Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2018, 16:32   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at the same price

Volkswagen will be discontinuing its 1.2-litre petrol engine on the Polo and the Ameo.

Quote:
This happens as the new Volkswagen engines will not have the 1.2-litre naturally aspirated globally. This shall be replaced by a 1.0-litre petrol engine. Now, this is also naturally aspirated and it will be a three-cylinder engine too.
Quote:
This engine will be producing about 76bhp of power and 95Nm of peak torque. This engine will come mated to a five-speed manual transmission. There will be a change in its performance and mileage both.
Quote:
There shall be no price reduction as confirmed by one of our sources. It will be the same like the current Polo

The next generation of VW products to be built on the localised MQB ( A0) platform is not expected before 2020.

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th February 2018 at 16:37.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 19:46   #2
BHPian

re: Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at the same price

I will be very surprised if this is true. Replacing 1.2 with a NA 1.0 that is less powerful on an already aging car? That sounds suicidal to me. The car is already heavier than competition and with market's preference towards petrols, why would they do that?

Last edited by pacman2881 : 17th February 2018 at 19:55.
pacman2881 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 20:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

But why would they do it? There is no tax benefit for moving from 1.2L to 1.0 and neither is the 1.0 a Turbo petrol, so why do this?
Or is this something to do with emissions? Were the current engines non compliant? Maybe getting ready for B.S. 6?
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 21:25   #4
BHPian

re: Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at the same price

Oh boy, didn’t expect such things from Volkswagen atleast. Pathetic. The 1.2 itself is a commuter, sub-standard engine. Wonder how this will be. I don’t see any reason to not add a turbo to it. Will be dead on arrival.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 00:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

A 1.0 TSi MT would've been a terrific offering slotting below the GT TSi to keep Polos moving until the model refresh, but VW wants to go backwards.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 07:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Having driven this variant of the Polo in Germany, I can assure that it is a total disappointment to drive especially when having more than two passengers. It also struggles to pull above 100 and needs the right gear to keep moving. Wrong choice of gear and below 2k RPM makes you feel that the engine is non responsive to any throttle input. The only upside is better fuel economy and better NVH compared to the 1.2L three cylinder engine.
audioholic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 07:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopetrol View Post
It's like completing a full circle where we are headed back to the 800cc era! Of course not forgetting the increased efficiency and performance of the current advanced engines.
On the contrary, manufacturers are slowly seeing that smaller engine size has not had that much effect on FE they had hoped to. However, I hope VW doesnt do this.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 11:05   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't think it's possible as a naturally-aspirated engine. The current 1.2L is anyway mediocre when compared to the others; a 1.0L n/a will be dead on arrival. Will go totally against VW's image.

If at all VW moves to a 1.0L, it'll be a turbo, but then that's going to add to the cost. As Condor mentioned (and we've seen this with the EcoSport 1.0L), smaller turbo engines aren't necessarily more efficient either.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 11:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't think it's possible as a naturally-aspirated engine. The current 1.2L is anyway mediocre when compared to the others; a 1.0L n/a will be dead on arrival. Will go totally against VW's image.

If at all VW moves to a 1.0L, it'll be a turbo, but then that's going to add to the cost. As Condor mentioned (and we've seen this with the EcoSport 1.0L), smaller turbo engines aren't necessarily more efficient either.
Forgot to mention earlier, it was a Turbocharged engine under the blue motion label. I only realised that after I came back from the drive and googled the specs. It was a rental car and I was worried about the lack of performance since I mistook it for a 1.2L mill. Only then I got to know I was driving a 1L turbocharged engine.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 12:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

VOLKSWAGEN POLO HATCHBACK TO RECEIVE 1.0-LITRE TSI ENGINE.

The German car maker has been testing the popular Polo hatchback with the 1.0-litre TSI engine in the Indian environment.

http://www.automotiveml.com/blog/vol...tre-tsi-engine
RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 09:21   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
VOLKSWAGEN POLO HATCHBACK TO RECEIVE 1.0-LITRE TSI ENGINE.
In VW's future plans foir India, the two petrol engines will be the 1-litre naturally aspirated (MPI), three-cylinder motor developing a modest 65hp to power the next-gen Polo and Skoda hatch (FABIA), the other 1.0L (Turbo) will power the sedans.

The more efficient three-cylinder 1.0 TSI or turbo-petrol developing 115hp is earmarked for the next Gen Sedans ( Vento and Rapid). The current four-cylinder 1.2 TSI will also make way for this engine.

The 1.5l diesel engine will exit with no replacement as of now.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th March 2018 at 09:25.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 14:38   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

---

Volkswagen announces the introduction of its 1.0L MPI engine in Polo replacing the. 1.2 L MPI engine. The introduction of this engine is expected in Ameo shortly, could be simultaneously when the AMEO GT TSI is launched!

Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at the same price-po.jpg

Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at the same price-p1.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th March 2018 at 14:57.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 14:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Final nail on the coffin for Petrol(Non TSi) Polo. 1.0 is down on torque and VW has decided not to reduce pricing. The new engine makes 95NM of torque against 110NM of 1.2 .

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new..._medium=Social

"Volkswagen has introduced its 1.0-litre MPI petrol engine in India to replace the existing 1.2-litre unit petrol on the Polo hatchback. We had broken the news of this move in the July 2017 issue of Autocar India magazine. This new-for-India 999cc, naturally-aspirated, three-cylinder engine makes 76hp at 6,200rpm and 95Nm at 3,000-4,300rpm. For reference, the older 1.2-litre engine made 75hp at 5,400rpm but a stronger 110Nm at 3,750rpm. Notably, the ARAI-tested fuel economy of 18.78kpl for the new 1.0 engine is a significant improvement over the older 1.2 unit’s 16.47kpl. The new engine is also lighter by about 18 kilograms and is understood to be BS-VI emission norms-ready."

Last edited by PrideRed : 9th March 2018 at 14:44.
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 15:20   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at the same price

Looks like I'm going to have to eat my own words. Didn't believe the news, or that VW could be so foolish. But they continue to amaze the industry. When the market has started moving to petrols in a big way, VW responds in the worst manner possible.

From the time of their entry into the mass market 7 years back, the company has only moved backward. And now, the Polo moves in reverse too . The 1.2L MPI was perhaps the worst 1.2L in the market; its only saving grace was the low-end driveability (which was actually pretty good). The VW dimwits now go and replace that with a smaller motor that makes lesser torque .

The Polo is not only the oldest B2 hatchback, but it's also now the one powered by the smallest engine, puniest engine and has the worst power / torque to weight ratios.

The pièce de résistance is this line from the press release = "prices remain the same with the Polo Trendline starting from INR 5,41,800 (ex-showroom)".

Last edited by GTO : 9th March 2018 at 15:21.
GTO is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 15:32   #15
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at the same price

I have a 2012 Polo and have been thinking about selling this and getting an automatic. How does this change the horrible resale value of old Polos? It might get a bit better because you cannot get a new 1.2L Polo now. Or it might get worse because who will now buy a petrol Polo anyways!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks