Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2018, 17:14   #436
BANNED

Re: The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Placement of the Lithium-ion battery pack in the new Ciaz:

Attachment 1793659
Can somebody comment on how safe it is to leave a Li battery in the cabin? It may keep the batteries cool when the car's moving. But, what about sunny days when the cabin of a parked car turns into an oven?

Call it paranoia, but I don't even leave my GPS in the car when parked in sun.
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 17:33   #437
BHPian

Having been using the previous gen Ciaz auto and to people who are apprehensive about the gearbox, experience it first hand. Agreed it's not a match to most of the other auto boxes available in the market but its not bad either.

To me, it gets the job done. Moves a big vehicle without much fuss and have not run into a panic situation on the highways too. May be there is difference of how numbers play out on paper and on the road. For someone (like me) who does not like pushing the vehicle too hard and demands some grunt only at times, this gearbox gets that done without much drama.

Have regularly used it on the highways (just did a quick 700+ kms) last Sunday and the drive was a pleasant one with the car doing 3 digit speeds without much strain.
vinair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 17:49   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Ciaz powered by its 1.5l diesel spied on test. Expect an early 2019 launch.

The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs-newmaruticiazdieselspied2.jpg

The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs-newmaruticiazdieselspied12640x311.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th August 2018 at 17:51.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 17:53   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Having been using the previous gen Ciaz auto and to people who are apprehensive about the gearbox, experience it first hand. Agreed it's not a match to most of the other auto boxes available in the market but its not bad either.
Couldn't agree with you more, and this is from someone who drives a remapped T-Jet.

Did a Bombay-Baroda-Bombay trip in a friends Ciaz auto a year ago and was pleasantly surprised at how competent it was. The journey was stress free, and the front seat was nice and comfy. The only hitch for me was the steering which had a mind of it's own and needed constant correction.

The 4-speed auto is not bad at all.
Old 27th August 2018, 17:59   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki Ciaz powered by its 1.5l diesel spied on test. Expect an early 2019 launch.
Not sure the need for camouflage anymore considering the car has already been revealed. Any reason for the cloaks?
Old 28th August 2018, 10:14   #441
BHPian

Maruti Ciaz accessories list revealed.

Quote:
Given below is the entire list of accessories that buyers can avail to personalise their Ciaz.

Collection Opulence

Premium body covers – NA
Premium tissue holder – NA
Interior styling kit in birch beige finish – Rs 5,000
Number plate garnish – Rs 990
Illuminated door sill guards – Rs 3,500
Leather steering cover – Rs 1,090
Door visors – Rs 1,390
Premium leather seat covers – Rs 7,000
Designer floor mats – NA
Beige cushions – NA
Body side moulding – Rs 3,500

Collection Affluence

Interior styling kit in birch beige finish – Rs 5,000
Leather steering cover – Rs 1,090
Illuminated door sill guards – Rs 3,500
Door visors – Rs 1,390
Body side moulding – Rs 3,500
Premium carpet mats – NA
Beige cushions – NA

Other Accessories

Rear spoiler – Rs 11,000
Exterior Styling kit – Rs 25,000
Diamond arrow finish alloy wheels – Rs 26,000
Rear seat entertainment system – NA
Touchscreen multimedia player – Rs 25,000
Premium fabric seat covers – NA
2-way coaxial 260 W speakers, subwoofer and a 5-channel amplifier music system – Rs 21,000
Digital tyre inflator – Rs 2,500
Air purifier – NA
Reversing Camera – Rs 10,000
Fog Lamps – Rs 4,000
Source:ACI
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 11:20   #442
BHPian

I have been driving the 4 speed auto for almost 70,000 kms now. It is pretty smooth in normal driving conditions. If you are at a good speed and suddenly stop, then the TC auto box is completely foxed, but that would be true for any TC or CVT auto box.
I remember an occasion when I was driving up the Yellapur ghat and I had to stop behind a crawling truck. It was a pain trying to overtake the truck on the steep slope after stopping despite putting it in "2" position temporarily. The auto box requires some planning while overtaking. It is fine otherwise.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Couldn't agree with you more, and this is from someone who drives a remapped T-Jet.

Did a Bombay-Baroda-Bombay trip in a friends Ciaz auto a year ago and was pleasantly surprised at how competent it was. The journey was stress free, and the front seat was nice and comfy. The only hitch for me was the steering which had a mind of it's own and needed constant correction.

The 4-speed auto is not bad at all.
pradkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 16:02   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Test drove the new petrol AT. And the very first thing we noticed was the heavy dose of chrome all around. It did look bad in pictures but in person it looked even more tacky and aftermarket. Kind of ruins the premium look and feel of the car. The interiors though are so much better and the overall quality seems to be nice, if not very good. Ciaz has always offered great space and this car is no different. Three adults at the back bench didn't complain. Full marks on interiors and space.

The new petrol engine is weak or lets just say is "sufficient" for city use. The 4 speed AT is such a joke. We took it on NH and the lack of 5th gear was immediately evident. Not done, Maruti. 1 million bucks, premium interiors and this lackluster gearbox - huge mismatch. Came out disappointed overall. I thought Maruti has missed a trick here by not offering a better gearbox plus the new petrol engine is not even close to that tasty 1.5 ivtec engine and that includes driving in city traffic. It just feels underpowered with full house which isn't the case with Honda City. For those who do lots of highway trips - just don't buy this petrol AT.
Sir, quick question...are you saying that there should have been another gear ratio after the 4th (which basically is an overdrive) or somewhere between 1st & 3rd?

I own an Alpha AT since the past year & having done many highway trips I can confidently say that this car in its AT configuration is more than adequate. It can easily maintain 3digit speeds & returning exceptional fuel economy. Let it be known that speed limits on most of our highways are 100kmph & in some cases even 80kmph.
vijit.gangwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 17:44   #444
BHPian

Yes, very apparent from my previous post that the 5th gear was sorely missed on GT Karnal road while the car does okay in city traffic conditions. With five passengers, the engine was struggling to pull and the 4th gear was screaming for that additional gear. Speed - within legal limit (90kmph) no doubt about it.

Glad the gearbox works for you. Not for me. Expected a better and engaging driving experience which the car didn't offer. Felt like a half baked cookie . Looking for a replacement for our Vento, had waited for this facelift and I'm definitely disappointed with it.
Col Mehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 18:18   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Yes, very apparent from my previous post that the 5th gear was sorely missed on GT Karnal road while the car does okay in city traffic conditions. With five passengers, the engine was struggling to pull and the 4th gear was screaming for that additional gear. Speed - within legal limit (90kmph) no doubt about it.

Glad the gearbox works for you. Not for me. Expected a better and engaging driving experience which the car didn't offer. Felt like a half baked cookie . Looking for a replacement for our Vento, had waited for this facelift and I'm definitely disappointed with it.
If you are comparing it for response with the DSG gearbox then it's a no contest, but if you look at it as a functional gearbox that does its job it works. It's certainly not an enthusiasts car, but for people like my friend who wants a value for money car that is comfortable and dependable it excels.

I had no problems maintaining a steady triple digit speed if I planned my overtakes and used part throttle inputs, and this is with 3 on board plus luggage. I do agree that, the few times I floored it it did nothing except produce noise. For me, it exceeded my expectations.
keroo1099 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 18:30   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
If you are comparing it for response with the DSG gearbox then it's a no contest, but if you look at it as a functional gearbox that does its job it works. It's certainly not an enthusiasts car, but for people like my friend who wants a value for money car that is comfortable and dependable it excels.

I had no problems maintaining a steady triple digit speed if I planned my overtakes and used part throttle inputs, and this is with 3 on board plus luggage. I do agree that, the few times I floored it it did nothing except produce noise. For me, it exceeded my expectations.
Nope, never compared it with any other gearbox, just want value for my money and I don't think this gearbox deserves it. My perspective, right? Likewise, very glad it works for you, your expectation meets with the outcome. But not for me. Period.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 28th August 2018 at 18:31.
Col Mehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 08:28   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Sangaria Red shade:

Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 20:59   #448
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
Not sure the need for camouflage anymore considering the car has already been revealed. Any reason for the cloaks?
Could be because the cars were on test much before launch itself. The wrap on this test mule looks very similar to the cars spied initially.

Maruti would need extensive testing since this is their first diesel engine, the Celerio one not even worth considering.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 01:14   #449
BHPian

I did a test drive for the Petrol Alpha today. I registered through website at two dealers in Jaipur yesterday. One called and promised a test drive and true to his word he sent a car on TC number. The other dealer also called but requested to come to showroom as the car was not registered.
Later I came to know that one demo car is shared among all the dealers in the city.
Coming to test drive, I will share my experience in terms of + and - points.

+ Car looks nicer than before and the nexa blue shade suits the car. DRLS look nice and lend an upmarket look to the earlier sober face of car.
+ The instrument panel and MID screen do lend some premium quotient to car, though the blue needles look out of place.
+ Seamless idle stop start system (ISSS). Just shift into neutral while stationary and the car will switch off with a green idle start stop indicator glowing. Press the clutch and the car starts again. Some interesting tidbits:
* If the ISSS has switched off the car and you unbuckle your / front passenger seat belt the car will start again.
* The ISSS system gets activated for 180 seconds (as per the RM) and after that it will re-start the car. I was not able to verify this.
+ The refinement is good till 2500 rpm.
+ The ride quality is compliant, however it doesn't have magic carpet ride of Duster or Hexa. One has to slow down at big potholes.
+ Boot gets a cladding.
+ Hood feels heavy and has a cladding too.
+ Cruise Control. Gets engaged above 40 kph only. Once engaged shows speed digitally on MID.
+ The engine had good grunt and I was able to push the car above 80 kph quite easily. The car was able to move away in second gear. So no need to downshift to first gear on a speed-breaker.
+ Seat belt warning (beep) for passenger and driver. It activates after some time and not immediately.
+ Gear shifts are slick and with a light clutch are a joy to operate.

- The engine gets vocal above 2500 rpm and the noise filters into cabin. Passengers will surely know if you are gunning the throttle.
- Cheap stalks that jut out of instrument console, with age old non illuminated switch gear. Blue needles look out of place.
- No reach adjustable steering.
- No intermittent variable wipers. No auto wipers as well.
- Beige carpets and power window panels. I could see them soiled on a new car.
- Old design steering wheel and horn is little hard to press.
- No digital speed in such a information rich MID. It only gets shown once you engage the Cruise Control.
- No metal bars behind the rear sets in trunk to prevent intrusion during a rear end collision.
- Speed warning system that beeps twice every minute on crossing 80 kmph. 120 kmph warning is good but shouldn't be continuous.
- Smart hybrid system - Either it was too seamless or it was negligible that never felt the torque assist from the Li-Ion battery. Saw the battery charging animation only once while coming downward on a flyover with foot off from accelerator and car in 4th gear.

Here are the on road prices for Jaipur. 4 weeks waiting quoted, which I believe is to create hype for a new launch. No offers as of now.

The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs-20180831_010428.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2018 at 17:12. Reason: typo
PraNeel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 01:28   #450
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Maruti Ciaz accessories list revealed.
Suzuki Connect is not in the list. Does it come standard with the Ciaz?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed