Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2018, 21:25   #31
BANNED

re: On Hyundai's new heartwarming ad (anniversary gift)

Forget Hyundai, the way Maruti Suzuki is making 'an experience' out of the 'Nexa', I won't be surprised if Nexa people actually start this!
Old 18th February 2018, 00:20   #32
BHPian

Some Maruti Suzuki dealers actually do something like. While buying a car, they ask for details like this and whenever it's a birthday or an anniversary they call the customers and wish them. I remember my friend getting free service for his birthday.

But this is only in the case when customer gives the details.
Old 18th February 2018, 00:27   #33
BHPian

This is one of those extra ads they make, for presentation, that never get released, right? I'd be shocked if they were running it mainstream. It is, as concept, in execution, its dialogue and dialogue delivery, sooooo cringeworthy !
Old 18th February 2018, 05:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
This is one of those extra ads they make, for presentation, that never get released, right? I'd be shocked if they were running it mainstream. It is, as concept, in execution, its dialogue and dialogue delivery, sooooo cringeworthy !
It is running on YouTube as an ad played before any other video that you want to play.

So fascinating (of course for all the wrong reasons) that I didn’t click skip ad, watched the whole thing and then got its URL to make that long post at the start of this thread.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 11:08   #35
BHPian

Two issues on this one

1. Hyundai's very poor ad. Absolutely immoral to over hear a private conversation and then, as the OP says, to make use of it to look at some personal data.

2. Team-BHP calling this as heartwarming ad

I am more shocked by Team-BHP calling this as heartwarming ad than by the foolish attempt by Hyundai

Last edited by searacer932 : 18th February 2018 at 11:13.
Old 18th February 2018, 11:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Two issues on this one

1. Hyundai's very poor ad. Absolutely immoral to over hear a private conversation and then, as the OP says, to make use of it to look at some personal data.

2. Team-BHP calling this as heartwarming ad

I am more shocked by Team-BHP calling this as heartwarming ad than by the foolish attempt by Hyundai
Boss, as the OP I was the one that set the subject. The aim of the ad is to make it heartwarming, like the service centre is one big extension of your family. So that succeeds, calling the old man uncle, asking after how aunty is, casually eavesdropping their private conversation etc.

Let us just say I was being sarcastic and leave it at that?
Old 18th February 2018, 12:19   #37
BHPian

The saddest part of this ad is that the Service Advisor doesn't fix the glovebox on purpose just so that he can surprise the owner with a gift and promises to fix it the next day. Just fix the damn glovebox and ask the owner to open it to make sure that the fix is to his satisfaction, the owner could even be discussing with his wife how his day was and open the glovebox to show what was happening.

Almost seems like Hyundai is advertising what poor service and professionalism they have.
jalajprakash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 16:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Really moronic ad which hopefully goes viral for all the wrong reasons for Hyundai.

1. Do the guys at the center really have that smiley pin attached to their shirts perennially? That in itself is ridiculous
2. It looks like the Hyundai guy placed the gift in the glove box as he is quite sure that the customer would forget to buy something for his wife. If I am a customer and I see something like that, my first reaction would be to blow my roof, not be smiling that ah, my SA remembered what I forgot . Insane!!

Data privacy is a myth, we should get used to it
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 00:49   #39
BHPian

Good intentions gone wrong, and dumb too. I don't find any issue with the privacy, apart from some elites no one really cares about privacy in India, unless its some really important stuff. These days telecaller call me offering cards with almost all my life history in hand. The dumb part is advertising a fault, dumber part is not fixing it.

But at the end of the days it's just an ad, choose your battles..

Last edited by anand.shankar : 19th February 2018 at 00:53.
Old 19th February 2018, 02:08   #40
BHPian

I am more offended by the lack of brains rather than the lack of privacy.

1) Show your car has a defect
2) Show you eavesdrop on conversations
3) “Uncle ke PERSONAL details dekhna”. Why the emphasis on personal? So stupid.
4) Purposely not fixing the defect. This took the cake for me. I mean, wow.

Hyundai, you dropped the ball here.
vantheman5211 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 06:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Good intentions gone wrong, and dumb too. I don't find any issue with the privacy, apart from some elites no one really cares about privacy in India,
We are verging far afield from cars now so I will just say this and stop here. Please PM if you’d like to discuss further.

Even if you’re not an elite what do you feel like if someone listens in on a private conversation with your wife, or catches sight of you performing a personal bodily function (eg using the toilet)? Annoyed and embarrassed right - even those who can’t afford an enclosed bathroom or toilet.

That means people do care about privacy, but the widespread privacy abuse we are seeing here has desensitised people to it and just how dangerous it’s consequences can be .. marketing pests are a bare fraction of the harm possible when your personal data is scattered to the four winds.

For example there’s identity theft where your bank account gets emptied, or false ID in your name gets used to acquire something (a rental car, cellphone etc) that gets used for a crime or terror incident. So you see - what you think is the only consequence is the tip of the iceberg.
Old 19th February 2018, 07:28   #42
Team-BHP Support

The advt. is quite silly – Hyundai’s attempt to play on Indian emotions. Infact almost everything is played on touch that emotional side – be it a reality show or an automobile advt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I'm not sure what is the extent of these data protection laws in EU and what information is public (which you might think is private).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
In the EU anyone gathering such third party data and blatantly marketing based on it would face substantial civil and even criminal penalties for privacy violations and data theft.
I think there is a difference – my experience is similar to what StarrySky has mentioned. The data protection laws are pretty strong here in Singapore, but we do get situation-based marketing calls. That said, you have an option to opt-out; almost every form which collects your personal data (say ID card no.) will have the option to choose whether you want the company or affiliated partners can contact you.
Old 19th February 2018, 19:07   #43
BHPian

Re: On Hyundai's new heartwarming ad (anniversary gift)

So the ending note says “Hyundai understand the value of relationship” by sending an anniversary gift. But sadly, there is another message that was conveyed as well - That ‘at Hyundai, they do not value the time of the customer’.

I understand that some problems keep cropping up again and again. But why would someone drop the car back and have the guts to call the customer to tell that they will fix the issue the next day!
Old 19th February 2018, 19:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

On Hyundai's new heartwarming ad (anniversary gift)

Problem not resolved even after a visit to a Hyundai authorised service..

Terrible. Have Hyundai changed their advertising agency? I have known Hyundai to come up with great adverts and initiatives.

Less said the better about the Anniversary and the data protection. Now with Aadhaar linking to almost everything made compulsory, Hyundai will know your blood pressure and sugar levels shortly:Lol: No idea how UADI plan to protect data in India.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks