Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2018, 11:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi: Online transfer of vehicle registration certificates

Quote:
Another major initiative by the department, which too will begin from March 7, is the online transfer of vehicle registration certificates (RCs). All RTOs will process the transfer of RC cases only online and applicants will have to visit the transport department office only in case of any discrepancy in documents or signatures. The department has already started sending RCs through speed post to the residence of applicants and SMS alerts are sent to applicants regularly after each transaction.
Source : Times of India

This is an excellent step in right direction and is going to take away the middlemen. On the face of it, this might also provide some sort of solution to ensure transfer of the vehicle to the right person atleast within Delhi. Such system should be extremely useful in the light of the recent SC order casting responsibility of damage payout on the 'registered owner'.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 11:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Online transfer of vehicle registration certificates

Definitely a step in the right direction. It should streamline the whole process, and cut out the middle men (corrupt practice)

They should implement the same in all major cities and towns that have appreciable internet useage.

Kudos to this step
Ricky_63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 11:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Online transfer of vehicle registration certificates

This is definitely useful especially considering SC ruling that the old owner is responsible till the name is transferred in Govt records.

Even a property transfer doesn't take such a long time as the RTO takes to transfer a cars' ownership details. So it somehow seems deliberate that other state Govts make ownership transfer a long & cumbersome process.

Anyway, hope other states follow the same process.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 4th March 2018 at 11:18.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 10:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi: Online transfer of vehicle registration certificates

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
This is an excellent step in right direction and is going to take away the middlemen. On the face of it, this might also provide some sort of solution to ensure transfer of the vehicle to the right person atleast within Delhi. Such system should be extremely useful in the light of the recent SC order casting responsibility of damage payout on the 'registered owner'.
Great move indeed. Not only does it improve the timeframe for the transfer, but also the ease of doing things. For most working folks, taking a day's leave is not possible just to go to the RTO for work. After the online system of issuing driving licenses and new car registrations, this move will definitely benefit many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Anyway, hope other states follow the same process.
Currently, most of the state RTOs use the software portal 'Vahaan' developed by the National Informatics Centre, under the eyes of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH). Eventually all the states will have a similar process for most RTO related work.
Old 5th March 2018, 10:22   #5
BHPian

Re: Delhi: Online transfer of vehicle registration certificates

This is definitely a step in right direction and other states should follow the same. When I was selling my car few years back, it was quite a hassle to ensure that I am free from all accountability as soon as I handed over the keys to the buyer. Second time I just sold it to reputed pre-owned car dealer to ensure peace of mind, but then the quote was bit less compared to what I could have got in the direct deal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks