Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2018, 10:03   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: February 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Jeep Compass sales will fall a bit more. I expect it to settle at 1200-1500 odd unless they come with more loaded variants with ex-showroom price of 16 lakhs.
The Compass is missing a key ingredient of the 20+ lakh segment = A Diesel AT. They had better launch that soon. A Diesel AT will bring in new customers who otherwise would have bought something else. The situation is made worse because the Petrol AT is rather underwhelming IMHO.

Quote:
Waiting for teambhp review on Captur to see if these impressions are accurate.
Not too far away. Just adding the finishing touches on the review .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Consensus on Kodiaq was that , although a competent car, it would be a big flop due to the price and the Skoda baggage.
As is evident in our official review, we were hugely impressed by it. And I had stated earlier that in the 35 - 40 lakh segment, 5 lakhs isn't a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
One thing that really stands out to me when I look at this report, is how the growth of the automotive segment is moving towards better cars.
So true. Maruti is claiming that a lot more first-time car buyers are going straight for the Dzire. Typically, first-timers started off with a budget hatchback, then worked their way up the ladder. It's a combination of things = good cars, increasing salary levels, longer car loan durations, double-income families etc.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 10:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

February 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-160774.jpg

Interesting to note the single handed achievement of Hyundai in this pie chart. Every other country represented in this pie chart has 2 or more manufacturers contributing to those figures except Korea. Soon Kia will add on to that figure but again, it's still the same company. Quite a feat considering Hyundai didn't have the benefits and support of the government that some other manufacturers had when they started out. I'm not saying this because I own a Hyundai but just found it interesting nevertheless.
swiftdiesel is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 10:51   #18
BHPian

Tata loses out to M&M but it's remarkable that they are doing these numbers consistently. Another point to be noted is except for ZEST Tata don't have any offering for the Taxi market and the 10000 plus monthly sales for both Tiago/Tigor are private registrations. WagonR/DZire/Xcent have significant contribution from fleet/Taxi sales. Same is the case for Hexa vs Crysta.
damodar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 11:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Renault + Nissan + Datsun = 7305 + 990 + 3747 = 12042

WagonR = 14029

I am wondering how the showrooms and workshops of the trio are even surviving. Very little vehicle sold, very little to service. How much money they might be loosing per month ? And what type of incentives are being given to the dealers to keep them 'motivated' ?

Volkswagen + Skoda Numbers 4584 < Kwid sales 6000 odd ! What you will say for this ��

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th April 2018 at 11:40. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Old 8th March 2018, 12:45   #20
BHPian

Some observations from my end.

--Redigo continues to see roughly around 2700 units which is quite credible.

--Jump in Ecosport numbers with the refreshed model with WRV feeling the heat.

--Tucson and Elantra selling only around 150 odd units,will Hyundai pull the plug on these?

--Verna sales not scorching the sales chart yet despite the launch of the new model. Ciaz still continues to lead the segment.

--Compass continues to sell strongly with around 2000 units.

--Dzire,Baleno and the new Swift selling between 15000 and 20000 units,they are in a league of their own(besides Alto)
joy_swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 12:49   #21
th2
BHPian

Tiguan sales have almost doubled. I think it is a really good car though a bit pricey. Reminds me of the Chevrolet(Subaru) Forester.

Recommendations from early purchasers may be the reason behind the uptick.
Old 8th March 2018, 13:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Renault + Nissan + Datsun = 7305 + 990 + 3747 = 12042
WagonR = 14029
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnana View Post
Volkswagen + Skoda Numbers 4584 < Kwid sales 6000 odd ! What you will say for this 😜
Now one from my side..
Fiat India sold 34 units in total < Tata Nano sales figure alone
No one can't beat this.
Old 8th March 2018, 16:56   #23
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the Monthly Sales report for the month of Feb 2018.

Few observations from my side -

1. As expected, the New Swift has garnered more sales than its stablemate, Baleno. However, I thought the numbers would have breached the 20K mark which was not to be.

2. The other new car, albeit a facelifted one, the new i20 has posted its highest ever monthly sales since launch in Aug 2014. And both above factors, Swift and i20, combined to have an effect on Grand i10 which has moved its lowest numbers in the last 2 years.

3. Neck to Neck fight between Tiago and Celerio, however Celerio sales seems to be waning in the past few months - Celerio-X notwithstanding.

4. Baleno and Dzire seems unaffected by Swift launch and are still going strong, which is a very good news for MSIL.

5. Tigor has taken the 2nd position, from Xcent, in the Compact Sedan space - first time since its launch and I think this trend is likely to continue.

6. On the other hand, Amaze had its worst month since its launch and I am pretty sure this is due to the impending new generation car launch.

7. In the closely fought C2 Sedan Segment, Ciaz seemed to have taken the lead, with Verna in the 2nd place and City pushed to 3rd spot.

8. New gen Ecosport sales seems pretty good compared to the earlier generation and this has propelled Ford above Renault in the past 2 months. On the other hand, Duster is almost dead which is also one of the reason for Renault losing the spot to Ford.

9. Brezza and Creta sold almost similar numbers compared to their corresponding last month sales, however Nexon has lost some sheen this month. The facelifted S-Cross seems to doing decent numbers when compared to its pre-facelift version.

10. The age old Bolero is still the bread winner for M&M and helping them to stay above Tata. Compass seems to be losing numbers steadily which should be a worrying factor for Fiat.
jpcoolguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 16:58   #24
BHPian

Do we know the split of Ecosport diesel vs petrol sales ?
Old 8th March 2018, 19:05   #25
BHPian

A look at Top 25 cars, during the month of Feb, over the past few years.

February 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-feb_historic_1.png

February 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-feb_historic_2.png
jpcoolguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 19:11   #26
BHPian

As per the charts, a couple of Jettas were dispatched over December and January. Didn't they stop selling it?
Old 8th March 2018, 23:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Are there any classification which compares the “transmission type” example Manual Vs True Automatic Vs AMT ? I believe transmission type classification will gain more significance as cities are getting more crowded and its driving a behavior towards AT.
Old 9th March 2018, 10:35   #28
BHPian

- Indeed our market has come a long way since the auto revolution began in the mid 80’s. From a stage where having a motor car was itself a matter of rarity to a stage where the top selling model sits in C1 segment (3 steps above the price priority A segment). Besides three out of top five selling cars sits C1, B2 and B2 segments whereas only two sit in entry level A and B1 segments. This clearly indicates we are moving in the right direction.
- Ciaz beats the Verna and City thumbs down. The Verna in fact outsells the City. Rapid, Vento and Linea are lagging by miles.
- Ecosport continues its healthy run but remains the only running model from Ford; this is despite a marginal recovery of volumes by the Figo and Aspire.
- Jeep Compass numbers are fast falling. The sales team at FCA has to up their sleeves before it gets too late.
- Tense moment at Honda quarters. With City finishing at 3rd position, the Amaze numbers falling down amazingly, and reduction in WR-V numbers by about 900 units, Honda clearly has to come up with strategies to utilize the up-coming festive season and grab some lost ground.
- Hyundai executives should be happy with the boost in I20 numbers, whilst other runners viz., grand I10, Creta, Xcent et-al also doing usual numbers.
- FIAT, just one word 'eek', how do they survive with just 34 cars sold across the country.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 9th March 2018 at 10:38.
Old 9th March 2018, 11:20   #29
BHPian

A perusal of the sales chart clearly proves that some models are just not working in the market and there is absolutely no hope to revive them. Why then are manufacturers not pulling the plug on them?

Case in point: The Land Cruiser priced at Rs.1.4 crore sold a total of 5 units this year (January plus February 2018) whereas the Mahindra Nuvosport sold just 3!!!

Similarly, the Tata Nano sales too have gone in a free fall. On top of it, the fact that Tata has given it a plethora of updates since its launch without much success only convinces me that there’s no hope for the Ratan Tata’s dream car to ever achieve success.

Nano sales in January and February combined were a little over 110 units.

To conclude, Fiat seriously has no idea why is it present in India. All its models are dated with minor updates and as Maruti prepares to launch its own diesel engines, I wonder how long will Fiat survive on the royalties from the ‘national engine’.
captain.torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 11:25   #30
s10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by th2 View Post
Tiguan sales have almost doubled. I think it is a really good car though a bit pricey. Reminds me of the Chevrolet(Subaru) Forester.

Recommendations from early purchasers may be the reason behind the uptick.
I guess they are giving huge discounts to existing Jetta and Passat owners. One of my known got a whooping 5L (discount+buyback) for exchanging his 8 yrs old Jetta
Closed Thread

Most Viewed