Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2018, 12:19   #1
Team-BHP Support

February 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th April 2018 at 10:52.
Aditya is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 12:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: February 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 12:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 12:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 12:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 12:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Few Points

1. Fiat cars are dead. Jeep Compass is doing close to 2000 cars every month.

2. Figo, Aspire and Endeavour have improved their sales last month. But Ecosport numbers have declined if compared to January 2018.

3. Honda car sales have decreased last month. City is not C segment sedan king anymore.

4. Creta, I20 and Grand I10 have been top performers for Hyundai. Business as usual. Verna has overtaken City but it is behind Ciaz.

5. Maruti is doing very good as market leader. Baleno, Swift, Dzire and Brezza are helping Maruti to earn huge profits. S-Cross face lift is doing better than previous model. People of India have proved once again that engine doesn't matter, looks are the priority.

6. VW and Skoda are struggling. Tough times ahead. VW + Skoda = 4534, Omni = 6336

7. Renault - Nissan - Datsun : The dealers are surviving only because of Kwid and Redi Go. If these 2 cars were not launched, I am sure most of the dealers would have shut down.

8. Mahindra and Tata are at 3rd and 4th spot. Good going!

9.Out of top 10 cars sold last month,
Maruti : 6/10
Hyundai : 3/10
Mahindra : 1/10 (Bolero)

10. Nexa chain is number 3 car seller in India.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 7th March 2018 at 12:48.
Dr.Naren is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 13:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
7. Renault - Nissan - Datsun : The dealers are surviving only because of Kwid and Redi Go. If these 2 cars were not launched, I am sure most of the dealers would have shut down.
Renault + Nissan + Datsun = 7305 + 990 + 3747 = 12042
WagonR = 14029

I am wondering how the showrooms and workshops of the trio are even surviving. Very little vehicle sold, very little to service. How much money they might be loosing per month ? And what type of incentives are being given to the dealers to keep them 'motivated' ?
AutoNoob is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 13:08   #8
BHPian

Just two cents from me -

1. Jeep Compass sales will fall a bit more. I expect it to settle at 1200-1500 odd unless they come with more loaded variants with ex-showroom price of 16 lakhs.

2. Scross facelift seems to be a consistent performer at around 3000+ cars. Other than the looks, the facelift benefits from better tyres, projectors etc and has all the power and more importantly torque that most people would need for 99% of their usage. I won't be surprised if these numbers go up a bit more.

3. Duster's price cut may have an impact on the sales number but i am doubtful. There were already huge discounts on offer. They have to get the all new Duster asap and see if they can price Captur at par with Scross. Captur has more power and GC but Scross does have better interiors, more ease of use, Fuel efficiency and Maruti ASS backing/reliability. After driving scross at length,i have realized that Captur doesn't really offer that much more atleast for my usecase. Waiting for teambhp review on Captur to see if these impressions are accurate.

4. Creta will continue to do well. The diesel is a great package for most folks. Poor high speed composure and some handling deficiency will not matter for most folks. It would have been good to get a split of 1.4 vs 1.6 Diesels.

5. Verna sales are already flagging ?. This is surprising for what seemed to be a competent product with so many engine options.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 7th March 2018 at 13:12.
vishnurp99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 13:22   #9
BHPian

Maruti:
Swift numbers piling up... flashy new Swift's should be seen more often on our roads soon. Dzire still over 20K
S-Cross at 3K+ and Celerio at 6K+ are not considered hit products from Maruti. The goalpost is completely different for Maruti.

Ford:
EcoSport - vanity factor of a facelift seems to be vaning away quite soon. Back to 5K numbers, pre-face lift era average.

Honda:
Has to think about its product lineup seriously. WRV, City and Jazz running the show. Brio/Amaze/BRV - all siblings failing.

Hyundai:
What's up with i20. Sudden change in mood? Quite a spike in nos at 13k from usual 10K.
Xcent loses out to Tata Tigor.

Renault:
Kwid somehow managing the show for Renault.
Captur at 333. Has somebody at Renualt shed a tear yet?

Tata Motors:

Tiago and Nexon lead the resurgance fight. Tiago and Hexa could do well. Some marketing Tata? Some fresh new ads maybe? Cost saving, are we?

Toyota:

Crysta is performing as consistantly on sales charts as it does on the road. Fortuner numbers gradually reducing.

Isuzu:
Don't we get numbers?

Epic Battles -
M&M vs Tata Motors - this round goes to M&M. Tata short by 2500 nos.

Honda & Toyota - Toyota is able to engage Honda with just 2 blockbuster products. Honda relies on multiple average selling products.

Last edited by OrangeCar : 7th March 2018 at 13:24.
OrangeCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 13:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Verna sales are already flagging ?. This is surprising for what seemed to be a competent product with so many engine options.
The numbers are decent. Hyundai is also exporting new Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
What's up with i20. Sudden change in mood? Quite a spike in nos at 13k from usual 10K.
Change in mood.. Yes . New Face Lift I20.
Old 7th March 2018, 13:30   #11
BHPian

One thing that really stands out to me when I look at this report, is how the growth of the automotive segment is moving towards better cars.
A simple calculation comparing last year and this year's sales in the same month shows in which segments the growth of the industry is happening, and as you can clearly see, people are moving away from the A & B1 segment cars, which is a good thing.

February 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-growth.jpg

PS: I did not color code the Premium segment, because it is very low volume, and will have volatile sales.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 13:38   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Was intrigued by the numbers of Skoda. Consensus on Kodiaq was that , although a competent car, it would be a big flop due to the price and the Skoda baggage. Looks like that was atleast partially wrong.Average of 200-225 units a month seems pretty respectable and it is also consistently outselling the Octavia and the Superb. Looks like it has found a niche audience willing to pay the premium such a package.

The Rapid also continues to outsell the Vento comfortably.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 14:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Was intrigued by the numbers of Skoda. Consensus on Kodiaq was that , although a competent car, it would be a big flop due to the price and the Skoda baggage. Looks like that was atleast partially wrong.Average of 200-225 units a month seems pretty respectable and it is also consistently outselling the Octavia and the Superb. Looks like it has found a niche audience willing to pay the premium such a package.
Yes! From what I see Skoda is now in a comfortable position when compared to its more aristocratic sibling VW. All their CKD cars are doing pretty well, and expect the numbers to be stable. I guess a couple of additional variants for the Kodiaq won’t hurt.

Last edited by navin : 7th March 2018 at 14:14. Reason: quote missing.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 14:18   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
3. Honda car sales have decreased last month. City is not C segment sedan king anymore.
I assume this might be because of impending launch of the Yaris.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...po-2018-a.html
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 14:20   #15
Team-BHP Support

HM-Mitsubishi are about to launch the new Pajero? No sales in Feb maybe a hint. Would wish to see MU-X and V-Cross numbers.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed