Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2007, 12:46   #106
Senior - BHPian

Linea review by autoexpress UK

Found this review of the Linea by Autoexpress, UK. Lots of pics in the link too. Not a fan of the rear of the car though.

Quote:
First Opinion: The new Linea should have no problem generating the sales that Fiat is hoping for. With an elegantly executed exterior and a spacious, refined cabin, it is sure to be a hit. The great ride in particular stands out. Only the noisy and slightly breathless diesel lets the package down. The company says it has no plans to bring this car to the UK. However, with right-hand-drive production due to start at Fiat's Indian plants in 2008, don't be surprised if range-topping Lineas turn up in a showroom near you within the next few years.
Have Fiat started making Linea's already that autoexpress got to sample one?

Source: Fiat Linea Emotion 1.3 Multi-jet: First drive by autoexpress, UK

Last edited by amit : 15th May 2007 at 12:48.
Old 15th May 2007, 12:50   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only the noisy and slightly breathless diesel lets the package down.
The 1.3 has no business doing business on the Linea. IMHO.

Quote:
However, with right-hand-drive production due to start at Fiat's Indian plants in 2008
So it is coming after all. i only hope India does not remain a manufacturing base only. What about the Punto? Speed up, you Italians.
Old 15th May 2007, 13:05   #108
Senior - BHPian

Now, who says I don't like a sedan?
Old 15th May 2007, 15:23   #109
BHPian

According to the autoexpress website, the 1.3L 90 bhp would cost GBP 13,500. Does that mean it will be launched in India in the 10L+ category?
Old 15th May 2007, 18:02   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Have Fiat started making Linea's already that autoexpress got to sample one?
Source: Fiat Linea Emotion 1.3 Multi-jet: First drive by autoexpress, UK
Well last I heard, FIAT was supposed to launch the car in Turkey by June or something like that. It was launched this month, so you can be rest assured they have started manufacturing. Check this out:

- Fiat Linea -
Old 15th May 2007, 18:03   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
And both the guys on NDTV Car n Bike show are hopeless... The reviewer does not even know what he should share about cars n the cameraman does not know when n where he should point the camera... Useless spending of money...
I agree completely. These automag guys just tour abroad in exotic places and review some long existing cars and finally make wild guesses about their chances of being lauched in India. Its become a trend now across all business channels. I wish there was a professional auto show in any desi channels. Top Gear in BBC was ok. Atleast Jeremy never had any qualms in criticizing his subjects to the core.

Quote:
.. but I like it as I can see few beauties...
But for seeing great cars channels like HBO will be even better . These automag guys will use some awkward camera angles and we will never get a proper idea of how it looks like in real.
Old 16th May 2007, 11:37   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
The 1.3 has no business doing business on the Linea. IMHO.
Why not? With the 1.3, they could take on the high end Fiesta Sxi Dsl's, Verna's and Corolla executive and the 1.9 could be for the luxury private buyer. Because the Linea will be bigger then the Fiesta and Verna's, it will appeal to the taxi segment too. Thing is, I feel the 1.9 JTd would be priced around Civic levels and that price and with the competition, Fiat would really struggle to sell the car even with the diesel advantage.

About the car, I am not impressed with the interior's and I hope Tata will at least have the good sense to advise Fiat to upgrade the Linea's interiors before the car's Indian launch. Right now, the interior is a straight lift from the Grande Punto and that may work in Europe but I really doubt Indian buyers would accept interiors from a 5-6 lac rupee car on a 8-10 lac rupee one. And I hope they don't do a wood finish upgrade.
Old 16th May 2007, 11:47   #113
BHPian

A 1.3 i have posted earlier that it will be a blunder by fiat. A 1.9 is what it needs, because linea is a now or never kind of product for fiat. And about 1.4 turbo petrol they can very well use it on adventure, it is a brilliant performer and frugal too. Should nt give it again on linea to provide it a premium impression.
Old 16th May 2007, 13:03   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
A 1.3 i have posted earlier that it will be a blunder by fiat. A 1.9 is what it needs, because linea is a now or never kind of product for fiat. And about 1.4 turbo petrol they can very well use it on adventure, it is a brilliant performer and frugal too. Should nt give it again on linea to provide it a premium impression.
As of now, they have no plans to manufacture the JTD 1.9. Only 1.3 is planned. Check this:

Tata Motors - Media Centre

The engine manufacturing envisages the highly acclaimed Fiat 1.3 litre multi-jet diesel engine, the 1.4 litre and a new 1.2 litre gasoline engine, both of the 'Fire' family, and Fiat transmissions.

On the other hand, MUL will be manufacturing three engines from the JTD family: the 1.3, 1.6 and the 2.0 which is newer than 1.9.
Old 16th May 2007, 13:10   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Why not? With the 1.3, they could take on the high end Fiesta Sxi Dsl's, Verna's and Corolla executive and the 1.9 could be for the luxury private buyer.
Dude, what do you like about your S10?
Old 16th May 2007, 14:04   #116
Senior - BHPian

Just remember that Octavia also has a 90 bhp dsl engine.

It will have to be seen how the engine will be tuned for Indian conditions. The fact that you get huge torque in the range that is used the most will compensate for less power to an extent.

All said and done, I definitely want Fiat to bring in Linea with the 1.9 JTD. But my point is, 1.3 JTD with VGT will not be totally out of place in India.
Old 19th May 2007, 13:10   #117
HSV
BHPian

Here is another news item.

Fiat Linea makes market debut

I also read elsewhere that it may be expected that the Linea may be launched somewhere under the 6 lac tag!! The price range lauched in Turkey is between 4.5 lac to 6 lac (after conversion). Wow!
Old 19th May 2007, 13:13   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Just remember that Octavia also has a 90 bhp dsl engine.

It will have to be seen how the engine will be tuned for Indian conditions. The fact that you get huge torque in the range that is used the most will compensate for less power to an extent.

All said and done, I definitely want Fiat to bring in Linea with the 1.9 JTD. But my point is, 1.3 JTD with VGT will not be totally out of place in India.
Just watched the NDTV review of Linea, the reviewer was also saying the same thing that 1.9 L diesel engine will make it to India along with a high-revving petrol varient.
Old 20th May 2007, 13:28   #119
Senior - BHPian

just watched cnbc review of linea - i feel like thrashing the guy who did the review. neither does he talk in detail like ndtv, nor does he conclude on anything, nor does he show the car properly. sick chaps. rear legroom is ultimate and three can easily sit, but that guy says even with 120bhp, the car doesnt pull properly in city, but only on highways. the looks personally didnt impress me the front looks rather projected and the rear again isnt something to brag home about. though the same looks good on punto since its a hatch. half the time the show was hogged by advertisers as usual.
Old 20th May 2007, 13:41   #120
Senior - BHPian

Should fiat launch the punto first or the linea in india, my thought's are that the linea should come first.

Will the punto not be sold in the swift category.Linea will help punto garner interest as a premium segment hatchback.

Most Viewed