Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2018, 18:48   #256
BHPian

re: The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Somehow I am not all that enthused by new model/ facelift launches from Maruti nowadays. Two main reasons for this.

1. Labour costs at ASC's are hitting the roof. ~7k for a general service of a WagonR is plain daylight robbery.
2. Safety - Among the crappiest one can find out there. Today even Tata is able to give a much safer car with 4 star rating.
Agree with you on the 1st part.
On the 2nd part, I think the Maruti cars are safe but the sheet metal used can be thicker like in the S-cross. In thirst of mileage, they are making their cars lighter and lighter which means too many dings and even small incidents like in the accident thread today cause of a lot of damage

The S-cross is one vehicle that has good sheet metal. Not sure what prevents Maruti from using the same in the Ciaz and other vehicles
Old 12th August 2018, 09:00   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Somehow I am not all that enthused by new model/ facelift launches from Maruti nowadays. Two main reasons for this.

1. Labour costs at ASC's are hitting the roof. ~7k for a general service of a WagonR is plain daylight robbery.
2. Safety - Among the crappiest one can find out there. Today even Tata is able to give a much safer car with 4 star rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post

On the 2nd part, I think the Maruti cars are safe but the sheet metal used can be thicker like in the S-cross. In thirst of mileage, they are making their cars lighter and lighter which means too many dings and even small incidents like in the accident thread today cause of a lot of damage

The S-cross is one vehicle that has good sheet metal. Not sure what prevents Maruti from using the same in the Ciaz and other vehicles

I agree with the both of you.
I was once a fan of Suzuki. But now it's different. There was a time when their cars were fun to drive. This continued up to the swift. But from then part sharing and in the cringe for fuel efficiency, it's basically the same dish being served in different plates. Same goes for a few other companies too; all in the name of reliability and fuel efficiency. Hopefully the 1.5 l should change that. I was really hoping for the ciaz 1.6. That s cross 1.6 is a stonker of an engine. It would have really upped the ante.
knrn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 09:44   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

New Ciaz teaser goes live,

volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 10:24   #259
Senior - BHPian

New Maruti Ciaz to be launched later in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post

I test drove the S-Cross about the 4 months ago and although the overall build felt better than the Ciaz, I can tell you that this is no where to close to VW / Skoda or even Hyundai. I remember driving the S-Cross and Creta back to back on the same stretch of roads and there is a significant difference in the overall quality levels of both cars.

And a lot people rave about the 1.6 Diesel that used to be available in the S-Cross and I have driven it about 2 years back. And what is in paper does not necessarily turn out to be true in the road. If you have driven the VW 1.6 Diesel or even the Hyundai 1.6 Diesel, the so called DDIS320 in the S-Cross is nothing to really look at in awe.
The point I am the trying to state is that the S-Cross is itself awfully overrated, especially amongst enthusiasts. Hence that makes the overall quality levels of the Ciaz even more questionable, if you drive the new Verna and the Ciaz back to back you would understand the difference. True, all cars have pros and cons, but somehow i am unable to understand why Suzukis in India all feel the same, the Ciaz feels like the swift or vice versa. There is just no wow factor in the Suzukis above 10 Lakhs, where competition including even the likes of Tata Nexon and Ford Ecosport feel so much better.

Last edited by motorworks : 13th August 2018 at 10:27.
motorworks is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 16:32   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I test drove the S-Cross about the 4 months ago and although the overall build felt better than the Ciaz, I can tell you that this is no where to close to VW / Skoda or even Hyundai. I remember driving the S-Cross and Creta back to back on the same stretch of roads and there is a significant difference in the overall quality levels of both cars.
I own a Hyundai Verna CRDI SX(O) latest gen and had driven Ciaz before buying it. The Ciaz built quality and engine could not hold a candle against the Ciaz. I had also driven the S-Cross and felt the built quality of the S-cross to be comparable to Verna. S-cross is definitely one of the well built vehicles in India
Old 13th August 2018, 21:18   #261
BHPian

Folks at rushlane got the colour options and variant details. Petrol and diesel both get SHVS.

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/maruti-...-12277593.html
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs-b580d83a3b2942ddbe9a5ed691a151d1.jpeg  

mayanksabharwal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 08:38   #262
BHPian

Quote:
The point I am the trying to state is that the S-Cross is itself awfully overrated, especially amongst enthusiasts. True, all cars have pros and cons, but somehow i am unable to understand why Suzukis in India all feel the same, the Ciaz feels like the swift or vice versa. There is just no wow factor in the Suzukis above 10 Lakhs, where competition including even the likes of Tata Nexon and Ford Ecosport feel so much better.
Well respect your opinion. But, I beg to differ "S-Cross is awfully overrated".
While I do agree on the engine part, I certainly don't feel the same in other departments. After owning the the car for 3 years and that to the 1.3 L version, I can safely say that this is the best car by Maruti so far. Now facts :

1. Driving dynamics - better than every car in segment, creta nowhere near
2. Mileage - no need to mention
3. Space - Again better than creta
4. Features - People can argue but where is rear discs, telescopic steering, cruise control(it now has) to name a few in creta.
5. Build quality - Creta surely not better than VW/Skoda and S-cross no less than Creta
6. Reliability - I do agree that Hyundai cars as reliable as Maruti, but something still to catch up. For that matter I have never faced any mechanical issues in any of my current and previous Maruti cars.
7. Interior quality a.k.a (cheap plastics) - Wish I could show, hardly any noise even after 3 years from a Maruti. I don't see how Creta has superior quality here.

Now how a similar (no it's costlier) 1.4 Creta is better than s-cross?

The intention is not to hijack the ciaz thread and praise S-cross, some of the above points are true to Ciaz.

Why SX4 failed despite being a Maruti and Ciaz excels?
Why ciaz used in taxi segment but hardly any verna/city/vento etc?
Why ciaz moved to nexa and improved numbers?

Watch out for new ciaz, it just might do what S-cross V2 has done.

All I want to convey that don't judge a Maruti, solely because it's a "Maruti". Referring to another thread where it's said "Maruti rules the market because of herd mentality", if that's true then the same applies to the sales numbers of Creta "What's the novelty".
sou_3749 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 11:50   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
While I do agree on the engine part, I certainly don't feel the same in other departments. After owning the the car for 3 years and that to the 1.3 L version, I can safely say that this is the best car by Maruti so far.
Well put. S-cross is underrated and a top notch car - one of the best built cars in India. I can't wait to buy the Petrol version of it when it launches.

It is much more value for money than the other cars especially the Zeta versions.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 13:16   #264
BHPian

Quote:
True, all cars have pros and cons, but somehow i am unable to understand why Suzukis in India all feel the same, the Ciaz feels like the swift or vice versa. There is just no wow factor in the Suzukis above 10 Lakhs, where competition including even the likes of Tata Nexon and Ford Ecosport feel so much better.

Agreed. I own a Vitara Brezza & I can vouch that it just doesn't feel like a million rupees car. Poor quality of interiors cause so many rattles & those puny seats make life miserable of people with large build. That lifeless steering frustrates the hell out of me whenever I try to push it on curves; not to mention it's the same pathetic, a decade old steering wheel used in 1st Gen swift. Speaking of which, panel of power windows' button suck equally. Poor NVH level begs you to keep the car <2k RPM. I test drove Ciaz as well & had similar observations. In fact, 1.3 MJD on Ciaz felt even more underpowered due to engine tune set for 'Kitna deti hai'.

Rest, I can assure that Brezza excels in 'Kitna deti hai' part & resale value just like any other Maruti.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 01:12   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post

Agreed. I own a Vitara Brezza & I can vouch that it just doesn't feel like a million rupees car. Poor quality of interiors cause so many rattles & those puny seats make life miserable of people with large build. That lifeless steering frustrates the hell out of me whenever I try to push it on curves; not to mention it's the same pathetic, a decade old steering wheel used in 1st Gen swift.

Rest, I can assure that Brezza excels in 'Kitna deti hai' part & resale value just like any other Maruti.
Did you not TD the car before buying? You sure seems to be extremely unhappy with the car overall but still putting up? If it were me, I'd have sold it for a good resale and moved on to something better than living with something which doesn't excite me.

The steering is not from first gen Swift, it's from second gen. Power window switches though are from the first gen Swift.
swiftnfurious is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 08:58   #266
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th August 2018 at 08:38.
bhpfaninblr is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th August 2018, 12:17   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Did you not TD the car before buying? You sure seems to be extremely unhappy with the car overall but still putting up? If it were me, I'd have sold it for a good resale and moved on to something better than living with something which doesn't excite me.

The steering is not from first gen Swift, it's from second gen. Power window switches though are from the first gen Swift.
I was offered a humble 10-15 mins test drive before buying it. I booked the car in April 2016 (just after the launch) & due to extremely positive response the car received, it was hard to get hold of TD vehicle for longer duration. Anyway, lesson learnt the hard way.

The car was bought for the dad & he vetoed Brezza against Ecosports citing service availability in remote areas and better resale value. As dad doesn't drive anymore, I use it a daily drive (beater car) strictly within city limits. I don't have funds to walk into a showroom & replace it straight away. I am actively keeping an eye on olx from past few months for used Polo GT & Yetis. If something clicks, Brezza will straight away make the way for it
bhavik.1991 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 13:09   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
While I do agree on the engine part, I certainly don't feel the same in other departments. After owning the the car for 3 years and that to the 1.3 L version, I can safely say that this is the best car by Maruti so far. Now facts :

1. Driving dynamics - better than every car in segment, creta nowhere near
2. Mileage - no need to mention
3. Space - Again better than creta
4. Features - People can argue but where is rear discs, telescopic steering, cruise control(it now has) to name a few in creta.
5. Build quality - Creta surely not better than VW/Skoda and S-cross no less than Creta
6. Reliability - I do agree that Hyundai cars as reliable as Maruti, but something still to catch up. For that matter I have never faced any mechanical issues in any of my current and previous Maruti cars.
7. Interior quality a.k.a (cheap plastics) - Wish I could show, hardly any noise even after 3 years from a Maruti. I don't see how Creta has superior quality here.

Now how a similar (no it's costlier) 1.4 Creta is better than s-cross?

The intention is not to hijack the ciaz thread and praise S-cross, some of the above points are true to Ciaz.

Why SX4 failed despite being a Maruti and Ciaz excels?
Why ciaz used in taxi segment but hardly any verna/city/vento etc?
Why ciaz moved to nexa and improved numbers?

Watch out for new ciaz, it just might do what S-cross V2 has done.

All I want to convey that don't judge a Maruti, solely because it's a "Maruti". Referring to another thread where it's said "Maruti rules the market because of herd mentality", if that's true then the same applies to the sales numbers of Creta "What's the novelty".

Sorry for going off topic once again, but It sure does look like I offended the owner of an S-Cross! My post was not whether S-cross is better than the Creta or vice versa. My point is that cars such as the S-Cross, Ciaz and even the Brezza do not have any wow factor, considering you are spending 10-14 Lakhs on them. Sure, they are competent cars in their own way and I think a car like the Swift is a good fun to drive and VFM car. But once you cross 10 Lakhs, cars such as the Vento, City and the new Verna do feel special in terms of build or features etc. even the new Yaris has some very unique set of features. The S-Cross and the Ciaz are decent cars, but have no special feeling or USP apart from cheap to own and easy to service etc. Pretty neutral overall.

My point on the S-Cross being overrated was more to do with that 1.6 engine, I could be wrong, but when I did a brief drive it was not something that was very different from a VW 1.6 Diesel or a Hyundai 1.6 Diesel. Different figures on paper, but more or less similar on road.

We all have our opinions, but defending a car just because you own one does not sound objective.So lets say things as they are!
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 18:42   #269
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Ciaz to come with speed alert system

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

The Maruti Ciaz Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at ₹ 8.19 lakhs-ciaz-speed-alert-system.jpeg

The upcoming Maruti Suzuki Ciaz facelift will have a speed alert system and seat belt reminder for both driver and front passenger. These safety features will be available across all variants of the new Ciaz.

According to a leaked document, the speed alert system reminds the driver to maintain a safe speed. If the driver exceeds 80 km/h, the system prompts with 2 beeps every 60 seconds. Above 120 km/h, the system makes a continuous beeping sound. A similar system is also available on the Vitara Brezza.

The new Ciaz is expected to be launched later this month. Meanwhile, Maruti has already started accepting bookings. The new model will feature revised exterior and minor interior changes. It is likely to be offered with a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine in addition to a 1.3-litre, 4-cylinder diesel unit. 5-speed manual and 4-speed automatic transmissions are expected to be offered at launch.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 19:22   #270
Senior - BHPian

Just received a call from the Nexa showroom from whom I had test driven an S-cross earlier this year. The ciaz is getting launched next week and will be available for TD as per the executive.
AlphaKilo is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed