Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2018, 15:34   #391
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Sorry tend to disagree on these two points. The whole point of having a petrol motor is to rev it unlike diesels. What you are talking about is diesel territory, while a petrol motor needs to be revved to extract performance and that is the whole point.
I guess that depends on which car and its usage too. Most people who buy a C segment sedan buy it for city purposes - and having to revv the motor unnecessarily wont be a pleasant experience to them.

Frankly - none of the current crop of C segmenters are very sporty either to hype the sporty engine so much. Such motor was required when there were options like the Fiesta (for an example) around. But most of the current crop are focused on interior space and features and not very much on the driving experience - with a matching soft suspension setup too. These cars are best complimented by a refined and driveable engine rather than a revv happy one with poor low end.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 16:44   #392
BHPian

Saw the new Ciaz Nexa Blue in person today. Not sure if there is anyone in here who like me feels that the earlier one had a better front fascia. The rear in the new one looks a bit more premium. But the face now feels like borrowed from Tata Nexon. A smiling grill? :S
VWAllstar is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 18:32   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
...Maruti seem to be expecting lot of buyers for petrol, hence the prices have been kept below 10L for Alpha variant petrol, however the diesel alpha variant is costlier by over 2L ex-showroom and this translates to around 3L difference between petrol and diesel...
The petrol (manual) Alpha is priced at 9.97L while diesel Alpha is 10.97L ex showroom (Bangalore). To me, it looks like just 1L premium, which is the norm in the industry. The price list is shared couple of posts above your post.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 05:58   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The petrol (manual) Alpha is priced at 9.97L while diesel Alpha is 10.97L ex showroom (Bangalore). To me, it looks like just 1L premium, which is the norm in the industry. The price list is shared couple of posts above your post.
Thanks, sorry for the confusion. I think I was looking at the old prices new prices are 12.09L and 13 .9L for petrol and Diesel respectively. They have reduced the price for diesel while petrol is bit expensive now.

I was trying to highlight the additional difference due to the ex-showroom price exceeding 10L
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 09:06   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Saw the new Ciaz Nexa Blue in person today. Not sure if there is anyone in here who like me feels that the earlier one had a better front fascia. The rear in the new one looks a bit more premium. But the face now feels like borrowed from Tata Nexon. A smiling grill? :S
I had the exact feeling when I spotted 2 new Ciaz cars on road yesterday. It actually took me a while to determine it was the new Ciaz, while the car was approaching from far. I kind of liked the looks in the pics but on road, it just didn't feel too great.
Old 24th August 2018, 09:22   #396
BHPian

- Still the same old steering wheel. Even the new Swift and Dzire get a better steering wheel
- No soft touch plastics anywhere in the dashboard on a premium car
- The wood trim of lighter shade on the dash looks quite bad. The earlier darker shade was better
- All reviews have said that the new 1.5L petrol engine is as good only or as bad as the earlier 1.4L petrol engine
- No 6 airbags and no all wheel disc brakes in any variant on a supposedly premium car. The Ciaz is more Maruti, no no not Nexa, than any Maruti cars
- No sunroof
- No automated wipers
- No ventilated seats
- 4 speed AT in this age? Don't they have a better auto transmission.

If these points were addressed then certainly it would have made the car a lot more complete package. The current update looks like a half baked attempt by Maruti four years into the life cycle of Ciaz. The update is all about chrome, chrome and more chrome.

How about the build quality and structural integrity? Is the Ciaz as safe as the Yaris when it comes to these two parameters?

Last edited by searacer932 : 24th August 2018 at 09:30.
searacer932 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 12:55   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
- Still the same old steering wheel. Even the new Swift and Dzire get a better steering wheel
- The wood trim of lighter shade on the dash looks quite bad. The earlier darker shade was better
- All reviews have said that the new 1.5L petrol engine is as good only or as bad as the earlier 1.4L petrol engine
- No 6 airbags and no all wheel disc brakes in any variant on a supposedly premium car. The Ciaz is more Maruti, no no not Nexa, than any Maruti cars
- No sunroof
- No automated wipers
- No ventilated seats

If these points were addressed then certainly it would have made the car a lot more complete package. The current update looks like a half baked attempt by Maruti four years into the life cycle of Ciaz. The update is all about chrome, chrome and more chrome.

How about the build quality and structural integrity? Is the Ciaz as safe as the Yaris when it comes to these two parameters?
+1.
I was actually surprised that this thread was kind of neutral to positive whereas Team Bhp is known for coming down really hard to half-baked attempts like this.

Apart from the points you called out above, I feel the new styling makes it look cheap and gaudy, particularly the front and rear chrome around fog lamps. The only thing which stands out are the new headlights and DRLs.

The USP for the Ciaz was only pricing vs the City or Verna, and it still remains the same apart from Maruti loyalists.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 13:14   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
+1.
I was actually surprised that this thread was kind of neutral to positive whereas Team Bhp is known for coming down really hard to half-baked attempts like this.

Apart from the points you called out above, I feel the new styling makes it look cheap and gaudy, particularly the front and rear chrome around fog lamps. The only thing which stands out are the new headlights and DRLs.

The USP for the Ciaz was only pricing vs the City or Verna, and it still remains the same apart from Maruti loyalists.
USP of Ciaz is not pricing, it's Value. Alpha manual top model retails at less than a million rupees - Keeping that in mind, the features, S P A C E, and looks (to me, it looks much better than the City, from every angle) make it a positive facelift, although as many of us have mentioned, it could have been better (6 airbags, better looking interior etc).

Having said that, what is the USP of City? Revv-happy engine, that's it? And Verna? (looks being subjective) Ventilated seats?

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 24th August 2018 at 13:29.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 14:58   #399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
While this Ciaz is definitely outdated because we prefer last decades German styling.
Don't care much for the sarcasm going on, but then - I'm on the side that feels the new Ciaz looks good. Looks as much 'European' and elegant and Asian cars come, IMO.

No unnecessary cuts, creases or bulges anywhere. Chrome yes, but the subtle use does look good in the signature NEXA shade.

The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs-2018marutisuzukiciaz32.jpg

The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs-2018marutisuzukiciaz43.jpg

The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs-2018marutisuzukiciaz4.jpg

Source - http://overdrive.in/reviews/2019-mar...-drive-review/

Quote:
True. The automatic is not worth considering - except for those only using inside the city.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th August 2018 at 15:12.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 17:43   #400
BHPian

Quote:
- No sunroof
- No automated wipers
- No ventilated seats
Agree on steering, 4 speed AT and 6 airbags. However, interior looks nice and elegant. None of the competitors offer soft touch plastics, 4 wheel disc brakes. I prefer a stronger roof than sunroof and don't care for auto wipers or headlamps. I prefer a variable intermittent wiper and rear fog lamp which are necessary in rainy and foggy conditions, which are missing.
More power is welcome however with that irritating beep post 120 don't know how will people enjoy city and verna engines, once the regulations kick in.

Quote:
+1.
I feel the new styling makes it look cheap and gaudy, particularly the front and rear chrome around fog lamps. The only thing which stands out are the new headlights and DRLs.
I have gone through all the reviews and everyone has appreciated the facelift in terms of looks. I don't like the grill however, the car looks nicer than before for sure. Styling is subjective to individual taste. And Maruti also has a list of duds despite their loyalists!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
USP of Ciaz is not pricing, it's Value. Alpha manual top model retails at less than a million rupees - Keeping that in mind, the features, S P A C E, and looks make it a positive facelift, although as many of us have mentioned, it could have been better (6 airbags, better looking interior etc).
Agree

Last edited by GTO : 25th August 2018 at 10:22. Reason: Last post of your quotes has been deleted
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 17:53   #401
BHPian

Quote:

Pricing is a winner, but USPs include space and comfort as well, especially if someone is chauffeur driven. I would just stop short of comparing these by bypassing the segment altogether and say that it is D-segment competing. Lest this is reported as blasphemy.
sandx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 20:21   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Premium Silver Shade, replaces Silky Silver

The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs-img20180823wa0026.jpg

The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs-img20180823wa0024.jpg

The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs-img20180823wa0028.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 21:33   #403
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi_jeeper View Post
The service advisor confirmed that the new petrol has two batteries and the diesel has just one. The additional battery in the petrol is a lithium-ion battery. As per the advisor's version, its job is to provide torque assist while overtaking. The advisor said that the start-stop is taken care by the primary lead-acid battery.

I asked the advisor about the voltage, cost and period of replacement of the lithium-ion battery. He had no answers to these questions.

The manual book talked of replacing the ISG belt after fixed intervals in a diesel but not in the petrol. There was no explanation to this as well.
Strange! I guess, Maruti haven't yet trained the technicians about these components. The ISG belt and Li-ion battery are expected to last at least a few years before begging for a replacement. Maruti has plenty of time until then and could train the technicians in these aspects in the coming months.

Quote:

I reset the average FE meter before the test drive and at the end of a 3 km test drive with a very light foot and mostly in 2nd , 3rd and 4th gear, it displayed 16.7 kmpl. My old petrol gives similar figures in these conditions.
3km, I'd say is too small a distance to judge a car's fuel efficiency. I'm sure it'll post better results in the long run. As in, 2-3km/l of improvement.

Quote:
I was told that if the AC temperature is set to a level and the hybrid has shut the engine while the car is stationary, then the engine will restart to power the AC if the cabin temperature goes higher than the set temperature. I asked what about the Sigma model which has a manual AC, there was no answer.
That's exactly the question that came to my mind. Even in manual ACs, the compressor rests intermittently. I guess, the ISG would kickstart the engine when the compressor asks it to.

Anyways, I'll wait for an official answer. Please do post it here if anyone gets an answer from their advisor.

Quote:
All in all, I would stay away from all these electronics.
Well, I'd stay away from anything new. Like the new 1.5 petrol, the initial batches of Celerio AMT, the 800cc Celerio diesel, the 1st year of SHVS diesel, etc. I usually give any new tech/product about 1 year to sort out teething issues.

About 2 batteries (petrol) vs 1 (diesel):

Petrol revs faster and higher. So it can generate more current and do it rapidly. The lead-acid battery can neither charge nor discharge as quickly as the Li-ion.

The ability to quickly discharge is all the more important in the petrol because of its poorer torque ratings. Meanwhile, the diesel has a better bottom end so it doesn't need much torque from the battery in the first place.

About the belt replacement:

The diesel engine will certainly make the belt work harder because of its ~16:1 compression ratio. The petrol ISG will have an easier time getting the crank rotating because of a much lower compression ratio.

Much thanks Jassi for sharing your experience.

Quote:
The current update looks like a half-baked attempt by Maruti four years into the life cycle of Ciaz. The update is all about chrome, chrome and more chrome.
Yup. It does look half-baked. That's why it's called a facelift/mid-life refresh. Swift, Dzire, and Verna are generation changes. Similarly, the Dzire and swift look like they're far ahead of the new Grand i10 and Xcent, because the Hyundai's were refreshed while the Swift/Dzire received a generation update. The Ciaz will have its time in another 3-4 years.

Quote:
As far as crash compliance goes, I'm sure it meets the NCAP requirements. Beyond that, it's up to the manufacturer to decide whether demand/potential profits justify the investment in the development + manufacturing abilities.

If there's enough demand, Maruti will certainly bring the features you mentioned. You'll see that with time.

Mark my words, the Nexa will park a Rs 25 lakh rupee car on the showroom floor before 2025.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 24th August 2018 at 22:02.
MaheshY1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 22:49   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
As far as crash compliance goes, I'm sure it meets the NCAP requirements. Beyond that, it's up to the manufacturer to decide whether demand/potential profits justify the investment in the development + manufacturing abilities.
It has been built keeping local law coming into force, not the Euro-NCAP or any other international organisation. We can't be sure if it performs well until they test it and make the results public.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 23:04   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
Wow !! That gives me some hope. Is the source of the information credible? Can you share that as well? If this is true, I would consider one for my next purchase. Please do keep us folks posted.
DieselAddikt is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks