Team-BHP - Renault Kwid Silent Recall - Faulty Accelerator Pedal!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Renault Kwid Silent Recall - Faulty Accelerator Pedal! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/195478-renault-kwid-silent-recall-faulty-accelerator-pedal.html)

Model : Kwid 0.8 L

Affected cars : Early 2016 batch??

Symptoms :

1. Malfunction Light
2. Sudden increase in speed / RPM (I did not face this, but few others did)

Solution :

1. Replacement of Accelerator Pedal and Sensor
2. ECU programming

My Experience :

There was Malfunction light. It was orange in colour. As per user manual, we should drive the car carefully to dealer. If the light is red, we should stop the car.
Renault Kwid Silent Recall - Faulty Accelerator Pedal!-img_20180213_212444.jpg
I also observed that light would disappear if I press the accelerator and it comes back if I lift off the pedal.
https://youtu.be/iGatTflsrUc
I took the car to Renault. SA told me that this is a "Known Issue". They have replaced accelerator pedal along with sensor in few cars already. I was lucky that I did not have any other issue except Malfunction Light. There were few reported cases of Kwid accelerating on it's own due to faulty A pedal . As usual Renault is not recalling the cars. They are replacing the part only if there are any complaints.

SA confirmed about the availability of part and asked me to wait for an hour. New A pedal and sensor were fixed. ECU programming was also done. They also adjusted the coolant hose gap (Renault system instructed to do it when job card was opened). Everything was done under warranty. I have driven around 50 km and happy to report that issue is fixed.

Bill
Renault Kwid Silent Recall - Faulty Accelerator Pedal!-img_20180213_184551.jpg
The part in question (Thanks to Mr. Puneet for the pic)
Renault Kwid Silent Recall - Faulty Accelerator Pedal!-img20180213wa0064.jpg
It is not just me. Many guys in Kwid group have also reported the same. Accelerator pedal issue is critical and safety concern. We should not wait for the issue to come up and then go to Renault. Renault should look into it seriously and voluntarily recall the affected cars. Last time I had reported about fuel system issue in Team BHP. Surprisingly, Renault recalled the cars after few weeks.

I request fellow Kwid owners to post here, if they have also faced the same :).

Recalls should always be encouraged. Issues do crop up in vehicles even after all the testing and it is good when the manufacturers own up and fix things.

But 'known issues' and 'silent replacements' dont inspire confidence. Surely a sign of a manufacturer trying to brush something major under the carpet.

Good that you've alerted the community now and hopefully there would be a recall for everyone soon. Believe you've done that earlier with your other cars like Baleno as well. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4356418)
Recalls should always be encouraged. Issues do crop up in vehicles even after all the testing and it is good when the manufacturers own up and fix things.

True. Sad part is these global giants take Indian market for granted.

Quote:

But 'known issues' and 'silent replacments' dont inspire confidence. Surely a sign of a manufacturer trying to brush something major under the carpet.
Renault knew about this very well and the part was also in stock this time. I had not even informed them about my visit lol:.

Quote:

Good that you've alerted the community now and hopefully there would be a recall for everyone soon
Sharing any information that would benefit the community is duty of an BHPian :)

Quote:

Believe you've done that earlier with your other cars like Baleno as well. :thumbs up
Yes, it was regarding full suspension replacement in Baleno.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Naren (Post 4356402)

SA confirmed about the availability of part and asked me to wait for an hour.

I read the heading and I was like, this person is going to have a horrible time but I am so glad it went well. That's how pathetic Renault service is, at least at my city. Our's is a 4 month old climber amt and it has already spent a good time at the service center. Other known issues as mentioned by the service folks is alignment problems and spongy brakes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 (Post 4356430)
I read the heading and I was like, this person is going to have a horrible time but I am so glad it went well.

As I said Renault is well aware of this issue. Many cars have been fixed. They are trained for this :D.

Quote:

Other known issues as mentioned by the service folks is alignment problems and spongy brakes.
I have decided to live with the squeaking sound from rear brakes.

I have recently received a recall for my KWID 0.8L WRT steering system. Will update more on this once the job is done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by myavu (Post 4356539)
I have recently received a recall for my KWID 0.8L WRT steering system. Will update more on this once the job is done.

Renault is not clear about this. We only know that few batches of Kwid 0.8L are affected. Renault system did not show this for my car. When was your car manufactured (month & year)?

Quote:

Symptoms :

1. Malfunction Light
2. Sudden increase in speed / RPM (I did not face this, but few others did)

Solution :

1. Replacement of Accelerator Pedal and Sensor
2. ECU programming

I request fellow Kwid owners to post here, if they have also faced the same :).

Sudden acceleration or unintended acceleration. Reminds me of class action suit against Toyota in USA. Floor mat was the culprit there and here it is the accelerator pedal sensor itself. This should be proactively recalled, silent recall is not the way.

Datsun Redigo owners should also keep an eye out? Both vehicles are same underneath?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 4356708)
Sudden acceleration or unintended acceleration. Reminds me of class action suit against Toyota in USA. Floor mat was the culprit there and here it is the accelerator pedal sensor itself. This should be proactively recalled, silent recall is not the way.

Exactly. Renault has not even contacted any customers for this replacement. They are doing this only if customer goes to service centre with complaints like Malfunction Light / no response from A pedal / unintended acceleration etc. For the majority, it's only malfunction light. Still the issue is very critical. We at Team BHP are celebrating 14th birthday and emphasised on road safety. Manufactures like Renault are playing with Indian customers. How could they be so casual with A pedal issue?

Quote:

Datsun Redigo owners should also keep an eye out? Both vehicles are same underneath?
Yes, even Datsun Redigo owners should be careful.

This issue is doing rounds since couple of months. I wonder why Renault is still silent.

https://youtu.be/jQe2zAi15w8
http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.p...7890&Itemid=78

Posts from Kwid owners FB group

If Renault has identified the issue and yet not issued a formal recall, it stinks of terrible corporate ethics. But then with Renault, it isn't new!

Great that you brought this up, Naren. Hope this reaches the entire Kwid community and owners can get it rectified. Especially given the part(s) involved; safety is at serious risk.

We really need strong laws! VW got away with diesel-gate in India by just giving a car cleaning kit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 4356849)
If Renault has identified the issue and yet not issued a formal recall, it stinks of terrible corporate ethics. But then with Renault, it isn't new!

During the first recall for Kwid, official version was just fuel hose clip. But they changed fuel tank and pump in many cars.

Quote:

Hope this reaches the entire Kwid community and owners can get it rectified. Especially given the part(s) involved; safety is at serious risk.
Yes, that's why this thread is up. Renault should recall the cars proactively.

Quote:

We really need strong laws! VW got away with diesel-gate in India by just giving a car cleaning kit.
Imagine the same A pedal issue happened in Europe. What would Renault do? Immediate recall and also fighting lawsuits.

Quote:

There were few reported cases of Kwid accelerating on it's own due to faulty A pedal

:eek::Shockked:

So someone needs to be involved in a terrible accident for Renault to wake up? Even then, with the laws we have, they will get away. And this treatment to their best selling car i.e the customers who trusted the brand and who are mostly first time car buyers. Pathetic

Quote:

Originally Posted by arvind71181 (Post 4356874)
So someone needs to be involved in a terrible accident for Renault to wake up? Even then, with the laws we have, they will get away. And this treatment to their best selling car i.e the customers who trusted the brand and who are mostly first time car buyers. Pathetic

Thankfully nobody I know of had major issues on road. I heard that there will be jump in speed without pressing A pedal only for some time. Anyways this is a critical issue and not to be neglected by Renault India :Frustrati.

Observation after changing A pedal and ECU programming

1. The pedal is slightly harder.

2. The travel has increased.

3. I find that car is picking up speeds better especially in 5th gear.

4. Mild increase in FE too (As per service centre, FE reduces when there is malfunction light)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Naren (Post 4356867)
During the first recall for Kwid, official version was just fuel hose clip. But they changed fuel tank and pump in many cars.

At least at the dealership i used to visit, I was clearly informed about replacement of entire fuel tank plus hose clips. I was also replied in the negative when i inquired about any pump replacement.

This uneven acceleration and warning light issues are not known to me personally but the A pedal nature of Kwid annoyed me to no end. If I so much as blip the throttle while stationary, the thing would keep racing for a full few seconds even after moving the foot away. A non-issue at road speed but an annoyance especially at town speeds. This coupled with the not so punchy engine up front would make it a tad tough on those new to this model.

The car rides so well. I could only wonder what they got wrong after the first few batches to end up in an even messier A pedal situation. Their Indian management has gone hopeless starting with that shady CEO.