's smoothness. (lesser turbo lag in harrier compared to compass)
You should ask Force the reason. In the Traveller the same engine feels like a crude contraption. May be they know some technique to increase nvh which they are not sharing?
Old 17th December 2018, 07:07   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

@AirbusCapt I think the detuning will be purely a engine map change/including turbo timing etc. It is probably not viable to make core mechanical changes. For a large vehicle like the traveller, they have probably re-mapped to bring peak torque to a lower rev-range by compromising on the top end bhp.

Either way, I haven't noticed the Traveller 2.2 to be particularly noisey. But also remember that most of these drivers tend to lug the vehicle in one/two gear taller than it should be in supposedly thinking they can get more mileage.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 10:29   #60
Senior - BHPian

Force Gurkha Xtreme launched at Rs. 12.99 lakh

Force Motors has launched a new top variant of the Gurkha called the Gurkha Xtreme. The SUV is priced at Rs. 12.99 lakh (ex-showroom).

Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh-force-gurkha-xtreme.jpg

The Gurkha Xtreme is based on a C-in-C ladder chassis. It measures 3,992 mm in length, 1,820 mm in width and 2,075 mm in height. It has a wheelbase of 2,400 mm and comes equipped with a 63.5-litre fuel tank.

Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh-force-gurkha-xtremeside.jpg

The Gurkha Xtreme comes in a 3-door body style. It features exterior updates such as a new front fascia with clear lens headlamps, front fog lamps, bonnet mounted LED indicators and steel bumpers at the front and rear, while the air intake snorkel has a chrome finish. It also gets side cladding, full-length slip resistant footboard and wider all-terrain tubeless tyres.

Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh-force-gurkha-xtremefront.jpg

The Gurkha Xtreme is powered by a 2,149cc, 4-cylinder, turbocharged diesel engine that produces 138 BHP @ 3,800 rpm and 321 Nm of torque @ 1,600-2,400 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission and comes with a dual mass flywheel that is claimed to improve driveability and reduce NVH.

Force Gurkha facelift with 140 BHP coming up. EDIT : Now launched @ Rs. 12.99 lakh-force-gurkha-xtremerear.jpg

The Gurkha Xtreme comes equipped with a new transfer case and live rigid front axle, which has provision to fit hub locks to help save fuel and reduce stress on the drivetrain while in 2-wheel drive mode. It has coil spring suspension and differential locks on both axles. It gets a 44-degree approach angle, 40-degree departure angle (footsteps removed) and a ramp over angle of 30-degrees. These figures are improved from the existing 3-door variant.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks