Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2018, 12:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Conflict of interest in Auto Journalism?

Must watch:

Quote:
If you are one of those journalists, this treatment is much better than you can afford on vacation. Attending a launch is like having the best holiday imaginable, only with - at best - barely competent fools you generally can't stand. And you can do it forever - as long as you don’t criticize the cars.
Any attending journalist absolutely will not be invited back if he or she is terribly critical of the car or the company. It’s also fair to say that most reviews do not disclose the 20 or 30 thousand dollars that have been spent on them, facilitating this rockstar opportunity to write a pleasant report about the car du jour.
People on the content side of the media business - journalists, producers, editors - they can be passionate about reporting - many are - I certainly am - but people on the advertising sales side of the business actually rule the roost because the content side burns money, and the advertising side generates it. And car companies spend so much money advertising. They are one of the last truly big spenders. Even in an embarrassingly small market like Australia, the top automotive brands are each spending tens of millions on advertising. The right advertising relationship between a media outlet and key carmakers can mean millions of dollars of profit.
If a car review is critical - in part - it validates whatever praise you might also read. But if the review is wholly positive, the lack of criticism instantly invalidates any and all praise. No car deserves not to be criticised. If it’s all praise with a smattering of specifications, the reviewer who wrote the review is just riding the car company fellatio and all-level-partnering gravy train. Look hard for criticism. If it’s not there, run.

Related read - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ournalism.html
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 12:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Conflict of interest in Auto Journalism?

I recall an experience in 2013, it was a time when there were repeated incidents of engine seize on Chevrolet's Sail and Enjoy vehicles. I was aware of the root cause and posted the same on this forum. I had some conversations with a Moderator, we decided not to delete the post. Truth was never revealed to customers by GM, none of the Auto Journalists ever tried to find the reason, but we did on this forum. This is why team-bhp is special and different from other paid websites.

Last edited by deehunk : 21st February 2018 at 12:43.
deehunk is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed