Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2018, 04:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: OLX says 3/4th of all online used car sales happen on its platform

Well, I sold 24 of my cabs on Olx. Most of the buyers were local NCR guys, some came from far away like Jharkhand and Telangana.

Olx was indeed a big big help. And the cost of promoting and giving multiple ads is also nominal.

The response on Quikr was nowhere close to Olx. I would say not even 5%.
ashutoshb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 11:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Like most BHPians, I have had a good experience with this platform too. Although, I haven't made a purchase yet, I did mange to sell my HR26 registered Tata Nano from the comfort of my home in Pune (the car was also in Pune at the time). Within a couple of weeks I found a genuine buyer in Gurgaon and the car was shipped to him in the following week.

The only major problem with using OLX is that you can't blindly trust someone, especially in my case, where the buyer was 1500 km away.
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 11:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
What we don't know is offline (via organized and unorganized used car dealerships) to online sales mix. But still, if the entire used car market size is 3.8 to 4.3 million, its unlikely that OLX was responsible for 3 million sales because I'd assume that offline used car sales are still very significant.
If nation-wide RTO statistics of new registrations and transfers were made public, it would give a very accurate picture of the market - but i don't know if they would ever do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Edit: Just a thought - what if a large volume of buyers on OLX are offline re-sellers?
From my recent experience, undoubtedly YES, they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
These things might be skewing the numbers that OLX is looking at. And as a marketing strategy, OLX might not be worried about these differences as well since it is always good to have such inflated or big number when you are trying to issue an advertising material.
Very right, and in any case OLX hasn't shared their methodology used to arrive at the claim, so one needs to take it with a pinch of salt anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
My car buying & selling experience on OLX was not so good, almost all the used cars I saw were priced on higher side (way more than the market value), even if the cars were 12-16 years old the odometer reading in most cases were around 45000-55000 km only . Most of the sellers were car dealers, even today finding a genuine seller on OLX is difficult (at least in OLX Assam).
I completely agree with all your observations, my experience with OLX Mumbai was very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
I had placed an ad on another platform as well. To this day it has not been removed and I have not received a SINGLE follow up from it.
My selling experience was exactly the opposite of yours ! I got multiple ridiculously low quotes on OLX from people who didn't even bother to see the vehicle. By contrast, my listing on another platform got the first response within a couple of hours of listing (late evening), and was inspected and bought by that person the very next day (personal use buyer, not dealer). And I did make it a point to de-activate all listings, correctly indicating sold on this portal, sold elsewhere etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
The response on Quikr was nowhere close to Olx. I would say not even 5%.
Agree to this, I too experienced relatively poor response.
//HB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 14:53   #19
BHPian

I also find that the number of responses from Olx is more. I have sold my previous car at a very good price. my previous TV (29" CRT) was also sold on Olx.

Even have listed a property in bangalore and compared all other property related portals, Olx has given more leads.
ant_vas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 15:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I found my car on OLX. IIRC, my Civic's buyer was found via OLX too. I realised the power of OLX when I heard of two stories:

1. BHPian Parrys listed his bike for sale on a Saturday, and in less than 48 hours, it was sold.
!
I have a similar story when I purchased my Pulsar 200 NS in April 2014. The seller (a very nice gentleman) posted his ad around 7:00 PM in the evening, I saw a few minutes later. Got in touch immediately, arranged a time of 9:00 AM next day to view and test ride (I reached at 8:30 AM ). Shook hands and paid a token amount by 9:00 AM and the bike was home in the afternoon).
Though I am not in the market for a car or a bike for another 6 months or so but I do end up regularly browsing the ads on OLX.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 03:08   #21
BHPian

One more happy customer of OLX. I was able to sell my swift in OLX. Got a decent deal compared the mediocre price from Maruti truevalue.
Old 9th March 2018, 16:31   #22
BHPian

I wonder whether there will be any impact in OLX and other online platforms, due to the below Supreme Court order which mandates that the Seller is responsible for any mishaps, after sale, if the ownership has been changed in RC book.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62812223.cms
Old 9th March 2018, 17:42   #23
BHPian

I sold my bike through OLX exactly one year ago. The buyer called within 1 hour, took the test ride the day after, and I sold him the bike after two days. The RC was also transferred within 3 weeks. That was my first and only experience in OLX till date.

Prior to listing in OLX, I had enquired the price at the dealership. They quoted such a low price that it made me to list the bike in OLX. Needless to say, I got double the amount of money which the dealer offered.
Old 9th March 2018, 21:13   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

While I haven’t sold a car on OLX yet, I have sold my S-class OE rims for a great price on it! It would be have been impossible for me to get even quarter the price I got had I sold it to a regular tyre shop.

For car selling Carwale had been the best for me. However, they have changed their business model for the worse. You could earlier pay to get a premium posting of your ad on Carwale but now that is not possible and only car authorised dealers who buy a package from them are allowed this. Hence as an individual seller you barely get any hits with your free posting.
Old 26th March 2018, 18:58   #25
BHPian

Posted my car for sale (Fiesta 1.6) on OLX and Quikr on Saturday morning 9:30 A.M, by 02:00 P.M I had about 6-7 responses from OLX users, none from Quikr.

I closed the deal (75% higher than one offered by dealer) at 15:30, talk about fast!!!
anandtheleo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 00:55   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Posted my car for sale (Fiesta 1.6) on OLX and Quikr on Saturday morning 9:30 A.M, by 02:00 P.M I had about 6-7 responses from OLX users, none from Quikr.

I closed the deal (75% higher than one offered by dealer) at 15:30, talk about fast!!!
That indeed is fast! And I was feeling happy about closing the deal on my 2014 520d in a weeks time
Old 27th March 2018, 07:08   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

OT Question - Where does Team BHP classifieds stand vs Olx on sales (car and bikes)? Any guessimates (if no sold data is tracked)?
Old 27th March 2018, 08:41   #28
BANNED

I am also looking for used ecosports in Bangalore .Compared to all other sites , OLX is the best and we get lots of models and quick response. I have finalized 2016 titanium model last week.
Old 27th March 2018, 17:04   #29
BHPian

Sorry- a little OT.

Going through this thread, I can't help but be reminded of the time when Olx and Quikr were both launched in quick succession. While it was clear that the time was ripe for entry in this space, they both had similar business model (targeting sellers initially, to get ad postings up) and frankly, very similar profile. There was very little to choose between the two.

And then Olx launched its "Olx pe bech de" ["Sell it on Olx"] campaign. It was a very basic tagline, something that one would use/say in everyday life (unlike a "yeh dil maange more" etc.). But that was it's appeal and my word, it was catchy. People added it to their vocabulary as part of jokes and there were countless memes created on it. It propelled Olx to (eventually) become synonymous online marketplace for buying and selling second hand goods.

Quickr panicked, and got some IPL stars to do a random- "Quickerrrrr, Quickr" campaign. Naah dude, doesn't cut, does it? Even after so many years, you know which campaign appeals to you.

The power of marketing. Of course it has to be followed up with consistent user experience and word of mouth. But it was that campaign that kick started the subsequent actions which made Olx the giant it is today.

Last edited by Vitalstatistiks : 27th March 2018 at 17:08.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 18:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

I have sold my VW Polo on OLX, Took me a couple of days to get a buyer & paying 1500 INR on carwale was actually a waste, I really feel carwale is flooded with dealers to buy & sell both,

OLX still seems to be a little individual biased atleast when it comes to cars, I still find many cars listed on olx by individuals then on carwale, Have also sold many other things from OLX quickly, Selling it directly to an individual mostly means a fair price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks